Start by marking “From Out in the Cold” as Want to Read:
From Out in the Cold

From Out in the Cold

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  1,475 Ratings  ·  210 Reviews
Neil Dalton’s foundation is already cracking. Grief, guilt, and PTSD have ruled his life since a terrible crime tore his world apart last year, and he’s dreading a holiday visit with the family he simultaneously needs and resents. Then someone from his past shows up and rattles that shaky foundation right out from under him.

First a war nearly destroyed Jeremy Kelley. Then
Published December 4th 2012 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about From Out in the Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Out in the Cold

SheReadsALot

I, ah...I, um...liked it?

I think I might have.

*ponders*

I didn't hate it. That's a step in the right direction, I guess?

I thought it was going to be some angsty, epic, PTSD, sexual tension between damaged men. And it was just a drawn out (should have been) novella.

Neil is suffering from not being able to come out to his family and share a traumatic event that has been driving him crazy...literally. And I get his sense of guilt but he took it to an extreme at times. And he helps an estranged bes
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Another L.A. Witt Kindle freebie! 6/30/15!
Martin
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another beautiful Christmas novel about two troubled guys dealing with PTSD (one because of a terrible tragedy in his past, the other because of his military time in Afghanistan/Iraq).

Neil and Jeremy have been best friends all their life. They grew up together, went to school together and even shared they stumbling attempts at sex together. The sex part they even tried twice. But both times, they felt an awkwardness between them that eventually cost them their friendship.

5 years later, both guys
Kaje Harper
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, intense
This is a story about two former best friends, who almost became lovers but backed away from the intensity. As the book opens, they are both at a low point in life, and finally meeting up after years apart. Both have PTSD due to violence in their pasts, and this gives them a connection and an intrinsic understanding of each other that helped me believe in the fast way they came together. This book is about the healing, not the trauma, so it has painful, achy moments, but not deep angst. Some of ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I think your enjoyment of this story really depends on how you much 'romance' you want and how well you deal with two MCs with serious mental health issues, this is more of a love story and less of a romance, at least to me.
I found it a heavy read with serious and dark issues, but it wasn't depressing for me, and I only teared up at one point in the story, and that's the mother in me wanting to take Jeremy's parents and shake some sense into them and give Jeremy a big hug and the family he dese
Josy
Huh... I thought this book would be a total winner for me but sadly it wasn't.

I didn't hate it. BUT I didn't love it either.

Okay, there were parts that I hated. Like really hated. Jeremy's family was the absolute worst! Like they all deserve a special place in hell worst. I was raging mad when Jeremy talked to them.

And there were parts I didn't get. Like Neil and Jeremy's relationship. They have been childhood friends and once both guys realized they were gay, they hooked up (not a spoiler, it's
Enny
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story about two friends who both have to deal with PTSD and although the author didn't gloss any of the difficulties of dealing with it over, it was a very enjoyable read. The last chapter made me all teary-eyed.
Chris
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-crime, mm
Okay so I liked this but I didn't love it. This story had all the makings for a beautiful m/m romance but it just didn't take off until 80% - it was slow and hard to read but it had a thread of hope and I hung to that as I read. I think I just got lost in some parts.... and that is unusual for me
Juxian
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ptsd, christmas
I had a very bad start with L.A. Witt's books. One of the first m/m I read was the utterly ridiculous "Unhinge the Universe" and after that I stayed away from L.A. Witt for almost two years. But this book... It had not one but TWO traumatized characters! And second chances! And Christmas on top. I had to try it.
Well... I didn't hate it. I'm quoting another review here but that's about as much enthusiasm as I can express about this book. All right, there is more to say for it. It was not boring.
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧•°**★❧ •°**★
OooOh My Gawd....This is an ABSOLUTELY Beautiful Love Story~

of Neil and Jeramy~

A Love Story Depicting Love, Hope and Destiny~
Melissa
This story was ok. Kind of slow and not a lot of action, but it was a good read. It deals with tough subjects like PTSD, partner death (murder) and contemplating suicide. This isn't a light read so be ready for heavy stuff. The survivors guilt Neil suffers over the death of his boyfriend Bruce is further traumatized due to the fact that Neil's parents don't want any talk about Neil's gay life, so he kept his grief private. So, so sad.

And Jeremy's parents reject him outright when they learn he is
Trisha Harrington
This is one of those sad books that you so want to turn around and become happy. The blurb does not describe this book well enough. There are a few flashbacks but not a whole lot. The story itself is in the present but has a lot of the past twisted in. Sometimes in flashbacks other times just from a character talking about it.

The reason this book is getting 4 stars instead of 5 is because as much as I loved the story. I could not get past Bruce being brought up so much. One thing that annoyed me
Lori
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Wow. This book was on a freebie promotion and I'm so glad I read it. friends to lovers is my trope and this worked completely for me.
Annery
I read these books and I feel at worse like an alien and at best like some kind of cultural anthropologist. Seriously who the f**k are these parents who say they love their children but can cavalierly set them aside because they "don't believe in their lifestyle" a.k.a. being gay. It's not a religion or theory. You don't have to believe in it. It is. Even if you don't believe in the roundness of the Earth it will continue to be round. Secondly what kind of weak tea kind of love is the one that l ...more
Susan65
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

This was not your typical romance, but it was a love story. Both guys are seriously hurting emotionally and suffering from PTSD, Jeremy, from three tours in the Middle East, and Neil, from watching his lover being attacked and killed. They both are dealing with parents that are less than accepting of their being gay. Jeremy’s family completely disowns him and Neil’s family doesn’t allow the “gay” into their home. So needless to say, there is a lot of angst in this one.

Neil suffers horri
Nova
I knew that From Out in the Cold wouldn’t be an easy read, but it was more than that: It was frustrating, depressing, emotional and full of angst. Jeremy and Neil both have experienced cruel things they don’t want to speak about and when they finally do… *sighs*
Definitely not a funny or light book. To be honest, it was a little too depressing most of the time. Sure, with the last chapters I got my happy ending, but I wouldn’t want to read it again.
I’m not saying it was a bad book – I really en
Ele
Jun 30, 2015 added it
Shelves: i-rest-my-case
Dnf at 60%

Sorry, everything and everyone pisses me off in this book. And the parents are constantly there. Some other time I would have probably try harder but I'm not in the right state of mind to keep pushing now.

So...no rating:(
Karlijn
I finished it two days ago and I'm still thinking of it. I can't explain my feelings about it, because this story touched me pretty hard. So you have to believe me on my beautiful eyes ;) and just read it.

Marty90
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Io amo la Witt, devo dirvelo. Adoro le sue storie, amo come scrive e questo romanzo è davvero degno di questa scrittrice. I due protagonisti, Neil e Jeremy, mi hanno fatta soffrire, con i loro problemi e con il loro passato, due uomini uniti da anni di amicizia e da esperienze che li hanno segnati profondamente.

Neil Dalton si trova ad affrontare la vita dopo che un triste e terribile episodio gli è costato davvero caro. È passato un anno da quel momento, m
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
This is my one and only Christmas story this year, and it's just what I want from a Christmas story - it's a story that just happens to take place at Christmas. No schmaltz. No sweet sappy gumballiness to pick out of my teeth. No ridiculous over-the-top shenanigans. No "the most wonderful time of the year" messages that make me want to choke on my eggnog. Just two friends who have been through hell reuniting and helping each other over their emotional hurdles and growing closer together as a res ...more
Jewel
4.5 Stars

From Out in the Cold is a story of two men with PTSD and how they learn to cope together.

Neil and Jeremy were best friends when they were growing up. After figuring out that they both were gay and attracted to one another, they did a bit of experimentation. Then, many years later, while Jeremy was on leave from the Army, they got drunk one night and did more than experiment. That night left things very awkward for our guys and they didn't see or speak to one another for 5 years. In tha
Lelyana

~ 4,5* ~

Oh, my...tears...
This is beautiful, both Jeremy and Neil are not perfect, far from perfect even.
I don't think this a usual Holiday fluffy story I read during Holiday. But it works for me.

I had a hard time near the end of the book, when Neil and Jeremy at Neil's parent's house on Christmas.
You need some tissues on that part.
But it's worth it.
Two fucked up in the head, best friends since they're little boys, and losing each other, continued with their lives, and life happened.

Nothing is
CrabbyPatty
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful heartfelt story, wonderfully told. Neil and Jeremy are childhood friends and past lovers, and after a 5-year period of time with no contact, Jeremy turns up on Neil's doorstep one cold December night. Jeremy did three tours in the Middle East, and left the military after 8 years, suffering from PTSD and has nowhere to go after his family disowned him for being gay. Neil suffered an unimaginable tragedy and is struggling, while having a family who loves him, but doesn't want to hear a ...more
Barbie
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness. Grab a nice cozy blanket! Get a cup of hot chocolate! Make sure you have a big box of tissues with you and sit down to read this book! It was absolutely great!! I could not put it down. The beginning starts with Neil walking home from his grief counselor to find his old best friend Jeremy, who just got out of the Army, huddled in the freezing cold in front of his apartment in Chicago. That should tell you how the rest of the book will go.

I can hardly put into words how beautifu
Anke
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book. I was hesitant to start reading as I was under the impression of starting a depressing, dreary book. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. Yes, both MCs, Neil and Jeremy had some very difficult events in their past and it came up every now and then, but they also started to open up to each other and so helping each other to cope with it. The way Neil's relationship with his parents changed, in big part because of Jeremy, was very endearing. Especially the scene at the cove ...more
V
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I really like this story, until it reached this part.

The didn't see each other or contact each other for more than 5 years but a few days later they were devoting love to each other...yeah right.
Specially when Neil is still devastated by the dead of his boyfriend and still mourning for his loss. It took a few stars from my rating.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great story and deeply satisfying but a bit sad too.

Neil and Jeremy are boyhood friends. They grew up together and then grew apart. Jeremy went off to the army and Neil settled into his career. They both had a kind of sexual flirtation with each other in the past but it only made their friendship awkward and this was part of the reason they drifted apart.

Years later Neil comes home to find Jeremy waiting for him on the doorstep. Both men are suffering from trauma and both men are kind of excl
Trio
Seriously High Angst Warning

Damn this book was sad, those poor guys.

I listened to the audio version and he did a nice job with the pacing and enunciation but I would have liked it if the voices for the two MCs were a little bit more different. Also, sometimes I wasn't positive if the character was thinking or speaking out loud.
Sunne
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Yeah - that one put me through the wringer. Excellent.

I suffered with both and I cried some times. And I smiled and hoped and was more than relieved when they finally got toegether.

I was a bit annoyed that they didn't talk to each other at the beginning...wrong, not at the beginning of this story but more in the past. Twice they failed to talk in the past. And now they were afraid to fuck up the friendship they both needed so much.

So when they did, it was a great relief.

I wanted to punch Jerem
  • The Final Line (Recon Diaries #3)
  • Black Hawk Tattoo
  • Only Love (Only Love #1)
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • Racing for the Sun
  • Wild Raspberries (Dan & Tyler, #1)
  • The Dreams You Made in the Dirt
  • Love, Like Water
  • Merry Gentlemen
  • When One Door Opens
  • Lost Won (Liaisons #3)
  • Half Moon Chambers
  • Into Deep Waters
  • Through These Eyes (Blind Faith, #2)
  • The General and the Horse-Lord (The General and the Horse-Lord #1)
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • Cost of Repairs (Cost of Repairs, #1)
  • Latakia
L.A. Witt is an abnormal M/M romance writer who has finally been released from the purgatorial corn maze of Omaha, Nebraska, and now spends her time on the southwestern coast of Spain. In between wondering how she didn't lose her mind in Omaha, she explores the country with her husband, several clairvoyant hamsters, and an ever-growing herd of rabid plot bunnies.

She also has substantially more ti
More about L.A. Witt...

“Of course I am! We have always been here when he needs us.” I gave her a significant look. Her eyebrows climbed. “What? Is—” Her eyes darted toward the door, then back to me, and they widened. “Is there something I” 0 likes
“Is there something I should know?” “It’s not my place to tell you the details,” I said. “But I will tell you your son needs you. As badly as I need my family right now.” She blinked. “But…but he knows we’re here for him. We always have been.” I forced my voice to stay gentle and not accusing. “And what if he needs you for something that’s related to him being gay?” Her” 0 likes