Start by marking “Don't Worry, It Gets Worse: One Twentysomething's (Mostly Failed) Attempts at Adulthood” as Want to Read:

Alida Nugent graduated college with a degree in one hand and a drink in the other, eager to trade in parties and all-nighters for "the real world.” But post-grad wasn’t the glam life she imagined. Soon buried under a pile of bills, laundry, and three-dollar bottles of wine, it quickly became clear that she had no idea what she was doing. But hey, what twentysomething does? ...more
Published May 7th 2013 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about Don't Worry, It Gets Worse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Worry, It Gets Worse

Allison
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ellen
I really, really wanted to like this book. After all, I--also being a twenty-something graduate of a liberal arts college who lives in NYC (okay, okay, I live in NJ, but my neighborhood is more of a Manhattan suburb than Staten Island will ever be)--am essentially just like Nugent!

However, as it turns out, I'm really nothing at all like Nugent. Firstly, we have entirely different priorities: I'm an athlete and she's . . . an alcoholic? I like nice boys and she . . . well, she doesn't, at least n
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This book made me feel better about where I am as a twenty-something. At least I have it better figured out than this author!
Liz
May 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
When I saw a customer come through my till with this book, I took one look at the cover and said, "At last, a book about the great struggle for millennials to get a toe-hold in this crazy world!" You can even punctuate that previous in-my-head declaration by scrunching my two degrees into some sort of papier mache exclamation mark: after all, I have a masters degree and I work in a bookstore. Moving along.

I really wanted to love this book, and tout it as a great example of what it's like to grad
Elizabeth
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was over all just ehhhh *noncommittal shrug*
The beginning was not good at all, but there were a few chapters (two chapters) that were decent.
Ehhhhh hhh hh h
Julissa
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it

I guess I was expecting -despite the title of the book- that it gets... better.

I wasn't expecting to find all the answers to my twenty-something-I'm-lost-and-still-don't-know-what-the-F-to-do-with-my-life-eternal-crisis but at least I was expecting to find her answers! But no, this is a diary, a mental and emotional relief, her letting it all out, feeling sorry for herself, complaining... And I get it, I do it all the time, but I wanted more than that.

Was it funny? Yes, sometimes. Coul
kylajaclyn
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
I want to give Alida Nugent (and many other 23-year-olds, including my roommate) a copy of Adulting, because I feel she really needs it. I bought this book with a handful of other 20-something books Amazon recommended to me, and therefore I did not realize that Alida's best friend is alcohol and she lives on the corner of Snarkville and Hipster (or Williamsburg, as you may know it). Yes,
I am now snarking Alida too. Maybe. The thing is, I have never been a 20-something who understands the purpose
Tracy
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just realized I am one of the only written reviews so Alida Nugent might see this! No homo but I would totally buy you some whiskey if we ever met. That is a special offer as the only other person I have vowed to buy whiskey for is musical artist Ke$ha. Thanks for writing this book.

I want to clarify this is a 5 for me personally. This book happens to speak to me given I share a lot of the same humor and thoughts as the author. She might have clubbed me over the head with a cheap bottle of win
Edita S.
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I started reading this book this morning while waiting for my car to be towed and sitting in my apartment hoping that that lipstick I ordered would at least be delivered today but it wasn't so self-medication with take-out seemed like the next best bet.

That's a long winded way of saying that I identify with the author 100% - we even graduated the same year.

The first half of the book was a blast and probably really comes back to all that nostalgia the second half hits on which is maybe why the s
Fernanda
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is my first review ever, so don't judge too hard.
This book is not fantastic but I must admit that it has a lot of humor and a very direct and fresh style. It's basically about a broke woman who has recently graduated from college with a major in english. She talks about how she copes with this (drinking, crashing with the 'rents and being anti-social). While this book might seem hilarious to some people, I only thought a few of the jokes were funny. The others just plain depressed me, sinc
Andrew Jenkins
Jul 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Just a very long, vapid buzzfeed article trying to get validation for going through mundane things that every single university/college graduate goes through after graduating.

I saw this book and immediately connected with the title and bought it straight away expecting to laugh, connect and find inspiration in the book through someone who has been through the same year (or however long she struggled) as me before finding meaningful employment after university/college.

What I found instead was ina
N.
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
What to say about this book...

It's not what I expected. It's a collection of essays that have no line of thought or storyline that connects them, only the general sentiment of being in your 20's.

Was it funny? Definitely had it's moments where I giggled. The snark is strong on this one. Did I relate to it? At times, yes. Did it make it hard to read? Definitely. Especially because, even if I am in my late 20's, I still feel lost in the sea of adulthood and not entirely sure what I am doing.

The go
Kendall Ferguson
Sep 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
I really wanted to like this book, and there were some really funny, relatable high points. However, any genuine enjoyment was drowned out by my overwhelming lack of sympathy. For every 10 pages of relatable struggles, there must be 30 pages of non-relatable content. Forgetting to send out invoices to clients? Drunkenly applying to jobs? I just can't relate, and I certainly can't feel any real sympathy. Still, it was good for a few laughs.
Cate
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who literally cannot
I'm not sure if there was more whining or wining in this book.
Clair Belmonte
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The English major in me, the one pushed for endless hours to love classic literature and mark up my books with vigorous notes about symbolism and consonance and blatant motifs, hates to give this book four stars. However, the real human being in me that thinks beyond my supposedly intellectual degree and the wonderful things I might be able to do with it cried at how relevant this book was. Trying to be an adult is hard, and Nugent points that out in vivid details that I swore she stole out of m ...more
Heidi The Reader
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: bloggers, memoirs, humor
Alida perfectly captures that panicky moment between college and adulthood that everyone goes through but not everyone can find the words to discuss. You're thinking to yourself (err, perhaps I was thinking to myself): I just finished the hardest four years of my life, it's all smooth sailing from here! And then what a shock it was to realize that that wasn't at all true.

In many ways, my post-collegiate experience was quite similar to Alida's. I got a four year degree from a liberal arts institu
Chris
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes when you grab an early review book, you wonder what the heck you were thinking. "Don't Worry, It Gets Worse" is a riff on being a 20-something graduate entering into the "real" world. I'm old enough to be Alida's mother--how would this be relevant? The thing is, her stories are universal. No matter what our age, most of us still are that 20-something year old, that 16-year old, that thirty-something. . . . (Alida--that's one of the things they don't tell you--you never really get older ...more
Wendy Williams
Jul 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
i'm 40, live in the country, didn't go to college, married at 18, and had a kid at 20 so I guess i'm not the intended demographic for this book being as it's written by a twentysomething, college-educated, recent New York transplant. When I ran across this book I thought 'hey I was twentysomething at one time, maybe I can relate' so I gave it a shot. To my disappointment, there wasn't a single thing in this book that I could relate to. She seems like an ok writer, but the subject matter just did ...more
Victoria
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I think I took this book a lot less seriously than most people. I quite liked it actually. Nugent had her moments and I think I may have related a bit more being from NYC that I did laugh a bit when she talked about her housing situation -

I think she says she's excited about finally having found an apartment her and her two roommates agree on although she didn't know why because her room was barely big enough to fit her twin bed.

As a NY-er I can completely relate sweet jesus good aff
Sorana
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This was wonderful at the beginning but slowly started to fall towards the end. A definite pick me up if you're feeling low but really not the best representation of 20-somethings; there's only so many times drinking jokes are funny. However, she brings up some really valid points on parenting and the expectations we all had in college as budding adults. Save this one for subway reading.
Briana
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While I've just begun this book (and can't feel more opposite than Alida in personality & actions), I can't help but applaud her ability to describe the feelings of twentysomething adulthood...The endurance, awkwardness, and humility of it all. I find myself consistently laughing out loud & nodding my head at the chapters of a surprisingly kindred spirit....We'll see how it continues....
Sara
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book feels unoriginal and uninspired. There was nothing really to glean from this book. It just felt like rambling and complaining about things that aren't really problems. Just...yikes, girl.
Jen (Pop! Goes The Reader)
Did you find this review helpful? Find more of my reviews at Pop! Goes The Reader!

“I’m going to level with you here. I am not going to give you one of those speeches where I say ‘I am you’, because that always has a creepy ‘the call is coming from the house’ horror movie vibe and I don’t like that. I am not you. Sure, we all put our pajamas on the same way – one leg at a time and in front of our televisions with chips poring out of our mouth – but that doesn’t mean we are all similar organisms.
Kayla
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Listened to this on audiobook,trying to remember to do the audio thing more often because I do enjoy it, but for some reason I don't listen to them that often. This is basically a series of essays by a young woman fresh out of college trying to find her way in the world, and failing at it ( as we all do in our twenties). I'm wavering between 2 and 3 stars on this. It was funny at times and she has good instincts about life, so I'll give her that.
Olivia
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Nugent's second collection of essays is much better than this one, in my opinion. It was disjointed, which wouldn't necessarily be bad if it wasn't intended to be organized around the twentysomething theme. Some essays just didn't feel like they belonged, whereas others could have been longer or more prominent. That being said, Nugent is still very funny and I appreciate her voice.
Melanie
Aug 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
This book tells us the story of how an average girl cannot reach her goals because she is way too busy commiserating in self-pity as she drinks her guts out and lacks the willpower to do anything actually useful, like helping in house chores. Instead of actually attempting on getting any sort of job so she wouldn't be without money, she manages to spend money she doesn't have and complain about it in the process.
Perhaps this book is not as bad as I'm saying. It was relatively well-written. Howev
Mel
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nostalgic!!! If one can be nostalgic for a time that's barely passed... well I am, Alida is, we the whatever-you-want-to-call-us generation (she defines as born between 1983 & 1990) we are frustrated and happy to relive the '90s, our actual youth. I loved her pop-culture references, her descriptions of NYC and how hard it is to be a barely passable adult in this day and age where we really want nothing more to go back to our parents' homes and be 11 years old again... just old enough to know ...more
Nicole {Sorry, I'm Booked}
Alida Nugent tells personal stories full of hilarity with the perfect balance of wisdom and truth that anyone in their twenties should probably hear. Her stories were not only relatable, but I figure that they are probably pretty universal for someone in their twenties. Well maybe except for the excessive drinking. Several of the chapters and stories Nugent recounted sounded like she pulled them straight out of my own experiences. Which kind of freaked me out, but at the same time gave me comfor ...more
Colona Public Library
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ashley, non-fiction
The beginning had a very good hook. I thought I was going to find some insight to how to survive being a 20 something year old myself. Some of the problems I can relate to such as, not having enough money, living on your own, what if my degree will be worthless and I'll be consumed in student debt.

Being twenty something feels like you have been thrown into the adult world unprepared, after reading this book I feel more prepared than the author. I found it really hard to relate to her and I felt
Christiana
It's a terrible feeling when you realize you might be too old for a book. And that's pretty much how I felt about this one. I was hoping for more Adulting, but this book basically just took me to the pain and struggle of about 22-24. It's bad enough I had to live through that (the struggle, not the time period. I have good memories from the actual time period), it's just asking too much for Alida also to want me to laugh at her foray into it and not be eye rolly about it. Also, if you're going t ...more
Justine
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I won this as a Goodreads First Read and was stoked to get the e-mail that I won the giveaway because the title and premise of the book seemed great.
The book IS funny and her stories kept making me laugh out loud and then my husband would give me a weird look. I gave it four stars instead of five because it was hard for me to get in to. It was funny and an easy read, but I haven't done the graduate-college-struggle-looking-for-a-job thing so I couldn't relate as much and it didn't pull me in as
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Book People: Don't Worry, It Gets Worse by: Alida Nugent 5 5 Apr 20, 2014 04:28PM

• F*ck! I'm in My Twenties
  • 30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30
  • 20-Something, 20-Everything: A Quarter-Life Woman's Guide to Balance and Direction
  • Bitches on a Budget: Sage Advice for Surviving Tough Times in Style
  • Night Terrors: Sex, Dating, Puberty, and Other Alarming Things
  • Dear Girls Above Me: Inspired by a True Story
  • Dandelion Hunter: Foraging the Urban Wilderness
  • It's a Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths about Life in Your Twenties
  • The Girl's Guide: Getting the hang of your whole complicated, unpredictable, impossibly amazing life
  • Graduates in Wonderland: The International Misadventures of Two (Almost) Adults
  • Adulting: How to Become a Grown-up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps
  • I Can't Feel My Face
  • X vs. Y: A Culture War, a Love Story
  • Holy Shift!: 365 Daily Meditations from A Course in Miracles
Freelance writer working on turning her first book into a television show with ABC Studios. She loves to write about beauty products, food, fashion, feminism, television, and anything with an angle of humor.

She's the writer behind The-Frenemy.com, a popular blog for women, for four years.
“If you want to keep your dignity intact, stay away from tequila.” 16 likes
“A few years ago, I graduated college, diploma in one hand, margarita in the other, completely oblivious to the shit storm that was coming my way. Here's a preview: becoming a living, breathing, job-having, bill-paying, responsible adult? Really fucking difficult.” 12 likes