Start by marking “The Forever King (Forever King, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Forever King (Forever King, #1)

The Forever King

(Forever King #1)

When ten-year-old Arthur Blessing finds a strange antique cup, he has no idea it’s the most sought after object in history. Nor does he realize the discovery of the Holy Grail will take him on a journey that defies the rules of space and time.

As the cup’s fate-appointed guardian, Arthur is charged with protecting it from dark magic and a madman determined to harness the Gr
Published June 26th 2012 by TKA Distribution (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Forever King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forever King

Karen Brooks
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another book that I read years ago and recently re-read. I did this for two reasons: first, because I loved it so much the first time, I wanted to see if it still resonated and, secondly, because I discovered it is actually the first book of a trilogy and I intend to read the others (mind you, they were out of print, so hard to track down - but I did!).

Ostensibly a retelling of the Arthur story for the modern age, this tale is so much more...Taking the notion that King Arthur died befor
Wealhtheow
Hal was a fantastic FBI agent, but after a child died during one of his cases, he left the bureau and became an alcoholic mess. Arthur was just a bright but ordinary boy until he discovered a strange metallic cup. A serious of coincidences and the dastardly deeds of the immortal Saladin bring them to England, where they discover they are the reincarnations of Galahad and King Arthur. But their vague memories of their past lives will be little use against the clever and ruthless man who was once ...more
Leo (Rahien Sorei)
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Now, when I picked up this book from a pile of mislaid novels in B&N I had no clue what it was about - even the synopses and snippets in the book don't really clue you in. But I was immensely pleased as I began to read - as a book about King Arthur, it had all of the hallmarks of a classic Arthurian story you could find in Erec or Yvain, or The Knight With the Lion. The story follows an unlikely knight, Hal, who has already suffered his fall from grace (not a spoiler, I promise) in a modern ...more
Trin
Jun 03, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, american-lit
This is one of my roommate's favorite books, which she lent to me. I can totally see why she liked it. It's a really cool take on the King Arthur legend, involving one of my favorite silly soap opera plot points—reincarnation. There's also a really interesting, complex villain whose long, long life is explored through a series of fascinating, history-charged flashbacks. So plot-wise, it's pretty damn awesome. I think the only thing that's stopping it from being OMG ONE OF MY NEW FAVORITE BOOKS E ...more
Preston Nowsch
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most amazing books i've ever read, easyily in my top five. another angle on the story of arther pendragon(yes Dakota, ARTHER not BOBBY) that is beautifuly told.
Known as the greatest king of all time, it brings to life the story behond the holy grail. With one of the most vile villians to ever set foot in fiction, Salidin is the one you love to hate for every reason. you will love this book if you like the middle ages, Chivalry and a sense of mystery. You might not like this b
Abigail
I'm addicted to the Authurian legend, so I will read pretty much anything based on it. Hence, this book. "Forever King" is the first of a trilogy and I have not yet read the subsequent 2 books. I enjoyed this book, it was different and entertaining. It is not my favorite Aurthur legend spin-off (that would probably have to go to "Mists of Avalon"), but it was innovative and a new way to look at the "future" part of "once and future king." The book is relatively gritty but still contains a sense ...more
Katie Daniels
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grail-stories
One of the very first Arthurian retellings I ever read. I got it as a mass market paperback from the library and the cover was torn off so I didn't know the book title. This didn't bother me until years later when I realized I had no way of finding it again. I didn't even have the kind of reliable internet tools available today, so the limited information I had was of no use in locating it. The details faded over the years and any time I thought of it I wasn't near a computer...until today! Whee ...more
Matthew Collins
This was a great book. It took the Arthurian legend and put a new twist on it. Set in modern times, The spirit of the great King Arthur has returned and as a ten year old boy, stumbles upon the legendary holy grail. The only problem is, its previous owner will stop at nothing to give it back. He isn't alone though, Hal, an ex FBI agent who has been drinking his self esteem away with boos for the past year or so, has sobered up and is on his side (not to mention Merlin, and the story is a lot mor ...more
Stev Paulson
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've only started reading books again recently. Over the past few years, I've started and stopped reading more books than I wish to admit. This book, "The Forever King", is the first book in years that completely engrossed me! I absolutely loved it! It wasn't until I finished the book that I realized it was the first of a trilogy- the next in the series is definitely on my short list of books to read this year.

The short chapters were such a nice change from the more epic tomes I've attempted re
Sara
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first, I wasn't sure i was going to like this. Gritty, violent, and a little more real-world modern than i expected, i wasn't too hot on it at first. Then, I kept going, and I couldn't put it down.

I love the concept, the depth of the characyers, the richness of the images of Camelot, and the details of the characters' histories. I love the thought of Saladin through the ages - who else might he have been through history? Where else did he hold influence? These characters are multi dimensional
Amanda
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book. After reading it, it has become one of my favorites. I thought the characters really came alive and couldn't help but love and hate Saladin all at the same time. I think this is probably one of the best and most complex villains I have read about in a long time. The moments in the story where I caught a glimpse into Saladin's heart elicited such strong feelings of sympathy and respect that I would forget he was a cold blooded killer, which makes the story that much better. Ove ...more
Tracy Taylor
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love this book! Got myself a hardback edition of it, so I can always keep it. This mystical tale of reincarnation, magic and history just grabbed me and wouldn't let go. I stayed up late nights reading it, and have reread it and enjoyed it just as much every time since. I didn't like the sequels as much, but this book I cherish. Any fan of Arthurian fantasy should read this, I think.
Daemonzeiro
May 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING bad guy. Best King Authur story I have ever read.

This is the book that finally broke my sister. She had major issues with reading- she hated it. Until I forced her into this book. Now she reads like a fiend and it is all thanks to this book.

It takes place in modern times with some limited flash back type instances for mister awesome bad guy. I strongly recommend this even if you detest fantasy. This is not your average mickey mouse magic show by any stretch of the imagination.
Scribal
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't finish it. I don't know where to start with the problems. First the good: the concept is good. A gritty modern reboot of the Arthur legend. Love it. But that lasts for the first few scenes. After that it turns into part childrens (not YA but childrens!) fantasy and part back-story synopsis. And the writing although competent in the beginning and grammatically strong throughout gets triter and triter as the modern story (which was interesting) seems to be forgotten by the author.
Nacho Iribarnegaray
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody
One of my favourite books and one I have read and reread again and again.
I thought it was a single book, and I've discovered just now -thanks to goodreads!- that it's a trilogy! If I had known when I was a kid!

I'm so adding the following ones to my wishlist. And this one as well, I have to read it in English this time!
Sue
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book 3-4 times in the past 15+ years and I truly enjoy it every time. It's a great twist on the King Authur legend mixing past and present. I re-read it this time to see if it was appropriate for my 11 year old son, it really isn't. Too graphic and pretty scary.
Luca Dofus
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cheap-ones, fantasy
E'... e' che non me lo aspettavo!!! L'ho divorato in pochi giorni, mi ha preso e trascinato. Scritto in modo da volar via (mi ha ricordato uno dei miei amati King). I personaggi, anche quelli introdotti brevemente, sono precisi, caratterizzati, reali. La storia ti prende (in particolare le parti in flash-back!!!)e si trasorma presto in un continuo viaggio tra secoli, scelte, scoperte e perdite, odio, amore e indifferenza.... C'era qualche punto in cui, non so, la "soluzione" scelta dell'autore n ...more
Kate
This was a good retelling of King Arthur, although I don't know if retelling is the most accurate term. King Arthur has been reincarnated as a young boy in New York. Hal is his most loyal knight. They are all thrown together as the Evil Saladin tries to regain possession of the Holy Grail, a cup that Arthur has found that gives the owner immortality. Saladin and Merlin's past stories weave together with the present to create a truly gripping novel.

This was a long book, and I was riveted the ent
C. S.
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago, and still had it, but didn't remember very much about it - just vaguely remembered that I loved it.

Wow, how could I not remember that?!? Intense, powerful, true to a broad cross-section of Arthurian legend canon while still being 100% original. The characters - every single one of them, Hal first and most intensely of all but Emily, Arthur, even Saladin were beautifully formed.

Also when I first read it I had no idea that it was the first book in a trilogy. Sadly, The Brok
Penny
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this new take on the King Arthur legend. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I could have found the book in a format other than a paperback with way too small print! But as it was published in 1992, 26 years ago, it was the best I could hope for. I think I may have read it back when it first came out, but we didn't have Goodreads back then to help us keep track of our reading, lol. Kudos to Molly and Warren for a great adventure!!!!
Lucy Takeda
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am one of those Camelot fanatics. I also taught fourth grade for 20 years. A novel with Merlin, Arthur, and a somewhat normal ten year old boy? Perfect!
Hal was in the FBI. He quit when he couldn’t save a child. He wins a trip to England , and runs into an older gentleman, then a boy with his aunt, headed to a castle. A group of scary guys threaten the boy and aunt; Hal gets involved. Things become more and more complicated with now twisting with the time of Camelot.
Kristina
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book today as much as I did when I originally read it in 1992. A modern twist on the King Arthur legend with an interesting villain, a unlikely hero and of course, Merlin in all of his incarnations. What's exciting for me is that I did not know there were two more book written after this one and when I found out, I promptly downloaded them. Hope they are an entertaining as this one was.
Linda
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good....nope taking it back....it was a great read!!!!

Always enjoyed King Arthur books and this one is no different. It's a page turner. Lots of action. Love. Love. Love the Black Knight's storyline. Will definitely not forget this trilogy, highly recommend!!!!
Ruby Trappen
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book the first time in 9th grade and I still absolutely love this book. I loaned the book out about 10 years ago and just got it back. I couldn’t wait to read it again and still by far one of my favorite books.
Eric
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a genre (those who live forever) that I know many are enthralled with, but it didn't hit my buttons. Well written & fast paced, so I can see why many like it, but I doubt I'll pick up another book by her.
Jeanne
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, it wasn't deep or exceptional, pretty predictable, but entertaining and well written.
Hidayah6064
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was pleasantly surprised by this book. Enjoyed the retelling of a well known tale and the insertion of multiple other historical events. Leisurely read for history buffs.
Holly Esterline
Fun and unique
Noloter
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Semplice romanzo senza pretese che si colloca tra il thriller e il fantasy storico, avventurandosi nel ciclo sconfinato delle leggende arturiane.
Carol Waters
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable if predictable story. Lots of gore, not enough Merlin.
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. looking for book series about king arthur, but set in present [s] 4 31 Jun 03, 2014 07:54PM
St. John's Eve? 1 9 Jul 14, 2009 11:36PM
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • In Winter's Shadow
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Grail Prince
  • Arthur Rex
  • The Kingmaking (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #1)
  • The Pendragon
  • Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy
  • Merlin
  • The Coming of the King (Books of Merlin, #1)
  • Sword at Sunset
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • Guinevere (Guinevere, #1)
  • Excalibur!
  • Celtika (The Merlin Codex, #1)
  • Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn  (Guinevere, #3)
  • King Arthur's Daughter
  • Merlin's Bones
aka Dev Stryker

Born in Tokyo, Japan, Molly Cochran lived in Europe and was educated at the University of Pittsburgh and the Sorbonne in France. She has written 26 books, including 12 ghosted novels, and the non-fiction bestseller, Dressing Thin, before her own first novel, Grandmaster, was a New York Times Bestseller.

Since then, she has written almost a dozen other suspense and fantasy thrillers,

Forever King (3 books)
  • The Broken Sword (Forever King, #2)
  • The Third Magic (Forever King, #3)
“They had spent the past ten years like two trees in a forest, near one another without ever touching.” 0 likes
“I'm not strange. I've just been put into circumstances nobody my age should be in.” 0 likes