Start by marking “Words with Wings” as Want to Read:
Words with Wings

Words with Wings

Gabby’s world is filled with daydreams. However, what began as an escape from her parents’ arguments has now taken over her life. But with the help of a new teacher, Gabby the dreamer might just become Gabby the writer, and words that carried her away might allow her to soar. Written in vivid, accessible poems, this remarkable verse novel is a celebration of imagination, o ...more
Published September 1st 2013 by WordSong (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Words with Wings, please sign up.
Julie Suzanne A library. Borrow it from a friend. Anything else is illegal and unethical?

Start your review of Words with Wings
Ed
Sep 14, 2013 added it
Grimes, N. (2013). Words with wings. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mill Press. 96 pp. ISBN: 978-1-59078-985-8. (Hardcover); $15.95.

In all fairness, as much as I adore this book, I am not the best person to review it. I am, however, the BEST person to talk about one of the characters in the book because that person is the real, live, nonfiction ME! If one takes a look at the acknowledgment page, one will see that the teacher character in this book is named for me because of several questions I an
Mrs. P
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
**ARC thanks to Netgalley**

To be honest, when I opened the book tonight, I was just planning to skim the first few pages to get the gist for now. That did not happen -- I started reading the first poem and did not stop until I read the last. Halfway through, I was salivating to share with my next-year students.

The vivid language, the simple (yet, oh-so-deep) story....perfection.

mindful.librarian ☀️
I absolutely LOVED this one about the beauty of daydreams and a teacher who recognized the importance of them ~ I think it would be great to pair this somehow with the picture book Happy Dreamer by Peter Reynolds. And have I mentioned how accessible verse is?? All that white space makes my eyes and brain happy.....this would be an amazing choice to hand to a 4th or 5th grader struggling to make it through a standard novel format.
KC
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A delightful, creative and imaginative way of one girls look at life through daydreaming.
Alison
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a daydreamer of divorced parents, I really connected with this. It is told in poems and follows a young girl who has issues with daydreaming too much. Th poems are vivid and really capture the essences of the words and what they mean to a kid. It was like reading memories of my own. The ending was heartwarming to top it all off. Overall I really enjoyed this read.
Ellie F
really good, I recommend this book to people who like reading books in a day or two! I also liked how the end ended!
lucy  Ü
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
wow. this book was so cute and has inspired me so much as to who I want to be as a future teacher. i want my students and just every child to know the impact that words can have and just how powerful your imagination can be. your imagination sets you free. it allows you to step away from the chaos of this world and enter into your own little sanctuary that is filled with magic.

the best part of this sweet little book is how the teacher did not scold gabriella for daydreaming, he urged her to con
Laura Salas
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
This beautiful story in poems presents a daydreamer kid and a teacher who really makes a difference in her life. Excellent imagery, interesting story arc, and a sympathetic main character made this story one that I zipped right through. It was totally satisfying, even though I didn't really want it to end! A real gem.
Cheryl
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short 'n' sweet novel in verse, for any age 7 to 12 as I never caught just how old Gabby is.
Sarai
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a delicate, whimsical, dreamy kind of book about a young girl who can't stop daydreaming. This would make an excellent read-aloud. It's a relatively short book, but packed with thoughts and ideas.

Book description:
Maren
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was so good! one of my favorite books of all time. sometimes it was sad but it ends on a happy note! this book went by really fast
Tamera Wissinger
Words with Wings by Nikki Grimes is a tenderly written contemporary verse novel with a sensitive, imaginative young protagonist – Gabrielle (named after the angel Gabriel because, “He was so fierce people fainted at the very sight of him.” There is much to love about this story told in Gaby’s first person narrative voice. First and foremost, it does exactly what a good verse novel should do: the poems work together to each reveal more of the story as Gaby struggles to cope with her parent’s divo ...more
Umit N
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who is willing to read a book that they'll finish in the same day!
Words with Wings.

This book is a wonderfully short, nicely written little novel with great imagery to make you feel that you're in the book's scene yourself. Although I am not a great fan of short books that end quite quickly, this one was quite entertaining, and the story did not take long at all to start off.

This is one of my first novel in-verse books that I have ever read, and it turns out, they aren't so bad after all. However, one specific thing that I liked about this book is the way the '
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This brief novel in verse describes the life of Gabby, whose family has split up and who has just started a new school. Gabby is a daydreamer, which is a problem when the teacher is talking or when she's doing chores at home. Her classmates avoid her, thinking she's strange. Will she ever make friends?

I particularly like the solution that Gabby's teacher comes up with to cope with her daydreaming. Very clever, and based on a real teacher's real solution.

I also especially like the poems where wor
Beth Honeycutt
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad we found this book! I think it will be wonderful for our whole-school read aloud and to tie into our author visits in 2015-2016.

I have some ideas already about how to use it in my 8th grade classroom:

Book

Say "book"
And I abandon all reason...
Betsy
One Sentence Review: Sweet little story, though I should probably say I can't honestly review it since I know personally the "Mr. Spicer" mentioned within its pages.
Mary Lee
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A peek into the mind of a daydreamer, and a teacher to add to our Great Teachers in Children's Literature list on the blog.
Frank
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. Lovely poems about a daydreamer.
Stanley
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating description and vocabulary. A book dripping with inspiration.
Megan Kodweis
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Some words sit still on the page holding a story steady. Those words never get me into trouble. But other words have wings that wake my daydreams. They fly in....and carry my thoughts away"

This quote is on page 11 of this wonderful book by Nikki Grimes and I think is a great example of the the free verse poetry that can be expected from this book.

We meet Gabby, a young girl who is learning to deal with her parents divorce, moving, switching schools, and feeling like the "weird" kid at school.
Maura Murphy
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wow-books
Words with Wings is a novel in verse that could be read in any 3-5 classroom. This book is written from the perspective of Gabby, a young girl that loves to daydream, even though it often distracts her from what she is supposed to be doing, such as chores or listening in class. She is also struggling with her parent's divorce, living with her mom who does not seem to understand her, and missing the father she feels closer to. With the help of her teacher and a new friend at her school, Gabby lea ...more
Ellen
This is a charming little children's book written in free verse about Gabriella, a young girl who sees words with wings; that is the way she describes her constant daydreaming. Her mother and father have recently separated and she has had to move to a new house and a new school. Gabby misses her father and the closeness that the three of them shared. She also misses her old school and friends since at the new school she is seen as being odd. Her mother and her teacher are always telling her to p ...more
Jenny
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this after one of my students repeatedly talked to me about how much she loved this book. I finally had the opportunity to read Words with Wings, yesterday, when she returned her copy to the library and told our librarian to make sure I was the next person to read it. When I had a quiet moment I finally read this book and it brought me to tears due to the writing, the language, and the reason this particular student had connected to this book. She has significant reading difficulties, but ...more
Ashley
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
For my fifth WOW book review, I read the novel in verse Words with Wings by Nikki Grimes. Words with Wings follows the story of a young Gabby whose parents went through a divorce. With everything else that is changing, she just moved schools and is a total outsider. Her classmates, with the exception of her friend Cheri (and eventually David), see her as weird and reserved. Her escape is through daydreams signaled by certain words that fly her away. Her teacher notices her habits, and uses it to ...more
Meg
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lovely little book of poems in free-verse narrative style. What do you do with a daydreamer? While the poems were simple, I think the best part of this was how it got me inside the mind of a daydreamer - perhaps helping me to understand and have compassion for some of my students like this and also my son. I can be so impatient with his “lack of focus” as we call it. So I found some great ideas in here for working WITH and not against the dreamers.
Heidi Burkhart
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Grimes has so many fabulous books to her credit. This one is very short, which is especially nice for kids who don't gravitate towards long books. I would recommend it to kids who perhaps cannot attend to the real world as it is their daydreams that get them through the day. Gabby learns to use words and poetry to express herself.

Recommended!
Jess
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short, vivid novel in verse, full of daydreams and a few hard realities. Perfect for absorbing in two afternoon breaks.
Sara Boscaino
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful mentor text for young children. Favorite lines, “Mom names me for a/ creature with wings, then wonder/ what makes my thoughts fly” (Grimes 22).
Paula
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this quick read. I loved the changes in fonts between narration and daydreaming.
Jeimy
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful novel in verse about appreciating and making the most of our individual gifts and talents.
Play Book Tag: Words with Wings by Nikki Grimes - 4 stars 3 12 Jun 16, 2018 12:32PM
2017 Reading Chal...: Words with Wings 2 23 May 13, 2015 06:27PM

• Gone Fishing: A Novel in Verse
  • Little Dog, Lost
  • Gone Camping: A Novel in Verse
  • Sweet Lily Pitter Patter, What You Do Surely Matters: (To the Trees & the Bumbling Bees)
  • Rhyme Schemer
  • Elvis and the Underdogs
  • Unbound: A Novel in Verse
  • Serafina's Promise
  • My Life as a Ninja (My Life, #6)
  • I Survived The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 : A Graphix Book
  • Woke: A Young Poet's Call to Justice
  • The List of Things That Will Not Change
  • New Kid (New Kid, #1)
  • Genesis Begins Again
  • Nooks & Crannies
  • Just Like Me
  • Liberty (Dogs of World War II)
  • The Red Pencil