Start by marking “Punxsutawney Phyllis” as Want to Read:
Punxsutawney Phyllis

Punxsutawney Phyllis

Phyllis can't convince Uncle Phil to get out of bed to make his prediction on Groundhog Day. When Uncle Phil realizes he has missed all the signs of an early spring, he knows it's time to retire and pass on the title of Punxsutawney Phil, Only this time, it's Punxsutawney Phyllis!
Published September 1st 2006 by Holiday House (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Punxsutawney Phyllis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Punxsutawney Phyllis

Start your review of Punxsutawney Phyllis
Calista
Girl Power! I loved this book. Punxsutawney Phil has always been a boy. Well, Phyllis is a different sort of groundhog. She loves getting up in the snow and splashing in puddles. Everyone tells her she is a girl and she can't be Punxsutawney Phil. Phyllis does not listen. She has faith in herself and she knows the signs of spring.

Spring rarely comes early and one day she gets up and she is sure it's going to this year. Her grandfather doesn't get up at all until forced to. He is the current
:Donna Marie
PUNXSUTAWNEY PHYLLIS Who says a girl can't do a man's job? Not Phyllis! When it comes to predicting the weather, Phyllis has quite the knack, but tradition dictates only a fellow can do the job on Groundhog Day. Uncle "Punxsutawney" Phil says there's another 6 weeks left of winter while Phyllis says it's going to be an early spring. Who's right? Read this delightful book by Susanna Leonard Hill to find out. You'll be "blown away" like a February winter wind by the luminous illustrations by ...more
Jeanine
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Not sure why this had struck a chord with my three boys, but everyone has been asking for this to be read far after Groundhog Day and I haven't gotten fed up with reading it multiple times a day. Not much more that you can ask for from a picture book.
Francis S. Poesy
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I really enjoyed this book and loved the character of Phyllis. The illustrations worked perfectly with the story and the story wasn't heavy handed in its theme of "sometimes the right man for the job is a woman". I've also read the follow-up "April Fool, Phyllis" and would love to see more holiday themed Phyllis books.
Lynn  Davidson
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Phyllis wants to be the groundhog that predicts the arrival of spring, but only males have ever had the position. She knows it's going to be an early spring - she can feel it and smell it, but she can't get Uncle Phil to get out of bed so he will believe her. She wants to show that girls can do it too.
This is a cute story that children will enjoy.
Kimberly
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Meet Phyllis. A groundhog who is definitely unique and headstrong. She is unlike most groundhogs because she loves to be outdoors. She enjoys playing in the rain, walking in mud, wading in icy water and eating berries on warm days. She also has a big dream. She wants to grow up and one day be the next, famous Punxsutawney Phil. Her family gets a good laugh over this and keeps reminding her that Phil is a boy and has never been a girl. Her love for the outdoors comes in handy and Phyllis shocks ...more
Dolly
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story of Groundhog girl power, when a young female groundhog notices the coming signs of spring before the current "Punxsutawney Phil" or any of his designated successors do. (view spoiler)

We really enjoyed reading this story and we also enjoyed learning more about the
Terry
My boys liked this book, but we didn't read it a lot.

Parent 1: There is so much to love about this book. The illustrations are fun, and the author has packed the story with lots of great information. Phyllis is both adorable and a wonderful character. She is smart (she studied the weather), persistent, respectful, and cute.

What did parent #2 think? Read the review.
Megan Paulis de Rangel
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hse-ged-7846
I enjoyed reading this book to my class. The students really seemed to enjoy the illustrations and I liked how it could be used in a social studies context as well. In the book the little girl groundhog wants to be the main groundhog of Groundhog day but she is teased because "girls can't be the main groundhog". I think this provides for a good read on gender roles. The book can also be used to talk about seasons, hibernation, and Groundhog day.
Phyllis
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fancy Bears
Shelves: childrens_books
I originally bought this to read to my fancy niece when she visits for obvious reasons. Punxsutawney Phyllis is the story of a little groundhog who dreams of filling her famous Uncle Phil's shoes when he retires, but is told that she can't do the job because she is a girl. Pashaw!

This evening however . . . I will read to my daughter!
Jackie
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uncle Phil may be getting a little too old to predict the weather. But, who will take over? Maybe Phil, Jr.? Maybe Pete? No, they didn't see the signs. Only one person saw them! Phyllis! But, Punxsutanwney Phil has always been a fellow! Maybe it's time for rules to be broken!

Used for "It's Groundhog Day!" Story Time: February, 2012.
Karen
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Story not only about Groundhog Day & Punxsutawney Phil, but how girls can fill a role that has been predominantly held by boys. Appealing illustrations and information about the holiday and Phil at the back of the book. Recommend.
Rachel
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I enjoyed this story. It'a a fun way to explain the change from winter to spring, and it has a lot of girl power going on. However, it didn't work well as a group read aloud for preschoolers. It was a little bit too long.
Amber Adams
Feb 22, 2013 added it
Shelves: lit-2
This book tells the story of our famous groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil, who is hibernating and doesn't want to come out for Groundhog's Day. I would use this book in my class to teach about Groundhog's Day.
Heidi-Marie
Very cute book with adorable pictures. I liked the characters, too. There's a bit of history about Groundhog Day at the end. I've always had a thing for Groundhog Day, and I think it goes back to when my brother played the BEST Groundhog in his 2nd grade play.
Tiffanie
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I Loved this empowering story of a dreamer who used her God given skills to become the next Punxsutawney Phil even though she's told she can't because she's a girl! Go, Phyllis!
Meghan
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
went over well for elementary age group at Latchkey. I love the story, but it's too wordy for a younger group. beautiful pictures.
Beth
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-6
Chanel
This book was re named Wake Up, Ground Hog! Very good book about ground hogs and what that's the significance of Ground Hog Day with the perfect hint of girl power.
Jodie
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute story to use for Groundhog Day. It also incorporates the idea that the groundhog does not need to be a boy to do the job.
M.
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A cute story about Groundhog Day and girl who is determined not to hide in a burrow and wait for spring.
Katie Casey
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
A cute story about how a GIRL groundhog became the new "Punxsutawney Phyllis" despite her family not always believing in her.
Eugenia
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Phyllis is cute and brown.

Tamara the Librarian
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2nd, 3rd
Great story about a girl hedgehog getting to take over Ground Hog Day ritual when her uncle has to retire b/c she is most qualified.
Lynne Marie
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
An especially fun read for today, Groundhog's Day.
Beth
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Phyllis loves the outdoors. Groundhog is getting older and names Phyllis as the new official groundhog even though she is a girl. Some rules can be broken.
Laurren
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Will read to 1st graders in the library on groundhog day.
Relyn
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at the library
Shelves: lawsonland
Fun for Groundhog Day at school.
Leigh
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is DARLING! My kids love it! Phyllis is such a fun, spunky character & I love that she doesn't go with the norm. She's willing to be herself. So much fun!
Nikki
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
We read this on groundhogs day and my daughter loved it. It was refreshing to see a children's book where the girl can do a job that men generally do. Very empowering for little girls.

• The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
  • Perfect
  • The Good Egg
  • Babysitter from Another Planet
  • Groundhog's Day Off
  • Can I Be Your Dog?
  • Go to Sleep, Groundhog!
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • Can U Save the Day?
  • Aliana Reaches for the Moon
  • Hug Machine
  • This Is a Sea Cow
I am the author of a number of books for children including Punxsutawney Phyllis (a Book Sense Children's Pick and an Amelia Bloomer Feminist Books for Youth pick) and No Sword Fighting In The House (a Junior Library Guild Selection.) I love visiting schools and libraries and sharing reading and writing with kids. Although at age 3 I planned to drive a steam roller, I have since discovered that ...more