Start by marking “King Kong: The Island of the Skull” as Want to Read:
King Kong: The Island of the Skull

King Kong: The Island of the Skull

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The official prequel novel to the Universal Pictures movie event!KING KONG

Entrepreneur and filmmaker Carl Denham struggles to make a name for himself in the entertainment industry -- but all of his charisma and showmanship may have to take a back seat to the greatest adventure yet to come...

Vaudeville regular and struggling actress Ann Darrow leaves the lights of Broadway
Published November 1st 2005 by Pocket Star Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about King Kong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Kong

Angelo
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Deals with 3 different stories. One story is awesome about a navy diver from San Fran who winds up on the island. The other stories are boring and useless. Plus there is no Kong in the book. You hear of him but not what I was expecting. It leads right into the movie which is cool but I wanted some more story behind King Kong
Angela
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Matthew Costello's The Island of the Skull is billed as the "official prequel" to the storyline of the new Kong movie, so because I really liked that version of the story, I went ahead and picked this book up.

It follows three separate plot threads involving the filmmaker Carl Denham, the young actress Ann Darrow, and the ex-Navy diver Sam Kelly, who was not in the movie (or, for that matter, the original 1933 version), but who turned out to have the most interesting stuff happen to him in this
Keith
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this book. I thought we would at least get a little more background on Skull Island, but, no such luck. We get a little background on the director and the actress, but much of the book deals with a character who doesn't appear in the movie at all. However, ultimately he is the reason Carl Denham knows about Skull Island for filming his movie. Fortunately it was a fast read, so I didn't waste a lot of time on it.
Brandi
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a *lot* of fun. Surprisingly so. I picked it up because I had credit at a bookstore and my daughter likes King Kong. I figured if nothing else I could hold onto it until she was older. And then I read the first sentence. And I was hooked. From the very first sentence, I was hooked. It was a thrilling adventure. *Note: this book is a prequel to the early 2000s movie, not the 2017 movie*
I'm usually not big on movie/tv continuations or prequels in book form, but this was a wonderful w
Peter Wilson
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: king-kong
This book was fan-frikkin tastic! King Kong only made a brief appearance in this book, but it was still awesome. I can't wait to read more by this author. This book got mixed reviews. Probably because old man Kong only showed up for a moment at the end.
Michael Fierce
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: King Kong aficionado's only
I bought this during the Peter Jackson King Kong resurgence craze in 2005 and picked it up before it even hit the shelf. I had heard that Matthew Costello was a good author and since I'm crazy about all things King Kong I couldn't wait to read it. As far as adventures go, it's a pretty decent book. BUT! Where the hell was Kong in this story!?!?!? It's advertised as "King Kong: The Island of the Skull"! - so I ask where's the beef...eh..I mean Kong!? I guess the producers & Kong franchise, du ...more
Dustin
Oct 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Quit at about the half way mark. The book starts by following three characters living three separate lives and so far as I can tell they will never meet and none of them will have anything to do with King Kong or Skull Island.
The first half is amazingly boring, I'd advise you to skip this one.
Jake
May 01, 2012
Grant Lai
Jan 23, 2018
Rob Velasco
Mar 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
It's a quick read. Nothing spectacular!
Jake Brannen