Start by marking “Good News of Great Joy: Daily Readings for Advent” as Want to Read:
Good News of Great Joy: Daily Readings for Advent

Good News of Great Joy: Daily Readings for Advent

Good News of Great Joy: Daily Readings for Advent is designed especially for Advent 2012. With readings beginning Sunday, December 2, and going through Christmas Day, this book of Advent devotionals aims to put Jesus at the center of your holiday season. These short meditations are excerpted from the ministry of John Piper and correspond to the daily readings in Desiring G ...more
Published 2012 by Desiring God

To ask other readers questions about Good News of Great Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good News of Great Joy

Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Many Advent devotionals are feel-good little verses about Jesus’ birth. This series was gospel-centered and much of it focused on why Christ had to come as man (incarnation) and die on the cross - the author did not limit himself to the traditional bounds of Christmas readings set only in Bethlehem. I’ve found it rare that I actually learn something from an Advent devotional, so I really appreciated the “meaty” texts. It is a great little read to wake up the sleepy believer, too. This is a free ...more
Olivia
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Christmas devotionals that were short in length but often deep in content. I enjoyed the way it seemed to morph from what the Nativity meant for Jesus to what His birth means for us. The meditations seemed to get better as I went; my favorites were definitely the last few.
Bailey Marissa
A great, short, devotional-type read about Christmas and why as Christians we should greatly care about Christmas.

Disclaimer: Desiring God/John Piper allows their books as free pdfs. I received this from another person from church who was trying to organize a discussion about Christmas and bring community to the young women at our church for free with this pdfs. This in no was affects my views of this book.
Brian
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
John Piper's book Good News of Great Joy is a great little e-book that helps prepare the hearts of the reader(s) to adore Christ. One of the most beloved Christmas carols is, Oh Come Let Us Adore Him. Piper has chosen to use the 2012 Advent time of preparation to focus on adoring Christ.

In 22 short devotional readings, Piper has given us an easy to digest, yet theologically robust, work on Christmas. Our family is using this at the dinner table and it has produced some great discussion with our
Janelle
Terrific little devotional. Meaty and inspiring for Christmas.
Ian
"Advent is for adoring Jesus." Yes, yes. Indeed it is. I love these words of Piper's as it sets an intention for the season. Well, in fact every day of the year is for adoring Jesus but discovering this and learning how to do it in Advent is a great reason to start.

25 short devotionals/meditations. One to two pages each, a brief Scripture passage some from the Gospel accounts of Jesus' birth but others that at times I struggled a little to connect with Advent. Some words from Piper which are alw
Donn Headley
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Pastor Piper's walk through the Advent season inspires the mind but also touches the heart. These daily devotionals for Advent place Christ's sacrifice, from Incarnation to the Cross, in the Scriptural context that is needed for greater understanding of the momentous significance of God's grace to every human being, especially believers. These readings are sensitive and insightful, revealing the unfolding magnificence of Christ's life of obedience and how he is the central character of the entir ...more
Justin Howe
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I've read many of Piper's books. Hia writing has done much to edify and point me to scripture. This book seemed unpleasantly quaint. Maybe like asking a steakhouse chef to make chicken nuggets: they are good, but less than you're use to.
Sheryl J. Woods
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent source to prepare the believer for the coming of Christ.

Great source to prepare for Advent. Piper reflects his own, deep walk with the Lord. I have referred many to this resource.
Lena Morrison
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Piper writes great truths. He brings certain theological aspects to life that many pastors today don’t. His way of looking at the Bible is unique and beautiful.
Merry Christmas! God has come. <3
Katherine
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent advent devotional! Piper always packs a lot into each short reading.
Phillip Imsdahl
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humility of Jesus

Warms the heart to see Jesus to behold his humility and rejoice once agAin in my salvation. As always he brings God's word to life in new ways
Stephen
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent daily devotional for Advent! I highly recommend it.
Cat Caird
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Helpful advent reading for the run up to Christmas.
Elijah Abanto
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This devotional book by John Piper excellently showcases the meaning, importance and wonder of the incarnation of Jesus Christ.
Joy Rancatore
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
John Piper's exegesis of the scripture and commitment to God's word can be trusted. This little devotional makes a perfect addition to the Advent season.
Becky
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good News of Great Joy by John Piper is an advent devotional. I read two Piper devotionals this advent season. Both were good. I happened to like this one a little bit more than the other. But really, they build on each other and complement each other well. Piper's passion for the Lord is contagious, I think. And this one is a lovely gift to treat yourself with each season.

I love how each reading is short and straightforward, and not easily dismissed. Each gives readers something weighty--or mea
Denise
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This Advent devotional is okay if you don't have any others to choose from.
Bob Allen
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny — the 2013 edition (this one) appears to be exactly the same as the 2012 edition with the exception that there is an additional reading. The 2013 edition is 1-25 December; the 2012 edition is 2-25 December. But what a difference a year makes. I really didn't enjoy this book last year. When I saw a 2013 edition, I assumed it was different, so downloaded and read it throughout the Christmas season and thoroughly enjoyed it. The thing that stood out to me this year was the focus on why Jesus ...more
Paul
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious, devotional
Hard to separate my feelings about this book from my current state of faith, which is complicated to put it simply. We were using this as a study guide in my home group at church in the run up to Christmas. I decided to complete it today as it's short.

Some of it spoke to me but some of it felt too familiar and a bit 'pat'. But that may be me and where I'm at.
Robert Sr
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Robert by: Logos Bible Software
John Piper is one of the best Christian writers today. In this Advent devotional, he gives 25 short devotional meditations culminating in the "Three Christmas Presents". That is what Jesus gave to us and his conclusion on the humility of Jesus which caused Him to give them. It is an excellent read and full to the brim with good doctrine.
Jeff Holton
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Good News Of Great Joy is an excellent ebook for Advent. John Piper has written some excellent and easy to read devotionals to lead the reader through the Advent Season. This is a free ebook and available at www.desiringgod.org. If you are looking for an easy and challenging read for Advent then I would highly recommend this one.
Alex Hannis
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick, meaningful read to help your heart meditate and prepare for the Advent (coming) of Christmas. I used the Solid Joys App, which is a daily devotional by Piper.

I would use it again, but would also be open to looking at other options and seeing different and possibly better Advent readings and devotionals.
Gary B
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Some of the readings/devotionals in this were good and helpful, others were a little weird and lost on me. Overall I think it was helpful to have my thinking in and through and about Advent challenged and stretched. I'm not sure I'd read it again next year, but it's something to come back to every few years.
Eliezer Salazar
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't really do devotionals, but this one was really amazing. Piper has a way of constructing sentences that blow your mind away with rich, overwhelming theology that stirs the heart to worship. This truly was an amazing Christmas gift. Very short devotionals per day, but packed with glorious truths. I highly recommend this.
Marguerite Harrell
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great Advent book to read and want to read this again for next Advent.

Dec 1st, 2013 ( I am reading the 2013 edition which isn't yet on this) I read 2012 edition last year. Thankful for this Advent book to read again and again!
Lawson Hembree
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, devotional
Great devotional supplement during the Advent season. Piper does a good job of drawing from numerous biblical texts to present the story of Christmas as seen in the big picture of God's redemptive work in history.
Stuart
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very theological advent devotional. Great for personal study and meditation for adults, but probably not the best devotional to go through as a family with young children. I will definitely read it again on my own or with my wife, but not with my kids until they are in their teens.
Jonathan Wylie
This was a nice devotion that gave me good things to journal about and think through. It also was a convicting book as yet again I am reminded the world does not revolve around me. For I have been created for Someone bigger than me.
Nile
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't typically do a lot of devotions, but this was excellent. My wife and I did this together and really enjoyed the conversation that it spawned between us. This was a great way to orient ourselves towards Christ this Christmas season.

• Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus: Experiencing the Peace and Promise of Christmas
  • Hope...the Best of Things
  • The Eyes of the Heart: Seeing God's Hand in the Everyday Moments of Life
  • The Glory of Christ
  • For the Love of God: Volume Two: A Daily Companion for Discovering the Riches of God's Word: 2
  • Rejoicing in Christ
  • The 7-Day Doubt Diet
  • Eyes Wide Open: Enjoying God in Everything
  • God and the Gay Christian?: A Response to Matthew Vines
  • 131 Christians Everyone Should Know
  • Things Not Seen: A Fresh Look at Old Stories of Trusting God's Promises
  • Kiss the Wave: Embracing God in Your Trials
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • The God Who Sees You: Look to Him When You Feel Discouraged, Forgotten, or Invisible
  • Glorious Ruin: How Suffering Sets You Free
  • The Bumps Are What You Climb on: Encouragement for Difficult Days
  • Killjoys: The Seven Deadly Sins
  • Rich in Love: When God Rescues Messy People
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
“The only people who soul can truly magnify the Lord are...people who acknowledge their lowly estate and are overwhelmed by the condescension of the magnificent God.” 12 likes
“Let the freedom to fail give you the hope to fight.” 9 likes