Start by marking “Beer and Groping in Las Vegas” as Want to Read:
Beer and Groping in Las Vegas

Read Excerpt

Beer and Groping in Las Vegas

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Can a djinn and a magic slot machine bring two geeks together?

Riley McGregor is a geek trapped in a Good Ole Boy body and as owner of a microbrewery, smart chicks never look at him twice.

Rejected by a geek who wanted to “trade up,” Mirjam Linna would rather immerse herself in work than be the girlfriend-of-the-moment. Stranded in a Vegas hotel, she makes a wish—a night of
Published December 19th 2012 by Secret Cravings Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Beer and Groping in Las Vegas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beer and Groping in Las Vegas

Coco.V
Jan 12, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon today (1/12/2018)! 💝
Penny Watson
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quick, sexy, fun read. Love the geeky hero and heroine and all the fun pop culture shout-outs. There was A LOT of sex for such a short book--maybe a bit too much for me--but there was also a real sweetness to their connection which I really liked.

Can't go wrong w/ microbeers and Star Wars metaphors. :^)

Grade: B
Malinda
4.5-5 stars

This was a great short story. I really liked both Riley and Mirjam and loved the way they get together. This is the first story I've read by this author and I liked it (obviously) well enough that I will be trying more of her work.

Mirjam is a software developer that lives in Michigan. Mirjam went to Duke University for Political Science and Russian so I'm not sure how she ended up as a software developer but she's in Las Vegas for a work related convention when this story begins. Sinc
Jessi
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would have loved Beer and Groping in Las Vegas for the title alone, but Angela Quarles gave me so much more to love it for. Like an laser of romantic geekiness, Mirjam and Riley's story ricocheted off my funny bone and punched a hole through my heart. It sounds painful, but I promise you, it wasn't.

Mirjam's confidence took a hit when her last relationship ended...five years ago. Now she's a workaholic, too busy to bother with another relationship that might wound her heart. Riley is a geek tra
Scandal (Scandalicious Book Reviews)
Hey guys, read this one yesterday and loved it! I'm a Star Trek geek at heart so the scifi references made the laugh. The sex is really hot, the couple super sweet I just wish the book wasn't so short! I want more!!

I talk about it in my Virtual Coffee Date on the blog today, check it out:

Irayda Moran (Quezada)
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A djinn makes a wonderful connection between Mirjam and Riley. Just one night to let loose and relax between two workaholics. I always knew geeky could be sexy and hot. I just wished there was more groping as per the title. This was a great quick romantic read.
Sophia
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun quick read involving a quirky romance that was set up by a djinn. Short stories and novellas can make me leery of wanting to give them a try because not everyone who writes one understands just how to achieve a good balance of plot, pacing and character development to fit into the page count they have. Fortunately, this author did a great job so I ended up with an enjoyable reading experience that had me reading with a smile on my face and an 'ah' of satisfaction coming from my li ...more
Christi Snow
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
My Review:
This is a wonderful little book. It reads really quickly so it's great for when you need a quick romance fix. The book is about Riley and Mirjam, two attractive people who are really geeks at different conventions in Las Vegas. Mirjam is a computer programmer. Riley owns a beer brewery. They knew each other in high school and were fascinated, but never got the chance to act on anything before Riley moved away before their junior year. They've never been in contact since and in fact, li
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Reviewed for Read Your Writes Book Reviews
www.readyourwrites.blogspot.com

Mirjam Linna is a tired,overworked, co-owner of a software development company. She’s stranded in Las Vegas for an additional night because a blizzard has canceled her flight back home. While sitting in the bar of her hotel, her bartender strikes up a conversation with her, which in turn results in Mirjam pulling the arm of a slot machine, resulting in her doing something she normally wouldn’t do.

Riley McGregor is the owner
Twinsie Talk Angie J
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: angela-q

I received this novel from the author for an honest review of the novella.

OMG I was so excited to read this novella because I am such a Sci-Fi NERD!!!! Firefly, Stargate, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Gallactica, etc......... When I saw the list of Sci-Fi movies, I knew I was gonna love this book. Shiney! Captain Tightpants is my favorite cancelled TV space captain of alllll time!

Ok so this book is sooo fun. It is a quick 46 page ecopy book but it is filled with sarcasm, wit, sexiness and a lot
Gaele
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pink haired bartenders, a slot machine, and sealing wax manage to reunite these two driven, work obsessed people for a chance at love.

Mirjam is wrapping up a conference, and trying to determine just what went wrong with her app functions. All work and no play, she has one night left in Vegas, and the bartender with pink hair has demanded she take a chance on a slot machine. Out pops an envelope, sealed with wax and providing her with details for her blind date.

Riley had a similar experience, a
Meggan Haller
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Phew! I'm just now coming out of the stupor this hilariously nerdy romance plunged me into. I flew through it (its only 40-some pages) charmed by the quirky characters and witty writing. The story has a nice, paranormal set-up, but it takes place very much in the real, albeit peculiar worlds of scifi conventions and Las Vegas. The setting added just enough whimsy for me to escape into the whirlwind romance between Mirjam and Riley. I was hooked. After their steamy date, I couldn't help but want ...more
Courtney
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While I'm not a fan of contemporary romance, or really novellas, I chose to read this book because I love the author's other books (Must love Breeches, Must Love Chainmail, and Steam Me Up, Rawley). And I'm very glad I read this book. The pacing is very fast and you don't delve too deeply into the character backgrounds (alas, the curse of the novella!), but there is more than enough to get a sense of who the hero and heroine are and what makes them tick. I really like their conversation and the ...more
Julie Joyce
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a quirky girl, so when I come upon a quirky author who writes delightfully charming and quirky stories, there is dancing involved. The premise of Beer and Groping is unique, the characters are adorkable, and the geek-culture references sprinkled throughout make my fangirlish heart go all swoony.

'She glommed onto him like white plastic on a Stormtrooper, shamelessly pressing against his body, groping and kissing.' - How can you go wrong when Stormtroopers are referenced during a makeout sess
BBMoreB ~
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
The author built a spectacular, character-centric, story about discovering love {with a little help from a djinn}. This was a sexy, fun, and geeky novella-length read about how a relationship can develop overnight. The author created characters with realistic fears and insecurities – and the impact of having someone love you…for you.

Have you ever read a blurb so intriguing that you disregarded the fact it’s not within your customary genres? That is exactly what happened when I read about Riley
Traci Douglass
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
BEER AND GROPING IN LAS VEGAS, the debut novel by author Angela Quarles, is a delightful story of two people who find each again and fall in love with the help of a mysterious slot machine and a pink-haired matchmaker. The writing is quick and snappy and the story keeps you turning pages until the end. My only complaint is it was too short. I wanted it to go on and on… If your looking for a sharp, funny, sweet story that also gives a nod to some of your favorite geek indulgences, BEER AND GROUPI ...more
Joyce Scarbrough
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a hot little novella that will have you both laughing and breathing a bit heavily from one page to the next. The premise is delightfully different (a couple with a slight history get paired up in Las Vegas thanks to a colorful djinn) and the dialogue is peppered with fun, nerdy references that make the characters real people I'd actually like to know. And I love the way the author debunks the ridiculously prevailing myth that smart people aren't sexy. The brain is the most sensual part o ...more
Jess Schira
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-challenge, 2015
Oh sure, I sat down and wrote a review and Goodreads ate it. What's up with that! Sadly, that means the rewritten review will have to be short and sweet. I don't have time for anything else right now.

I loved this book. It's a quick, slice-of-life book that made me laugh. It features two extremely likeable characters who share an unexpected past. A very wise Jinn. Some hot sex. Fluid writing. And lots and lots of references to some fantastic shows.

Cheryl
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, sexy, and hott! Realistic and specific sensory details, an original plot. Only once before have I ever read a story where I felt that the main characters were really meant to be together and were, to be cliche, star-crossed lovers. I love this couple; they were perfect for one another! I left the book wanting more. I hope we can either see more from this cute couple or from the mysterious djinn. :)
Stephanie Lawton
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a completely adorable, geek-tastic read from fellow Mobilian Angela Quarles. Quirky and well-crafted, Quarles obviously knows the ins and outs of geekdom and puts a refreshing, intelligent twist on romance. Definitely looking forward to more from this strong debut writer.
Eileen
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fun, steamy story with just enough geekiness thrown in to make it interesting. You don't need to be a geek to enjoy this story but catching all of Quarles' references is an enjoyable part of the book, too. It's not very long so check it out sometime when you're looking for a quick read.
Tricia Skinner
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, pnr-uf
Okay, this was a very fun story. Angela Quarles hit all my geek points without making me squirm. She doesn't poke fun at being nerdy. In fact, she celebrates pop culture with this novella. The characters are wonderful and I enjoyed this book to the last page.
Kate Meader
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Super cute, super fast read with hot, geeky smexing. Lots of fun with nerdy references from Monty Python to Firefly and all points in between. Great debut!
Linda Morris
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you appreciate a sexy, funny story of love between geeks, you'll love it. All that, and djinns in Vegas, too.
J.R.
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time publishing from a hot new up-and-coming author. It's a short story so I'll keep this simple: Firefly, DragonCon, and gettin' it on... what's not to love!
Margaret
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
A fun read! Loved the pop culture references throughout. Riley was adorkable!
Donna Cummings
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Such a fun read -- Riley was an adorable hero, and it was a delightful mix of magic, and geekish pleasures, and sexy romance.
Marlene
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Originally published as a trio review at Book Lovers Inc.

Our Thoughts:

Cass: (Pre-Read Impressions) They DARE invoke Firefly?! Ballsy. Taking Firefly’s name in vain can lead to hordes of angry Browncoats. The devastation would be unspeakable.

Marlene: Unfortunately, most of us geeks know that Syfy doesn’t broadcast much real Sci-Fi any more. Which should have clued me in that this wasn’t going to be quite what I thought it was.

Jackie: I was afraid that my lack of recent exposure to anything scifi,
Linda
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
👍What are the chances for a blind date, arranged as if by magic, to hit it out of the park!
January 10, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
💜🔥Cute young professionals chance meeting romance with heaps of steam and a bit of magic! Miriam is a bit insecure about her appeal to men; Riley is a bit of a nerd, but together for a night they are dynamite! It's a short tale but packs a lot in. Makes me interested in what the author would achieve in a longer story.:-)
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
An avid reader herself, Angela Quarles writes books she'd like to read--laugh-out-loud, smart romances that suck you into her worlds and won't let you go until you reach The End.

~Newsletter: http://bit.ly/1sde3Qi
~Facebook: http://on.fb.me/VMFT3L
~Twitter: http://bit.ly/Se5gQ0
~Website: http://bit.ly/VMFK00
~Blog: http://bit.ly/WkQbXG
~Amazon: http://bit.ly/AngelaQuarles
~BookBub:: http://bit.ly/2xVWY
“Wham. She glommed onto him like white plastic on a Stormtrooper, shamelessly pressing against his body, groping and kissing.” 1 likes