Start by marking “My Best Friend's Girl” as Want to Read:
My Best Friend's Girl

My Best Friend's Girl

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  20,004 ratings  ·  1,132 reviews
How far would you go for the best friend who broke your heart? This internationally bestselling novel tells an enchanting tale of life’s most unpredictable loves and heartaches, and the unforgettable bond between a single woman and an extraordinary five-year-old girl. From the moment they met in college, best friends Adele Brannon and Kamryn Matika thought nothing could co ...more
Published March 25th 2008 by Bantam Discovery (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about My Best Friend's Girl, please sign up.
Becca Shaw Not depressing. Sometimes sad but mostly happy. You go through all sorts of emotions. But mostly happy. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Chick-Lit
2,216 books — 4,702 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books That Made You Cry
1,486 books — 3,318 voters

More lists with this book...

·  20,004 ratings  ·  1,132 reviews

Start your review of My Best Friend's Girl
Maria Elmvang
"My Best Friend's Girl" was a LOT better than I'd expected it to be. I don't know why I wasn't expecting too much of it - I mean, after all I bought it, surely I must have felt it was worth reading? I think my problem is that I'd gotten to the point where I felt good chick-lit is hard to find, and that this one would be as shallow as the rest. Fortunately I was mistaken. I laughed and cried in turn practically from page one. It's an extremely moving story and one that has you guessing right to t ...more
Fiona Caldarevic
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Started out amazing. I cried buckets over the first couple of chapters. Then it turned into a bad soapie, with far-fetched scenarios (the boss decides to spend the weekend at the girl's house because he likes the kid, even though he despises her, because he's got "nothing better to do"? I don't think so!). The main character was annoying and made stupid decisions. Her confusion over whether she loves one guy more than another was also stupid and annoying. I was also left feeling frustrated that ...more
Sharon
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
3.5★

Kamryn Matika and Adele Brannon were best friends that was until, Adele slept with Kamryn's fiance, Nate. If that wasn't bad enough, Kamryn then finds out that, Adele is pregnant with Nate's baby. After finding out all this shocking information, Kamryn decides she wants nothing to do with either of them and it's now time to move on with her own life.

Two years later, Kamryn is all excited about celebrating her birthday and greets the mailman as she knows there will be a few cards for her, but
Cheryl James
July, 20 Bookclub Selection

This book has a great topic which opened up much discussion. However the author did not do a good job of developing the characters nor the story. The story started out very interesting, after the first 30 pages i got bored and i never really got my interest back. How do you write and publish over 400 pages and your not really talking about anything that matters, doesn't seem believable, and leaves so many unanswered questions.

Very disappointed, i wanted this one to be
charlie ☾
"I was laughing and crying from page one." - Adele Parks

This book exceeded my expectations. I fell in love with the blurb and it urged me to buy it but I never thought I could fall in love more than I already am. It was a perfect mix of a heart-warming and gut-wrenching story. I thought I knew how the story would roll and that I would just need to be filled with the little gaps in between but I was wrong. I never even guessed the ending.

Koomson did a perfect job in characterization because t
Johara
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that was recommended by Richard & Judly's Summer read .. and I wasn't disappointed!

Very emotional story of two human beings Kamryn & Tegan, and their journey together toward forgiveness, love, and understanding!

Beautifully written. Cried in some parts, and laughed out loud in other parts.

Highly recommended.
Elisabete
From the moment I finished it I felt that my rating for this book would be very different from the majority of my fellow readers.
I picked up this book from the small library at work, checked the premise, checked the reviews. I thought I'd have a great read but no. It didn't click with me.
The beginning was interesting and the premise seemed to promise a challeging read, in what my feelings were concerned, going through Kamryn and Tegan's new life. Unfortunately, in my opinion, after the major pl
Jacki Ford
Sep 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone!
This book is a fabulous read!!! Very moving - the charachters are so real that you feel for them and their pain.

Its a great story line and sometimes I was thought I knew how it would end but I didn't. I cried lots and laughed a bit too but couldnt put it down and felt like I had lost a friend when it finished.

Would definately recommned.
Ângela
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
Crying was an acceptable outlet, even if it made you feel raw and empty inside, it was still better than that buildup of resentment that grew from not letting your emotions out.”

Heartwarming story, interesting characters, and an amazing end!
Christa
Jul 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
About a quarter of the way through this book, I almost decided not to read the rest of it, which is very unusual for me. I was not finding any of the adult characters likeable, and was not enjoying reading about them. I decided to keep trying to go on, and before long, I finally started to empathize with the characters barely enough to care what became of them. The main character, Kamryn Matika, is given a huge shock when her estranged dying friend, Adele, asks her to raise her child. The two be ...more
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
It takes a special kind of book to bring tears to your eyes - I can count on one hand the amount of books that have made me shed tears in their wake, this being one of the first.

Best friends Adele and Kamryn are inseperable in their formative years; until one makes the terrible decision to sleep with the others fiance. Picking up a few years later, Adele shows up at Kamryn's door begging her to adopt her little girl.

It is easy to see why this novel became so successful, and an international best
Denisa Arsene
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
3,5 stars
This book and its subject are really sensitive: I refer to the fact that a woman has to adopt a little girl whose mother recently died. But here, the story gets a bit tangled. The girl is the daughter of woman's best friend and her ex fiance. And this is what I didn't like: the adults seem a bit unreal, childish, ignorant, stupid even.
The little girl, Tegan, or Tiga, is more mature, intelligent and real than the adults. I know all of them had traumas in their childhood, but they are gr
Becky
Apr 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
The book starts off with an interesting premise- your ex best friend who slept with your fiancee and fathered his child is dying and wants you to adopt her child. I thought this may lead to an interesting soul searching book with her torn between the betrayal and the stark reality of the situation, but no. instead it was a weak story with no character development based in a fantasy world. first of all, Ryn decides just like that, that she will adopt the child. her friend passes away and suddenly ...more
Danderma
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time is the timeless novel “My Best Friend’s Girl” by one of my favorite authors Dorothy Koomson. I have read it over and over as the loveliness of this books is just too overwhelming.

I just adore this book. It is so beautifully written, so realistic, so filled with emotions you would find your self lost in the pages. It’s the kind of book you wish you could lose sleep over so you could finish… it’s the kind of book you could forsace your social life just to flip
Heather L
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I had some big expectations of this book. With all the high ratings and praise it was given, I was thoroughly looking forward to this book. I expected high emotions and a great story, which is what I got. But the execution of the story itself is what disappointed me. I'll tell you why:

At the beginning the interaction of Ryn and Del felt genuine and I enjoyed that. All the way up to Ryn interacting with Tegan was great. But then once Luke and Nate got involved, it was just so over the place. I ju
Jen
Jul 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Next book on the list that I am reading with a friend from work. Just read the first chapter so far, but it seems good.

It wasn't horrible, except the characters all had the morals of back alley cats in heat. After page 238 I just couldn't rad anymore. It wasn't graphic, but the reader knows what happened and it was just plain sad. The premise of the book is that the best friend slept with the main character's fiancee, causing the fiance and main character to break up. Being that was a major plo
Bookphenomena (Micky)
I've just re-read this, having originally read it nearly 10 years ago. I had forgotten much of the detail but I can say this book was like a magnet, I couldn't look away. It is a bittersweet tale of love, grief and relationships. There are a number of sections in this book that pack such an emotional punch, that it takes your breath away and floods your eyes. Koomson has a very inviting writing style; I felt drawn in close to the characters.

Adele is gravely ill and needs to ensure her daughter
Cristina
I enjoyed the first half of the book and I rate it 4.5 stars. It was sensitive, mature and sad.
The second half (which could have been 100 pages shorter) was considerably less enjoyable and poorly written. I'll give it 2.5 stars. It was immature and silly and unfortunately changed the focus (view spoiler)
Carrie
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a surprisingly sweet story. It looks like chicklit, and I think it certainly tried to sell itself as chicklit based on cover copy and design, but evades that genre with more sweetness and depth.

Honestly, I could have done without Kamryn's romantic struggles and would have preferred to see more focus on her growing relationship with Tegan, her adopted daughter.

The book was an overall enjoyable read, but I feel like it broke down at the end and felt false and rushed.
Kim 'BookAddict'
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aww, this book was really cute. For the most part I enjoyed the characters, but sometimes they were a bit annoying. And the relationships forming between some of them felt a bit rushed. Maybe not for them, but Before you knew it several weeks had passed and it was just quickly explained how their relationships had developed over that time rather than being shown. The book was also a Little bit predictable. Overall, I did enjoy it, though.
Dalila.
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is BEAUTIFUL!Brilliant It made me cry, it made me laugh It's a tale of friendship, betrayal, forgiveness and love.The best character in is Tegan the little girl you fall in love with her the minute she appears in the book .This is an excellent book,it is a must read.
Penny Lyman
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Loved the start of this book. Really relateable. The story becomes quite tangled and it's all a bit melodramatic for this reader. Still liked it, but had to reread a few times to keep the thread.
Leonor Sousa
I'm not and never have been a big fan of (adult) romances. If they are young-adult, dark or contemporary I do like them but those "classic" romances have never been much my genre. Nonetheless, one of my big goals is to explore all kinds of literature, so when for the first month of #tryallthereads, the chosen genre was romance, I accepted it as a challenge.
I didn't had any romances on my TBR so I had to borrow the only book my mom owns and that happened to be a romance: My Best Friend's Girl, by
Megan
Nov 23, 2008 rated it liked it
I picked this up in England as a chick-lit-vacation-read. I barely scanned the back of the book before grabbing it, and somehow missed that "best friend's girl" wasn't "best friend's girlfriend" (that, one would assume, the narrative "my" was also after), but rather "best friend's daughter." And that the promised romance (because, after all, the cover was in soft pink and green pastels -- come on!) was not between these two characters.

Do not read this book in public. Especially if you're a woman
Pooja Jeevagan
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I hate this author..seriously, I hate this girl..because as soon as I get her book in my hands, she makes me desperately wish for a weekend...and then on Friday night, this girl keeps me awake till 4 as I try to finish this book...reach the last page...all the while wishing that the book was a little longer...that the ending wasn't so near...after all, an amazing story is going on...I want to keep reading it..

By far, this has topped among the other three I've read by the madam...and though I am
Paula
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have not been a great lover of chick lit - didnt see the point. A book is a book whatever the 'target' market. I discovered this book/author by accident - needed something to tie me over on a long journey, thats where i see chick lit - something to pick up read, doze off, read and not have difficulties in trying to keep with the story line. I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN, and fought the sleep to get it finished. i cried, i laughed out loud and crindged along with the characters.
The characters came boun
Colleen
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, which I would categorize as "meaty" chick lit. The main character is flawed but entirely sympathetic and finds her heart torn between two men, both of whom are good guys but also flawed. All of this occurs in the aftermath of her being asked to adopt her dying friend's daughter, even though the two friends had not spoken for years after a falling out. The plot and characters were compelling and I was driven to finish the whole novel within 24 hours. I enjoyed the ulti ...more
Britta
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, fairly quick read. Too easy, too contrived. I mean, it's fiction, it's obviously contrived, but this felt forced. The author wanted to convey X, so she threw in Y and Z, which or who fit the bill a little too perfectly. It just didn't feel natural, or real. Again, yeah yeah, fiction. But how can I get lost in a world I'm constantly questioning?
Maggie
May 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I started this one one saturday afternoon to unwind. Meant to read a chapter and nod off... Several fantastic hours later I closed the book after the last word on the last page. It was worth every minute of my missed nap and afternoon/evening of chores.
Lucy
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book amazed me. It was worth every minute I spent on it. Koomson tells the story of two women who are trying to adjust to their new lives together. Trough tears and laughter they find way to support each other in the most unexpected way. I love this book and I would recommend it to anyone.
friendship and loss 3 34 Sep 26, 2012 12:35PM
friendship and loss 4 55 Feb 01, 2012 11:40AM

• P.S. I Love You (P.S. I Love You, #1)
  • Be Careful What You Wish For
  • The Nanny
  • Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1)
  • A Lua de Joana
  • Ganhei Uma Vida Quando Te Perdi
  • Don't You Want Me
  • The Perfect Find
  • Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4)
  • Onde Cantam os Grilos
  • As Gémeas de Auschwitz
  • O Rapaz de Bronze
  • Alphabet Weekends
  • Svärmodern
  • The Truth About Melody Browne
  • Once & Then
  • The Chocolate Lovers' Club
  • Mytomanen (Emma Sköld, #8)
Hello, my name's Dorothy Koomson and I'll try to make this bit that's all about me as interesting as possible.
I wrote my first novel called There's A Thin Line Between Love And Hate when I was 13. I used to write a chapter every night then pass it around to my fellow convent school pupils every morning, and they seemed to love it.

I grew up in London and then grew up again in Leeds when I went to u