Start by marking “Spy Hill (Commando)” as Want to Read:
Spy Hill (Commando)

Spy Hill (Commando)

2.84  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
"Fairview was the finest friend a man could have, and the finest battle-companion. I dared not risk doing anything that might break our friendship."

On a hot summer's day, on a high hill surrounded by the enemy, the best battle-companion can turn out to be the truth.

Rook and Fairview have worked alongside each other for years, first as officers in the navy, then as officers
Published June 22nd 2012 by Love in Dark Settings Press (first published June 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Spy Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spy Hill

Victoria
A very well written alternative historical story. I don’t usually enjoy historicals, but this story kept me intrigued from beginning to end, even though there was very little romance. Thank you Dusk Peterson, for donating your story, time and talent.
Dusk Peterson
Excerpt:

"Gentlemen."

We turned. Tice had taken shelter under a chestnut tree; his pipe glowed in the darkness of that shelter. His face was too shadow-grey for me to read his expression.

Fairview could be blunt when necessity arose. "Tice," he said, "can we count on you in this battle?"

Tice paused to draw in a breath of smoke before replying. He was a large, stocky man – not the sort of man you'd expect to be a scout, which was how he had started his army career. Before that, he had served in the
Pete W
I am not sure how to rate this one. Since this is the first alternate-historical romance I have read.

I am not sure I would even call this one a romance... More like a war journal perhaps. Most of the book focused on the war that the two MCs were in. It wasn't the Greek war I envisioned when I wrote the prompt but I supposed it was just as brutal. I had a hard time getting the grip on the world as it was set in the alternate universe of the era that I am not familiar with.

The twist at the end was
Wendy Ann
I thoroughly appreciate the time and effort the author put into this story. There were definitely some interesting angles used to tell the story and how it fit the picture inspiration. Unfortunately, this was one of those historicals that just didn’t grab me and force my attention. I really dislike history (but that doesn’t mean I’m unwilling to even try it), so yes, a historical has to be riveting enough to overcome that obstacle for me. I feel like I need to apologize. This was a good story, j ...more
qx
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
hstorical war blah just not for me
Katy Beth Mckee
Like some others have said I'm not really into this genre but this story is well written and does draw the reader in. Great job created a different world.
Helen Peter
Not really into 'war stories' but overall a good read.
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love will always find you across time and space. An unusual read, an interesting read.
Deb Williams
Shawn
Jul 13, 2012
FallGal
Mar 24, 2015
Honored in the Rainbow Awards, Dusk Peterson writes historical speculative fiction with diverse characters: historical fantasy, alternate history, and retrofuture science fiction. Friendship, romantic friendship, and romance often occur in the stories. Visit duskpeterson.com for e-books and free fiction.

A resident of Maryland, Mx. Peterson lives with an apprentice and several thousand books.