Start by marking “Dear Killer” as Want to Read:
Dear Killer

Dear Killer

Rule One—Nothing is right, nothing is wrong.
Rule Two—Be careful.
Rule Three—Fight using your legs whenever possible, because they’re the strongest part of your body. Your arms are the weakest.
Rule Four—Hit to kill. The first blow should be the last, if at all possible.
Rule Five—The letters are the law.

Kit takes her role as London’s notorious “Perfect Killer” seriously. The
Published April 1st 2014 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Dear Killer, please sign up.
Katerina
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
YA Novels of 2014
1,545 books — 9,137 voters
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeAlienated by Melissa LandersStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
YA Debuts 2014
369 books — 1,474 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Dear Killer
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

“The Perfect Killer is based in Chelsea and is a student,” I said loudly.
“You...didn’t know that,” I realized with a touch of despair. I had said too much.
I only wanted to prove my cleverness to him, seemingly using information that was public property. But instead I had given him new clues that could lead to me.
Shit.
Well, way to fucking go.

This was just a terrible book. There are so many problems, I am at a loss because I'm not quite sure where to start.

So let's start from the beginning. T
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

I really hate the be that girl who goes around hating every book she picks up. For the past few weeks, there have only been negative reactions to novels. Dear Killer was the same. I tried so hard to see light in it, but that's pretty hard when it's a pile of shit.

Let's start with our main character, Kit. She's the Perfect Killer. A killer who kills without a trace each time. A killer who leaves notes with the body. A killer who is 17 years old and is naive an
Megan
Dec 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
DEAR KILLER is a book where I wish I can take back all those precious hours I spent reading it and devote them to other things. It’s a book I want to forget, a book I want to pretend does not exist. This is no offense to those who love it, or those who worked on it. It’s a book that I found in so many ways to be ridiculous, nonsensical, and at times verging on being completely offensive to a number of groups – victims of domestic violence in particular. And as such, this review might have spoile ...more
Deborah Markus
Have you ever heard of Axe Cop?

Axe Cop is the creation of a five-year-old boy. Five-year-olds come up with weird characters in the course of pretend play all the time. However, this particular child, Malachai Nicolle, has an older brother named Ethan who happens to be a comic-book writer and illustrator.

Ethan Nicolle is a very nice guy who enjoys the time he spends playing with Malachai, and who was amused by the concept of Axe Cop, a police officer who fights crime with the help of a fireman a
Beth  (YA Books Central)
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have seen some mixed reviews for this book and to tell you the truth...that is exactly why I wanted to read it. A book that brings about so many different opinions is exactly what I love to read and I absolutely LOVED this book. It was so different than anything I have ever read and I adored it. I mean a teenage serial killer?? UMMM YEAH!!!! This book was just so disturbingly creepy...and I LOVED IT....

"Rule One. Nothing is right, nothing is wrong.
That is the most important guideline, and
Alisa
Jun 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Find this review and more at http://www.bibliodaze.com

Thank you, Edelweiss, for giving me the opportunity of reviewing this book.

Hello Dear Killer,

Seeing as the one of the main reasons Kit does anything slightly important in this book (except for one person) is because of a letter, I'll write one in the hopes that this book will be one of the killed.

I know that many people think it's impossible for there to be a teen killer. Fortunately for you, I'm not one of them. Sure, they're rare (Most
emma
Aug 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
just realized i have a ton of backed-up reviews i've never posted. so strap in, because this one is a very negative and very long one.

1/5 (0/5 if I could do it)

I don’t take notes on every book I review. If I do, it’s because I’m worried about forgetting my thoughts in the earlier sections (i.e., I’m either reading it too slowly or too quickly) or--and I think you can guess which category this book falls into--I really cannot stand the process of reading the book.

My notes on this book fall into
NotoriousGOT
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This one is going to piss off a lot of people but persoanlly, I really enjoyed it. I'm a bit of a fan of disturbing, serial killer books. I'm a big fan of Dexter and American Psycho and Silence of the Lambs and so when I started reading this book I was hooked. I think this was the first time I've read a YA novel that truly unnerved and disturbed me and I think that's a good thing. I think a lot of people are going to read this and say that this supports violence against women but it's a story. i ...more
Rayne
Stilted, awkward writing; poor characterization; terrible dialogues; horrible representation of women and victim blaming; inconsistent, unrealistic, inaccurate and nonsensical, Dear Killer just flaunts its daring premise and does nothing with it, as it is embarrassingly incapable of making it work.

I've been sitting on this one for about a month, and the truth is that my severe dislike for Dear Killer has not diminished in the slightest, and that, quite the contrary, my animosity towards it grows
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I received from the publisher via Edelweiss.

Many implied spoilers for Dear Killer are within. Not lightly implied either. Read even half-attentively and you will see spoilers.

How on earth I went from enjoying the last 90 pages of the adorable, totally-worth-reading Alienated by Melissa Landers to reading all 368 pages of this... THING in a day escapes me. One of my friends started reading it just before me and warned me of what was to c
Kerri (Book Hoarder)
Can I have those hours of my life back, please? See, this is the bad thing about books, sometimes - it's okay to give up hours of your life if it's worth it, but you feel robbed if it's not.

This book was so fucking dumb. I should have trusted the poor ratings I saw on my feed, but I decided to read it anyway and I just should have known better.

I mean, the concept is interesting. A teenage serial killer? Sign me up! I love dark, twisted books that explore the darker parts of the human psyche. I
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Unpopular opinion review time!

// WHY THIS BOOK IS GREAT

♔ The thematics of this book are incredibly interesting. There's exploration of the eye-for-an-eye mentality and how it can drive people to their limits. Kit only kills people when she feels that they deserve it, but how can she know that someone deserves to die? There's also a great exploration of a ton of different moral issues. Kit's inner conflicts speak to nature vs. nurture, and it's very well executed. This book doesn't attempt to an
Debbie Narh
good

Katherine Ewell’s Dear Killer is a sinister psychological thriller.

description

I don't know who wrote that blurb but they obviously didn't read the same novel as me. Dear Killer is laughable at best.There isn't anything sinister about it. It lacks common sense and has such a childish feel to it. The writing style made me want to claw my eyes out, it's more obnoxious than The Situation from Jersey Shore and just as disgusting.

I am not a killer. I could never kill anyone, and even if I had to for self-def
Cassidy
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it

Despite all of the harsh and disappointed reviews I have read on Dear Killer I really, really , really enjoyed this book, especially after discovering the author is only 18 years old (17 when she wrote the book) and writes with such beautiful wisdom. Sure, the idea that a 17 year old girl could commit murder after murder after murder in one city without getting caught is quite unbelievable, but it isn't supposed to be a true story. It's fiction. Kit Ward exists in a world where the unbeli

Charlotte
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This review first appeared on: Thoughts and Pens.

Dear Killer is not a book that would be enjoyed by everyone. I even have a feeling that a significant amount of readers will hate and burn it. For starters, the main character of this book is not someone that you can really call a “heroine.” Kit Ward is not the girl who will save the day. On the contrary, she’s the dragon who needs to be slain by your knight in shining armor. And the most disturbing thing is that she has a very disturbing view abo
Bonnie
I don't typically allow single reviews to completely decide whether or not I read a book but from what I've heard of this book, I know it's not even worth it.

(view spoiler)
Becki
What the actual Fuck.

This book is so unbelievably, ridiculously fucking stupid. I am shocked it was published. Nothing makes sense.

Dear Killer revolves around a 17 year old tasked with dispatching unsuspecting people. People doing their jobs, leaving a relationship fearing bodily harm, Not reciprocating someone else's feelings. etc etc... Sounds stupid right. That's because it is.

Lets start with Kit our relentlessly observant protagonist. She tirelessly describes everything. Her attractive ye
Jen Ryland
This book drove me to the edge of frustration, but by the end, I had come to appreciate its good qualities. I will explain both sides of my reaction, with spoilers marked.

The Giant Plot Holes
Statistics aside, I'm willing to accept the idea of a teenage female serial killer. However, this particular killer operates in Serial Killer Fantasyland, a place where the police are idiots, dozens upon dozens of adults can be killed by teenage girls with magical karate chops that result in not one broken n
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Mar 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own
Dear Killer is so ridiculous and unrealistic. I rolled my eyes so much, I can't believe my eyeballs are still intact. The concept and plot of this book alone are so odd and weird but I gave it a chance thinking this might be the next “big thing” for me sadly it isn't. The writing is awkward and the characters are one dimensional. It infuriated me. Over all reading Dear Killer made me want to.

This is the kind of book, I wouldn't recommend to anyone.
Giselle
An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

Kit is a killer. A teenage girl who assassinates people. She’s hired by her clients and in exchange for money, she goes and does her job. Leaving a letter by the dead body is the only clue that the police have. When a mysterious letter arrives in the mailbox, she realizes someone is picking up the pieces and trying to track her down.

I had a l
Paula  Phillips
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever picked up a book and just knew by reading the blurb and the title etc , that you would fall in love with it and it would be right up your alleyway ? For me, this was Dear Killer. I had, had this book sitting on my Amazon wishlist when I saw it come up as an Available ARC on Edelweiss Books and I then and there knew I had to request it . Dear Killer, was as perfect as I could have imagined it. It got me interested from the very first page as I wanted to know more about this sevente ...more
Rose
Apr 06, 2014 marked it as curiosity-dries-the-rose
This is one of those few times where I see the average rating of a book amounts to nothing higher than a single star on my friends list, and yet I still want to read it. (Though I think I'll go in prepared with some comfort reads and food before tackling it, because it's bound to be rough.)
Lady Reads
I like it

It was a bit slow at times but overal an enjoyable book.
Lectus
Jul 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
I am so furious I wasted my time with this garbage. God! Empty annoying characters, plot holes, no sense actions, and a very, very lame, stupid, ridiculous, infuriating, I-don't-know-how-to-end-this-book ending.

How in the name of God did people give FIVE stars to this crap? How? How? Did we read the same book?

I think that the idea for the story is great. A teenager serial killer? Bring it on modern time Grave Mercy. But the execution!!! Oh fucking Lucifer, I have't read anything more.... more...
YA Reads Book Reviews
Originally posted on www.yareads.com, reviewed by Nichole.

When I first received an ARC of Dear Killer, I didn’t really know what it was about. I actually thought that it was going to be very similar to Find Me by Romily Bernard. You know, I thought that there was going to be this big murder and the main character was going to solve it and there were going to be a bunch of suspense and action scenes. I wasn’t prepared for the main character in Dear Killer to be a serial killer. It wasn’t a plot t
Melissa Martin
I'm a law student who comes from a family of detectives, police, lawyers and states attorneys. However, I don't really believe you have to be in my life of work to catch these wrongs:

***I'm only 8% in everything I mention comes out in the first chapter so it's not spoiling. Fair warning.

This I teen is London's highest profile killer. People hire her by leaving letters with money in them in a "secret mailbox" aka a hole in the wall of a public womens room.

Here's what's wrong with that scenario:
Abbie
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Dear Killer started out okay, but i lost interest.

Kit was a really hard character to connect too. Her constant change of mind got annoying. One minute she would be feeling remorseful, the next minute, she would be killing again, and finding nothing wrong with it.
Her nickname was "The perfect killer", but she made so many mistakes, that i found it hard to believe that she was perfect at it.

The pacing was fine to start with, but as the story progressed, it started to drag out.
If it had stayed
Rigel
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
My first thought upon finishing this book: thank god it's over. This book was written by a 17 year old, and it sure as hell shows (look there are fantastic 17 year old writers out there, but this ain't one of them).
I don't think Katherine Ewell understands how the forensic process works... You can't just wash away fingerprints with a bit of water. I mean she even says that's fingerprints are oils... but then has Kit wash them away with some water from a hose. And there's never any of Kit's DNA a
Kat (Lost in Neverland)

Kit is seventeen years old. Kit is a murderer. Her mother was a famous serial killer, and has been training Kit since she was a child to murder with brutality and perfection. Kit, after killing her first at age nine, has become known in London as the 'Perfect Killer', leaving no traces or hints.
To Kit, killing isn't an enjoyment or something she does for fun. It's a job, one she simply must do...Well, maybe she enjoys it a little.
When she must kill a girl from her school, she befriends her, an
Caitlin
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I zoomed through this one! Ewell's first-person perspective of a teenage serial killer was weirdly engaging. You find yourself rooting for Kit--sympathizing with her and hoping she doesn't get caught. The fact that Ewell can write this character with such ethos is a strength of her writing style. Kudos!

• Attack of the 50 Foot Wallflower
  • Clique Bait
  • Maybe One Day
  • No One Else Can Have You (No One Else Can Have You #1)
  • Read Bottom Up
  • They All Fall Down
  • Broadway Lights (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #5)
  • The Memory Key
  • Loner
  • Sing
  • This Place Has No Atmosphere
  • The Snow Fell Three Graves Deep
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
  • Alice & Gerald: A Homicidal Love Story
  • Pure Spring (Martin O'Boy, #2)
  • The Justice Project
  • Michigan vs. the Boys
18-year-old author of YA thriller DEAR KILLER, to be published by HarperCollins in April 2014. Stanford freshman, horse lover, avid reader, science and sci-fi lover, girly-girl, geek.