Start by marking “The Willows and Beyond” as Want to Read:
The Willows and Beyond

The Willows and Beyond (Tales of the Willows #3)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  153 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
William Horwood is the author of the acclaimed Duncton trilogies. Patrick Benson studied at the Chelsea Art School and St. Martin's School of Art. Both live in England.
Published October 21st 1999 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published November 4th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Willows and Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Willows and Beyond

Renee Wallace
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I doubt anyone but Mr. Horwood could have wrapped up the lives of the beloved Mole, Ratty, Toad, Badger, and Otter so lovingly. This is a poignant read, and brought tears to my eyes more than once. If you love THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS, you must read these follow-up books. It is the only time I have ever known a "different" author to successfully tackle a beloved classic.
Andrew
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the concluding book of the series - where if you like one set of stories end and the next take their place however there is a sense of coming full circle so there is no need to tell more. The style and storyline read and feel just like he original and still hold their charm all these years after I read them first to my son. If you enjoyed wind in the willows this cannot be a more fitting finale - however read the others first - it would be a shame to cut the story short prematurely.
Melanie
Feb 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Vanessa
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of Horwood's " willows " books .
Hyaroo
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
There have been a lot of people over the years who have tried to write sequels to Kenneth Grahame's classic children's novel.

None of them, I would say, have ever QUITE managed to recapture the tone and feel of Grahame's masterpiece, or QUITE capture the personalities of the Riverbankers... but I think William Horwood is the one who gets the closest to managing.

Now, granted, Horwood does have a tendency in his sequels to retread old plot points, either used by Grahame, or by Horwod himself in p
Tonari
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gwydion
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not many books move me to tears but this one did! Brilliantly written in a style indistinguishable from that of Kenneth Grahame himself, this is the best of Horwood's three sequels to The Wind in the Willows. I never really thought that book was really or not entirely for children and this one certainly isn't though I'm sure many would enjoy it. The story of loss and advancing age is told in a beautiful and poignant way. For those of us who are in the evening of our lives it has particular reson ...more
Nigel Williamson
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
I bought this to keep reading about Mole, Ratty, Toad, Otter and the lives of the Riverbank, but I forgot that all lives come to an end, at least Horwood seemed to think it was his duty to bring about the end of the story of the most wonderful people to ever stroll along the Riverbank, and so he does, thereby destroying the most cherished and positively last remnant of my childhood. Once upon a time I could sit down on a wet Sunday and read 'The Wind in the Willows' and bask again in the eternal ...more
Leslie
Oct 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Well, now I've read this last book of the Wind in the Willows series and feel a nice, cozy sense of closure-except the library didn't have Toad Triumphant. Funny thing is, yesterday I found it in the vintage children's books section of Half-Price Books! (Hardcover, with dust jacket, can I get a "Woo-HOo!"?)
Anyway, this book takes our dear friends all the way to the peaceful end and yet one feels the stories might continue, because their families do. One big surprise about 3/4 of the way through
Dayna Smith
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Horwood continues the stories begun by Kenneth Grahame in The Wind and the Willows. This story takes place as the characters in the original tales have aged and are now in their later years. Ratty is feeling the urge to travel and his friends are dealing with a threat to the Wild Wood. If you were a fan of the original tales you will enjoy this story as well. The illustrations are also beautiful.
Seth
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I am conflicted about this one. In some ways Horwood departs the most from the original story, although I can see why he did it; yet elsewhere, particularly at the end, he pens a wistful tribute to (and resolution of) Grahame's beautiful and beloved characters and setting. It left me feeling melancholy.
Bryan
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
The best book of the trilogy in my opinion. I could empathize with Ratty, Mole and Badger in all the troubles they faced in this book. This book, more than the others, best fulfills the message of Kenneth Grahame's original.
stephanieisabookworm
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great conclusion to Horwood's trilogy and to Grahame's original. I love it! I almost cried.
Dorthea
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this book to be more readable than the original classic.
Chiwell
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, animals
Не смотря на недетский конец — все умерли — есть в ней своё очарование.
J.Aleksandr Wootton
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Starts well, falters, then carries on telling a completely different (equally good) story. Worth reading.
Milo
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third time's the charm... This one had better pacing, and had a more original story than did his previous two spin-offs.
Milo Mitchell
Rosabel Sinclair
Jan 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • The Snarkout Boys and the Baconburg Horror (Snarkout Boys, #2)
  • Smokey
  • Bronwyn's Bane
  • The Peppermint Pig
  • Re-Zoom
  • Thomas The Tank Engine: The Complete Collection
  • Choo Choo
  • Little Polar Bear Finds a Friend
  • Midnite: The Story of a Wild Colonial Boy
  • The Ghost in the Mirror (Lewis Barnavelt, #4)
  • Spring Story
  • The Ultimate Alphabet
  • The Tale of Briar Bank (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #5)
  • The Wombles
  • The Wretched Stone
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk Trilogy #2)
  • Merlin and the Dragons
William Horwood is an English novelist. His first novel, Duncton Wood, an allegorical tale about a community of moles, was published in 1980. It was followed by two sequels, forming The Duncton Chronicles, and also a second trilogy, The Book of Silence. William Horwood has also written two stand-alone novels intertwining the lives of humans and of eagles, The Stonor Eagles and Callanish , and The ...more
More about William Horwood...

Tales of the Willows (4 books)
  • The Willows in Winter (Tales of the Willows, #1)
  • Toad Triumphant
  • The Willows at Christmas
“It is said that to this day that educational establishment still bears the scars of their activities.” 2 likes