Start by marking “When No One is Watching” as Want to Read:
When No One is Watching

When No One is Watching

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  177 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
When no one is watching, it's easy to be brave -- to dance and sing, growl and cheer. But when everyone's watching, this book's shy young narrator finds it far easier to hide. With her best friend, Loretta, though, she doesn't feel shy, embarrassed, awkward, or odd -- not one bit. Together they're like two peas in a pod, whether anyone's watching or not.Any readers who hav ...more
Unknown Binding, 28 pages
Published February 7th 2013 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published February 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about When No One is Watching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When No One is Watching

Randy
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
How do we behave when we're sure no one is watching? In this picture book, the main character is a different person when she is alone. When in a crowd, or at school, or even with her family, she becomes quiet, and withdrawn. Thankfully she has a friend with whom she feels comfortable so that together they can be their true selves.
Samantha
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, shy
A well written book about the experiences of a shy girl. The narrator clues readers in on the types of things she does when someone is and isn't watching.

Ink and watercolor artwork is rich with texture and excels at capturing both sequencing and movement as the main character is depicted in an array of activities on each two page spread. Color is used very effectively to create a visual difference between the shy narrator and the rest of her world.

This is one of those books where you can just
Tasha
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
With all of the discussion about quiet and introverted children in classrooms right now, this book could not be more timely. For those of us who were shy as children, you will recognize yourself in these pages. Told in first person, the young female narrator finds it easy to be herself when no one is watching. She is able to dance and spin when alone, but finds herself off to one side when her extended family gets together. Alone she can be brave and imaginative, when on the playground with othe ...more
Rebecca Reid
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: c-kids-pb
When No One is Watching by Eileen Spinelli and illustrated by David A. Johnson (Eeerdmans Books for Young Readers, 2013) is about a girl who loves to be crazy (dancing, singing, grunting disapproval, and so forth) but only when no one is watching. If she's around others, she is quite and sullen. She's withdrawn and unhappy. At the end, we find that she likes it this way. Her best friend is the same way, and when they are together, they can be crazy together. I am a true introvert myself, althoug ...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A girl talks about her being shy around others and how she is herself when no one is there. But when people are there, she hides, keeps to herself and doesn’t want anyone to notice her. When she is alone, she is brave and she dances and she has a loud voice. The girl also tells us that with her friend (who is also shy) she feels more brave and less shy. Together the friends “don’t care who’s watching at all.”

Why I liked this book – This is a great book about shyness by Eileen Spinelli, an amazin
Barbara
Like many of us, the young girl in this book loves expressing herself through various activities including dancing, cheering, and singing. But she's shy and never cheers, dances or behaves bravely when anyone else is around. The difference between the inner girl and the one she shows to everyone is palpable through the text and the ink, watercolor, and digital illustrations. Luckily for her, she has a friend who is also shy, and together, they find the strength to be themselves, content whether ...more
Kathy
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Delightful picture book by well known author, Eileen Spinelli, about those children who are bashful in front of others. Text rhymes and works well with the excellent illustrations. There are many children who will be able to identify with the young girl in the book. Haven't we all been oh so charming, brave and talented "when no one is watching". The book would make a good read aloud in school and at home. David Johnson, the illustrator, has certainly captured the feelings in the story. From the ...more
Lynn
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Being shy myself, I really appreciated this unusual but empathetic treatment of those of us who aren't comfortable in the limelight. I think kids will love this reassuring recognition that lots of kids have gifts and abilities they keep tucked away and share only with a trusted few - and that's OK. The illustrations really catch the eye too - energetic and colorful against a grainy brown background.
Sandy Brehl
Deals with shyness-realistic and identifiable situations. Offers a satisfying resolution. Rhymed text is generally brisk, well-paced and natural.
Amani Moore
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this book cause it shows how to grow out of your shell
Traci Bold
While I really love the rhythm of this catchy picture book written by Eileen Spinelli and David A. Johnson, I wish it would have just a little hint more and when you read it, you may think the same.

Still a good read with a thoughtful message of being comfortable in your own skin, though not necessarily around others.

Published by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers.

#PB #emotions #friendship #allaboutme
Sandy McDowell
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl finds a friend who she can finally be herself with. The transition was a bit abrupt.
Gabby
Feb 08, 2015 added it
The story of a little girl’s daily activities describes her shyness and metaphorical distance from the world. She is a vibrant character when she is alone, but when people are watching she hides herself as best she can. She intentionally disconnects herself from others. The only person she can be herself around is her best friend Loretta.

The illustrations switch between two very distinct moods. They start off as happy and vibrant and then move to lonely and timid. When the little girl is by her
Vera Godley
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Eileen Spinelli captures what it is like to have pent up desires and ambitions but you're too shy to let them out. It is all about When No One is Watching that we dance with a broom, put on a brave show of strength, and leap with exuberance. Spinelli uses a few lines on each two page spread with a couple in rhyme. The effect is superb and makes for tremendously fun read aloud times.

As artist David A. Johnson skillfully drew this shy but exuberant little girl, he uses a combination of toned down
Christine Clayton
Opening:
Remember when we read the book Poindexter Makes a Friend. It was a story about a pig that was shy. Well, our story today is also about someone who is shy but still makes a friend. This book also has some rhyming words in it. As we read let’s see if we can find the words that rhyme.

Moves Used:
Ask children to make connections to a previously read text.
Draw attention to the language of the text

Rationale:
I chose this book because at the beginning of the year we often have students that
Brittany Newton
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
I chose this book for my Picture Book Soak. This is a book that I cannot wait to read to my students. This book has a great cover picture and the title really spoke to me when I picked it out. This book is about a young girl who dances, prances, twirls, dances, wrestles, and is brave when no one is watching her, but when everyone is watching, she hides and pretends she is not there. The girl then introduces her best friend, who is also shy, and she talks about how she can be herself around her b ...more
Relyn
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: shy kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Eileen Spinelli.
Shelves: lawsonland
Though I am not shy, I have taught several very shy students, and I think this is a book they would really connect to. It is also a book that makes great use of language; such rich vocabulary.

Classroom Connection
This will be a terrific mentor text for the writing lesson Show Don't Tell.
The little girl didn't just jump and make noise. Instead, "When no on is watching, I growl. I growl and I grump and I scowl at the door. I clump and I clomp and I stomp on the floor. When no one is watching I gr
Ashley
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Never has the old adage "Dance like no one is watching" rung truer for the youngest of readers. Spinelli again brings forth unique characters and fun storylines meant for sharing with children of all ages.

When No One is Watching demonstrates the way we feel when we're alone, versus when we know others can see what we're doing. And edges toward the encouragement of being ourselves and enjoying every day no matter where we are.

A worthwhile thought and lesson. Particularly in such a gem of a pict
Linda
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A young girl appears to be showing her feelings in an honest way showing all the fun things she does “when no one is watching”, yet shrinking back into her shell, becoming as invisible as possible when others are around. It’s a different look at a child who really seems so shy and has such a challenge in a group, but when it’s just one good friend, that’s a different story! The illustrations show off the girl in a beautiful way, with actions appropriate to whether being watched, or not. It’s su ...more
Clare Cannon
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 04-8yrs
This is the first picture book I've ready by Eileen Spinelli, wife of one of my favourite authors, Jerry Spinelli. I loved her interview with Jerry, and I've always been curious about her stories.

It's an original concept for a picture book, it's about a girl who is super crazy and fun when by herself, but who gets shy and reserved when around others. Ultimately she discovers the perfect solution in a best friend who is just like her, and they can be crazy alone, together.
Beverly
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
FTC Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from Librarything's Early Reviewer Program in exchange for an honest opinion

Even as an adult, I could identify with this beautifully illustrated story about a shy bashful young girl who is so many things "When No One Is Watching." This is an excellent read aloud for classroom and at home reading. It is also an excellent resource for character education classes. I will be recommending this to the counselor at school and I'll be ordering it for the sc
Shelli
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
How people behave around others may be completely different than how they are when they are by themselves or with someone who they feel very comfortable with. When No One Is Watching shows a girl who is shy, quiet, and feels better in the shadows. However, when she is alone or with her best friend she loves to sing, dance, and go for the winning shot in her solo game of basketball. Through the entire book I kept hoping she would tie her shoes; once a mom always a mom.
Angie
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a cute story about the insecurities we face and how we sometimes (most times) act differently when we are alone than we act when we are with others. I think it sends a message to children who are a little shy that it is okay to be the way that you are, and that you can act differently when you are by yourself. The illustrations were cute, and i feel that it is entertaining enough to hold the interest of children.
A. Somers
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: student-books
This is an adorable story about a young girl who is shy in front of others. I love that the reader gets to see the other side to the young girl's personality. This is a great book for character education classes with young students. I can think of quite a few students who will identify with her.
The art work is beautiful as well.
Chrissy
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-s-stuff
Excellent story on a topic I don't find covered much for kids. I like that is doesn't end with the idea that the child needs to change, that it's OK to be braver when no one is watching. The illustrations help impress upon the reader the idea of a child who is much wilder and brighter on her own than in front of a group.
Sheri
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this new book and the rhyme pattern in it about doing things when no one is watching and the opposite when someone is watching. I like the illustrations and the story about shyness. The illustrations are fun on a speckled background that is subdued. It reflects how many of us were and are today. Fun to share with read aloud groups of kids.
Dolly
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful lyrical tale about feelings. I love that the little girl is able to express herself alone and with a close friend and that she's aware of her own shyness and reticence around other people.

The narrative is fun to read aloud and the illustrations are hip and expressive. I love the little girl's crazy shoelaces! We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Jillian
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
A cute book that helps explain the nature of some introverts - not *always* quiet, just shy. When alone, or with someone who "gets" them, they can be friendly and happy. (Basically, there's nothing "wrong" with a kid who doesn't like crowds.)
The illustrations were nice, and I liked how they were able to show so much movement.
Michelle Brandstetter
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful little book that takes a look from the inside at feeling shy. How brave she is when nobody's watching and what she's like when all eyes are on her. From the illustrations to the sensitivity and even the rhythm of the words, this is a very nice book.
Rebecca
Our main character is very shy, but can be brave when no one is watching. Until she meets a friend who helps her feel like it doesn't matter who's watching. A great book about shyness, friendship, and learning to be brave.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • I Like Old Clothes
  • When Lions Roar
  • Light in the Darkness: A Story about How Slaves Learned in Secret
  • A Year with Marmalade
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli...