Jump to ratings and reviews

Lords of the Underworld #4.5

After Dark: The Darkest Angel/Shadow Hunter

A timeless seduction A unique temptation And a whole world of dark desires...

From New York Times bestselling author Gena Showalter

The Darkest Angel

Winged warrior Lysander has been alive for centuries, and yet he's never known desire-until he meets Bianka. Spawned from the bloodline of his enemy, the beautiful but deadly Harpy is determined to lead the untouched Lysander into temptation. He may try to evade her attempts, but even the most iron-willed demon assassin can resist for only so long....

And from debut author Kait Ballenger

Shadow Hunter

Vampire hunter Damon Brock's first assignment with the Execution Underground is Rochester, New York, a city crawling with the undead. But he isn't the only hunter in town gunning for vamp blood. Tiffany Solow is fierce and ruthless when it comes to slaying the monsters that destroyed her family-and she works solo. But being alone is no longer so desirable when she meets the mysterious hunter who wants more than just her turf. As they work to massacre the local covens, the line between good and evil blurs when they are forced to decide between their lifelong beliefs... and their newfound hearts.

325 pages, Mass Market Paperback

First published May 16, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Gena Showalter

233 books26.6k followers
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author of over seventy books, including the acclaimed Lords of the Underworld series, the Gods of War series, the White Rabbit Chronicles, and the Forest of Good and Evil series. She writes sizzling paranormal romance, heartwarming contemporary romance, and unputdownable young adult novels, and lives in Oklahoma City with her family and menagerie of dogs and cats.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
58 (3%)
1 star
19 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 124 reviews
Profile Image for Amanda.
797 reviews38 followers
May 26, 2013
Reviewed for: Where the Night Kind Roam

The Darkest Angel by Gena Showalter

This novella is hilarious! I laughed through the whole thing, Bianka was cracking me up! It is a very quick read maybe only 100 pages or so and well worth the time. It may be easy to miss this novella since it is in an anthology but DON’T miss it.

(This is probably my shortest review ever and I had to go digging to find it as this is a previously released novella in the Lords of the Underworld series)

Shadow Hunter by Kait Ballenger

This is a brand new series from a debut author Kait Ballenger; Ms. Ballenger came out of the gates running full speed. She was not holding back on this novella, she had limited pages to make an impression and she sure succeeded with me! From the first few pages we are pulled into a new world and from the get go, we are pulled into some serious action. This novella is extremely fast faced with both the action and the romance. You see both Tiffany and Damon are gunning for the same master vamp, both out for revenge for a loved one. Little did they know that it is the same loved one.

Damon is suffering from immense guilt; he feels that he failed his best friend who was killed in action. It is his biggest regret, his second biggest regret is by failing his best friend he also failed his best friend’s sister, a woman he has never met, but has loved for years. Tiffany lost the last of her family when her brother was killed; she also lost her beloved pen-pal B. She blames B for not protecting her brother to the best of his abilities and refuses to communicate with him ever again even though it tears her apart.

When Tiffany and Damon first meet it is from Damon trying to kill her; he is convinced she is a vampire, she is in a vampire club after all. When she finally gives him her name he is shocked that this is the love of his life and he is determined to protect her at all costs without revealing who he really is. He never realized that his hardest task ever would be protecting Tiffany from himself. Damon is a dark complex character that pulls you with his sexy brooding, protective and dominate personality. He failed his best friend; but he is NOT going to fail the one person he has ever loved. You really feel Damon’s love for Tiffany and his desire to protect her, which is not an easy job since she is determined to hunt the master vampire that killed her brother. I really liked Damon’s character, I felt his emotion and he really came alive for me in this book.

Tiffany is totally kick ass! If the Execution Underground allowed females she’d probably be one of their top agents. On her own she was taking out vampires, which for an agent is not easy feat, but for a regular human it is near impossible. I love a kick ass heroine who doesn’t take shit and can protect herself. Even though she is a strong woman she has her vulnerabilities which makes her more real. She wasn’t a perfect untouchable heroine which made her more likeable as a character. I think Ms. Ballenger did an excellent job in developing not only Tiffany���s character but Damon.

In about 100 pages Ms. Ballenger not only did a great job world building she created believable well developed characters. This is no easy task and Ms. Ballenger is to be commended for this. Not only did she do a great job with these two things but in literally maybe a total of 5 pages she introduced you to future characters that already had you intrigued. All we got were the new agent’s bios while Damon was picking a team and I was already all about it. A couple of paragraphs on each one and I was sold! Oh and the ending on this one is a DOZY! WOW, talk about cliffhangers!

I will definitely be looking for the first book in the series and can’t wait to get my hands on it!

Rating:
4.5
Profile Image for Jenese.
378 reviews85 followers
May 28, 2013
Only reading Shadow Hunter- Execution Underground prequel

Shadow Hunter is a new addition to the Paranormal Romance genre. This isn't just a vampire romance, there are more than one type of paranormal creatures in this world. Of course there are vamps, weres, demons, witches, and even ghosts, although we don't hear about each in detail.

Within a few pages of reading Shadow Hunter, I knew I would enjoy this book.

What I loved
Damon is HOT! He's pretty much a super human as part of the Execution Underground. He's handsome and the man knows exactly how to please a woman. Damon is hard around the edges but like Tiffany has some issues he's been holding in that need to be addressed.

Tiffany is a bad ass heroine. She's not afraid to speak her mind and not afraid to do what she thinks is right. She's a vampire huntress.

I love that these two have a history together. Their connection wasn't insta-love, it's something that has been brewing over the year. They have a common enemy in Caius and a common love with Mark.

The end of the novella was left with a cliffhanger, which I have a love/hate with.

What didn't work so well
I hate the cheesy non-realistic lines and sayings in books. This one did have one of my most annoying ones, "Holy Guacamole"! Oy! Luckily Tiffany only said it twice. I also didn't care for her being a virgin. I always have a hard time believing 22 year old virgins (although I'm sure there's 1 or 2, LOL).

Bottom Line
Overall though, I loved it. :-) I'm excited to read more about the Execution Underground and get to know each of the upcoming warriors. I'm eager to hear more about Jace in Twilight Hunter I hear he's phenomenal.
Profile Image for Iris Hunter (InstagramREADS).
699 reviews80 followers
May 29, 2013
After Dark; featuring SHADOW HUNTER (Execution Underground, #0.5) by Kait Ballenger

4 1/2 stars!
Kait goes full speed ahead. Nothing stopping her. With this amazing first installment she is making a big statement. "Here is my kick-ass new Urban Fantasy series!" Fantastic! I loved it.

SHADOW HUNTER is fun, fast paced, full of action and romance together with the mix of the paranormal beings and realistic characters, Tiffany and Damon and world-building a tease to get me hooked and looking forward to the next installment.

Although some things in the plot are obvious and you can see where it is going with Tiffany and Damon. Of course meant to be together. I think Kait is a genius how she can pull it off to get the readers to like her characters in such a short story without feeling rushed or cramped.

I recommend this to all Paranormal Romance readers, Maybe you will think also that the story of Gena in this book is a nice bonus :)

*JUNE 25 we will post an exclusive first chapter of SHADOW HUNTER on paranormalcravings.com*
Profile Image for Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}.
402 reviews270 followers
June 2, 2013
Review originally posted on Romancing the Dark Side:

**This review is only for Shadow Hunter by Kait Ballenger**

An enthralling new paranormal romance debut that leaves you craving more!

As a member of an elite group of supernatural assassins, vampire hunter Damon Brock's newest assignment leads him to Rochester, NY, a city infested with vampires. Seeking vengeance for his best friend and partner's murder is the only motivation he needs to carry out this mission. What he doesn't plan on is coming face to face with another vampire hunter, Tiffany Solow, the woman who stole his heart a long time ago and will make him fall all over again, in the midst of a potential zombie-vampire apocalypse!

Kait Ballenger wastes no time delving right into an action packed story that keeps you turning the page with anticipation. The world building is rich in detail and the characters draw you in with their genuine personalities and struggles. The author packs the quality of a full sized novel into a short installment without sacrificing the plot or character development. A bit of sprinkled humor adds a lighter feel to the story which I really enjoyed. Another reason to love this book? It takes place in my home state of NY!

Tiffany and Damon are pretty a kick ass couple! She's young but courageous, outspoken and can hold her own in a world of only male hunters. Watching her stand up to an alpha male like Damon makes Tiffany a worthy heroine. While I didn't love the "virgin aspect" of her character, I understand why the author chose that path after reading the history between her and Damon...it was a little sweet, actually.

Damon Brock...that name says it all, doesn't it?! He's powerful, loyal and sexy as hell! He has a tortured soul vibe but without the major damage. Damon is a swoon-worthy hero who charms his way into your heart in just a few chapters with his gentlemanly ways and passionate nature, he's the best of both worlds. One minute he's killing vampires and the next he's being affectionate with his lady love. I couldn't help but compare him to one of my fave TV characters, the gorgeous, bad-ass Dean Winchester from Supernatural...yes ladies, I went there!

The romance between Tiffany and Damon might seem like insta-love, but these two share a history over years that makes their attraction believable. Both characters are stubborn, but their love and passion for each other is unmistakable. Kait satisfies my love of a sexy romance with a couple of smexy scenes that leave you in need of a cold shower...let's just say Damon's vampire hunting skills are nothing compared to his bedroom skills!

Shadow Hunter is a story packed with emotion, kick ass vampire hunters, villains and a forbidden romance. I have to say I had an inkling of what might happen towards the end of the book, but I was not expecting the cliffhanger that leaves you floored and shaking your fist in the air (even when the author warns you!)! My hat goes off to Ms. Ballenger for keeping me guessing and not delivering a picture perfecting happily ever after, it just means we get another look at Tiffany and Damon's story down the road. If this sensational debut is any indication of what's to come in the series, I'm sold! Now that I've met Damon, I'm more than ready to get to know the rest of the dangerous hotness that is the Execution Underground!

{ebook courtesy of author in exchange for an honest review.}

Profile Image for Exina.
1,182 reviews370 followers
February 19, 2020
My review is only for The Darkest Angel by Gena Showalter.

Lysander is a warrior angel, one of the Elite Seven. As an assassin, his only goal is to destroy demons. His calm and sense of duty are unflinching. But as every angel, he has one potential downfall.

Bianka is the daughter of a Harpy and a phoenix, spawned from the bloodline of Lucifer. She is a thief, a liar, a killer.

Lysander’s plan is to hold her captive and train to be sinless.

Bianka’s plan is to drive him utterly insane with lust.

I love this story! The Darkest Angel is my favorite from the three LotU novellas.

My full review.
Profile Image for Cristina.
814 reviews8 followers
July 7, 2020
Tre racconti, tanti personaggi differenti: angeli, valchirie, vampiri, umani e fantasmi!

Bacio di tenebra è un'antologia ideata dalla Harmony che racchiude in un unico volume il contenuto di due antologie differenti. Il racconto attribuito alla Showalter è quello incentrato su Lysander e Bianka contenuto nell'antologia "Heart of Darkness" accennato nel libro Demon's angel della serie Lord of the Underworld, mentre quelli di Charlaine Harris, Barbara Hambly fanno parte dell'antologia "Night's Edge" e il racconto della Harris non è legato alla serie Southern Vampires. Le prime due sono a me note perchè seguo entrambe le loro serie, la terza è tutta una sorpresa:

-Demon's Eyes di Gena Showalter
Voto: 4**** stelline +
Apre questa antologia pasticciata il racconto che trova protagonisti Lysander l'angelo guerriero e Bianka, dei Falchi del cielo, l'Arpia sorella di Gwen e compagnia di Sabin (che in questo racconto si sposano come si era letto nel libro a seguire).
Il racconto, per l'appunto, si colloca prima di Demon's Angel, e leggerlo successivamente l'uscita di due libri non rende giustizia alla narrazione e al suo scorrimento temporale. Un errore della casa editrice che si fa sentire!
La storia dei due protagonisti è frizzante e carina, con parti invertite una volta tanto, e quindi molto innovativo.
La fine è un pò scadente, diciamo più barzellettata che love-love.
Per il resto non è male, e si lascia leggere con lo spirito che contraddistingue la Showalter e la sua serie demoniaca.

-L'ultimo bolero di Charlaine Harris
Voto: 4**** stelline -
Secondo racconto scritto dalla Harris e che va a comporre questa antologia. Una storia ambientata nel mondo della serie di Sookie e che si capisce grazie ai piccoli riferimenti casuali sparsi ma molto sottili. Una storia di vampiri e di umani che fa sentire come la scrittrice possa rendere unico qualsiasi racconto trovando uno stile personale differente per ognuna delle sue creazioni. Semplice, senza pretese...il giusto racconto per passare il tempo con qualcosa di vampiresco a disposizione che non occupi troppo la mente. Ciò che avviene tra Sean e Rue è comunque molto contemporaneo e probabile, ma non eccezionale. Un racconto sulla tragedia e su come affrontare le proprie paure scoprendo nell'improbabile l'amore e la felicità!

-Sussurri nel buio di Barbara Hambley
Voto: 3*** --
Molto deludente... non conoscevo questa scrittrice e dopo questo racconto penso di non voler leggere null'altro di suo. Un racconto di fantasmi pauroso e tenebroso ma scritto in modo non molto congeniale, quasi pesante e noioso...non sono nemmeno riuscita a leggerlo per intero. :( peccato...
//Questo libro vale solo per i primi due racconti. Il terzo è come se non contasse... sulla Showalter e la Harris ci posso mettere la mano sul fuoco ormai :P
Profile Image for Kristin.
934 reviews100 followers
July 23, 2013
I'm reviewing Shadow Hunter (Execution Underground #0.5) :)

I love paranormal romance! I actually started reading urban fantasy novels but for me, UF was missing the extra bit of romance I was looking for in my books. Give me a book that’s 50% urban fantasy and 50% romance and I’m completely ga-ga over the moon and I won’t be out of the house for days.

I’m a big, fat fan of long running series such as Larissa Ione’s Demonica, Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark and Gena Showalter’s Lords of the Underworld. So when a call went out for help promoting Kait Ballenger”s debut story, all I had to do was see that she’s published with Ms. Showalter and slam dunk, sign me up!!! I’ll help the cause. Because if the story is even close to the greatness that is Ms. Showalter, I’ll have no problems standing behind a review for Ms. Ballenger’s story.

So wasn’t I totally surprised by the depth of story and the world building Ms. Ballenger managed to squeeze in to this introduction to her new world, Execution Underground? This novella was a spectacular way to start off her series. A sweet, shorter story so readers don’t have to invest too much time into the world. But I was completely sucked in and left dangling at the end screaming, “More!! Don’t stop now!!!” Here’s my reasons why I’m loving this debut PNR author…

Characters

First, let me share with you a very cool thing that Ms. Ballenger did when she sent out the uncorrected proofs of her story for review. She wrote a little letter entitled “Dear Reader” that explains how she came about structuring the series and why the stories are the way they. Here’s the letter, reproduced with Ms. Ballenger’s permission, in its entirety:

Dear Reader,

In the upcoming pages you’ll find a prequel to my paranormal romance series, the Execution Underground, about an international organization of elite men, hunters of the supernatural who fight to protect humanity from the evil lurking after dark. The prequel, SHADOW HUNTER, is the story of Damon Brock, vampire hunter and founder of the Rochester division of the clandestine organization. When the hunters of the Rochester division first came to me, the attitude I received from Damon’s character simply said: “piss off, lady”…not surprising that Damon became the last member on my roster for the order of the six novels.

In September 2013, TWILIGHT HUNTER, the first full length novel in the series featuring werewolf hunter Jace McCannon, debuts. I intended TWILIGHT HUNTER to be the beginning of the series, but when Harlequin approached me with the offer to fill the remaining section of this anthology with a prequel I jumped at the chance. With the help of some whom had already read TWILIGHT HUNTER, the thought of a prequel, the pre-story of Damon, the elusive badass we see brief glimpses of within Jace’s novel arose. Though I never wanted to showcase Damon’s soft side which you will see in this short novel, the more I told Damon’s origin story, the more his character opened up. Now, I can’t wait to tell the rest of his story and I hope once you finish reading his prequel, you’ll be equally as excited, too.

Though his full novel will still be last in the series, Damon’s metamorphosis is intertwined within the stories of his fellow hunters. I hope that reading SHADOW HUNTER before the other novels in the series will reveal that to you in the way I’ve always seen it, and I hope Damon’s story brings you all the smiles, laughs, gasps, and tears it gave me. Thanks so much for reading. I’m blessed to be able to share this with you.

Sincerely, Kait Ballenger

So we have Damon, who has just arrived in Rochester, NY to avenge the death of his best friend. He blames himself for his best friend’s death but ultimately, it was a vampire who killed Damon’s fellow hunter on the Execution Underground. Damon seems to be one of those guys who has always had a tortured soul and blames everything wrong that happens around him on himself. He’s a big, tall drink of sexy and pretty much lives a loner existence.

Damon runs into Tiffany at a nightclub where he’s trying to apprehend the vampire who killed or played a part in killing Damon’s best friend, Mark. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you’re looking at the whole mess), so is Tiffany and they end up running into each other quite literally.

Tiffany is great as a protagonist because she’s both young and gutsy but at the same time intelligent in her hunting skills. She doesn’t have any of the super human strength that Damon has but she can think quick on her feet. She is vulnerable and sensitive, too. She’s never kissed a boy before, let alone done “other things” with them. She’s been too busy hunting vampires, avenging her family’s death, and going to college. A girl’s gotta have priorities I guess :)

Story / World Building / Tempo

The story behind this couple is quite cool – Damon and Tiff have “met” in the past but have never “met” in person. Damon figures out who Tiff is and tries to steer clear of Tiff but of course that’s impossible for young love *sigh*. Through a series of “not telling the entire truth”-s, their lives become more and more wrapped up and it all comes down to that final battle every reader wants in a great PNR story.

Honestly, this ending threw me for a loop and a half . We’re talking non-stop story, no lulls, all the way until we’re down to the very last sentence in the story. So much story for such a little “story”, novella style. So worth it!!

Review appears on button1
July 2, 2013
This Is a team review with Francesca:
Click here to..

Shadow Hunter by Kait Ballenger

I was pleasantly surprised of how good this novella turned out to be. Shadow Hunter is the prequel for Execution Underground but not one time that this book felt like it was a prequel. The author’s execution of a good world building and character build up was awesome. Ms. Ballenger delivered a good blend of action, suspense and an ending that will have you panting for more. This author certainly captured my attention and believe me, I will be keeping an eye out for more of her work.

Damon Brock and Tiffany Solow had several things in common. First is the loss of a loved one. Tiffany’s brother, also Brock’s best friend was killed by a vampire. Unfortunately, Mark’s death is not something neither of them can forget. They also have the same drive to seek out revenge. Brock continues to work for Execution Underground waiting for the opportunity to kill his friend’s murderer. And Tiffany’s goals are the same but has become an undercover vampire hunter. Fate has a funny way of bringing them together. As the infected vampires and deaths are on the rise, they will end up working side by side toward the same goal but ultimately to revenge Mark’s death.

I really like Damon and Tiffany. Damon is a classic hero who is strong physically and mentally, very sexy and respects a woman who is just as strong. And Tiffany is equally strong. I mean this girl can kick ass and has balls bigger than most man I know. Their relationship was cute and heartfelt throughout the book until the story took a turn at the end. I honestly didn’t expect a tearful and jaw dropping end. By the way this book ended, gave me the impression that this series will be of UF genre. But looking at Twilight Hunter’s blurb, looks like Execution Underground is PNR. I have not had much interaction with the author and I have not had any discussions with anyone about this book, so, I’m not really sure, but damn it, I am hoping to get more of Damon and Tiffany. I know that this is not…CANNOT be the end of their story. If the rest of the books from Ms. Ballenger are as good as this prequel, She will most definitely be added to my favorite authors list.

The Darkest Angel by Gena Showalter

The harpies are my favorite females in this series, well with the exception of Anya, of course. The Darkest Angel is the story of how Bianka and Lysander got together. We’ve known from the series books they are a couple, but how did a harpy manage to get with an Angel?

I think these two could’ve gotten their own book, they were certainly amazing together and I would’ve loved to see their relationship more developed. But what we got was full of humor, tensions, battles of will and naughtiness.

Lysander wants to convert Bianka from her evil and impure ways. So he decides he will kidnap her and bring her to his home, in a cloud, keep her there, and teach her how to be good. Not counting on the fact that he wants her too much, and he can’t help it if she affects him in ways he doesn’t even understand. What are these feelings? How can he deal with them? Well, maybe he shouldn’t. And he leaves her alone in his house for long periods at a time.

This just makes Bianka furious. Doesn’t he know that a harpy can’t even eat or drink unless she steals! There’s nothing for her to steal, how is she going to survive? And why is her traitorous body warming at the mere sight of the Angel.

Funny, yes. Cute and romantic, yes. HOT, absolutely. And … totally memorable. Let’s just say if you’ve ever thought about Paris half naked in a mud fight with another hot half naked guy, then you have to read this story!

Favorite Quotes:

“Would you rather be a bridesmaid or be hit by a bus?”
“The bus. No question. That, I’d recover from.”
“Agreed.”

“Her motto: if it’s unethical and illegal and you’ve got the cash, I’m your girl.”

*ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Sabina Bundgaard.
Author 16 books24 followers
May 30, 2013
4,5 stars

This is the story of how the Rochester Division of the Execution Underground was started. But to know (and understand) why a new Division was necessary, we need to go back a little…

Damon Brock requested the transfer to Rochester. After the last mission, where EVERYTHING that shouldn’t go wrong, DID go wrong… All he wants is revenge. Damon wants payback for the killing of his best friend and fellow Hunter; Mark Solow.

Damon has closed himself off from the world around him. He’s always been a loner – but he’s even cut the string to the one person who knew him by heart. Not by face- since they’ve never met, only written letters to each other. (It’s a long story. Let me just say; exchanging letters started as forced by the Execution underground, but that’s not how it continued.)

Anyways…. (back to topic) There’s a reason why Damon requested Rochester. (Other than it should be relatively quiet supernatural wise *cough, cough*). The vampire who killed Mark should be there somewhere. All he needs to do- is to find him….

Tiffany Solow misses her brother like hell. Mark was the only family she had left in this world. Unless you count B, but then… He was responsible for Mark’s death. How would she ever be able to forgive him?

Putting all her skill, determination, good looks and stubbornness to the test; may Hell or High water come – Tiffany WILL find the vampire who staked her beloved brother.

Sooo… What happens when two different and equally stubborn people met? When both want revenge, both want the same vampire? Will they be able to put pasts hurt behind them and work together?

I have NO idea where to start. None.

Well, I can tell you I LOVED Shadow Hunter. Absolutely, freaking loved the book. From the beginning to the very end.

Even the end – although it was… Nope, NOT going there.

Damon and Tiffany are both stubborn (I do think I mentioned that). To tell you the truth, I think a donkey would be more agreeable. Seriously.

I wanted to walk up to Damon and smack him up on his thick head. He knew who Tiffany was when they met – and he didn’t tell her. And yet… I wanted to hug him, as well. He did everything to protect Tiffany – even when she didn’t want him to.

And Tiffany… Sigh. Brave, stubborn, left with impossible choices, and STILL stands by who she is. Her inner core. (Closing eyes)
In addition to reading Damon and Tiffany’s story (well, part of their story), we get a quick peek at the rest of the new Rochester Division. (Oh my god.. Just saying. I swear – I’m STILL fanning myself over these guys!!)

Shadow Hunter is… Well, how shall I describe those pages?

Gut-wrenching.

An emotional rollercoaster.

Tear-inducing.

Filled with sprinkles of hope and love.

Toe-curling.

Breath taking.

Throw-to-the-wall kinda book.

The ending was the absolute hardest part to read for me. It was… rough. (That’s the best way to describe the event). And yet…The ending fitted so perfectly with the rest of the book. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Yes, the ending was emotional hard to read. I cried, I seethed. I wanted to throw the book at the nearest wall…. But. It was RIGHT.
Sometimes the ending isn’t the way we (the readers) want it to be. Then the author should get even more credit for doing it. For keeping true towards the story, the characters and themselves.

Kait Ballenger have created something new and amazing with her new series; Execution Underground, and if Shadow Hunter is a taste of what Kait has to offer… wow. Sign me up for more!

Trust me when I tell you this; you HAVE to put Kait Ballenger on your MUST READ LIST, because boys and girls…. She is THAT good.

Now, if you’ll all excuse me… I have a date with a book…. Twilight Hunter. (Yes – THAT book. The first book in Kait’s series. And no… This is MY copy. Mine! Hands off!!!)
Profile Image for Kristin .
1,144 reviews168 followers
June 7, 2013
***This review is for Shadow Hunter only ***

Damon is on the hunt for the head vampire who killed his partner, Mark. However, when he tracks down the bloodsucker, he finds Mark's little sister acting as a potential feeding host. She's no longer the teenager he used to write letters to. She's hunting her brother's killer and will do anything to seek revenge, even if it means putting her life on the line.

I don't know why but I'm always a fan of the best friend's little sister stories. This one had a fun twist to it though. Damon and Mark were Hunters together and in an attempt to help Damon release some pent up emotions, Mark gets his little sister to start writing Damon. Pretty soon the two of them are close pen pals but neither of them have met. So fast forward to the present time, Mark was killed in action, Tiffany blames Damon for not saving him and Damon agrees with her assessment. When these two meet, she has no clue that her brother's partner "B" is the same man standing in front of her and of course Damon isn't going to be forthcoming with that information. However, they have a common goal and that is to take down the vampire responsible for Mark's death. So they team up to try to take this vampire down, while becoming closer in the process.

Even though this is a novella that sets up the Execution Underground series, there was a lot going on. We got to understand the characters, the world that they live in as well as get a grasp for the stage that Kait is setting. This series isn't going to revolve around just vampires, the EU handles all things supernatural and apparently there is a whole butt load of supes in Rochester, NY.

"I hate to tell you this, but Rochester is swamped with supernatural predators. There are reported werewolf sightings, possibly a full-on pack, there are demons lodged so deep the people they've possessed are pretty much done for, there are several small witch covens, loads of non-wereworlf shifters-oh, and that's not even including all the poltergeists and ghosts reported in the old abandoned asylum."

So with all the action taking place in Rochester, Damon finds himself appointed team leader and will soon be getting a team of Hunters to help him handle all the things that go bump in the night. If the prequel is anything to go off of, this is going to be an amazing series. I'm so glad I found out about this debut author. The whole story was captivating, from the intense fight scenes to the seductive bedroom scenes. If you are a fan of paranormal romance than this is an absolute must. I personally cannot wait to read more of not only the EU series but anything that Kait comes out with.

Favorite quote...
I was born & raised in Syracuse so of course I loved that this book takes place in Rochester.

"Not even 9:00p.m. and already he'd taken out one bloodsucker. Rochester seemed promising."
Profile Image for Sandy S.
6,189 reviews152 followers
June 10, 2013
SHADOW HUNTER only review...by Kait Ballenger

Shadow Hunter is part of an anthology called AFTER DARK with Gena Showalter and Kait Ballenger. Shadow Hunter is Kait’s storyline featuring Vampire Hunter Damon Brock and Tiffany Solow-a woman he has loved from afar but never really knew.

Damon Brock has been desperate to prove himself worthy of the title vampire hunter, but when his best friend and fellow hunter at the Execution Underground was killed while on assignment, Damon cannot compete with his own guilt. Feeling he has betrayed his best friend, Damon makes it his mission to hunt down the vampire who struck down Mark Solow. And the last person Damon ever thought he would meet on assignment was Tiffany Solow-Mark’s little sister-all grown up and hunting the vampire who took her brother’s life. When Damon discovers Tiffany’s plans, he must decide whether to reveal the truth about his identity and relationship to Mark or continue to hide behind a cold façade of anger and pain.

Meanwhile there is a string of vampire killings that resemble something similar to zombie feasts. With no explanation, Tiffany and Damon seek out known vampire haunts and discover that the mysterious zombie-like behavior plaguing new vampires may not be a naturally occurring event. Hoping to take down one of the oldest vampires, Tiffany puts her life on the line and in doing so, discovers the truth behind the origins of the vampire virus.

The relationship between Damon and Tiffany begins as one of disdain and animosity then friends to lovers. When Damon discovers that Tiffany is willing to risk her life to take down the vampire who killed her brother, his hopes and fears for his best friend’s sister turns Damon into both protector and warrior. But Damon holds back a few secrets from Tiff, and if those secrets were revealed, Damon believes his relationship with Tiff would never be the same.

SHADOW HUNTER is a well-written, fascinating and amazing storyline that introduces the premise behind Execution Underground and the men and women who risk their lives fighting the supernatural creatures that stalk the human world. Kait’s fantasy world of vampire hunters and the undead they seek had me reading until the very end- and oh, what an ending it was. I hope to learn more about what happens to Damon and Tiff-but the ending was heart breaking and painful to read.

see all of my reviews at : thereadingcafe.com
Profile Image for Laura *Little Read Riding Hood*.
681 reviews206 followers
May 23, 2013
***I only read Shadow Hunter so my review is only for Shadow Hunter***

Quickie Review:
I really enjoyed how Ballenger drew me into the world of the Execution Underground but never left me feeling confused or lost, yet at the same time moved the story along and allowed me to get to know the characters. It can be hard for me to connect with the characters in a short, but I found myself caring about their feelings and what happened to them. While I found myself confused at some of their decisions and disagreeing with some of their choices I could still empathize with their pains and struggles.

It was a great introduction to Ballenger’s debut series, Execution Underground, and I am certainly looking forward to diving right into Twilight Hunter.
Profile Image for Harlequin Books.
16.3k reviews2,768 followers
Read
December 29, 2014
"In this hot anthology Showalter brings readers a Lords of Darkness story and Ballenger offers up an Execution Underground prequel. Pages sizzle with 'The Darkest Angel' as a harpy makes it her goal to besmirch the innocence of a demon hunter. Imaginative and seductive, Showalter's tale is the author at her best and it caused this reviewer to blush more than once. Debut author Ballenger shows awesome potential and talent with 'Shadow Hunter.'" RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars

Category: Paranormal Romance
Profile Image for Melissa Hayden.
815 reviews119 followers
July 14, 2013
Both are new authors to me. I enjoyed the stories told by both. One of vampire hunters, in a town full of more supernatural than suspected who find each other while fighting the same battle. Kait has the starts of a new series I'm looking forward to following. The second, of angelic warriors and demons. A warrior finds his temptation in a gorgeous Harpy that draws his attention, that could destroy him. But what he doesn't realize, she could very well be the temptation to make him better. Gena has a full world I want to experience and will be looking to pick up.

***FULL REVIEW***
The Darkest Angel:
Lysander has found his temptation, and like the others of his kind - the elite seven - will destroy it to prevent it from destroying him. His downfall - Bianka Skyhawk a beautiful daughter of a Harpy and a Phoenix shifter, but also the blood of demons which are Lysander's greatest enemy. Lysander lives to eliminate his enemy when they step over the line into wrong doing. But since he first saw her, he had been cursed with what humans call desire, and he can't have that. Not able to kill Bianka yet, not without approval from the Powers above, he imprisons her in his home as to not tempt him any further and teach her the right way to live.

We have two POV's in this story; Lysander and Bianka. I love the two. Lysander is the 'innocent' and Bianka is the experienced one in this world. I like the reversal of roles here. Bianka and her wild ways, I loved listening to her and her twin Kaia talk. They are to fun. But she has one serious thing she'd like to do one day. For a Harpy, it's unheard of.

Gena takes us along as Bianka teasers Lysander to the brink of explosion. Each time Lysander comes closer to falling - what he is fighting so hard to avoid - into Bianka's arms. Bianka is wonderful. She knows exactly how to torment Lysander and reads him so well. Yet, it seems Bianka might find she is more attracted to Lysander with all her efforts to leave his cloud home that's become her prison.

This world feels rich and full. One that feels like I should experience more of. I loved the creation with the play on angels and demons and everything between. There is a lot to the characters here, and I want to meet all that were mentioned and more. I will have to try this series by Gena because from what I'm seeing here, I think I'll enjoy the world and it's blended with Romance too.

Shadow Hunter:
Damon is on a mission. If the night goes as planned, there will be five dead. All vampires and one being the top of his list. Damon has tracked his target to Club Fantasy, a dangerous club in Rochester New York. Damon requested this assignment of a string of dead bodies to find this target, to avenge his friend even if it means crossing paths with her - one from his past. Damon feels he failed everyone, because of Caius, and he will kill him for it. The person he comes across while there, isn't where or doing what he expected. Far from it. Tiffany is on a mission as well. Two are out to kill the same man. Will they kill each other in the crossfire? Or learn of each other and put their guilt and pride away to work together? Or even feel more between them, when they learn who the other truly is...

We are introduced to the Execution Underground and their ways in this novella. By the end, you know who the crew is that will be working the area and ready to pick up in the first full length novel, Twilight Hunter. Rochester is becoming the hot spot for Supernatural activity of all kinds, as Damon is seeing first hand. And now is a new place to have a crew for Execution Underground to control and eliminate the threats.

We have two POV's in this story; Damon and Tiffany. Romance GALORE with Damon here! Sweet. Hot. And Sexy! Mhmm, delicious tale with Damon. I enjoy him and Tiffany. Two people who didn't want partners find it might help to work together to accomplish their goal - to kill a powerful ancient Vampire.

This is a romance. I liked that there is a connection between the main characters. There is an immediate desire, but there is a great tidbit of history (unknown to one - you'll have to read to understand why) to build on. I like when there feels to be something deeper in relationships in romances, and Kait has nailed it perfectly for me. The attraction heats and pulls us along with them.

I enjoyed the little things about vampires that were played with and explained, to make the myth of vampires the authors own. Here, Kait describes the rules and creates her world, setting the rules to play with and around.

I enjoyed this romance story. Sex, fighting, growth to a starts of a new world and characters. What more can I ask? I'll be following this series!
Profile Image for Tamara.
495 reviews47 followers
July 8, 2013
This is a review of Shadow Hunter only.

Originally posted on Shelf Addiction! Check this and more of my reviews at Shelf Addiction

Disclaimer: I received this book as a ebook courtesy of the author in exchange for an honest review.

Shadow Hunter is apart of a two story anthology, After Dark (Lords of the Underworld #4.5) by Gena Showalter and Kait Ballenger.

Woah, this was good! Kait Ballenger was able to give what felt like a full novel in a mere 200 pages. This story was full of action, hot romance scenes, vampires and of course a sexy hunter! Oh yea, I'm digging this. I can tell that The Underground Execution series will be one to watch.

I adored these characters! Seriously. So often the trend has been to make the vamps the heart throbs, but this time it's the vampire hunter who is hot and irresistible! I love the change of pace.

Damon is brooding, morning the loss of his best friend and partner, Mark. He's also out for vengeance. In the mist of hunting down Mark's killer he stumbles across Mark's little sister Tiffany. Tiffany herself is also no stranger to taking out Vamps. Though she isn't professionally trained hunter, she's no slouch and Damon gets more that he's bargained for. The two of them become unlikely partners both with the same goal of taking down Mark's killer. We quickly discover that Damon and Tiffany have a history together, more than being connected only by Mark. So guess what this means? No instalove! Yes!

I thought the chemistry between them was spot on. The action scenes were also well written. The novella flowed and was a very fast read. The story was complete and left you wanting to read more about the world of the Execution Underground. I can't wait to read Twilight Hunter!! Which I'll be reviewing next month! You'll want to check back for that because I'll be holding a giveaway for a paperback copy!

If you're into the BDB series or even the Midnight Breed series, I feel this would be up your alley. Check it out!
Profile Image for All Things Urban Fantasy.
1,921 reviews611 followers
June 29, 2013
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

This review is for SHADOW HUNTER only.

Rarely does a book manage to sucker punch me on the very last sentence. By that point I’ve usually guessed the possible outcomes and it’s hard to surprise me. But SHADOW HUNTER, a prequel novella to Kait Ballenger’s new series, Execution Underground, did just that. Leaving me speechless and wanting more, SHADOW HUNTER packs action, romance and an underground society of vampire hunters into 200 amazing pages.

Damon, the focus of the novella, is a hunter for Execution Underground- a secret organization of men who hunt vampires and other supernatural creatures including werewolves, ghosts and demons. Tiffany is the sister of the partner Damon just lost, and she and Damon were pen pals for years, forming a close bond, even though they never met. Damon is one of those heroes who you can’t decide whether you want to shake him or hug him. He’s a complex character, strong but vulnerable when it comes to Tiffany and stuck in a place where he blames himself for his partner’s death. Tiffany is a great match for him. While she sometimes makes some poorly thought out decisions, she’s smart and headstrong, and she wants to be equal with Damon, not just sit around and wait for him to do everything.

SHADOW HUNTER is an excellent debut. When dealing with novellas, it is hard to fully flesh out a world, but Ballenger does a good job of balancing giving enough details to understand the world Damon lives and including enough action to keep the story flowing. And does it flow! There wasn’t a slow moment. With such an enjoyable introduction to the Execution Underground series, I can’t wait for the first full book, TWILIGHT HUNTER, which is coming out in August.

Sexual content: Several sex scenes
Profile Image for Jennifer (random jendsmit).
392 reviews25 followers
July 19, 2013

Really solid story,loved these characters, can't wait to read more of this series!

Fantastic ending!

-----------

Soooooooooooo what do you think of that cover?! It's hot right! Well it's even better in person on my paperback!! Anyway... no need to show off my cover-whore colors anymore, you already know I love book covers :)

I have not read The Darkest Angel yet, but I will.... But that isn't what we are talking about today! Today we are talking about Shadow Hunter by Kait Ballenger. I have not read anything from Kait prior to this book, but I can guarantee I will be reading anything I can find from her now! I loved her writing ... the style, the flow, the characters, the content - ALL OF IT! This book is solid and it is just a prequel to her series Execution Underground! I will be picking up these books as they are released.

Ok now to get into the meat of this story. Damon Brock is a bad-ass, sexy as hell, assassin for the Execution Underground. He is in Rochester, NY on the hunter for someone specific while taking care of regular business for the EU. He's working in a club when we see and meet Tiffany for the first time. She is soooooo awesome! She's beautiful, independent, strong, kicks ass and takes names, has an attitude that will kick your ass any day of the week. I loved her! To say the least these two have some chemistry ... and I'll leave that alone so you can read it yourself. **bwhahahahaha** Now I couldn't stop reading when I figured out they have history together - you will do the same, I promise!

This story grabs you by the balls and throws you against the wall and goes full throttle all the way through.
I really enjoyed it and I think you will too - so check it out and keep an eye on this author. I think great things are coming from her!

Profile Image for Melliane.
2,004 reviews340 followers
June 19, 2013
Underground 0.5: 3.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

I didn’t know this series and this author before the opportunity to experience this new novella and I did it with a great pleasure.

Since this is just a prequel, we can read the story quite fast, but it is still very well done too. Kait Ballenger presents her characters and their world in a few pages. We discover Damon, the vampire slayer who secretly loves the sister of his dead friend. It must be said that during his revenge mission he expected everything but meet this girl he never saw. It was quite nice to see them both together, shy and curious about each other. Their story is quite easy, and it’s true that it’s a bit idealistic or common, but it’s cute. It’s not a complex or original plot but it provides some interesting ideas and I’m curious to see what the author reserves us for her first full novel. I also think about a particular idea introduced here and I would like to learn more about it. By cons I think I would have liked to know more after this end about our hero and heroine. I am so surprised that we won’t be able to see them in the first volume but I hope we will see them from time to time. They will both be obsessed with revenge but at the same time they try to protect each other.

This is a cute story and I think I will try to get the whole book to get a more precise idea of ​​the series. I’m curious to discover everything.
Profile Image for Jen.
710 reviews5 followers
June 4, 2013
Wow - What an ending!
What's a guy to do?? Right?? lol

Damon is in Rochester trying to avenge the murder of his best friend. He knows who did it, and knows how to kill the Leech - only one thing standing in his way.

Tiffany is now fully in the circle of vampires. and has Cialis in sight. He's interested in her, and she's ready to strike. Getting revenge for her brother's death is the only thing she cares about. Mark trained her to know how to deal with vampires. She's ready for this..
That is until HE shows up.

When Damon saw Tiffany, he immediately knew who she was. Mark's younger sister. And the girl he spent many years writing to in order to keep him grounded.
But luckily she didn't know who he was. She had never seen a picture of him, so he could go on pretending. He knew she blamed him for her brother's death, and he couldn't blame her. He blamed himself.

When the two of them get together and realize they're both out to get the same guy, they're able to team up, despite she knows he's responsible for her brother's death, and kill him.

When they discover that the vampires are carrying a disease that is effecting the way they evolve. And once Cialis is dead, things start to really take a turn for the worse.

Really fun story to read - these two had a great history together and their chemistry was great.

Looking forward to finding out more about these guys in the next book in September :D
Profile Image for Linda.
1,114 reviews47 followers
July 18, 2013
I'm a huge fan of Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series and knew I couldn't miss The Darkest Angel, Lysander's story. If you are a fan of the Lords, you will be in for a treat with this entry. Lysander hasn't exactly endeared himself to me as he's been a goody-goody with the Lords. I'm so glad that Bianka finally gave him a come-uppance! There were some laugh-out-loud moments that I will treasure. AND a GREAT ENDING! Thank you, Gena, for another winner!

Then... I also thoroughly enjoyed Shadow Hunter by Kait Ballenger! She is a new author for me and I can guarantee that I will be reading more books by her! LOL! In fact, Twilight Hunter, the 1st full book in her Execution Underground series, is already on my nightstand waiting for me. Damon Brock is a vampire hunter with the EU (Execution Underground). He is still reeling from the death of his good friend, Mark, during a recent raid. Damon has made a promise to himself to take down the vamp who was responsible for his friend's death. While pursuing that goal, Damon meets Tiffany in a private room in Club Fantasy and neither of their lives will ever be the same. This novella begins the story of Damon and Tiffany and ends with a cliffhanger that will be resolved later in a book devoted to both of them. I LOVED Damon and can hardly wait for their story to be told!

Bottomline: TWO AWESOME novellas in After Dark. 5 stars to both!!!!!!
Profile Image for Katherine 黄爱芬.
1,978 reviews229 followers
June 25, 2020
Buku ini terdiri dari 2 novella:
- The Darkest Angel by Gena Showalter
- Shadow Hunter by Kait Ballenger

The Darkest Angel menceritakan ttg Lysander yg menangkap Bianka, harpy cantik yg nakal dan sulit diatur. Bianka tidak ada niat utk tunduk dan takluk pd Lysander, malah menggoda Lysander dgn berbagai cara termasuk mendatangkan Paris, si Berahi.

Well, saya kurang demen dgn karakter Bianka ini. Harpy yg utk mendapatkan makanan saja hrs mencuri membuat saya meringis dgn tingkah lakunya yg gak tau malu. Lysander sendiri lebih spt bucin yg cemburuan sejak bertemu Bianka. Lagipula gak ada konflik yg berarti juga di novella ini.

Shadow Hunter adalah novella yg authornya baru pertama kali saya baca. Author ini gaya penulisannya juga saya kurang demen. Mungkin krn banyak yg direpetisi juga angst-nya. Menceritakan ttg Damon Brock, pemburu vampir yg bertekad membalas dendam atas kematian sahabatnya, eh malah bertemu dgn saudari sahabatnya ini, Tiffany Solow yg masih belia, 22 thn. Tiffany ini tipe heroine sotoy keras kepala yg bikin saya kesel dgn sifat gegabahnya.

Yg membuat saya meringis juga koq si Tiffany gak sadar Damon adalah B, teman baik kakaknya yg selama ini dia puja dlm khayalannya. Jadi ya rada heran aja dgn telat mikirnya Tiffany. Novella ini beneran ngeselin dgn ending yg cliffhanger padahal lagi seru-serunya atuh. Yasudahlah, jadi novella ini juga B aja bagi saya.
Profile Image for Nikki McCarver.
194 reviews41 followers
July 10, 2013
Even though there are 2 stories in this book, my review is just for Kait Ballenger's Shadow Hunter. If ever there was a tortured soul, Kait definitely nailed it with her creation of Damon Brock. Haunted, a loner, tough, not quite human, alpha, and 100 percent yummy, Damon fits all my requirements for instant love. In this series, the vampires are the bad guys. I must say its actually refreshing to have the super-human vampire hunters as the hero. We follow Damon on hit quest to avenge his partner's death. The situation gets complicated when his little sister turns up in the mix. Did I say complicated? I meant hot :) Damon forgets all the reasons about its better to be alone and gives in to the temptation that is Tiffany. But he is harboring a few secrets that can turn her against him forever. Will these newly formed feeling survive the truth?

This was a great intro into Kait's world an I look forward to reading the rest of the series. Tiffany was a self-assured, kick-ass kind of female, who didn't need Damon. It ends on a horrible cliffhanger...I literally almost threw my computer. That is the only peek you get! It was a really good read and I look forward to more from the author!!
Profile Image for Froggarita.
187 reviews156 followers
July 18, 2013
This book has 2 separate stories from 2 different authors and I am reviewing Shadow Hunter (Execution Underground #0.5) by Kait Ballenger. This is the prequel to Kait's Execution Underground series.

Shadow Hunter features Vampire Hunter Damon Brock who works for the elite secret organization known as the Execution Underground and is out for blood for the death of his partner. Tiffany Solow is a woman who knows how to kick some ass and looking for revenge for her brothers death. She is also his dead partners sister!

The book started a tad slow but soon picked up speed. The two of them work together to try and kill the head vampire while having some steamy chemistry! I loved reading the back story and learning about Damon and Tiffany story. The fight scenes were great as were the seduction scenes! Just be warned...the book ends with one heck of a cliffhanger that literally has you dying for more!

Twilight Hunger which is book #1 in the series comes out August 27th!

Rating - 4 1/2 potion bottles!
Profile Image for Franjessca .
1,208 reviews81 followers
November 21, 2021
Full Review posted on A Book Lovin' Mama's Blog

(I am only reviewing Shadow Hunter from After Dark)
I read Gena Showalter's The Darkest Angel back three years ago and loved it...and I was excited to read the debut novel of Kait Ballenger's upcoming Execution Underground series.

Kait Ballenger gives you not only vampires, but she also makes sure to let you know that other supernaturals are going to be in the series as well. Be prepared for some steamy sex scenes and action-packed adventures in this book. It may be short, but it opens up the series very well.

I recommend this book to PNR lovers out there everywhere. I give this book 4.5 moons, and I look forward to reading Twilight Hunter when it comes out.

I received a complimentary copy of the book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Dani C. (Polly's Place).
546 reviews243 followers
July 13, 2013
This review is for the novella Shadow Hunter by Kait Ballenger.

Don’t you just love that feeling you get when you finish a book and you realize that you have found a new favorite author? Because that is the feeling I got when I finished this very enjoyable novella! The plot and the characters totally dragged me into their world and I can’t wait to go back again.

Damon Brock is a part of Execution Underground, a group of vampire hunters who protect humans from the hungry vampires. Now that his closest friend has been killed he has sworn revenge on one of the oldest vampires in New York. Unfortunately Damon is not the only after this vampire. Now he must protect Tiffany from getting hurt all the while trying his best not to fall in love with her.

Now there is a huge, huge cliffhanger at the end but never fear! The next book, Twilight Hunter, will be coming out in September! So you (and I) won’t have a long wait to see what happens next!
Profile Image for Joy Whiteside.
3,973 reviews75 followers
August 6, 2013
This was an awesome book. This book had been suggested to me and I spent about 40 minutes searching the bookstore by my house in order to get it. We finally found it, only 1 copy, which I got. I finished the book as soon as I got home, I actually started reading it on the way home.

The book moved along at a good pace, had characters to die for and a storyline that would not stop.

I am looking forward to reading more about the Execution Underground in the future.

These are two wonderful authors who are excellent storytellers.

Awesome.
Profile Image for Hbeebti.
2,034 reviews50 followers
January 20, 2015
4 stars for story one. 2 starts for story two. I really enjoyed reading about Lysander and Bianka. They cracked me up. Poor Lysander was so ridged and wanted his temptation Bianka to learn to be like him. Yet he craved her and it was funny the way he fought temptation and Bianka shoved it in his face. I certainly enjoyed the little Paris cameo as well.

But sadly book two was just boring for me. I never got into and struggled just to finish it.
Profile Image for Grace Moore.
240 reviews40 followers
June 18, 2013
DARKEST ANGEL only review.

i LOVED the Darkest Angel! of course, i love everything by Gena Showalter, but i especially liked her expert blend of greek mythology and angels to make an enchanting love story. Bianka is a Harpy and that means that she's lucifer's descendant. And Lysander is all that is stead and strong and good and rightious. i enjoyed seeing how lysander changed and loosened up because of Bianka.

I seriously recommend this book! :D
Profile Image for GoodGlory.
366 reviews3 followers
September 26, 2015
Okay, so I finished Gena Showalters Darkest angel. And I loved it as I always love her books. If it was only her story I would have rated it five stars. I got to the second story from Kate, and i couldn't finish it. I got halfway through it and couldn't keep interest in it. I love vampire stories, so stories where they are ugly and being killed...not so much however that is just my personal preference. That cover though!!! Hawt.
Profile Image for Aimee.
33 reviews
July 16, 2013
I love Gena Showalter and the LotU series. The characters are great and I love the world she's created. Her writing is fanstastic. If you haven't read The Darkest Angel yet you should pick it up. I also really enjoyed the other story Shadow Hunter. I will be looking for other books by this new author.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 124 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.