Start by marking “Gilded (Gilded, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gilded (Gilded, #1)

Gilded

(Gilded #1)

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  4,033 Ratings  ·  588 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Jae Hwa Lee is a Korean-American girl with a black belt, a deadly proclivity with steel-tipped arrows, and a chip on her shoulder the size of Korea itself. When her widowed dad uproots her to Seoul from her home in L.A., Jae thinks her biggest challenges will be fitting in to a new school and dealing with her dismissive Korean grandfather. Then she discove ...more
Published March 1st 2014 by Skyscape

To ask other readers questions about Gilded, please sign up.
Shannon Fay Because goodreads is NOT a library.
If you want free books, go to the library.

Goodreads is just a registry of books. Like IMDB is for movies. You can…more
Because goodreads is NOT a library.
If you want free books, go to the library.

Goodreads is just a registry of books. Like IMDB is for movies. You can find out about movies there, but IMDB won't let you watch the whole movie for free.(less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
My face feels as if it’s turning as red as kimchi.
I’m out of breath, and my nerves are fried squid.
What. The. Fuck. Just because a character is Asian, it doesn't mean she thinks like that. Never once in my life have I ever had a thought along the line of "Man, I feel as limp as a bowl of Pho noodles." No. Just NO.

This review will be sprinkled with profanity, rage, and random insertions of hot Korean men gifs that serve no purpose whatsoever. Why? Because I can.

It's going to be fucking long bec
Ben Alderson
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"AN ABSOLUTLY BREATH TAKING READ!"

Unique...

thats all there is to it.
This book has been a plot line like I have never read before. The idea of Korean mythology just was an excellent choice that was perfectly executed by Christina! I am so excited to carry on with this series in the coming months.
I highly recommend this to readers who love mythology.. RICK RIORDAN FANS HELLLLOOOOO THIS BOOK IS FOR YOU!

I also want to give props to the amazing cover design of this WHOLE series! <3 In love.
Beth
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya
An amazing contemporary fantasy that explores the vast legends of Korea, this richly detailed novel kept me turning the pages well into the night. Jae Hwa starts off as a strong character and ends as a noble one, using both her brains and her brawn to win the day--she's exactly the kind of girl YA literature needs.
Nasty Lady MJ
Mar 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
To be fair really 1.5 stars.

To see full review click on one of the following links:

The Blog

Booklikes

Despite the fact that Asia is the world’s largest continent and that many of these countries play an important part in both the past and the present, YA tends to ignore them. I don’t know why. It’s not like any of the myths and legends that this part of the world has are any less interesting than its western counterparts. And for that matter, these countries do not lack hot men either.

Unfortunate
kceyagi
May 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I'm Korean American. So I'll probably be harsher on this book because there's so few representation, and I expect authors to do their research properly before writing about someone outside their race.

Did not finish. Got to page 150 and realized I couldn't read more.

Pros:
- Clearly researched well
- Prose was good from what I could see

Cons:
- I do not like the main character, Jae. Specifically because she mentions how she wishes her bully would pick on other "immis" (short for immig
Rob Slaven
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
As usual I didn't pay anything for this book but instead received it for free. This time via the courtesy of the Kindle Firsts program. Despite that kindness I give my candid thoughts below.

Firstly, this is a YA novel so the criteria I apply differ from those of a standard adult novel. The first thing I look at is whether I'd want my own children to read this book from a moral standpoint. Joyfully, I report that this book contains nothing really sexual in nature, unless you count some occasional
i.
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this book before,during and after a trip to South Korea and I highly recommend it to people who are visiting that country. In the novel you will find references to the amazing underground system in Seoul, the palaces,the KTX train,the coffee shops,the food and the vibrant atmosphere of the city.

Besides you will also find a romantic love story and a kickass heroine who doesn't give up. Korean mythology is also skilfully depicted throughout the novel.

This is Haechi, The Guardian of Seoul,
Monica
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a really enjoyable read. The story is set in South Korea and involves the myths of this country, which is an element that made the book incredibly unique. I really enjoyed learning about a country that I was completely unfamiliar with, and Farley weaves the everyday life and mythos of this exotic land perfectly with the plot. The story is faced paced, and is a really enjoyable read. I would recommend this novel to anyone that loves YA, urban fantasy, or that wants to read a unique and f ...more
Casey McCormick
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Christina is one of my very talented CPs and I can't wait for you all to read GILDED. Such a fantastic novel. Make sure you click that "Want to Read" button!
Anna Kļaviņa
Mar 14, 2014 marked it as not-my-cuppa
I've suspicion that if I would read this book I would end hating it for the same reasons I hate The Last Samurai.

No, thanks.

Robin (Bridge Four)
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I’m not sure where this went wrong for me. I feel really ho hum about the whole story. I’m not sure if I just wasn’t into the Korean mythology or the characters or just the overall story but I never really connected with this. It took me an entire week to complete and if you know me you know that is absolutely unheard of. I actually only marked one line in the book, also unheard of for me. By comparison in the first 5 chapters of Cress I have 11 highlights.

I’m completely socially incompetent in
Lindsey Rae
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Speechless.

This book leaves me speechless. Such a new and unique story. Christina Farley is a fantastic writer with an amazing imagination. If you are looking for something new this is your solution. When I first got Gilded I was unsure because of never having read something like it, but being a lover of both fantasy and mythology I thought to try it. I was extremely surprised and in love with this book though and it even ignited a solid interest in Korean mythology. I cannot wait for the next b
Selena Yukino (The Lioness: hear me roar)
I really liked the "idea" of Glided. Although, I wasn't expecting much from this.

And if you noticed my low rating you can see that I didn't get much either.
Giovanna
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I received an ebook copy of this book through Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Gilded sounded great. Unfortunately it wasn't as good as it could have been. It's quite full of stereotypes, like the insta-love, the "I love you" said after a couple of weeks and the female protagonist's silly choices. Also, I don't know if it's just me but I don't get why the love interest wasn't an asian guy. Yes, the main character is going to an international school but I still don't get why the love i
Denise
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book...

This book is one of those books that at first your not sure if you like the book or not. But once you give it a hundred pages to read you will get hooked on the book. I love how the characters are build up in the story. The book gives me the feels at some certain point. Before I didn't know what this book was until I went to a festival and actually met this author. She was so nice to me Eventhough I was with her 24/7 which I feel bad for. Anyways when I read this book I felt like as
Caitlin L
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow, 4.5! I realllllly loved this book! So unique from the other novels I've read. It was really interesting to learn about Korean culture and myths, something I've never even thought about! This book really makes me want to learn more. The only problem was the Korean words. Having taken Tae Kwon Do not to far back in my life, I've learned some Korean words, but when I didn't and it didn't explain what it means, it got me really confused.
Other than that, AMAZING!
Shannon
Hey, another YA fantasy set in Korea! Maybe this one will be better than Prophecy ...

Too bad we have to wait until March 2014 to find out!

ಥ_ಥ
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
I'm a mythology person. Someone just has to the say the word and I promise, I'll be there to side tackle them and beg them to tell me more
description

I learned some mythology from this, and it may be my fault due to the skimming I may have done, but I didn't get as much as I would have liked. What I did get a lot of was Asian references that I feel like people of Asian descent wouldn't necessarily use. And maybe they do, but my friends do not compare themselves to types of Asian food, just as I have never t
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

I received an ecopy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review

MY THOUGHTS
This was an enjoyable book. I didn't really have any problems with it, but it's not a new favorite. Still, it had a very unique premise and I liked it.

Jae's father recently moved the two of them from LA and now she has to deal with living in a new country, go to a new school, and a grandfather who may hate turns. Well, things get worse when it turn
Simona Bartolotta
*I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I eyed this book a long time ago and ached to read it since then. Generally speaking, I'd say it worthed all the longing, after all.

The Korean mythology stuff is truly intriguing, even though I would have this world to be further explored, as well as I would have liked to delve deeper into Korean culture as a whole -now, at least, I am more motivated to do it by myself.

Despite the poor originality of the plo
Tara Gallina
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ancient mythology, descendant of a legendary princess, and forbidden romance. These three elements drew me to Gilded. But it didn't stop there. Once I started reading, the characters, (Jae, her mysterious and aloof grandfather, her best friend Michelle, her love interest Marc) the setting, and fantasy elements kept delivering. Christina is very knowledgeable on her Korean history. This helped her paint a realistic world for the reader. I felt like I was immersed in Seoul, South Korea with Jae—wh ...more
Lara
Feb 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
1.5 stars. I really wanted to like this book. The setting and its mythology--so unusual for your standard YA fantasy--should be enough to make this book stand out, but the lackluster characters and sloppy storytelling bring this book down.

The author just takes for granted that we will care about these characters: Marc is "hot," we're immediately told, so we know who the love interest is; Michelle is SUCH a great best friend (that the heroine has only known for a few months); and Jae Hwa herself
Meredith
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The heroine, Jae Hwa, is strong and resourceful, and she's not afraid to throw down. But at the same time, she's respectful and good to those around her. She's a very complicated character who has to make some tough choices, and while she might not always make the "right" choice or even the "smart" choice, her motivations are entirely believable and sympathetic, and Jae Hwa's sheer determination keeps her committed and focused. Another thing I loved about this book is the nons ...more
TimeyWimeyBooks
Mar 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
The only reason I got through it is because it wasn't too long and the mythology kept me going. Otherwise, I would have left it. Jae Hwa is just...not very smart. At all. Anything someone tells her not to do, she does it. Her ideas are executed pretty badly. She constantly messes up. This is different from being flawed. A hero has flaws. Unfortunately, Jae Hwa's flaw is stupidity and that doesn't make for an interesting read.

Also, the love interest is white. Which is fine if you wanna do an int
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Publisher) via (NetGalley) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy, Korean Mythology
*Rating* 3-3/5

*My Thoughts*

Gilded is the first installment in the Gilded trilogy by new to me author Christina Farley. Farley's main character is 16-year old Jae Hwa Lee a Korean-American who left LA for South Korea after her mother died. Jae Hwa is a girl who has a black belt in
AO
Jan 17, 2014 added it
This was fun! I actually really like the international school setting. Most of the Korean-Americans I know who've lived in Korea attended these types of schools. True, I don't know any non-Koreans who have, but I'd like to think there's a really awesome diverse student body. Aka I was okay with white boy love interest, haha.

Moving along.. The book was a fun adventure romance with lots of Korean mythological characters. Read it if you like paranormal romance that's for a younger YA audience. Mor
M. Dobson
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"The souls of my ancestors tickle my nose, my chin, my ears, like butterflies released from a cage, skimming past me with kisses and blessings." This book rested at 4 stars because I enjoyed the rich imagery of the Korean folklore. Then the author hit her stride at the 80th percent mark and bounced the rating to 5 stars! Once the subplots fell away and the protagonist took charge, this plot soared!
Lynn
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Cant wait for the next book.
Jane Ellen
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This story is wonderful on many levels: exotic setting, well-rounded, real characters, a fantasy adventure with a love story thrown in for good measure. Loved it.
Alyssa

Book One of the Gilded series
Publisher: Skyscape
Publication Date: March 1, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC provided for the blog tour

Official Summary:

A Korean god. An ancient curse. Can she escape becoming GILDED?

A girl with a black belt and a deadly proclivity with steel-tipped arrows discovers an ancient Korean god has been kidnapping the first-born daughters of her family for generations. And she’s next.
Sixteen-year-old
YA Buddy Readers'...: Gilded by Christina Farley - Starting May 8th 2017 23 67 May 18, 2017 06:16AM
Fairy Tales Eclectic: Gilded - Asian Influenced Fairy Tale 1 15 Jul 26, 2014 04:21PM
This book really had me hooked 1 11 May 06, 2014 10:45PM
  • Alpha Goddess (Alpha Goddess #1)
  • The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1)
  • A Murder of Magpies
  • The Executioner's Daughter (The Executioner's Daughter, #1)
  • Feather Bound
  • The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
  • Such Sweet Sorrow
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
  • Daughter of Chaos
  • Into the Fire (Birth of the Phoenix #1)
  • Promise of Shadows
  • Sing Sweet Nightingale (The Dream War Saga, #1)
  • Winter Falls (Twin Willows, #1)
  • Follow Me Through Darkness (Boundless, #1)
  • Deception's Princess (Deception's Princess, #1)
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
  • Glimpse
  • Mortal Gods (Goddess War, #2)
After teaching and traveling internationally for ten years, Christina started writing about her adventures, tossing in a little fiction for fun. This inspired her to write the Gilded series, a YA series based on Korean mythology, and THE PRINCESS & THE PAGE, a MG based on fairy tales.

Besides writing, Christina loves traveling, running, driving too fast, and eating dark chocolate.

Christina wr

Gilded (3 books)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Girl on a Wire (Cirque American #1)
  • One Rainy Night
    $4.49 $0.99
“Disbelief is the root of the impossible.” 6 likes
“We are given moments, and we must choose what to do with them. This is your moment.” 5 likes