Start by marking “Chronicle of the Mound Builders” as Want to Read:
Chronicle of the Mound Builders

Chronicle of the Mound Builders

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Archaeologist Dr. Angela Hunter discovers an ancient codex at a Mississippian Indian dig site in the St. Louis area. Knowing the Mississippians, or Mound Builders, had no written language, she is determined to solve the mystery of the 700-year-old, perfectly preserved codex.

In the early 1300’s, an Aztec family is torn apart. A judge rebelling against the Aztec tradition of
Published October 29th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Chronicle of the Mound Builders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chronicle of the Mound Builders

Erin
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I wasn’t sure what to expect from this one, the native cultures of the Americas being a little outside my regular stomping grounds, but Elle Marie managed to surprise me. Part history, part mystery, with just a touch of fantasy, Chronicle of the Mound Builders is a truly unique piece.

Not being at all familiar with the culture on which the story relies or even the locations in which it takes place, I was worried I would quick
Vicki Lesage
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First off, I have to disclose that I'm the book's editor. But that doesn't change the fact that I absolutely love the book! In fact, I wouldn't have agreed to edit it (and hence read it no less than 5 times) if I didn't find it fascinating. The story is a fun read for anyone who enjoys action and adventure with a little romance thrown in. And you might actually learn a thing or two about the Aztecs, the Mound Builders/Mississippian Indians, and archaeology in general, but that doesn't take any o ...more
Marie Vareille
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book. A bit of adventure, historical facts and magic mixed altogether !
Rita McDowell
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining Read.

Well written and very entertaining. While the switching from modern day time frame back to the story centuries before started out being confusing it finally began to add to the story and keep your attention and keep you reading till the very end. Having said that, perhaps a sequel??
Linda
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story!

Combination of facts and fiction, makes this a fantastic book! I've been to the Cabin is Mounds, and climbed to the top of Monks Mound! This story sings up into your head and embeds it into your heart! Read it!
Kathryn Drake
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aztec Curse

Interesting, very interesting. Yes, I would recommend this to anyone interested in Aztec and Native American lives, customs, and beliefs. Wonderful book, a true page turner!
Bernice
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SLOW BUT WORTH STAYING TO THE END.

It was hard following the story at first because it jumped from history to the present. But the storyline was so strong i couldn't put it down. I will read more by this author.

Peggy Geiger
Excerpt from the book:

Tizaapan, Mexica, Summer 1330 A.D.

"No woman could look more beautiful than you do today. Your groom will be very pleased. Patli was a bit envious of her younger sister."

"Ilancueitl was finally ready. The emperor's servants helped her into a litter and carried her onto the main avenue of Tizaapan. As the procession slowly made its way to the temple, crowds gathered. She felt all eyes on her, admiring her beauty and finery."

"At the foot of the pyramid, Ilancueitl stepped dow
Patty
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is really three stories in one; the circle around each other all coming together at the end. Angela Hunter is an archeologist working on a dig at one of the sites of the Mound Builders - early settlers on the Mississippi. They are known for the huge mounds they left behind; many were destroyed to make way for development and many just disappeared but some have been preserved. While digging on a separate site an intact pottery jar is found with a strange "birdman" on the side. When it i ...more
Nash Norden
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
I received a copy of Chronicle of the Mound Builders by Elle Marie from CLP Blog Tours as part of the blog tour.

Chronicle of the Mound Builders by Elle Marie was able to grab my attention from the very beginning. I later found out that two stories were told in the book. The first one was about Dr. Angela Hunter who found the codex in the sealed jar, and the other one was about Chipahua and his son, Tototl, who escaped from his enemy after his wife and daughter was murdered before his eyes as par
Star
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Angela Hunter is an archaeologist working on a dig in the Cahokia Mounds. When a beautiful jar with a birdman etched on it is found, Angela is given the jar to date and open. When she and her father, fellow archaeologist Peter Hunter, open the jar they find a codex. The codex, as Angela learns when she is translating it, is the story of an Aztec family who had to endure much to stop an evil so great it decimated an entire civilization. Yet, there are forces at work which strive to stop Angela as ...more
Nancy
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A team of archaeologists finds a jar in middle Missouri, home of the Mississippian culture (aka the Mound Builders). Despite dreams that it might not be a good plan, Angela Hunter and her father, Peter, open the jar and find a talisman and a codex written primarily in pictographs.
There are many people who want to get this codex for themselves or their ancestors but only one will prevail. Two tales are told here although both endings are the same. A tale of Angela, her teams of researchers and th
Emma
I am again grateful to Amy for inviting me to host a post on this tour, as this was a wonderful opportunity to read another historical fiction, and yet a very original one. It is indeed rare to read a historical novel on Native Americans.

I was fascinated from the start by Chronicle of the Mound Builders. On a background of local jealousy and intrigues between authorities, archeologists and scholars, and precious information secretly held by contemporary Native Americans, young archeologist Angel
Ceh131973
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
[Chronicle of the Mound Builders] by [Elle Marie] is a fast paced, thought provoking ride. The tie between the past and the present using a female archaeologist as one of the main protagonists is a different take on a mystery.

As someone who if familiar with the Cahokia Mounds and the mystery that surrounds them I personally found the plot of this story intriguing. The characters were believable even in some of the more fantastic elements. It all fit together.

I could have done without the sex sc
Faith Hignight
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
What can I say about this book. If I were guessing, I would say two people wrote this book. While the story if the 14th century Mexica's is well developed with deeply flushed out characters, the 21st century story is shallow, stereotypical and had one dimensional characters doing boilerplate things with boilerplate dialogue. Very disappointing.
Shannon
Jul 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
I have no idea how to classify this book, i.e. what genre it would fall under.

I did finish it but just barely. I didn't enjoy the writing, the characters or the plot particularly.

Hard to write a review when it just didn't appeal.
cheryl carter
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read!

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I loved the archeology meets demon. In most cultures myths have a grain of truth at their base. Hope there is a sequel!
Dave Schey
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I'm a sucker for books in which the main character is an archaeologist. This book had a nice setting for the story but there was to much evil monster syndrome in it for me.
Becky Mcknight
Mar 14, 2013
Susie O'Larick
Jul 15, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Chronicle of the Mound Builders is my first novel, written under the pen name of Elle Marie. It was inspired by the discovery of a Mound Builders village in my hometown of Chesterfield, Missouri, which added to the mystery of the ancient civilization and its disappearance. This book offers an imaginative narrative of what might have actually happened to destroy the prosperous community.

My nonficti