Start by marking “The Reluctant King (Star-Crossed, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant King (Star-Crossed, #5)

The Reluctant King

(Star-Crossed #5)

Avalon St. Andrews has endured Hell and war in an attempt to secure freedom and immortality for his people. Raised and conditioned to be both warrior and leader, he now sits on a throne with his sister Eden, governing the Kingdom in peace. While his people enjoy the benefits of his struggle and loss, he is restless, bored and alone.

Avalon is summoned to fight to save his
Published December 14th 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published December 5th 2012)

Alaina
SO FREAKING GOOD!

I definitely flew through this audio and I also enjoyed the heck out of it. I loved getting to know more about Avalon and this book is probably my favorite out of the whole series (so far).

The Reluctant King is again about Avalon, Eden's twin brother. Throughout the book we read (or listen) to his struggles about being a king and falling in love. Now the romance part of this book definitely felt like it was shoved in my face. I feel like it was just being pushed on me (and them
DKristin
Just saw on fb that Rachel Higginson is writing Jericho's story...

photo vogue-temper-tantrum-1-o.gif

SO EXCITED!!!!!

It totally reminded me that I have this on my Kindle and just have not found time to get to it yet. I am going to be rectifying that hopefully next weekend!!!! I wish I had time to re-read the entire series I sure do miss Kiran!!! :D
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ah, we finally get Avalon's POV in this installment of the series. He and the Resistance have defeated the evil king, Lucan, but the magical community still wanted a monarchy and elected Avalon and Eden. Eden and Kiran are off on their extended honeymoon, so running the kingdom falls to Avalon and he is more than frustrated by the position. He is bored with some of the inane decisions he has to make, that is until a real threat surfaces that could mean the end to the freedom he fought so hard to ...more
Charlotte Lynn
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Avalon and Eden have defeated Lucan and are now ruling their people with freedom and peace. Eden is happily married to Kiran and just returning from a two year honeymoon. Avalon is use to being a warrior and leader and is bored and lonely.

When the kingdom is threatened, Avalon is called to fight to save his people. When he meets Amelia, who is in his every thought and causing him to lose control of his own world, he realized he isn’t lonely anymore.
The Reluctant King is written from Avalon’s poi
Cinthia
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**✿❀  Maki ❀✿**
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the start of a whole new Star-Crossed series. While I'm happy that the story is continuing (and told from Avalon's perspective now), it means I've got to start waiting on new books to come out. Nooooo!

It's a nice change having this story focus on Avalon. He's more mature than Eden is, and it's fun following his thought process, and learning more about him. He was a bit glazed over in the first four books. Eden spent her time either ignoring him, or they were captured, so there wasn't rea
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the other books. It's nice seeing things through Avalon's perspective, but the romance seemed to be the focus of the book. The romance also a too cheesy and went a little too quickly for me. (view spoiler). Still, I liked seeing the characters again and the rebellion was interesting (though I wish there was more focus on this). I will be continuing the series.
Chu
Apr 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-finished, kindle
he is bored and so he is boring us.
Devin
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Cynthia Shedd
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The wonder you forgot

An evil has reappeared and Avalon and his friends are once again fighting for their kingdom. But Avalon will be fighting for a lot more than that when the beautiful cousin of his brother-in-law shows up!
Annie
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book and the entire series. even though the first one is free on the kindle, they were just as good or better than many of the books I have paid for! This was one of my favorites and I definitely would recommend this to pretty much anyone who likes romance,action or rebellion, along with pretty much everyone else. It is really neat to see everything from Avalons point of view. while reading the first books I always wondered when he would eventually fall in love and it was ...more
Haley Keller
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've gone on and on before about how in love I am with the Star-Crossed series. This is the fifth book in that series, and the main character is now Avalon (the twin brother of Eden, the main character of the first four books). This was still definitely a Star-Crossed book, but having Avalon as a main character made it a bit different as well. I absolutely loved it.

I'm not going to lie, I kind of missed having Eden as a main character because I absolutely love her, but I also love Avalon and lov
Me-an
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
What the f-!

First, I didn't know that this book existed at all. Second, I thought this book is considered one-time big-time but no..there's a next book. Third, my guess was right! Amelia is the one for Avalon. :)

Unlike Kiran and Eden, these two had a love story that's three years in the making at least for Amelia. At least the moment Avalon got involved, everything happened in a matter of days. It's just sad that they had to rush everything. All because of the extreme circumstances that's a matt
Pottermnm Montse
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ohhhh this is so great, one story just ended and a new one begins where the other one left off, this time from Avalon's point of view.It's so cool when you get new stories, with characters you already love...I love authors who understand this....Jo Rowling, you should understand THIS ! Anywho, this story is as good as the others, maybe a bit more on the romance side, but since its from Avalon, you enjoy it quite too much.I dunno, people complain too much happens too fast, I did not mind that, it ...more
Suzuk1girl
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
This books starts off where Kiran and Eden get married and live happily ever after.

It switches from Eden's POV to her brother Avalon. It didnt work for me and I couldn't get into the story.

The star crossed series is one of my favorites but this book just wasn't right. The style of writing did not flow like the others.

In the end they don't even get the bad guy and Lilly gets captured... Then it ends :-/ I guess it's a opening for another book and I hope it goes back to Eden's POV.
Trish Nguyen
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I must say that this series really grows on you. The first couple of books were good. But the more I've read the more I learn to love all of the characters and understand the first couple of books better.

Rachel Higginson really does have a way to make you enjoy the background characters as well as the main characters. (One of the reasons why I love this series.)

Elisa
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I did think this book ended a bit abruptly. Especially considering the length of the previous books. There were so many things left unresolved. That being said,I alway enjoy reading about Eden and Avalon and the world they inhabit. I can't wait for book 6.
Mgray
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Story told by Avalon after he earned the crown. This is his POV about love, ruling and being too cool. Again we are left hanging. Luckily the next book is coming soon.
Angi
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I wish this book had focused less on the love story. I am so curious about Terletov and his experiments, but I feel like that was just given a back seat.
Lenore Kosinski

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW:
4 stars — I remember loving Avalon’s book, and while I still enjoyed it immensely (just like every book in this series), I found that while listening to it, I noticed a lot more repetition, and the plot has a hard time moving forward at times. I feel like Avalon and Amelia have the same conversations and the same back and forth multiple times, and I had a harder time fully buying into their love. I totally believed that they could make it
Jess
Oct 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
What the hell did I just read?

I know the first few books were told from a different characters viewpoint, but Avalon was still strong, controlled and a great leader in his own right in those. But then we get to this book and Avalon seems to actually be a whiny, wishy washy, petulant child.

I dont want to be king I hate it Im bored, when are they getting back from their honeymoon so I dont have to deal with this anymore, I dont want to be set up with women I just want to focus on leading, I miss
Marie
Feb 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really didn't enjoy reading this book. Now that Avalon is the POV character, he suddenly becomes as whiny and annoying as Eden was in the previous books. And Eden is presented in a much more idealized way. Avalon is sexist, and I thought that was going to be a part of his character arc where he learns a lesson, but instead it's not really addressed aside from him having one supportive moment of his love interest before he goes back to his old ways, like the patronizing "she's so cute when she' ...more
Mariela
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!!!!! I have to say it may be my favorite so far from the series!! I fell for Avalon in the first book and I wanted to know more about him and I was not disappointed! He’s such a loving brother and passionate lover. How he loves his people and his sense of humor I was cracking up!!!! I truly loved this book 📖 he became a great king alongside his sister as kiran. I hope you all check this out because it’s great!!!
Lisa Fay
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked it. Yes, it is different than the first 4 books in the series. It has a completely different POV, and I found it refreshing. When I read a few of the reviews I was a little worried because that was the chief complaint of the low rating reviews, but I liked it. Give it a try, just know that it is going to be different with the male POV of her twin. I think it keeps the series from being redundant.
Tiffany Clark
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alexandra
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
I just started to read the book after finishing the fourth one. Until now I really like it. It's easy to read, funny and I really love how the author mingled the present story with events after the death of Lucan.
Just one thing: I do know that Romanian is a difficult language, but some words should have been checked before. They are written very wrong.
I'll be back with the final review
Coryann
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn’t fall as hard for this book in comparison to the others in this series. I was a little disappointed that this book didn’t follow Eden. However it was interesting to read from Avalon’s perspective. Naturally it’s left with a little bit of a cliffhanger so I’m curious to see where they go next.
Alisha
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
More language in this one because of Avalon’s personality, but still enjoyed getting to see him and Amelia more in this one. Still lots of suspense to keep me wanting to pick it up and read nonstop. Moving right along to #6, so I don’t keep myself waiting!!!

Romance: clean
Kian
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
He fought to be a King and yet he now complains... and how slow do you have to be to not know Eden could be pregnant when she feels nausea, also I felt the main characters are not matured enough for people who went through a war and lost people they loved, however I do not regret reading it.
Brandy Price
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wrapped up

I feel like this book really wrapped up the series. I don’t feel the need to continue reading books about sub characters. Thanks for 5 good books but it is time to love on.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Drifting (The Velesi Trilogy, #2)
  • Catalyst (Collide, #3)
  • Forgotten Souls (The Saving Angels, #2)
  • Seeking Havok
  • Awaken (Daughters of the Sea, #2)
  • Rogue Wave (The Water Keepers, #2)
  • Ransom (Redemption, #2)
  • United Eden (Eden Trilogy, #3)
  • Wings of Tavea (Solus, #2)
  • Madly & the Jackal (Madly, #3)
  • Senior Week Fling (Summer Love Book 1)
  • Soul of Flame (Imdalind, #4)
  • Chevalier (Ondine Quartet, #2.2)
  • The Dark Rising (Of Witches and Warlocks, #4)
  • Blood Bond (Dirty Blood, #3)
  • Retribution (Mystic, #4)
  • Shades of Blood (Warriors of Ankh, #3)
Rachel Higginson is the best-selling author of The Five Stages of Falling in Love, Every Wrong Reason, Bet on Us and The Star-Crossed Series.

She was born and raised in Nebraska, and spent her college years traveling the world. She fell in love with Eastern Europe, Paris, Indian Food and the beautiful beaches of Sri Lanka, but came back home to marry her high school sweetheart. Now she spends her d

Star-Crossed (7 books)
  • Reckless Magic (Star-Crossed, #1)
  • Hopeless Magic (Star-Crossed, #2)
  • Fearless Magic (Star-Crossed, #3)
  • Endless Magic (Star-Crossed, #4)
  • The Relentless Warrior (Star-Crossed, #6)
  • The Redeemable Prince (Star-Crossed, #7)
“Eternity is only forever with your love.” 2 likes
“You’re not safe. Not anymore. Three years of peace, but they’ve been plotting and it’s your head they want next.” 0 likes