Start by marking “East (East, #1)” as Want to Read:
East (East, #1)

East

(East #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  35,804 ratings  ·  2,358 reviews
Rose has always been different.

Since the day she was born, it was clear she had a special fate. Her superstitious mother keeps the unusual circumstances of Rose's birth a secret, hoping to prevent her adventurous daughter from leaving home... but she can't suppress Rose's true nature forever.

Published May 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about East, please sign up.
Kate The author wrote on her website under her FAQs that she was planning to write a sequel set 9 years after the first book.

·  35,804 ratings  ·  2,358 reviews

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

This book was awesome! I have never heard of this fairytale, even though it sounded familiar. I’m glad one of my friends wanted to buddy read it, but now I want to get both books in paperback and the second one comes out in October. I always get scared about the cancer coming back if I get too excited about books on down the line 😫

Anyway, I recommend to those that love fairytales!

They journeyed far and the white bear said,
"Are you afraid?"
"No," she replied. "I am not afraid."

She would searc
Camille
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I've read it so many times and never has it grown old. I love how it shifts views and tells you what other people are doing and how it has many plots that all tie together in the book. I love the White Bear and I love reading what he has to say and the riddles and poems he speaks in. The chapters weren't long so you could just fly through the book with no trouble. I fell inlove with Rose and her personality from the beginning, the first few pages a a little slow, bu ...more
Em Lost In Books
3.5*

a lovely retelling of Beauty and the Beast.
Lacey Louwagie
This novel is a retelling of "East of the Sun and West of the Moon" which is probably one of the most underappreciated fairy tales out there. Unfortunately, this retelling doesn't quite do it justice. The author chose to use multiple viewpoints, which felt more like a gimmick and less like the best way to tell the story (especially since I was only really interested in the stories from two of the five narrators). Also, no one ever seems to have given Edith that all important advice to "show and ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
$1.99 Kindle sale, Oct. 25, 2018. The sequel to this 2005 folktale retelling, West, was just published this week (it's still waiting on my Kindle).

East is a retelling of the Norwegian tale "East of the Sun and West of the Moon;" you can read one version of it here. In East, a teenage girl named Rose has a sense of adventure that her worried mother has always tried, unsuccessfully, to quell. One day a huge white bear appears at their door and offers to magically to fix the family's dire financial
Cait • A Page with a View
This wasn't my favorite retelling of East of the Sun West of the Moon (ACOTAR probably still holds that spot), but it was still fun to see the different take on it! The story's set in a modern arctic where the main character is living with her scientist dad. She gets taken by the polar bear king to be his bride aaaaand things get pretty creative (and a bit weird).

The story follows the usual format of her coming back to save him from the troll queen figure, but throws in a lot of other stuff lik
Keertana
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Ever since I read the tale of "East of the Sun, West of the Moon," I've longed to give one of its numerous re-tellings a try. Edith Pattou's version, East, practically fell into my lap when I discovered it in the hidden recess of my Kindle and within moments, I was sucked into the tale. For those of you who don't know, "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" is similar to "Beauty and the Beast," only instead of a beast, we have a polar bear, and instead of a wicked witch, there is a
Heather
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a GREAT young adult fantasy! I loved everything about this book! Although it is almost 500 pages, it is a quick read. (Short chapters, larger print.) The story is based on the Norwegian fairytale "East of the Sun and West of the Moon" which I didn't know until I read the author's notes at the end. I liked that even though it was a fantasy, it took place in a real time and place-16th Century Norway. (Read the glossery in the very back for modern names) I loved the mother's superstition, her ...more
Ronyell
East

I never would have thought that there could be a whole chapter book retelling of a classic fairy tale other than Shannon Hale’s “The Goose Girl.” Well, I have just recently stumbled upon this book called “East” that happens to be a great retelling of a classic fairy tale! “East” is a retelling of a classic Scandinavian folktale called “East of the Sun West of the Moon” by Edith Pattou and anyone who is a huge fan of fairy tales will definitely get a kick out of this book!

Rose is the you
Morgan F
East was written when fantasy could still be fantasy. When young adult books weren't required to have a love triangle, a sexy love interest, and a heroine with low self-esteem. Rose, this novel's main character, is intelligent, resourceful, and courageous. She has a strong drive and a true moral compass. The plot reminds me of more classical fantasy that involves epic journeys over several countries over the course of years. The book is chaste and simple, which makes me think its more suited to ...more
Hymerka
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Чудесна зимова казка!
Хто не знає, вона за тією ж норвезькою оповідкою, що й книга Джесіки Дей Джордж "Сонце і Місяць, Сніг і Лід", але версія Едіт Пату мені сподобалася більше. Згодом напишу детальніше, і мабуть, зі спойлерами, і поясню, чим саме.
Якщо шукаєте сезонну чарівну історію, то палко рекомендую!

UPD. Отже, виконую обіцяне, і прочитавши оригінальну казку (двічі), ретелінґ від Джесіки Дей Джордж "Сонце і Місяць, Сніг і Лід" (надалі "СіМ, СіЛ") і ретелінґ від Едіт Пату "Схід", спробую поя
Tammie
Rose has always been different.

So when an enormous white bear shows up one cold autumn evening and asks teenage Rose to come away with it--in exchange for health and prosperity for her ailing family--she readily agrees.

description

East is a retelli
Marquise
This reimagining of East of the Sun and West of the Moon has a very good beginning, enhanced by the not so frequent technique (in retellings) of showing both sides of the story: the girl, her family, the enchanted bear and the Troll Queen. Quite intriguing, isn't it? Plus, it's historical fantasy rather than plain old-school fantasy, as the setting is 16th century Scandinavia, and the author uses a historical event from a century prior that's somewhat mysterious and apt for reinterpreting in fic ...more
Mike
I'm going to replace that old, shitty review now, because that was enormously embarrassing to read back over. SORRY, EVERYONE WHO READ IT! I APOLOGIZE PROFUSELY!

Anyway, my opinion hasn't changed, just my method of delivering it. I still think that this was a horrendous novel, badly plotted with shoddy characters.

In fact, I think the lack of development from the characters was the novel's biggest downfall. Rose is such a blank protagonist. I spent 200 pages with her (before I gave up), and throug
Chris
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Full of enchantment and wonder, this East of the Sun, West of the Moon retelling was exactly the kind of fantasy story I've been missing in my life lately. The original story is very akin to Beauty and the Beast, but this particular retelling allows for more trolls, more white bears, more questing...more everything. I can't believe I never knew this book existed, not until I saw people talking about West . I have seriously been missing out because Rose is kind of the perfect heroine: fierce and ...more
Christina Kneidel
*retelling: East of the Sun West of the Moon*

★ true rating: 3.5 stars ★

I have been on a big retelling kick lately, so when I saw that this book got a cover redesign and a sequel I had to pick it up. This is an older YA that a lot of my goodreads friends read when they were younger -and loved, so I was pretty excited to see what this was all about. I really enjoyed the story overall -the MC was strong, smart and loyal to herself and her family. I also enjoyed the narrator change for each chapter
Kayla
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why did I read this book? New cover pretty.

I'm glad that I stuck around to the end of this one. It is very different than what I usually read, and I'm being generous with my rating because I was extremely bored during a large portion of this book.

This dr a g g e d.

It was simply too long to hold my attention.

I liked the story and the Norwegian mythology associated with it. I liked having multiple perspectives. The POV of the Troll Queen was something that made me want to continue- so that I c
Em*Greedy* (Iniya)
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Completely loved this... Nice retelling of Beauty and the beast...
As fairy tale retellings go, this one is lovely, though I didn't guess which fairy tale it told until close to the end.
Steph Su
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
EAST is the tale of Rose, who sacrifices her freedom to save her sister, grows to care for the cursed white bear who is her “captor,” unwittingly betrays him, then goes beyond the ends of the earth to make things right. It’s a classic folktale that never fails to move me, but Edith Pattou’s retelling of “East of the Sun, West of the Moon” went above and beyond, astounding me with its magical rendering of a traditional story and simple literary elements.

EAST is not extraordinarily sophisticated i
Madison
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5🌟
Mary-Beth
For a re-telling this was very good. In many ways, other than just expanding on the original, this version seemed to try to add some realism to the tale. Fortunately it wasn't realism at the cost of magic. There was still plenty of magic. Don't look for anything staggeringly innovative here and the writing isn't perfect, but this is very readable.

The novel delineated an ordinary world from a magical world by making Rose's home life somewhat more mundane as well as keeping from her many of the ma
Oda Renate
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great retelling. The retelling sticks very close, closer than any retelling I have read before so I was (sorry to say) a bit bored, at the same time there were elements that the fairy tale does not have and some aspects that kept me guessing.
I found it a bit confusing how they used real names of cities here in Norway yet the country they lived in was called Norjd.. Why not keep the name Norway, or alternatively use new names for the cities.
Also it seemed like this was suppose to take place in a
Jo
Since I read this back when I was first becoming interested in YA, I was worried that a second reading would prove to be less enjoyable. I am happy to say that the book is still deserving of 5 stars in my opinion. The multiple POVs are so seamless and well done. And I dare you not to like Rose. She is a great heroine! I think when it's time for Christmas, a lot of people are going to find this book in their stocking.

July 6, 2010
This is by far one of the best children's books ever written. The a
Lisa
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is clearly a YA classic that I only just got around to reading, but I'm surprised at a few things.

1. This was EXTREMELY slow to start. Like, ok, I get how her mother is battshizz crazy about superstitions and birth direction. 2. I wanted more from the ending. I'm greedy and wanted more...something. Sizzle, maybe?

I definitely enjoyed Rose's MANY challenges, adventures and interesting friends along the way.
Yati
Multiple first person POVs always throw me off. Always. This wasn't an exception, though I really liked the narrators, so it didn't distract me as much as if could have.

I'm a bit disappointed that the more fantastic aspects of the original folk tale were not included, but if I had never read the original story, I wouldn't have noticed they were missing.
Riley Redgate
a childhood favorite. so beautiful
Donna
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is Young Adult Fantasy. As I'm not the target audience, I'll add a star because this was age appropriate.

I liked Rose, the MC. She evolved through her journey. The other characters were also well drawn with their own individual quirkiness. I'm not familiar with the fairy tale that this is a retelling of so I had nothing to compare it to, which probably worked to its favor.

This one started kind of slow, but it picked up during the latter half with her journey to "East of the Sun, West of t
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
DNF @ 125 pages

No one is more disappointed than I am. I've been wanting to read this book for quite some time, but it just didn't work for me :(

It's told like a journal entry, which makes it feel clinical and detached, thus I was unable to connect to the story or characters. And it was dry. On top of that, it feels like borderline magical realism? Which I was unaware of going in, and magical realism is soooo not my jam. Sorry?

I think this is just a solid case of not for me.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: East [1st January 2019] 141 40 Jan 21, 2019 09:01AM
Giselle's Random ...: East by Edith Pattou 2 10 Feb 28, 2018 10:17AM
Off the Books: What did you think? 2 7 Jan 11, 2018 10:46PM
The Sloan Squad S...: Not so Intrested anymore 2 3 Feb 06, 2016 05:04AM
The Sloan Squad S...: Intersecting 1 3 Jan 25, 2016 10:45AM
this is an awsome book 33 145 Sep 21, 2015 02:08PM
Did anyone hear the author said she will write a sequel to East! 6 61 Aug 08, 2015 05:29PM
  • Ice
  • Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Zel
  • Goose Chase
  • Toads and Diamonds
  • Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1)
  • The Hollow Kingdom (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #1)
  • The Swan Kingdom
  • A Curse Dark as Gold
  • Rose Daughter
  • The Night Dance:  A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • Before Midnight: A Retelling of Cinderella
  • Princess of the Wild Swans
  • Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2)
  • An Earthly Knight
  • Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid
Edith Pattou is the author of several fantasy novels, including East, an ALA Top Ten Best Book for Young Adults. She is a graduate of the Francis W. Parker School, Scripps College (B.A., English), Claremont Graduate School (M.A., English) and UCLA (M.L.I.S.). She is married to Charles Emery, a professor of psychology at The Ohio State University. They have one child, a daughter.

For more informatio

East (2 books)
  • West (East, #2)
“That's the trouble with loving a wild thing: You're always left watching the door.” 140 likes
“East of the sun and west of the moon.' As unfathomable as the words were, I realized I must figure them out, reason it through. For I would go to this impossible land that lay east of the sun and west of the moon. From the moment the sleigh had vanished from sight and I could no longer hear the silver bells I knew that I would go after the stranger that had been the white bear to make right the terrible wrong I had done him.... All that mattered was to make things right. And I would do whatever it took, journey to wherever I must, to reach that goal.” 52 likes