Start by marking “The Color of Greed (Raja Williams #1)” as Want to Read:
The Color of Greed (Raja Williams #1)

The Color of Greed (Raja Williams #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  204 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
What do a private detective, a hacker and an assassin have in common? The desire to help when justice needs a hand.

Neither the dark, tragic anti-hero nor the James Bond super-hero type, Raja is a wealthy Oxford-educated PI of mixed Caribbean descent who possesses a strong empathic power and a sixth sense for evil that gives him headaches and steers him straight into troub
Published July 23rd 2012 by Crackerjack Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Greed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color of Greed

Tulay
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyed reading this book.

Like spending time with these characters, thrill, mystery, suspense and humor are all in this book. Rich PI always wants to help people with his talented hacker, all the technology on her fingertips. Kept me guessing all the way to the last chapter. 15 rules Raja uses should be practiced by everyone.
August Is Azathoth The Haunted Reading Room
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to August Is Azathoth by: Jack Thompson
Review of The Color of Greed
Raja Williams is not the routine private investigator. Of Caribbean background, he is very wealthy, yet unassuming, an individual of real moral integrity and backbone. His business partner Vinny is a former hacker-turned NSA employee-turned hacker again, who can make any computer or database tap dance on the head of a pin, and find out anything there is to be known. The two of them function well as individuals, but as a team are unbeatable; and Raja has other “team me
Mandy
I received this book in return for a honest review from the author Jack Thompson. The book is about Raja Williams a private investigator who doesn't charge his clients but asks them to pay it forward. He has his own private plane, drives Ferrari's and has a partner who is one of the best hackers out there who happens to look like a super model.

Raja gets called to L.A. to find out what happened to a grieving widow's younger husband who's murdered on his yacht. Once he starts to unravel the murde
Nancy Silk
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first detective story I've read by Jack Thompson. It reminds me of the old time radio shows where the private detective comes to the aid of a woman; in this case, a recent widow. The author doesn't waste any words and neither does a good detective put his feet up on his desk. It's time for action, and that is what the novel offers. Detective Raja Williams speeds to the west coast at the call of new client, Clarice Hope. Her husband, Randy, had been found dead on the topside of his ya ...more
Critique de Book
What I liked: “Wow” is all I can say. The name of this book fits perfectly - it was a story about greed – greed – greed. I loved the characters. They came alive for me, most especially Raja and Vinny. Their struggles touched me. The story flowed easily – like water - and was so riveting that I was unable to put it down. I read to escape, and this book was packed full of everything you would expect a mystery to be and then some more. A great read and look forward to reading more.

What I didn’t li
Shirley
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good mystery that features a lead character that has an attitude and this one fits the profile. Another character type I like is the computer" geek"and ergo this book has met two of my favorite prerequisites. Looking forward to reading more from this author
Mike French
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable page turner! I am looking to the next Raja Williams book.
Julie
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When private investigator Raja Williams receives a call from Clarice Hope, who insists that her husband Randy was murdered, he decides to fly out to California and take on the case. The police declared Randy's death an accident, but it doesn't take long for Raja to believe that he was indeed murdered. With help from his partner and hacker, Vinny, Raja works to uncover what really happened.

The Color of Greed by Jack Thompson is a fun mystery with an old-fashioned feel to it. It reminded me of the
Sharon Michael
With a bit of an old-fashioned tone to the storyline. The very rich, well-dressed main character reminded me vaguely of an early favorite of mine, Del Shannon's LAPD Lt. Mendoza, updated in this case by a quirky hacker partner.

Standard plotline, with private detective coming to the aid of a distressed widow. The political situation, which has apparently triggered a series of murders, brings this mystery into a very modern storyline. Interesting twists make this an entertaining, quick read.

My onl
Joyce
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great plot and fast paced. My only dislike was that there wee times when no explanations were given for deductions that were made. The characters were interesting and the reader will want to know more about them. All in all, I will look for more Raja Williams novels.
dennis l mcnett
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good Read

This was a story that fit my interest to a t. Kept me waiting for the the next page with excitement
Silver Screen Videos
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
NOTE: The author graciously gave me a copy of this book and asked me to write a review.

The independently wealthy private detective is a time honored character in mysteries, dating back to the days of Lord Peter Wimsey and Nick and Nora Charles. Author Jack Thompson carries that concept forward into the 21st century in The Color of Greed. Thompson's detective, Raja Williams, is the heir to a liquor fortune and probably has a net worth that would exceed that of Wimsey and the Charleses combined. W
Tony Parsons
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pacific Ocean CA. The Maid Marion (40’ yacht) arrived in the Alamitos Bay Yacht Club (Seal Beach).
Sandy & Darryl Harmon were getting quite hot/heavy.
The Clarice (Azimut 40’ high-end luxury sports yacht) had come right up next to them.
Detective Thomas “Tommy” Rafferty (LAPD) & Dr. Sharon Becker (Chief of Forensics, LA County coroner) had arrived on the crime scene.
Randall “Randy” Hope (32, husband) was the deceased found on board.
Clarice Hope (yacht owner, nee Smith) called Raja Willi
Bev
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it, have-read
This story is about murder, greed of course, and how high on the food chain the corruption goes. When a wealthy heiress's husband is found dead on his yacht, Raja and Leeny is called out to California to find out who killed him. The more they dig into things, the more things they find that they don't like. Soon just staying alive is at the top of their list of things to do. But who is really after them? The Chinese mafia, or the governor? This is a great story that will keep your interest with t ...more
Rhonda Holle
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I felt like I had read this before, but I kept reading. It is a good story with a lot of characters of questionable ethics. The body count is adding up and with his loyal friend and college Vinney, things go from bad to worse until the case is solved. True dat! Gotta love Vinney. Raja Williams is the man to go to to solve this crime. A good read. I felt like I had read this before, but I kept reading. I did receive this book free and have enjoyed leaving an honest review.
Robert Rawls
Jul 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Bland doesn't cut it

It came up as a suggestion and I checked reviews even ! I had to add mine to keep things real.

Predictable, Dull, Contrived w no clear purpose other than this super rich guy and this omnipotent hacker. Did I say how good looking they both were? Language is extremely simplistic pretending to be hip. Suspense = Zero.
Kim
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I really enjoyed the mystery book. It was a good quick read. It was easy to get attached to the characters in the book, and allow them to take you on their solving of a murder mystery. Look forward to the next book in the series.
Neera Sawhney
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Color Of Greed caught my interest from the very first page. I just could not put it down. Raja Williams reminds me of Sherlock Holmes, a detective who follows the clues and whose intuition is spot on. Raja and Vinny are a perfect foil for each other. This is a must read series.

Pat Welte
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. Different point of view.
Barb
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book 📚, a very good mystery, well written, good characters, and the story moved right along.
Jeanie Kidd
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book I really enjoyed reading this book . A lot of the things happen that actually sounds realistic and cover ups. Especially the Goverment and political people.
Georgina Currie
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Color of Greed

What a great book, could not put the book down. Can not wit to get the next book, cast LA vie.
Kimberly
Up for a little mystery?  A little political intrigue?  Throw in a dash of suspense and a cool as a cucumber PI and you have The Color of Greed, the first novel in the Raja Williams series by Jack Thompson.

We get to know James Bondish Raja and his trusty hot genius computer hacker assistant Vinnie when they get a call from a wealthy grieving widow in California who is convinced her husband has been murdered, despite the fact that his death was ruled as natural.  The plot takes us from LA to Hol
Cameron Wiggins
Jack Thompson's "The Color of Greed" is a very good book. Moreover, it is just a fun book to read. "Greed" is like one of those old gumshoe novels fastforwarded to the present. Let's just drop all of those silly inhibitions, guidelines and other useless obstacles and kick our feet up and enjoy a fine weekend getaway read.
The above being said, one might wonder why the 3-star rating dude? I only give out a handful of 5-star ratings. So, a 4-star rating from me is a very high rating, and a 3-star r
Patricia Hamill
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Color of Greed is a solid murder mystery set in LA. Raja Williams, the private investigator, is one of those charismatic heroes who make this sort of story fun to read. Vinny is also cool, though she’s the typical mega hacker, pretty much able to accomplish whatever she wants as long as it’s connected to a computer.

The plot is well-designed and, though I couldn’t figure out who the culprit was, I did have fun trying. There’s a lot going on in this story: conspiracy, corruption, infidelity, a
Terri
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Superb
TMDG
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is about a private investigator from a wealthy Caribbean background, who believes in justice for all, and helps people in need without requesting monetary payment. He is hired by a wealthy woman, Clarice Hope, when her much younger husband turns up dead and the police rule it an accidental death. Clarice believes there is foul play and hires Raja to help her prove it. After meeting with Clarice Hope and doing some initial investigating, he also believes her husband was murdered. Raja ...more
Steve
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: Jack Thompson
I received this book directly from the author, in response to his request for review on Goodreads.com.

This book (first of a series?) is about a well-educated, and independently wealth, private investigator Raja Williams, and his hacker partner Vinny, helping a widow find out the details of her husband’s death on his yacht. The widow has gone through the police, but the death was ruled an accident and the case closed. She however is convinced it was actually murder.

Raja just starts his investigat
Michael Mardel
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Color of greed by Thompson is a pretty good detective/PI story with a savvy geek sidekick. I quite enjoyed it and finished reading it in the early hours of the morning. I thought the characters needed to be developed more with some negative aspects. Very clever to use green on the cover though not used by other countries.
Michael
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced thriller!

With good character development and many plot twists, this story will keep you turning the pages quickly! Although some of the hacking abilities mentioned appear to require the reader to suspend his/her beliefs, I encourage the reader to do just that and go along for the ride.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Hit or Missus (Peri Minneopa Mystery, #2)
  • Midnight Reflections
  • Top Ten
  • Montana Morning (Kilbourne Clan)
  • Iced
  • Deadly Night (Ghosthunters 101, #1)
  • Dark Side of Sunset Pointe (Lance Underphal Mystery #1)
  • Trouble In Paradise
  • Tahoe Chase (Owen McKenna, #11)
  • Murder Deja Vu
  • Ambushed (Decorah Security #3)
  • Arsonist (Jon Stanton, #4)
  • You Only Die Twice
  • The Undertaker
  • Revenant (Paskagankee #2)
  • A Man Overboard
  • Shades of Gray
  • Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
Jack Thompson is an international bestselling author finding voices in many genres. In addition to his popular Raja Williams mystery series, Jack writes science fiction, political thrillers, paranormal romance, children's stories and fairy tales.

According to Jack, whether reading or writing, what makes a story great is how well it communicates to the reader. Whether presenting him with a hero he w
More about Jack Thompson

Raja Williams (7 books)
  • C'est La Vie (Raja Williams #2)
  • Swimming Upstream (Raja Williams #3)
  • Diamonds Never Die (Raja Williams #4)
  • Muerte en Las Vegas (Raja Williams #5)
  • Vendetta in Venice (Raja Williams #6)
  • Death Down Under (Raja Williams #7)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)
  • The Ministry of Fear
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Heart-Shaped Box
    $11.99 $2.99
  • 15 Seconds
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99