Start by marking “Japan” as Want to Read:
Japan

Japan

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  446 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
The guide that shows you what other travel books only tell you!

The Eyewitness Way To See The World: Over 800 full-color photographs, taken especially for this guide, show you Japan at its best.

Detailed and accurate Street Finder maps give you instant access to each district.

Unique cutaways and floor plans help you explore public buildings and landmarks — no need to purc

Paperback, DK Eyewitness Travel Guides, 416 pages
Published March 18th 2013 by DK Eyewitness Travel (first published July 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Japan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Japan

Creative Choices
Buy this book for the beauty and cultural facts NOT as a travel guide.

I lived in Japan for four years this book would get you lost...lol.

This book is visually pleasing and has some wonderful information about the culture itself (just a note here however, the Japan of Tokyo is NOT the same as the Japan of Amouri or the Japan of Okanowa).

I would recommend this book for those just wanting to have some nice visual references along with a few cultural tidbits then recommend some other Travel Guides
Ann Keller
Filled with stunning photographs and packed with useful information about the major cities of Japan, travel arrangements, customs procedures, currency, sightseeing, rail and car travel, dining and general customs of the Japanese people, this guide is jam packed with essential information for any traveler. Fortunately, the book's small size and light weight make it a perfect addition to your luggage. It's a fantastic resource when navigating the myriad streets of Tokyo or for preparing to go out ...more
Kenny
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Love this book. A right combi of exposition, pictures and maps
Julie Shuff
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I'm learning with my multitude of trips, it really depends what you are looking for in a travel guide. I am going with my school, so our accommodation and activities are already planned for the most part. However, this book offered beautiful photos and cultural tips and recommendations, which helped me to get excited and understand more of the background context.

Compared to the Lonely Planet Guide for Japan that I also got, this one has less recommendations for restaurants, hotels, logistics
Josefine Biskup
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does exactly what it promises: lots of illustrations and pictures. For me it functioned like a map with short summaries about places to give you a first idea of what might be interesting, but no details or much specific history. Broad and superficial, but handy and smart.
cọng rơm
nhờ cuốn này mới biết thần cung ise cứ 20 năm lại dỡ ra xây cái mới y chang cái cũ
xong cảm thí mí bạng nhậc bịnh thậc ._. hên là mình không phải người nhật cũng không sống ở nhật, con tym em quá íu đúi không chiẹu nõi xự xãng phái đến bín thái như vại
Amanda Setasha Hall
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zzz-2017
This book is packed insanely full with a lot of information and cool details. I definitely enjoyed it.
Wayward Child
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed, very thorough and very interesting. Japan is in my top 5 to visit countries and I really hope I get a chance to go there somewhere in the next three years. Though I wouldn`t go without learning Japanese first. I`ve put learning Japanese on hold for now, but I will definitely go back to studying it in the autumn. The history at the beginning of the guide was a bit too much for me and I think they could have omitted that. But, then again, I did study Japanese at college, so the hist ...more
Strangerealms
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tourism
This particular serie of touristic books is called "Voir" or in English "See". And indeed in this book there are tons of photos, plans and it's a very visual book. It talks about every aspects of the country from history, culture, food, customs, geography, etc. It contains as well a few maps of cities and addresses like for restaurants. The book is fully in color with glazed paper, the book is a bit too heavy but at the same time it's not too big, obviously it's the glazed paper that is making i ...more
Jess Neuner
This is one of those travel books designed to get you interested in a place and to help you decide what it is you want to see. It was very useful for that when I was living in Tokyo and planning weekends and breaks. The photos are stunning and make practically everything look really appealing. This book is a good introduction to the country, its culture, its history, and what it has to offer the visitor. If you're looking for detailed information on how to get round to any of these places, you'l ...more
Tawny
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book taught me a lot of things I should have already known about Japan's culture and history. My only complaint is that the writing was microscopic! Favorite lines:
1. "Few nations have extracted so much refined pleasure and sadness from the contemplation of a flower" (17).
2. "This country remains for many an enigma, an unsolved riddle. Westernized, but different from any Western country, part of Asia, but clearly unlike any other Asian society, Japan is a uniquely adaptable place where trad
Patricia
Ne se limite pas seulement aux suggestions touristiques de base mais tente aussi de décrire la culture japonaise et son peuple (ce qui est assez important puisqu'il est si particulier). Le guide est très très instructif en nous faisant découvrir le Japon en profondeur avec de temps en temps des maquettes attrayantes et claires. J'aime bien la séparation des sections (Honshu centre, Honshu Ouest, Honshu Nord, Shikoku, Kyushu et Hokkaido) et les photos pleines pages.
À lire si vous ne voulez pas av
Kay
Although I traveled principally only to Kyoto, this is a good overall introduction to Japan. As with all other Eyewitness Guides, the illustrations are enticing. Simply picking up a volume and thumbing through it will induce a bad case of wanderlust. Having said that, I feel that a novice traveler to Japan should have additional guidance -- this book gives a brief overview of Japanese history and culture but it is by no means a truly adequate one.
Madkropotkin
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I bought it in order to plan my Wife and I's trip to Japan. We found it very useful. It helped us plan our trip before we even stepped foot on Japanese soil and it helped us find and understand things we would see once we were there. Strongly recommend this book and this series of travel books.
Julie
Dec 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series of books, because every page is a glossy picture of illustration. This way, you can better choose what sights you want to see, because you know visually what to expect. Also, for many places it includes an illustrated map, which is helpful for navigating. I used this one while visiting Japan and I used another in the series when visiting the Delhi/Agra/Jaipur area.
Charlie
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because I'm interested in Japan and eye-candy and not because I'm actually planning to go to Japan, so I can't judge this as a useful travel guide. As eye candy though, it's great. And I also like the Eyewitness guides because they have interesting sections on history and customs. I always learn something new.
Mag
A great visual companion to a visit to Japan. Definitely helps to orient oneself spatially there and the illustrations and photographs are quite beautiful. Not much good without very practical Lonely Planet info, though if you're looking for budget accommodation, detailed information on prices, transportation etc.
Phil
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan, travel
Another in the excellent DK Eyewitness series - these give the traveler a great perspective on what they'll see when they get there. Focusing on the top tourist sites, the floor plans of museums and historical sites are better than any detailed written description of the site. Hotel and restaurant info is sketchy, but that's what Frommers and Fodors are for.
Cagla
I really like the book on the historic and scenic info it gave. I had bought it before the big earthquake and the nuclear problems, because we had a ticket to go there (a lifelong dream) and we had to cancel it. Still with this book I had a nice feeling of Japan even without being there. I'll hopefully visit Japan sometime in the future!
Daniel
Apr 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Becky & Todd picked this up for me back when I first announced I was moving over here, and a holiday doesn't go by that I don't pick it up again and use it's amazing resources to plan my trip. The occassion this time? Golden Week, and the fact that Yo-chan and I will be going on our first in-country getaway for over 6 months. Yatta!
Marcia
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I read a newer edition, but even at a couple of years old, it was too dated (pre-2011 earthquake.)
Lot of places of interest, some off the beaten path. Not much detail, though. Good basic information presented in the DK Eyewitness trademark visual style.
Mary
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
great for making plans and when on the go in japan. doesn't cover all the smaller cities (we made a special stop in fukuyama), but overall great for a first-timer. good info about culture tips and other things to know that you wouldn't otherwise think about.
Jennie
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan, travel-books
Great guide book, I found it super helpful. Lots of good cultural information, I can't wait to fill it with sticky notes. There's so much I want to see I'm going to have to plot out every weekend for the next 2 years just to catch of glimpse of my new home.
Shreya
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much better than Lonely planet ! Lived in Japan for couple of years and can say this book covers most of the country's amazing sights. Definitely hooked me on to the Eyewitness series.
Aaron
Sep 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Travelers
This book had loads of useful information for me when I lived there. Also I'd say give it a read if you're planning a trip. The language section was truly helpful for beginners and the drunk. ;p
Brian
Jan 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not nearly as much information for their guides for other countries like Spain and Italy, but still helpful. Good pictures and general cultural information.
Kana
Summary
Virtual Summer in Japan - 2013 School Virtual Reality Project Reading List.
Sammy C
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super cool and helpful!
Don
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-guides
I haven't been to Japan YET, but I still love this as a reference when reading about Japan, or poetry by Basho, etc.
Liz Lloyd
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Japan (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Ireland (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • France
  • Australia
  • Florence & Tuscany
  • The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary
  • Secret journeys of a lifetime : 500 of the world's best hidden travel gems
  • London (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Istanbul (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)