Start by marking “Cybersecurity and Cyberwar: What Everyone Needs to Know(r)” as Want to Read:
Cybersecurity and Cyberwar: What Everyone Needs to Know(r)

Cybersecurity and Cyberwar: What Everyone Needs to Know(r)

A generation ago, "cyberspace" was just a term from science fiction, used to describe the nascent network of computers linking a few university labs. Today, our entire modern way of life, from communication to commerce to conflict, fundamentally depends on the Internet. And the cybersecurity issues that result challenge literally everyone: politicians wrestling with everyt ...more
Published January 3rd 2014 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Cybersecurity and Cyberwar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cybersecurity and Cyberwar

Start your review of Cybersecurity and Cyberwar: What Everyone Needs to Know(r)
Eric_W
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Singer and Friedman argue that cyber knowledge needs to be a requirement in schools. All the kids are now in cyberspace yet there is little formal education about the insecurity of simple passwords, the importance of OS updates, and problems inherent in social networking as a mechanism to reveal personal information. Most common password="password" and the 2nd most common is "123456". Common words are easily hack-able. One high level executive told his IT people he only wanted a one letter passw ...more
Mario the lone bookwolf
WWI: War of the Chemists. WW2: War of physicists. WW3: War of the Mathematicians

Please note that I put the original German text at the end of this review. Just if you might be interested.

For the layman, and if one has never heard of passive and active IT security, state, private or even military computer networks appear bombproof, competently maintained and unassailable. At least it would be taken for granted in institutions that are essential for the functioning of economic cycles, infrastruct
Eric
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I came across this book in a magazine from a professional organization I'm a member of. At first, I thought it would be "textbook priced" (that is, $120 or more), but the Kindle version was about $9, so I bought it.

The authors are members of the Brookings Institute, and have some kind of "all access pass" to Cybercom, the NSA, DHS, DoD, and other government agencies and contractors. They've come across many "cybersecurity professionals" who don't know what an ISP is, so they wrote this book.

Thi
Maria
Singer and Friedman have spent way to much time dealing with politicians and corporate leaders who didn't understand the basics of computers and the internet. They wrote this primer to introduce basic foundations and to frame future conversations.

Why I started this book: I really liked Singer's Wired for War: The Robotics Revolution and Conflict in the 21st Century and was looking for more of that style.

Why I finished it: This book is written in the question and answer format, which makes it eas
Ritsky
I read this for class.

I think this book raises a good points of cyber security and cyberwar from political/public policy point of view. I like it because it discusses cyber security issue with a more neutral/objective tone - at least to me. Another plus point is that the book does give a preliminary explanation about the internet, the history of the internet, and other techie stuff so the non-techie readers wouldn't be so confused when reading it. In general, it is an easy read although sometim
Kim
I listened to the audio version of this book, which was well narrated by Sean Pratt.

I'm not sure "everyone needs to know" what's in this book, but it is a great introduction to the topics of cyber-security and cyber-warfare. The emphasis is on government and business polices and the basic issues facing the world, and not so much on what individuals should do to protect themselves online, although general online precautions are discussed briefly.
Greg
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Caveat: I work in the field and have been in computer security for two decades. I read the book to see if I would use it as a textbook for a class on cyberterrorism and cyberwarfare.

The book is a primer for non-technical policy makers. It is broken into three parts, each laid out in a FAQ type format. The first part sets a foundation of knowledge in the history of computers, networking, and the Internet and how the Internet works at a high level. It then goes into some basic concepts of informa
James Griffes
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cybersecurity and Cyberwar gives a great run down of important points of cyber-security. It is a read for anyone interested in information sharing and politics. The book did not go in-depth on any particular history or political issue but it was a great introduction Internet history, security policy, and cyber international relations.

I found the book very intriguing and relevant. I would recommend it to any interested party, I would go so far as to buy a copy for my book shelf.
Emma
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Don't listen to this when you passed your CISSP exam.
Very global and high level. Explains password mishaps, for instance.
Probably a good read for people with no background in IT or security.
Gizem
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book has a general understanding of the concepts and it is an informative overview of cybersecurity topics. It has three parts by the question and answer format and it is answering these questions: How does it all work?, Why does it matter?, What we can do?
I think anyone can read this book because you don’t need any prior knowledge of cybersecurity, and you have a general understanding of the concepts by the time they are done reading it.
The book starts with the explanation of the internet
Eric
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
But it could easily have been two stars. The authors start off by indicating that the eight of the nine US Supreme Court Justices who do not use email may be some kind of Luddite oddity. Before long they would have you sympathizing with them - who needs all the danger and drama of the networked world, right? There are fairly straightforward steps given one can take to be protected to a degree - not bad stuff.

They did lose me in the area of cyber-terrorism. The claim is made that no lives have b
Ted Tyler
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a nice primer on the fundamental theories and philosophical concepts that relate to cybersecurity and cyberwar. This quick read enhanced my own knowledge of the complexity and intricacies that exist within the cyber realm. Best parts of the book were the descriptions and analyses of the various stakeholders within this dimension of warfare: international institutions, state actors, non-state actors, private companies, and individuals. The authors were also spot-on about the im ...more
Eugene
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Written by a pair of Brookings researchers and subtitled “What everyone needs to know”, Cybersecurity and Cyberwar is targeted towards the less technically inclined policy and public audiences. At one point, it even shares password tips! But on the whole, it does contain useful information and discussions of the law, policy, and technicalities of cybersecurity; the authors have plenty of real-world examples, especially from the American government, that illustrate different cyber challenges. It’ ...more
Brian Thorson
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
While as soon as any book covering the IT or cyber world is somewhat dated by the time it hits the press, Singer and Friedman do a good job presenting the fundamentals required to understand cyber security and cyber war. This book was easy to understand and remained engaging throughout.

Topics spanned pertinent history, fundamentals, case studies, military application, corporate application, and personal application among others.

Will this book make you a cyber expert? Definitely not. You will,
Gabriel
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raises some interesting points

It's not the most exciting topic but I think Peter did a nice job of shedding light into dark corners to help raise awareness of our collective government lack in understanding, or more specifically, misunderstanding.

I think his frame of mind for how we should approach cyber is of value, and certaintly better than how we were going about cyber at the time of this publication (although the same mindsets seem to still exist today).

A good bus or train read for anyone i
Millie Clinton
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
An excellent starting point for anybody with an interest in Cybersecurity. It gives you a succinct overview of many cybersecurity ‘subheadings’, going into enough detail so as to be informative and entertaining, but still so you can cherry pick what to do further reading on.

A criticism, however, would be that the authors repeat themselves a lot. Combined with a handful of typos littered in the text, makes it a slow and clunky read of an otherwise enjoyable book.
Emilio
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
An essential read for anyone that is interested in or could be effected by cyber warfare. The book is written so that anyone can pick it up, without any prior knowledge of cyber security, and have a general understanding of the concepts by the time they are done reading it. The only thing I did not like was the question and answer format, which made it feel more like reading a text book.
John
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-scribd
I really found this book interesting and gained some insight from it. I am studying cyber security and found a lot of the cyberwar information useful. Admittedly, this was written in 2013 and so relatively older, the concepts and real world elements, including the governmental involvement, are still relevant.

Yohannes Fassika
The book is one of Oxford University's 'What everyone needs to know' series. It is in question and answer format and covers a lot of fundamental questions on cyber. It is very much informative. I found the concluding chapter instructive on what factors will have major effect on the cyber realm in the years to come.
Robert
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a clear and thorough overview of the cybersecurity environment from the early days through publication. I would recommend to anyone who wants to gain a base level understanding of the technologies, actors, and multi-faceted issues that face all technology users today and in the future.
Bo
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
As someone who is an avid news reader and works in tech, I feel this book is for people who have no idea at all about cybersecurity and cyberwar is. Didnt really gain anything new/dive as deep as i hoped it would.
Michael
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, computers
Required reading for technology and computer policy makers.
Konstant1n
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An interesting book.. IT related people has to read it...
Bernie M
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and informative! Singer lays the groundwork for understanding why cyberwar is a national security threat and what might be coming.
Brian
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource. Great beginner’s look at an issue for which the general public still seems vastly uneducated about. I took extensive notes while reading this book, and I never do that lol.
Sharon
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Slow read. Fascinating how outdated some of the predictions are just 4 years later.
Fred Byus
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Summary

Good introduction to a vexing topic. Provides high level solutions and options. Excellent read. I will be using as a reference for future managers.
Hisham Mannaa
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introductory book. Extremely dry towards the latter parts
Tyler Standish
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great overview.
Sally H.
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-s-t-u, educational
Educational information and cybersecurity. Tough slog to get through but interestwing.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Axxum Technologies 1 1 Jun 05, 2020 05:12AM
Stop Losing Online Sales - Sell Your Cyber Security Quickly! 1 1 Feb 26, 2019 03:52AM
Debit and credit cards Under Threat of Cloning 1 1 Mar 24, 2018 04:31AM
Military Readers ...: hello and book plug--new book on cyber and war 1 11 Dec 11, 2013 04:23PM

• Dark Territory: The Secret History of Cyber War
  • Cyberwar: The Next Threat to National Security & What to Do About It
  • @War: The Rise of the Military-Internet Complex
  • The Fifth Domain: Defending Our Country, Our Companies, and Ourselves in the Age of Cyber Threats
  • Leaders: Myth and Reality
  • The Deep Learning Revolution
  • The Internet of Things
  • Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead
  • A World in Disarray: American Foreign Policy and the Crisis of the Old Order
  • North Korea: What Everyone Needs to Know®
  • Click Here to Kill Everybody: Security and Survival in a Hyper-connected World
  • The Perfect Weapon: How the Cyber Arms Race Set the World Afire
  • The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage
  • North Korea's Hidden Revolution: How the Information Underground Is Transforming a Closed Society
  • Tools and Weapons: The Promise and the Peril of the Digital Age
  • The American Practical Navigator - Bowditch
  • Watch Officer's Guide: A Handbook for All Deck Watch Officers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Peter Warren Singer is Strategist and Senior Fellow at the New America Foundation. He previously was Director of the Center for 21st Century Security and Intelligence at the Brookings Institution and the youngest scholar named Senior Fellow in Brookings's 101-year history. Described in the Wall Street Journal as “the premier futurist in the national- security environment," has been named by the Sm ...more

News & Interviews

“In 2010, McAfee thought it impressive that it was discovering a new specimen of malware every fifteen minutes. In 2013, it was discovering one every single second!” 2 likes
“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.” 2 likes