Start by marking “My Man Godric” as Want to Read:
My Man Godric

My Man Godric

Bertie is just the king's foolish, poetry loving, sometimes crossdressing brother. useless in times of crisis, or so he tells himself. He is completely beneath the notice of someone like the country's most famous general, Godric of the South. It's too bad that he happens to be in love with Godric... and that with the entire country at stake, Bertie might be the only one ...more
Published November 27th 2012 by R. Cooper (first published November 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My Man Godric, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Man Godric

Start your review of My Man Godric
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I'm in the minority here, but this was me while reading this story:

I really enjoyed R. Cooper's

Checking Out Love by R. Cooper

But I found My Man Godric muddled and disjointed.

I am all for world building, but there were far too many random details about war, battles, festivals, customs, far-off places, etc., for such a short story. None of it added up to a big-picture.

The narrative was jarring and jumpy, and there were so many flashbacks, I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on.

The king's effeminate,
Vio
I was hesitant to read My Man Godric because of the previous book I read from the author, she has a complex and demanding writing style that takes a bit of getting used to. What won me over was the title, I was getting it mixed up with the movie "My Man Godfrey" a great screwball comedy from the 1930's. I couldn't get it out of my head.

Lucky for me this was terrific and even more so, Bernie who is gloriously characterized throughout, emotions, insecurities and thoughts are wonderful.
Sofia
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sofia by: Meep

How we see ourselves is not how others see us.

Step by step, slow unfolding of a relationship begun years ago. Little by little we get to see the depth and strength of their love and witness another milestone in their relationship.

Cooper does not disappoint.

Dee
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 fabulous stars

There was something about this short story that just did it for me. It was poetic and epic and lyrical - just beautifully written and lovely. I feel like I was reading high fantasy complete with prose but with the yummmy bonus of man sex! It was just terrific. Bertie was adorable, vulnerable and yet strong and so honest in his feelings it made my heart hurt. And who doesn't love a soft silky dress right? I don't know if the fact that I'm a fantasy fan made me love this more but
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
"My Man Godric" is a quirky fantasy novel that takes place in a world where a cross-dressing lord is considered to be off-beat yet adorable and homosexuality is a non-issue. Though this novella was written very well, I just couldn't get into the story like I wanted to. For the length of the story, much of it was talk of war and such and I found myself zoning out at times. I can see why people really like this one but it wasn't a home-run for me.
Meep
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this short quirky read. It's not heavy on history or detail but introduces the delightfully individual Bertie, his taciturn love Godric, and a cute little kitten besides.

The writing style may throw some people off but it worked for me, a little chaotic as suits the character and just enough background to give providence and set the scene.

Bertie is often seen as foolish and believes it of himself, it was a delight to see his true worth revealed by Godric. A brave and loving heart.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
4.4*

I absolutely adored the author's book http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16... , so when I saw this one, and another Bertie, I jumped right on it.
This one is different but also a very lovely story.
Bertie is the bastard son of the dead King and brother to the current King, a bit of a dreamer and definitely considered odd at court, which is fine with him, except he keeps embarrassing Godric , the man he is totally and unabashedly in love with. He does wish he could stop doing that, but he is
Amy Cousins
I really, really enjoy the way R. Cooper writes. She trusts me, the reader, and it shows in her writing here, as it did in her lovely Play It Again, Charlie, which I read last year. There is no beating you over the head with something in Cooper’s writing. Instead, there is a lot of what I think of as “writing on the slant”. Hints and descriptions that expect you to interpret and pick up on things. I remember reading reviews of Play It Again, Charlie from people who didn't like it because they ...more
Paris
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, favourite-m-m, kindle
Again, well done!
This is a short story but it covers a long period of time. Bertie will take you on a journey that will make you smile, tremble, worry, cry and eventually love.
So far I've read 3 books by this author: A Boy and His Dragon by R. Cooper , Let There Be Light by R. Cooper and this one. Each book was written from one character POV. There are no unnecessary characters that usually flood stories. Basically there are two people. And in all 3 books they are different. This is a big deal for romance fiction, because we often read about the same
Sherry
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was ok

Choppy and disjointed writing that leaves you still not knowing what the hell happened. But it's an interesting idea so rated it higher than I would have normally.
Mel
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-historical
The Green Men had first come decades ago, arriving on their strange boats in small groups at first and then larger when they found the land to their liking. No one knew why they persisted in making their way down from the frozen lands in the High North across the Easterns Seas or why they chose war over trade.

In this time of war, My Man Godric tells the love story of Bertie, Aethelberg of Clas Draigoch, the king’s illetimate half-brother, the princeling with love of needlework and feminie
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
There are very few novellas about a simple-minded cross-dressing Saxon bastard prince hopelessly in love with a successful war hero. This is one of them. And it's OK.
Dea
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A lovely story by a great author. It's difficult to find short stories that deserve five stars but this one if definitely one of them :)
Pjm12
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gosh I loved this. Bertie is exquisitely described. His thoughts and his open adoration for his sweetheart are captured so divinely.

Look, it's short, so boo, but every word counts, so yay.

Kathleen
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Small but perfectly formed. If only there was more...
Relly
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, b-2018-read
Re read - April 2018
Increased the rating on this one to 3.75 stars
There is just something about this one I really enjoy

Cute little short story

This one is cute short story.
I love Bertie, he is so much fun. I loved his honesty and open affection for Godric, and also his desire not to embarrass Godric. I also liked Godric and his stoic personality but hidden affection for Bertie
Ilona
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
For a short story this had a lot of character and interaction and I really fell for Bertie and his dresses. He was so adorable in his beliefs about how useless he was and Godric was excellently portrayed as the man who saw Bertie for what he is and calls him ‘My Lord’ out of respect. Overall the only thing wrong with this story was it wasn’t long enough for me. I hope the author decides to write a longer version soon.
Lily
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh how I wish this one could be much much longer! Beautifully emotional, a focused and not rushed plot, the right amount of world building without it becoming overwhelming, two lovely characters - each in their different ways... Definitely recommended.
Relly
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little short story

This one is cute short story.
Emmie
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, free
I reread this story and bumped it up to a five. it just leaves such a great after effect. I like the dynamic between the two leads very much.
Qwurty
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yes
Carrie
Needed to be padded out a bit. We're thrown into the middle of the war and the relationship and are served a few flashbacks that tended to confuse more than inform. Like what was Godric's relationship with the king (or Bertie's relationship with the king, the king never appears on page). Last chapter:(view spoiler)

That
Shelby
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a bit hard for me to follow. At first, I contributed that to the fact that it was 3am. But, when I finished the second half in the morning, I realized that it wasn't my sleep-deprived mind that was making things random and all over the place, it's that it was random and all over the place. I was confused as to why Bertie stayed behind in the first place, why and where he was going the second time, whether I was reading events in the past or present, who the Green Men were. I feel like ...more
Omega696
That was... confusing. There's really not much story there and not enough character building either to care about either Bertie or Godric. It had potential but the chaotic writting and endless descriptions of fabrics almost made me drop it. Only because it's a really short story did I even finish it.
Adele Steiner
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This is clearly an early piece by this author & I am glad that they've improved since this. As others have said this was very muddled & jarring. Incoherent & hard to follow at times. I've read & love R. Copper's newer works, but this is lacking. I get the overall intent & sentiment, so it's an okay read just not on par with other stories.
Rhode
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Lots of people love this and that's great.

Too much of a fantasy, as in the author's fantasy, for me. The world building is generic historic-euro-fantasy. And the point is hammered in a bit too obviously, although the hero takes forever to see it.
Gemma
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short and sweetly full of longing. It takes a good writer to make you care about their characters so quickly.

The setting is a fictional medieval world in which class and bloodlines are important, but same-sex attraction/sex and cross-dressing don't raise an eyebrow.
Rennegade Hunter
Sweet, short read. I'm only sad that it's so short, since there's enough material to make this an epic novel.
DFZ
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute, but quite a few typos. I’d like to see a longer story with stronger editing.

• Earth Fathers Are Weird
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • The King's Dragon (Fire and Valor #1)
  • The Toymaker's Hoard (Trice City Lovers #2)
  • Mr. Right Now
  • Footsteps in the Dark
  • I Buried a Witch (Bedknobs and Broomsticks #2)
  • Runescribe
  • Demonica
  • Blackbird in the Reeds (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #1)
  • Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings, #1)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound #3)
  • Expeditions, Estimation, and Other Dangerous Pastimes (Claimings, #4)
  • A Trilogy of Knights
  • Lord Seabolt
  • Godfrey and the Detective (Blood Moon Vampires, #1)
  • The Mage on the Hill (The Web of Arcana #1)
  • Hold Still (Natures in Harmony)
I'm a somewhat absentminded, often distracted, writer of queer romance. I'm probably most known for the Being(s) in Love series and the occasional story about witches or firefighters in love. Also known as, "Ah, yes, the one with the dragons."

Feel free to friend me on Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr.

Twitter: @rispacooper