Start by marking “The Sound of Rebellion (The Human Division, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Sound of Rebellion (The Human Division, #8)

The Sound of Rebellion

(The Human Division #8)

The Colonial Defense Forces usually protect humanity from alien attack, but now the stability of the Colonial Union has been threatened, and Lieutenant Heather Lee and her squad are called to squash a rebellion on a colony world. It seems simple enoughbut theres a second act to the rebellion that finds Lee captive, alone, and armed with only her brains to survive.
Published March 5th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of Rebellion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of Rebellion

Start your review of The Sound of Rebellion (The Human Division, #8)
Kaethe Douglas
Well here's a new thing: props to Scalzi for showing a woman soldier in peril, but with nothing sexy about it whatsoever.

That sounds sarcastic, but really, it's refreshing not to have bad guys leering at women and threatening them with sexual violence as a plot point.

Anyway, clever, clever, clever. And intriguing. Eagerly awaiting next week. And the rest.

I bought it.
Jon
The eight episode of Scalzi's Human Division delivered a bit more action and suspense and a return of Lt. Lee (first appeared in the third episode 'We Only Need the Heads'). My only quibble came from the ending and the rather abrupt silence of Lee's thoughts.
Scott
Jun 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Episode 8 of the Human Division. Quite a bit more action in this one than the others and there was more cohesion with the larger story than the last episode. I enjoyed it but I do have to say that there are only 5 episodes left in the story and I was hoping by this point there would be a better picture of what the bigger story is...all I seem to know is Earth and the CU are still having issues...a bunch of diplomatic missions have happened....at some point he's going to have to let us into the ...more
Nikki
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it
This feels a little more connected to the plot than the last episode, but I'm still not sure I can see how this is all going to come together. Awesome female lead character for this episode, though, and a fun escape method that fits in well with everything we already know about the CDF and what they're capable of, while not being obvious or too much of a deus ex machina type situation.
Dan
Another great installment in this series of inter-connected episodes forming a larger narrative arc. Because of that, it is a bit hard to rate & review them individually without knowing what else happens. I'll do a separate review & rating for the entire novel of all thirteen episodes, The Human Division. I really liked this episode though, so that's why it gets 4 stars. A couple of CDF soldiers have been captured by rebels after their ship had been sent to help quell rebellion on one of ...more
Karlyn
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the series more as I went through each episode. At first I struggled because it seemed like random stories set in this universe. But as it continued and I realized it was interwoven story lines I enjoyed them more. The main characters were enjoyable. It's pretty traditional sci fi fare but still worth the read.
Darren Douglas
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
CDF Soldiers kick ass!
Nancy
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is, again, fun, but I’m hoping all these individual booklets come together into something cohesive at the end!
Durval Menezes
I was reviewing my want-to-read list and realized I've read this one already, as part of the "Human Division" novel (which is nothing more than a collection of these episodes plus a few extras).
John
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review is for the entirety of The Human Division, comprised of The B-Team; Walk the Plank; We Only Need the Heads; A Voice in the Wilderness; Tales From the Clarke; The Back Channel; The Dog King; The Sound of Rebellion; The Observers; This Must Be the Place; A Problem of Proportion; The Gentle Art of Cracking Heads; Earth Below, Sky Above.

My first thought about this, the latest story in the Old Man's War universe from John Scalzi, was annoyance that I hadn't read it whilst it was being
Alice
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the eighth installment in John Scalzi's The Human Division serial novel. There will be five more, released over the next five weeks. While I would expect feeling more of a sense of coherence with a greater plot at this point in the series, I'm pleased with what we're getting, instead.

This episode brings back Lieutenant Heather Lee, who we last saw in We Only Need the Heads . She's the main focus this installment, and it starts with her waking blindfolded, bound, and without her uniform
Marcelo
This is another chapter of «The Human Division» that leads away from the galaxy-hopping misadventures of Lieutenant Harry Wilson, Ambassador Ode Abumwe, and Hart Schmidt, but it's very different than when it previously happened, in the chapter Walk the Plank, for here we follow Lieutenant Heather Lee and her squad on a shore leave-turned-kidnapping. A lot of the action in this chapter is reminiscent of the first books from the Old Man's War such as The Ghost Brigades, where John Scalzi focuses ...more
Lis Carey
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-sf, fiction, audiobooks
Another entry in The Human Division, and this time the focus turns away from the Clarke and her diplomatic "B Team." The stability of the Colonial Union is being challenged, and Colonial Defense forces, normally dedicated to defending the CU against alien enemies, has to put down a local rebellion on one of the CU planets. When they think it's over, a small group of CDF soldiers discover there's a second act, and find themselves prisoners of someone who hasn't accepted the result of the first ...more
Pierre
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a review for the series of the Human Division. I have read all the 13 books in a row, this was my first time reading John Scalzi.
I was at first disturbed by the series: more than 400 different races, some with very unfriendly intents toward each other, but all at about the same technological development level and strength which makes it none really prevails? It just does not fit with my idea of technological advancement and species competition.
Anyway, I decided to forget about the
Peter Anargirou
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, google-books
In this week's episode of The Human Division, The Sound of Rebellion, John Scalzi contrasts last week's humor with a captive soldier and a lot of tension. We might not see the main characters, but we get some cool Colonial Defense Forces action!

The Sound of Rebellion continues the trend of giving clues as to who the antagonists are without revealing it just yet. Without spoiling the plot, I can also say that we get another interesting look at the abilities of the CDF and of BrainPals in general.
Randy
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Heather Lee awakes to find herself bound naked and blindfolded into a chair with a filtered voice, calling him/herself Number Two, asking questions. The last thing she remembers is leaving a bar with two friends. And her BrainPal is blocked somehow.

Questions being asked are about Colonial Union movements and instant death is promised if answers aren't forthcoming. Lee is very accommodating, all the while planning what she can do to escape.

The latest chapter in Scalzi's new Old Man's War novel.
Maduck831
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
not one of my favorite entries, would probably go 3.5 stars if i could...more of an "action" story, with nothing too memorable imo (plot wise or character wise)...really not sure if the last five entries will tie everything together or if it will be more stand alone issues...only slight gripe would be the rehashing of certain things, i.e. the smartblood and having to explain why it does what it does...i understand it is for those who haven't read the other old man's war books, but since each ...more
heidi
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is another excellent stand-alone story. It's a locked-room prisoner's dilemma thing, and it is worked out exceedingly well, story
-wise.

I really appreciated this story, and actually went through and read it a second time once I stopped being surprised. You should pick it up.

Read if: You like to read prisoner escape narratives. You enjoy people surviving by their wits.

Skip if: You are going to be distressed by psychological torture.

Also read: The other books in this serial.
Art
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This Scalzi episode reminded me the most of the tv show 24. All that was missing was the ticking clock cause my mind supplied Jack Bauer's voice. The very basic non spoiler plot is three CDF soldiers get captured tortured and interrogated. In turn they must escape or die. Scalzi shows he power of his Old Man's War universe. This episodic work is showing off Scalzi's writing chops very well. Another 5 star awesome entry.
Josh
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a fun action-packed episode in the ongoing series. So far Scalzi has been giving us lots of vignettes of various characters in the universe as the larger plot unfolds in the background. It's an interesting way to look at it. I wonder, since we're past the halfway points whether then larger events will be resolved in this series, or whether he is setting the stage for a larger novel later on. My guess is the latter.
Ryan Lawler
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was an action packed episode, and we finally got a good glimpse at the organisation who are trying to fracture all those human alliances.

It was the shortest episode so far, but for me it was also the most engaging episode. With only five episodes left I worry that there might not be enough time to resolve everything, but Scalzi has a proven track record of awesome and I suspect those so called "filler" stories will turn out to be far more important than people thought.
Kat  Hooper
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice collection of stories set in the OLD MAN’S WAR universe. It continues the plot, so you don’t want to miss it. I listened to the audio version which was very good. You can each episode separately or all together.
We've got a review of the full series here:
Dan
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Quite a bit of imaginative ingenuity in this installment of John Scalzi's The Human Division. Thrilling, to say the least -- heavy with elements of a good suspense tale, this one had a good psychological element to it. It left me wondering, though, how it fits in the overall plot -- this is not a bad thing.
Erin (PT)
It was so hard to wait for this chapter to show up on my Kindle but it pays off the wait. I'm really enjoying the way this series combines fairly stand-alone vignettes, flitting between a pretty large ensemble cast of characters, but slowly adding up to a larger picture.

It's going to be a long week, now I'm all caught up.
Anissa
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another interesting installment in the serial that centers around Lt. Heather Lee & her abduction in Zhuang Guo. She figured out a unique way to map her surroundings & that was most enjoyable. I was more intrigued by the the conversation with the Secretary toward the end & what that's going to mean as we go further than what took place at Zhang Guo. Poor Jefferson. Looking forward to the next.
Kevin
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was exciting, interesting, more plot building but his chapter was just so much meat for the rest of the story, but now we're in the precarious part of the overall novel where things need to start dovetailing into an actual overall story. This hasn't happened yet and I'm worried that chapter 12 or 13 will need to be 500 pages long in order for all of it to make sense.
Adam
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is probably the weakest so far of the serialized series. Bondage, echo-location (which *was* a good trick) and flaming blood once again, but not much else. After 'The Dog King' was so a great this came up a bit short.
Alison
More like The Sound of Badassery, amirite? I know that the CDF soldiers are superhuman and all, but wow.
read more...
Heidi Tighe
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ack! I'm so loving all of these characters, and I'm conflicted because I know that they're all on opposite sides. I'd write a longer review, but I'm busting off to listen to the next book in the series. It's an odd-numbered book, which means that we return to our friends on the B-team. Yum!
Mike
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Colonial Union soldier Heather Lee wakes up naked and blindfolded and bound to a chair. She is being interrogated, and none of her genetic enhancements are working. To date, this is my favorite installment in the series.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Alliance (The Silver Ships #14)
  • Alexander X (Battle For Forever Book 1)
  • The Last Night of the World
  • The Devil in America
  • Chaunt
  • Asleep at the Wheel
  • Chicken Hill
  • Signs and Symbols (Stories of Vladimir Nabokov)
  • Wonderland: An Anthology
  • Spider the Artist
  • Hollow
  • Dislocation Space
  • The Lazy River
John Scalzi, having declared his absolute boredom with biographies, disappeared in a puff of glitter and lilac scent.

(If you want to contact John, using the mail function here is a really bad way to do it. Go to his site and use the contact information you find there.)

The Human Division (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The B-Team (The Human Division, #1)
  • Walk the Plank (The Human Division, #2)
  • We Only Need the Heads (The Human Division, #3)
  • A Voice in the Wilderness (The Human Division, #4)
  • Tales From the Clarke (The Human Division, #5)
  • The Back Channel (The Human Division, #6)
  • The Dog King (The Human Division, #7)
  • The Observers (The Human Division, #9)
  • This Must Be the Place (The Human Division, #10)
  • A Problem of Proportion (The Human Division, #11)