Start by marking “Mind Trace” as Want to Read:
Mind Trace

Read Excerpt

Mind Trace

What would you do to possess unlimited knowledge and power?

Nineteen year-old Alice McArthur never had a choice. A shy girl from a small town, Alice has gained a reputation for her near-genius programming abilities, even getting the attention of EngineerCorp, a rising electronics empire. With her unique skill-set, she is hand-picked to test their network security by hacking
Published November 16th 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published November 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mind Trace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Trace

Trisha Wladecki
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was wary of the initial premise being too trite to carry the novel, but McCaghren presented the phenomenon in such a way that I was able to accept it and move along with the story. In fact, McCaghren's ability to make the story almost believable is what elevates it above other novels that employ supernatural events. She deftly manipulated incredible circumstances into familiar and believable aspects in such a way that I never pulled back and thought "This is ridiculous", or "that would never h ...more
Cameron
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Originally posted on the blog: What the Cat Read

Talk about a surprising and enjoyable read. While admittedly I had a bit of trouble wrapping my whiskers around a lot of the computer hacking aspect of the book, I found the entire plot to be engaging. It definitely kept me reading long past the point where I should have stopped for the day. There’s a little bit of something for every reader in this one. =^.^=

What stood out the most for me with this book was the dynamic characters. Alice was a grea
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Posted on

First off, this wouldn't be a book I would normally select. Lets be honestly, I'm probably not the target audience for Mind Trace. However, for those who like Sci-Fi and fantasy might actually enjoy this story. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy the book, but I'm not a big Sci-Fi fan. However, every now again I do venture out of the romance section sometimes in the form of a book club read or I didn't really read the book blurb. Oh well, here we go.

So, we have a cast of characters that pla
Ed
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Mind Trace" was an enjoyable story if you can live with the main premise -- that a human can somehow accidentally download everything in a major company's computer network through a short in a cable that she manages to brush against while hacking into the company's network. The protagonist, nineteen year-old Alice, is definitely a computer genius, with both a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree by the time she was eighteen. She receives an email invitation to test EngineerCorp's computer se ...more
Kathy Martin
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Alice McArthur is a computer genius. She graduated from high school at age fourteen and by nineteen had her Bachelor's and Master's in Computer Science. She is working for a small computer tech company in Asheville when she gets in intriguing email. The email is calling for hackers to try to get into a specific server. Alice can't resist a puzzle but has no idea what her hacking will lead to.

While trying to break into the server she has an accident - nearly electrocuting herself on a computer ca
Gwen Nicodemus
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I suspect anyone who was a bright student will identify or want to identify with the main character in this book. And who wouldn't want instantly accessible piles of databases in their head, without degrading other parts of the brain?

That initial premise, while not completely original, was fun.

The plot wasn't terribly complicated. Girl gets stuff she shouldn't have. Bad guys come after her. She works with good guy to try and save herself, and others, from bad guy.

Even so, I read it through and d
Tim Mccaghren
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't often review books I have read (I tend to pass along recommendations by word of mouth), but felt in this case that I should make an exception.

This book has been described as predictable; I would agree, although that isn't a bad thing. It's the same way I felt reading David Weber's Honor Harrington series-- I don't know how, but the heroine will prevail. Alice MacArthur is the same way, and I feel a sense of intense satisfaction as I see her plans take shape and come to fruition.

All said,
Brittany
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was a little skeptical about reading this book at first, just because I normally don't pick up these types of books often, but once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. It really captures your attention and you can really connect to the characters. I've reread it several times since.

For reference, some of my other favorite books include: Ender's Game, The Hunger Games Trilogy, The Harry Potter series, The Blue Sword, The Seer and the Sword, The Last Lecture, The Star Wars books by Tim
Ken Horne
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read, great courageous genius heroine

A very compelling story with a plot that pulled me along and had me finish it in a day. The protagonist is a nice, quiet girl with great intelligence and a comfortable life. Her love of challenges then gets her trapped in the midst of industrial espionage. During this, by accident she activates her entire brain and fills it with knowledge, reminiscent of the premise of Chuck. The only complaint I have is there is much left to do in the this world wi
Bradford S Beadle
My wife isn't happy

It is very rare for me to write a book review. Mind Trace is one of the most exciting, nail bitting, edge of your seat stories I have read in quite a while. I couldn't put it down until I finished it -- thus the reason for my wife's discontent. Please keep the cliffhangers coming.
Jasmyn
Mind Trace is a contemporary science fiction - which can be difficult to do correctly. It's hard to mesh an unheard of "technology" without leaping ahead many years. Holly McCaghren has set the stage perfectly to make it work. It almost has an X-Men like spin on her super-human, super-computer ability. But it has come at quite a cost. The CEO of the company she accidently dumped into her brain is out to find her, and he has the resources to leave no stone unturned.

The beginning of Mind Trace was
Misty Rios
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mind Trace was an excellent story with a well thought out plot. Very suspenseful and exciting throughout. The protagonist used different methods to get herself out of each situation with prevented the story from becoming monotonous. The pacing was excellent but I found that it needed some more word building.
I didn't particularly like the ending...not the way it turned out but it just felt a bit rushed to me. I would have liked to see how things worked out more in depth and through their eyes in
Eleanor
I'm not going to rate this because I didn't finish it. It needs a heavy edit - lots of unnecessary adjectives, adverbs and dialogue tags, stilted dialogue and incorrect word usage. It sounds like a great premise but the writing isn't up to the right standard for a published novel yet.
Christy
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was just too far-fetched for me. A girl develops super-computer type powers and processes zillions of bits of data in seconds. Her computer powers continue to develop throughout the story. A typical "guy saves girl, fall in love, conquer the bad guys" tale with a weird sci-fi element.
Carlos Jr.
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sounds awesome. Definitely would love a copy.
Kim
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
While Mind Trace isn't my usual read (more tekky than Fantasy) it was still a really good read. Holly McCaghren really brings you into the book and makes you feel for her characters.
Toner
Jan 23, 2016
Christine Holliday
Jun 04, 2013
Irish Denosta
rated it did not like it
Dec 12, 2013
Aug 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Protectors: A Blue History Novel
  • Vale of Stars
  • The Northern Star: The Beginning
  • The Living Image
  • Code (Robin Hood Hacker, #3)
  • Songs for a Machine Age
  • Mass Murder (Giorgio Salvatori, #1)
  • Centurion's Daughter
  • Outward Borne - Alien Abduction
  • Time Pullers
  • Made in the Image
  • Virion
  • The Cost of Courage
  • The Cestus Concern (Weir Codex, #1)
  • A Perfect Armenian
  • The Exemeus (The Exemeus, #1)
  • The Star Agency (The Star Agency Chronicles, Book #1)
  • Being a Go-To-Tech: How to Be Both Successful and Happy While Working in the World of Computers
I was born and raised in the Houston, Texas area, and have lived in Texas my whole life! (Gotta love humidity!) I currently live in central Texas with my husband and three children.

Nothing makes me happier than settling down with a good book, but they aren't always easy to find! Some of my favorites (in no particular order) include: Jane Eyre, The Blue Sword, Dracula, Ender's Game, Heir to the Emp