Start by marking “The Shell Collector” as Want to Read:
The Shell Collector

The Shell Collector

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A 25,000 word novella by New York Times bestselling author Christopher Golden.

It's October in Gloucester, Massachusetts, where Richie Feehan was born and raised and has lived his whole life. He's a part-time lobsterman and full-time painter who sells his art at galleries in Rockport and Newburyport. Between the two jobs he makes enough money to get by, living in an in-law
Published November 24th 2012 by Daring Greatly Corporation (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Shell Collector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shell Collector

Ken
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
This one was a disappointment on so many levels. "The Shell Collector" started off strong with great character development and a haunting scene on a boat where the protagonist first encounters the Shell Collector. The story just unravels from there.

The emotions in the tale fell flat, the conclusions drawn seemed to miss a logical connection somewhere and the ending pulled up way short.

I am a fan of the novella in the horror genre and feel that in a lot of cases the length of a novella better all
Chris
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads, horror
Golden is a good writer and as monster romps go, this is ok, but this novella just doesn't deliver much. No build up of suspense. I was hoping for a good historical legend of a sea monster and it just didn't happen. We are told superficial bits about the creature but get none of its history or origin, very little in the way of action sequences or scares, and then it just ends.
Chadwick Saxelid
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Richie Feehan, a part-time lobsterman and full-time house painter, has a disturbing experience one morning, while he is out lobstering. There is some thing... strange that is weighing down one of his lobster traps. At first Richie thinks it is just a collection of shells and sediment that has somehow become clotted to the bottom of the trap. But then he notices that the strange looking "clot" of shells and sediment has eyes that are staring up at him from beneath the cold and dark ocean water.

If
Trevor Firetog
Unfortunately, this was an entirely pointless read. It consisted of useless details about painting and lobster fishing until the story picked up... on the last two pages.

The plot was virtually non existent. The characters were flat. And the writing was amateur at best.

What bothers me most is that if any unknown author submitted this manuscript to be published, it would almost surely be rejected on arrival. But since the name that belongs to this is Christopher Golden, it's somehow okay.

In fact,
John
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read one of Golden's novels a couple of years back and thought it was pretty good, but I had difficulty getting much of anything out of this one.

Richie is a part-time Massachusetts lobsterman and most-of-the-time house painter (not fine-art painter, as the blurb states). One day as he tries to pull up a lobster pot he discovers something with nasty eyes staring up at him. Soon he finds out that recently deceased locals are being dug up from their graves. Then he witnesses two local cops being
Shaun Meeks
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first heard of Christopher Golden through Tim Lebbon and the books they wrote together. I am so glad I did. This book is a quick and fun read with some great moments in it. It reminded me of the old EC Comics or Creepy comics I used to read years ago. Great read.
Ms. Nikki
It comes in with the tide
and the heavy rains.
Stealing the bodies of the closest
or those in graves.
The Shell Collector rises
and when the water does fall.
It'll be like it was never,
here at all.

by Nikki

2.5 Stars
A quick creature feature read that could have been better.
Peter
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richie Feehan was born and raised in Gloucester, Massachusetts. Richie was a painter by trade but like to keep up the tradition of being a lobster man. This was something that his grandfather and his father had also done. One day Richie was out in his boat checking on the lobster traps. Richie pulled with all his might to get this trap up where he could see what was in it. He tried again to pull that traps up but it only moved a few inches. He finally could see into the trap. At the bottom of th ...more
Zep
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
honestly, I didn't expect much from this book when I picked it up. I followed a retweet from Joe Hill, it was free, figured I'd give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised with a very good tale. it's a very quick read and I think the ending was a bit hurried (many questions are left unanswered), but everything else about the story is very solid. I've recommended it to several people so far; if you get a chance grab it. before the end of today, if you can (it's no longer free after today, I think) ...more
Rachel
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2014
Seriously creepy? This book is a great read despite some errors that should have been caught during the editing process. It might make you rethink that idea of moving to a small town on the coast though. My advice would be to avoid reading this at the beach, and choose a vacation in the mountains or something.
Brian Mcclain
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A disappointing story, with a cool premise and a great beginning that kind of 'flounder'ed towards the end where the characters kind of fell apart and the explanation of the monster was underwhelming and then an ending that just felt cliche. Still going to give Golden a few more shots, but I think he might be better with a longer medium than a novella.
Teresa
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book started out well, but the characters fell flat and the ending was abrupt. The characters were one dimensional, there was nothing to make me feel or care what happened to anyone, including the main character. The story never delves into what the creature is or even much history regarding the monster, overall I'd give the book a 2.5.
Valadia
A good book...

Scary. Takes you on roller coaster ride from the very start. It is a frightening ride, a teeth grinding in the face of evil kind of ride... I couldn't put the book down!! I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants a proper scare!!!
Leigh
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A canny little horror novella that doesn't pack the punches. Nothing less than I've come to expect from this author
Johnny morrison
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a fun and quick read (read it in one day) that flows nicely and enjoyed every minute...
BungleGrind
Dec 14, 2012
Syspor
rated it did not like it
Apr 05, 2013
Terry
May 15, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Leviathan
  • Peregrine's Tale (Includes: Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #6; The Turtle Boy #4)
  • Invisible Fences
  • The Mountain King
  • Johnny Halloween: Tales of the Dark Season
  • Halloweenland
  • Four Corners Dark
  • The First Bird: Episode 1 (The First Bird, #1)
  • Apartment Seven
  • The Cage
  • Born of Water (The Rise of the Fifth Order, #1)
  • Hell's Belles: Book One (Hell's Belles, #1)
  • Whom the Gods Would Destroy
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more