Start by marking “Delhi Is Not Far” as Want to Read:
Delhi Is Not Far

Delhi Is Not Far

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,956 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
In dull and dusty Pipalnagar, each day is like another, and 'there is not exactly despair, but resignation'. Even the dreams here are small. Adrift among them, the narrator, Arun, a struggling writer of detective novels in Urdu, waits for inspiration to write a blockbuster. Meanwhile, he seeks reassurance in love, and finds it in unusual places: with the young prostitute K ...more
120 pages
Published (first published October 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Delhi Is Not Far, please sign up.
Bhaskar Bharti It is a nice book. has simple language. wont take much time to finish as the story plot is catchy. I would say sweet and good read, provided u love…moreIt is a nice book. has simple language. wont take much time to finish as the story plot is catchy. I would say sweet and good read, provided u love Ruskin Bond's simple stories...(less)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
books i own
349 books — 197 voters
The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe Lost Symbol by Dan BrownThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownSelected Stories by Anton ChekhovGrandma's Matinee Bow by Virginia Aird
NICE STORIES
28 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Ningtoutao
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ruskin Bond is a content man. Atleast I think so. Sure he has bills to pay, sure he has people to worry for. But his writing says that he is content. He is not trying to prove his worth in this world where everyone is stretching themselves to come up with the bestseller. He knows his worth, it seems. And writing is only an extension of his life. 90% of his life is LIVED, not talked about.

This man lives at the foothill town of the Himalayas. This book is about how his character goes away to Delhi
Pradnya K.
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am surprised to see so less reviews for this splendid novella. Although I read it as a part of another one, it was on my tbr list and hence I'd to mark it complete. Besides I wanted to share my thoughts on this and ask my friends to give it a try. If you like reading good prose it'll never disappoint you.

It's story of a struggling writer, and people around him in a small town of Pipalnagar. Daintily and keenly Bond has captured the day to day life of Pipalnagar or any small town in India. Ther
Prashant
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: worth-reading
I am very confused about reviewing this book. Hell, I am even confused about my liking for the book.

Why why should I like it?

Just to be clear, there is no superhuman protagonist in this book. And there is no substantial plot either. No plight of the human kind or the irony of the living.

And yet I liked it. I even enjoyed it at times. I enjoyed it so much that intermittently I was not sure if this is a work of fiction.

After reading just one book by Ruskin Bond I have his engraved image in my
Gorab Jain
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, indian, buddy-reads
Loved this. Not for its plot. Not for its characters. Not for its language.
But for the fact that books like these inspire you to enjoy simple life.
In an age where living a simple life in itself is a complicated task, this was such a heart warming read.
Mohit
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
my first ruskin bond book, An innocent story of dreams and people of small cities, I love the way Ruskin describes the small towns of india, each and every character of this book has his or her own dreams. Ruskin really knows the nerve of india.
everyone should read this book atleast once.
Vikalp Trivedi
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
'Delhi Is Not Far' by Ruskin Bond is based on dreams and aspirations of common people in a sleepy town - Paipalnagar . The story is told through the perspective of Arun , who himself is a aspiring writer . People in Paipalnagar dream about going to Delhi and make a good living . Like all other Ruskin Bond books , this books also contains a cast of vivid wonderful characters .

As the books based in a sleepy town the pace was slow , which it should have been . But in middle the book goes a little
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
These are still short stories strung together by a single narrative voice. Like Borges, I think Ruskin Bond is not interested in sustaining characters and story arcs for the length of 200+ pages. He has to say things immediately and without the risk of making the readers bored, and that is why this novella is full of anecdotes. Simple, tongue-in-cheek prose which has become a Bond hallmark - to get things conveyed without a fuss.
Arindam Mallick
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
"only yesterdays are splendid.. There are other singers, sweeter than I, to sing of tomorrow. I can onl sing of today, of Pipalnagar, where I have lived and loved." Ruskin Bond's 'Delhi is no far' is a celebration of life, love, yearning, human relationships, and of course, his nonpareil understanding of and love for nature.. and although the scene in which Kamla appears last is almost identical to a scene in 'Time stops at Shamli' (by the same author), it does not take anything away from the sh ...more
Puja Narula
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-the-books
I grew up reading Ruskin Bond. From a a story or two a part of the school curriculum to making it a religious rite to buy every book to stack on my shelf, I've taken numerous journeys with Mr Bond. As always, Ruskin Bond, the name, conjures up misty hills, lush green valleys, gurgling brooks, long languid stroll through the forests, small-town vibes and of course, old-world Dehradun or simply 'Dehra' of another time.

The narrator – Arun, a struggling writer of cheap Urdu thrillers, feels trapped
Rishi Prakash
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I only realised after starting this book that this is my first Bond book! Quite surprising when I have been hearing his name since I was in school! It also came as a news to me that he is born and brought up in India and still stays in Muaaoorie. Somehow I always thought he is a foreigner who has been writing on India! So all in all many learnings for sure :-)
Coming to the book, short and sweet is the word. It is a story of a very small town which is as sleepy as you can imagine. There are few c
Dipak Mandal
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ruskin-bond, 2014
I am not going to criticize Ruskin Bond, he is so well connected to my heart from my childhood that I can’t even think of it. I read the whole story in 4 days but couldn't able to find out whether the characters are factious or factual.
Best part is that it projects the shadow of India just after
Independence between the era of 1950-1960. There is not much
discrepancy between Nehru’s India and Modi’s India ,basically both are equivalent in real senses. In this book all characters including the mai
Sundeep Supertramp
Review:

I don't usually give up a book mid-way and start reading another book. Of course, there were cases when the book was very monotonous and the progress was so painstackingly slow and I had to put the book aside and start another book afresh. I would neve commit such a feat, even if the book was so boring. I would in the least skip a few paragraphs and complete the book in some way. But I never stop a book in the middle and start another one because I believe that it is the worst degree of d
Amul
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruskin Bond is one of my favourite authors. Though I've liked his autobiographical works more, his novellas are a treat to read. 'Delhi Is Not Far' is a small book about small things of small Indian towns. Though written in the 60s, it relates to the present because our small towns and their beauty and their problems haven't changed much. In the author's own words, it's a rather plotless tale. Bond's description of the small town Indian life, with underplayed humour, wit and satire, is a beautif ...more
Hriday
Mar 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Nice book. Quite similar to, but not as good as 'A room on the roof' and 'Vagrants in the valley' - the only addition being a few sexual innuendos.

But a must-read for all Ruskin Bond's fans as the imagery and the setting of Pipalnagar and Delhi is quite picturesque.
Tejas Ghetia
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-have
Writing style is too good..
Small but revealing facts about village life..
If you have ever been a villager; this one will surely make you remember some persons...
Byju.V
Aug 16, 2018 added it
This story takes place in a small town called Pipalnagar. A young writer Arun writes cheep detective stories even though he wishes to make it as a writer one day. He makes friends with an orphaned youth, Suraj, a student suffering from epilepsy. They get friendly with Kamala a prostitute. Deep Chand the barber and Pitamber the rickshaw puller interact with them. All of them hope to reach Delhi one day in search of a new life.
The story has no plot. But it is a good read. There are several underl
Khyati Gautam
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book written in a lucid language opens is a gateway to the Ruskin's thought process. He has woven an incredibly simple tale in a subtle manner. What would strike you the most will be the description of various emotions.
A fine piece of literature!
Himanshu Kakade
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple lives of simple people, with simple dreams, portrayed brilliantly.
Nistha Tripathi
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
What is it in a book that captivates you? Its not the story but the small descriptions. As all the reviews have pointed out and is customary of Ruskin Bond, the details emerge out so vividly in your head that you do not read the book anymore but live it.

'So we mingled with the trees. We felt and understood the dignity of the pine, the weariness of the willow, the resignation of the oak.The blossoms had fallen from the plum and apricot trees, and the branches were bare, touched with the light gr
Rebecca
This was my first Ruskin Bond though I startedRain in the Mountains: Notes from the Himalayas first after a few pages I wanted to read a fiction by the author and jumped to the bandwagon of BR.
The story is in the form of ramblings in first person about a town and the people there. Though this was fiction I got the feeling that it was more or less autobiographical as it seemed the same person talking as in Notes from the Himalayas. There is nothing much in the name of a plot but the visual effec
Ravi Jain
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
A quiet, gentle novella, with all the classic charm and deceptive simplicity of vintage Ruskin Bond. In fact, it *is* vintage Ruskin Bond, the revision of a story he wrote in the 1960s when he moved from Dehradun to Delhi, before he became disillusioned with big-city life and moved back.

What is startling, and different from classic Ruskin Bond, is the frank depiction of a three-way love story ...
(spoiler alert)
See full review at: http://sillyputtyreview.blogspot.com/
Sanket
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it
First of Mr.Bond i read.......the places,the landscapes, the people, are all that we might have come across somewhere or the other in our lives ...but through the spectacles of ruskin we have a paradigm shift...into something amusing...perceptions we usually do not bring into our minds....its a treat that has an acquired flavour which gradually grasps you....and gives land to your airy thoughts...
Naman Mukesh Chaudhary
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sandeep
Apr 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Rating 3.5 / 5,

Any day I give Ruskin Bond short stories a 5 / 5.

Nothing impressive, feels just another ordinary plot though, couldn't fall in love with it, as it appears to be hatched away from the hills

Cheers
Sayantan Ghosh
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
'A lonely place on a steep slope, hidden by a thicket of oaks through which the sun filtered warmly. We lay on crisp dry oak leaves, while a cool breeze fanned our bodies.' This is where one ought to be while reading this book.
Yogesh
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like the way this simple story of pipalnagar flows through the book. I love the images and thoughts author produced at times.
I love it..
Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
You won't even notice when the prose blends in the verse... Beautiful and nostalgic depiction of a semi-suburb village life...
Josiah
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asia, fiction, 2016
It makes me nostalgic for memories I do not possess. A beautifully crafted treasure of a book.
Soham Banerjee
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
a picture of a small town in India, of their people and their thoughts, their aspirations. of finding freedom in a big city. the joy of life, the hopes and struggles of an aspiring writer who finds motley friends among the residents of the town, all from different basic professions but have similar joys and dreams, all pinned on the city of Delhi.
Thameena Abeer
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Immensely well written book. Great for young readers as well as adults. A nostalgic experience for those readers who have lived a part of their life in a small village or town. The information given on the backcover about the characters is sufficient for evoking the excitement !
  • Mr. Sampath--the Printer of Malgudi
  • The Unknown Errors of Our Lives
  • Beastly Tales from Here and There
  • Kingdom's End: Selected Stories
  • English, August: An Indian Story
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.

He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establi

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Curtain of Green: and Other Stories (Harvest/HBJ Book)
  • Three Times Lucky
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Small Rain: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Homeland (Crown Family Saga, #1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
“Yesterday, I was sad, tomorrow i may be sad again, but today i know that i am happy. I want to live on and on, delighting like a pagan in all that is physical; and i know that this one lifetime, however long, cannot satisfy my heart.” 25 likes
“The rain swirls over the trees and roofs of the town, and the parched earth soaks it up, exuding a fragrance that comes only once in a year, the fragrance of quenched earth, the most exhilarating of all smells.” 4 likes