Start by marking “Halfskin (Halfskin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Halfskin (Halfskin, #1)

Halfskin

(Halfskin #1)

Biomites are artificial stem cells that can replace any cell in your body. No more kidney failure, no severed spines or blood disease. No cancer. Pharmaceuticals become obsolete. With each dose of biomites, we become stronger, we become smarter and prettier.

We become better.

At what point are we no longer human?

Nix Richards nearly died in a car accident when he was young.
Published November 30th 2012

Jim
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, 1ebook, 2fiction
As usual, Bertauski didn't take the normal path. Biomites, medicine, & lives collide in our world with religion & law. There were a few things I kept waiting to see addressed. They weren't. Instead the story went in some very interesting other directions. I'm not quite sure where we wound up, but it was an interesting trip & I still have a lot to think about.

Perhaps the coolest thing about this is that it isn't really that far out in any respect. I was just reading an article by Kurz
Tony Bertauski
Dec 01, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
BERTAUSKI STARTER LIBRARY is FREE!
Get 3 full-length novels and 1 novella…Just tell me where to send them.
Joey Woolfardis
The next great book-a future classic-is going to be a modern-day 1984 about technology, but the kind that is infused in our own bodies, not just on the outside trying to get in. I feel quite confident in saying that, and also in saying that it will become a reality, as well.

Halfskin is that kind of book, and whilst it refers to 1984 and Big Brother, it doesn't quite come close to it's literary mastery... at all. Sadly.

Halfskin has intrigue in spades and always seems to manage to edge close towar
Clare dooley
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. This is the 4th book that I have read by him & one thing that stands out is how knowledgable he is when it comes to technology. Which is ironic because I'm considered by most tekkis as a luddite.
First I will start with the pro's. I really enjoyed the way he had multiple point of views rotating through out the story. My personal favorite was the chapter's written from the "unknown" writer. They were also the ones that resonated w/ me.
I have had numerous conversations w/
Chiqui
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for honest feedback.

I had some expectations on how Halfskin was going to go: Lots of action scenes, rebellions against the government, etc., so I was surprised when the novel took on a different direction, which isn't a bad thing at all.

For me, Halfskin was a character study kind of novel. It was the story of Cali, Nix, and Marcus, and their thoughts, beliefs, and struggles in a world with the technology of biomites: artificial cells can repair
Jill
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I've been getting a little burned out on urban fantasy lately, so I was glad to jump at the chance to review this little sci-fi novel. Sci-fi and high fantasy were my first favorite genres and I like to sample them on occasion when I grow bored of my new favorite genre.

The story got off on a bang, and sucked me in from the start. In the world that the author has created, mankind is using nano technology to improve our health, looks, and intelligence. As the technology evolves, as with anything,
Deborah Sastroredjo
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
I rate a book as good if it can keep me up at night. This is one of these books. The thing I liked about it is that it was a different story then vampires and werewolves that we are coming across these days. Not that I don't like it, but with very little effort you can "see" this happening in the future, with all the nanotech people are trying to develop nowadays. And the fanatics brr!
Tony Bertauski did a good job portraying all these aspects, I loved it. The only reason I gave it three stars wa
Maureen
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I hope an author never feels slighted when I say that his or her work was one of the books that I read in between other books. I read so many different things, for so many different reasons, but there is certain type of book that takes me back to being a teenager and helps me to refresh and just be entertained.

Neat concepts here, and while I could never get my book club to read something like this, my brain won't let me ignore the fact that there could be some great discussions around the bioet
Ana
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it

Halfskin gripped me from the beginning. This is a perfect example of a well written book. It is so rich and yet never heavy because the language is extremely accessible and it keeps a great pace.

When I read that first part, my first impression was that there were a lot of characters. But as the narrative advanced, I could keep up with most of them easily enough. I was baffled at how such an ordinary situation, one all of us can relate to in our own lives,
N.N. Light
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good.
Caleb Blake
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cross-posted from Papyrus Independent Author Reviews (http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2013/03/12/halkskin-by-tony-bertauski/)

Biomites. Artificial stem cells, revolutionary in the treatment of almost everything – repairing or enhancing. But at what point does the artificial overwhelm the natural? At what point to we replace ourselves with our invention? What does it mean to remain human in an in-human age?

Halfskin is, at its heart, a techno-thriller. The main character targeted for death by an almo
Eugenia (Genie In A Book)
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, ebooks, r2r
* 4.5 stars

First off I'd like to thank the author for providing a copy to me for review. Halfskin is the third of Tony Bertauski's novels that I have read so far, and as with the other two I thoroughly enjoyed it. We are introduced to a world where people are using biomites to improve their abilities and make themselves stronger. Nix, an eighteen year old boy, is approaching the point where he is almost 50% biomite - which would make him both halfskin and illegal. Marcus Anderson is the man toa
Bai
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Humanity is on the brink of a new dawn. Biomites, nanobots cabaple of biological manipulation, have pushed mankind to the realm of perfection...but at a cost. Biomites, medicine, & lives collide in a new world with religion & law. Now, people with over 50% biomites in their body are termed as 'halfskins', people who have no right to live, and are terminated by a supercomputer who can't be escaped. But Cali and Nix, just might do the impossible...

The theme
Halfskin by Tony Bertauski is a n
Stina
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book by the author in exchange for a fair review.

Let’s just be honest, Tony Bertauski doesn’t need to butter up his readers with free goods to get nice reviews, because his work more than speaks for itself. Everything of Tony’s I read is even better than the last, and once I started this book, I had to finish it.

Halfskin was not only an intriguing concept, but was fantastic in its execution. Tony is an author that excels in writing about technology that is amazing and
Stephanie
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This was a new and different concept for me and I thought that the idea was well established and believable but the story was a bit blah for me, but I will say the conspiracy theorist in me was pleased by the 1984 reference:
"I mean, Big Brother was just a pea shooter compared to M0ther."
and I did enjoy all the scientific back round with the Biomites and M0ther but the story itself was not that exciting.
Cali and Nix were a cu
Inday
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Before anything else. I LOVE THE COVER! As an art enthusiast, I like the way the image somehow conveys the feeling of mixed fragility and power both meld on each other.

To be honest, I'm not much of a sci-fi reader, But then I felt like I'm being burned out by all the urban fantasy thingy lately, So yeah, This was a reprieve. Okey,back to serious business. I liked the story on this book, It was original, The POV's constantly shift so as to give each character fairness on their cause. I especially
Lauren
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. I was skeptical when I saw how short it was but I was anything but disappointed. The concept is amazing and the characters were so well written that I really felt like I was right there with them. I didn't expect to have such strong emotional reactions but there were a few points where I couldn't do anything but think "oh my gosh...". My biggest complaint with shorter books is that I almost always have so many questions when I'm finished and I' ...more
Travis Mohrman
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed both of the books in the "Foreverland" series, so I figured I would give this one a try. I was not disappointed. The idea that people have to be "shut down" when their biomites get over 50% of their body is kind of frightening, but the story is very well executed. This author obviously has some kind of fascination with dreams and dreamworlds. The only complaint I had was that Nix's dreamplace wasn't explored just a bit more, but that may be coming in a sequel (if a sequel is pla ...more
Bee
I read this one two days ago, but I forgot to put up a review. So here it is!

Don't have much to say actually. I liked it. The idea of the story was original, what I like in a book, and the characters were also fun. So yeah, it was good! It's not my favorite kind of book, but nonetheless, I enjoyed reading it. So thumbs up to the author!
Sorry the review is kind of short. =)

I received a copy of this book through the Read it and Reap-program from Goodreads-group Shut up & Read in exchange for
J. Else
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tablet-reads

Halfskin deals mainly with technology and its impact on society. However, its main flaw is in its lack of character balance. There is only 1 religious person in the novel, and he’s an extreme conservative. He’s what the media likes to make Christians out to be, intolerant and stubborn. While Bertauski religious fanatic’s reasonings made logical sense and portrayed the character as genuinely seeing his job as saving humanity, I really wanted to see another religious person who was accept
iamnotabookworm
I got this autographed paperback copy from the author. Thank you again, Tony Bertauski. I have read Humbug: The Unwinding of Ebeneezer Scrooge of the Claus series and really enjoyed it. When the author asked who wants to get a copy of this book, I was faster than Road Runner and responded to his call.

This book reminds me of Robin Cook's Chromosome 6 and Ken Follet's Third Twin. One thing common among them is the theme--bio-engineering thriller. This book is at par with the two famous writers' wo
Yzabel Ginsberg
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
(Book provided by the author through ARR #728 in the Making Connections group, in exchange for an honest review.)

This book surprised me in more than one way. It wasn't exactly what I expected it to be at first (I think I expected something like car chases and the usual stuff you see in books/movies when an innocent has to elude the government/FBI/police), but this in itself wasn't a problem, because what I got instead was just as interesting, if not more.

A few months ago, I read "The Annihilatio
A
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is for Halfskin audiobook by Tony Bertauski, narrated by David Dietz. Runtime 7.5 hours.

Brief Summary: Nix Richards nearly died in a car accident when he was young. Biomites saved his life. Ten years later, he's not so lucky. The Halfskin Laws decree a human composed of 50% biomites is no longer human. Halfskins have no legal rights and will have their biomites shutdown. It's not called murder, merely deactivation.
Cali Richards has been Nix's legal guardian since their parents died.
Ashley
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
I found this book to be a little bit confusing. It was told from a bunch of different point of views, the story line on the other hand was really good.

Biomites are artificial stem cells, which can help keep a person alive who would other wise die. They are also used by selfish people for looks and everything else, if you had cancer or were in an accident then they would give you Biomites to get rid of that cancer or to repair the damage done by an accident. Everything was good and Biomites were
Chris Torretta
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You know I had to read this after seeing that cover.

And the synopsis… like what?!

Ok, so this starts and I was completely into the narration. Loved every minute of it. The storyline is all about Nix and the narration surrounding him was so good that I knew when he was talking or when his sister was talking. It really helped me delve into this rather mysterious and just plain weird story.

This is dystopian and I just love, love, love dystopians. There so much that the characters have to deal with a
John Brewer
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Plot: 5
Characters: 5
Setting: 4
Execution: 3
Cover: 3

Halfskin by Tony Bertauski is a story set in a near future. Most of the setting is familiar except nanotechnology, in the form of biomites, is being used to enhance, heal, and perfect the human body. However, harkening to the well known “grey goo scenario,” there are those who fear that these biomites will ultimately bring out the extinction of mankind. As a result, laws have been put in place to limit the percentage of biomites that make up a pe
Niles
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
With the advent of nuclear power and nuclear weapons, as well as man's trips to the moon, the 20th century was the century of physics breakthroughs. The 21st century will be known as the century of biology. This book explores the up and coming field of nanotechnology.
In the not to distant future, artificial stem cells known as biomites are used to treat almost any affliction, from life saving to vanity procedures. However, the scientists have not found a way to turn the biomites off after they h
David Slater
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
While most calls for tighter regulation of nanotechnology these days relate to human health and safety risks, Halfskin comes at it from another angle: at what point does a genetically engineered person cease to be human? If their mere existence is a threat to the human race, do we have the right to shut them down?

The Richards' live in a world where artificial stem cells, called biomites, can replicate and improve upon the cells we were born with, called clay. Unfortunately, biomites continue to
Justine
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the auor for a Read 2 Reveiw in exchange for an honest review. This is the second book that I have read by Tony Bertauski and let me say that I liked this one better. This story had more life to it and I didn't find it as jumpy as the other one I read. Halfskin is an original idea that flowed freely throughout the whole book. I loved the idea of bio mites and the amazing things that they can do. I just wished that there had been more background information on t ...more
Lynda Bester
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Why You Were Taken (When Tomorrow Calls, #1)
  • The Man Who Ended the World
  • Immortality
  • Connected
  • Dream War
  • Under the Amoral Bridge (The Bridge Chronicles, #1)
  • Zombiesque
  • From the Indie Side
  • Prime Suspects: A Clone Detective Mystery
  • The Halo Revelations
  • Talion
  • Ambassador (Ambassador #1)
  • Gods of Blood and Bone (Seeds of Chaos, #1)
  • Dancing With Eternity
  • Coding Isis
  • Fireseed One
  • Mary Paige (The Blood Vivicanti #1)
  • And They Called Her Spider (Bartleby and James Adventures - Galvanic Century - Book 1)
Get my books FREE. Tell me where to send them at http://bertauski.com

He grew up in the Midwest where the land is flat and the corn is tall. The winters are bleak and cold. He hated winters.

He always wanted to write. But writing was hard. And he wasn’t very disciplined. The cold had nothing to do with that, but it didn’t help. That changed in grad school.

After several attempts at a proposal, his ma

Halfskin (3 books)