Start by marking “Homecountry (Peter Clancy #1)” as Want to Read:
Homecountry (Peter Clancy #1)

Homecountry

(Peter Clancy #1)

It is 1987 and Peter Clancy, a hard-drinking, hard-living Melbourne Truth journalist returns to his hometown to settle his mother's estate.Peter's two-day visit to Clarke's Flat stretches to eight as he is unwillingly drawn into the sinister secrets of this outback town.
Amazon Highest Rankings:
1) Number seven - Books ( Australian and Oceanian genre)
2) Number eight - Kindle
Published August 12th 2012 by Campanile

To ask other readers questions about Homecountry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homecountry

Start your review of Homecountry (Peter Clancy #1)
Zoeytron
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Hard-drinking Peter Clancy's credo is simple - never look back. It serves him well for a period of years as he writes for a Melbourne rag ironically called The Truth. Sleaze, sex, and scandal are what sells, and the dissolute Peter has no qualms about embellishing "the facts" as needed to heighten the hype.

Upon his mother's death, Peter must return to his hometown to settle her estate. Having eschewed all things having to do with his past there in Clarke's Flat, he resents having to return even
Dale
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a giveaway book I won here on goodreads. Thank you to the publisher for giving me the chance to read this book.

Peter Clancy worked in Melbourne as journalist for a seedy newspaper company. With the many current demons he had, the death of his mother brings him back to his hometown where many more demons await. A horrific adolescent incident that changed many lives is a huge part of this story. The ghost of his abusive father wreak havoc with his mind. There are many skeletons hidden in
Jennifer Althaus
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Homecountry by TW Lawless shows the strength of this Australian writers ability to produce a novel that not only captivates but puts you in a place of reality. TW Lawless entertains with humor, drama, love and a little bit of country lunacy.

Born and raised in North Queensland but currently living in Melbourne Victoria TW Lawless has combined his life experiences in both parts of Australia into one book. He has created a work of fiction that makes Australians feel at home and brings those
Karen
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first of the Peter Clancy books from T.W. Lawless, HOMECOUNTRY takes Clancy to exactly that - home to the town where he grew up, in outback Queensland to bury his mother. With his credo of never looking back this is the first time he's returned to Clarke's Flat since he left, so for the first time he's forced to confront many of the reasons why he left in the first place. And it's not a comfortable outlook.

There's much that's happened in his home town to him, to his family and to friends and
Kkirmos
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a big thriller fan but I loved it. The characters are engaging, if sometimes duplicitous. They are real and flawed, and Lawless makes no apology about them. His style is direct, often graphic, frequently laced with a touch of humour. The book can be confronting at times. He's clearly no fan of mindless authoritarianism, and he explodes the idyll of life in a country town. The story is relevant and it works!
Anthea
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
A page turner and great intro into characters at the start of the book.
Investigations into the past don't truly start until halfway through the book but it's entertaining from first page to last. Look forward to the next Peter Clancy story! Really good first book TW Lawless!
Nicole
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Colourful characters(colourful language too!), a fascinating location and a good plot. I look forward to reading the next book starring Peter Clancy!
nora m malotte
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Home country (Book 1)

You can't escape your childhood. You are not the only one with memories of it. The problem is no one remembers it quite the the the same. And what you remember as as a bad night is somebody's total nightmare ! And it's all come to haunt you or so Peter Clancy is finding out. A fast paced THRILLER with a great story line. Believable it could your home town. I RECOMMEND.
Ema
Peter couldn't remember why he had been in a fight. Maybe he'd been an innocent non-combatant. It would also explain the blood on his shirt when he had woken up on the couch this morning, face down in a pizza. Despite having over a decade's experience if excessive drinking, he still hadn't cured the after-effects, which was why he always planned his hangovers for the weekends. During the week he stuck religiously to his nightly limit of twelve cans of VB.

Homecountry is a fast paced, fairly
She Enigma
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. From the first chapter TW Lawless totally engages his audience, I had formed an opinion of Peter Clancy within the first few pages of reading this fantastic book, deciding I did not like Peter Clancy! He was a totally disrespecting, rude obnoxious drunk with a huge chip on his shoulder. A total loser in the making; until he returned to his home town where he had to face some home truths about himself and the town he once called "home".
Peter has some tough
Miranda
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Whenever I read the description I instantly thought of the movie "Four Brothers". I have no idea why but that's what I had in mind. Whenever I received my free copy, I instantly noticed the different texture of the cover. I could feel and understand Young Peter's dislike of his small town. And the whole time I thought of old classic westerns. I had to remind myself it was in Australia - I've never read a book based in Australia.

I was thoroughly shocked and disgusted at the part with Gibbo and
Suzan
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
TABLOID journalist Peter Clancy loves his job--raking muck for the Melbourne Truth has never paid so well in a society obsessed with the human failings of its media darlings. In fact, the long hours make it easy for Peter to avoid calling his regular shag, Michelle, his girlfriend, and for him to admit that drinking half a slab a day isn’t the best lifestyle choice. When he gets a call saying his mum has died, Peter knows he has to head home to the family property—a dustbowl of a town outside of ...more
Susan
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-read
Peter Clancy isn’t your usual hero and really does seem to be in need of redemption. He writes sex, sleaze and scandal for a tabloid newspaper [making it up if the truth isn’t quite salacious enough], needs to get through a six pack of beer just to drive a 2 hour journey and ran off and left his girlfriend to be raped by a couple of thugs. Still, I grew to like him and was rooting for him when he decided to help his mate investigate a probable murder which had been covered up by a small town ...more
H.M.C. H.M.C.
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Great Aussie Read!
I love reading books set in Australia, and Homecountry was a great Aussie read. TW Lawless has developed some excellent characters here, and my only wish is that there were more pages to delve into. The protagonist, Peter Clancy, although sometimes difficult to like, is gritty and raw. Despite wanting to slap him, you also wish that he could sort himself out, and you find yourself motivated to see what happens to him. There are other parts and characters in the story that
Cathy Smith
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I thought it was an excellent book. The storyline was great and kept you interested. The characters were believeable, but for me, the drinking was in a bit of excess. How can anyone operate with so much liqueur inside them? And the ending of the story left much to the imagination: what happened to Max and Cory - were they killed or just hurt? And Douglas? What was Sam's end? Did the story get out, and what were the results or ...more
Melanie
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads, so thank you T.W. Lawless and Goodreads!

I enjoyed this book. The style of writing appealed to me. It was very easy to visualize and I think this would also make a good movie or mini-series. The language is strong, but that made it more realistic. The main character, Peter, has his faults, but I found him interesting and I am curious about the next book.
Christine Nagel
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific debut novel -- a fast-paced thriller set in the deep north of outback Queensland. Peter Clancy is a flawed but ultimately sympathetic character with realistic bad habits who gets unwillingly drawn into sinister outback skullduggery. TW Lawless has a gift for bringing his characters to life through their realistic and punchy dialogue. Hang on you your hat -- this thriller moves fast.
Denise Klay
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this book and was very happy with it. When it first arrived I perused the dialogue and bookcover and it just grabbed me and I could not put it down. I love when the characters really stir you up this is how I felt when I finished Homecountry stirred up put happy with the book! Thanks for the book.
John Mccrory
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Homecountry by T.W. Lawless. This book is a nice and fast read for you. I read it in 3 days during my lunch break at work. I will add Mr. Lawless to my list of authors worth reading. This book gets you hooked on the first page until the last.
Glen
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Coming from north Queensland, I may have had more reasons than most to appreciate this book. Lawless has written a gritty thriller, with a wonderful turn of phrase and three dimensional characters. Most enjoyable.
Stanley
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent who done it

I'm usually a sci-fi reader but I really enjoyed this book and it's setting. It's the first book set in Australia that I have read in years and seemed to be very well set and kept me interested all the way to the end.
Angela
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Was a good book that I couldn't put down. I read it in two days...
Erma Farai
Apr 02, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
Alhamdulillah...., just read my email that I am one of First-Reads lucky winners of this book. Hope I can receive it soon so I can give my further review bout this.

Tq T.W Lawless and Goodreads...
Peter West
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read, bit different to my normal selections. Gritty and realistic with a North Queensland flavor which I thoroughly enjoyed. Can't wait for the next one.
Tony Parsons
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Melbourne, Australia. 1987, Peter Clancy (30, Melbourne Truth journalist, Central Queensland U, BA; journalism, media), was cruising down Lygon St. after having way too many drinks at the Tote pub.
Peter was meeting Rachel (former Channel 7 weather girl, aka Christine McGuiness).
The wife had caught Christine/husband screwing at their South Yarra house.
She was let go at her job.
Christine was the mistress of a wealthy Italian chain restaurateur.
1 day he beat the crap out of her, then dumped her for
Texas
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Homecountry – This is my first read by this author and I enjoyed it immensely. The various storylines are interesting. The variety of characters run the gamut from good to evil, from dumb to smart and sane to psycho. The pace is continuous and really picks up as the suspense kicks in when all the pieces start to come together. Well written with an easy to read, conversational writing style. Intriguing crimes. Mesmerizing with the antics of the characters.

I was lucky enough to read the paperback
Eszter
Apr 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
I have received my copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads, and again thank you for it!

Basically I've liked this book. The story was interesting and the writing funny. But I think some things just weren't properly explained, or rather detailed. It all felt like it was a draft. I would have liked more details, more descriptions of the relations between the hero and other people. I kinda felt like it was a little bit rushed and I wouldn't have minded a little more action.

But all in all it
Jessica
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Excellent plot but quite underdeveloped. I would have liked to see more narrative of events such as Gloria escaping and finding the photos, etc. She just shows up at the end of the story. Peter conveniently gets into the celler of the police station. Sally is dead. What about Sam? Does Peter ever find out what happens to him? A series of flashbacks may have been the way to narrate this one, even from multiple points of view.
Natasha
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The familiar landscape description, being an Australian novel meant it was easier to picture the scenes and scenery. Strong story teller with unflinching subject matter made for a page turning read, even if sometimes I felt a little uncomfortable. I found it thought provoking and I am certainly going to seek out other novels by this author.
Shofi Choudhury
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
ARC winner of goodreads giveaway.

When i started reading this book i thought it will be a good one.But this author disappointed me.Really this book wasn't enjoying and not a good fiction book.This book is written based on Australia that's and that's why i've been introduced some thing and the life about the Australia.I gave those two star only for this.

I was born and raised in northern Australia, spending my formative years on family cattle stations. I am proudly of Irish, Scottish, English and Iberian ancestry.
I was a Registered Nurse for nearly thirty years but after a major health crisis in 2011, decided to follow my passion of becoming an author.

I am the author of the Amazon best- selling, multi-award nominated Peter Clancy series.
There are

Peter Clancy (5 books)
  • Thornydevils (Peter Clancy #2)
  • Blurline (Peter Clancy #3)
  • Dark Water ( Peter Clancy#4)
  • Flamekeeper (Peter Clancy #5)