Start by marking “The Wedding Cake Tree” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Cake Tree

The Wedding Cake Tree

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  292 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Can a mother’s secret past provide the answers for a daughter’s future?

Celebrity photographer Grace Buchanan has always known that, one day, she’d swap her manic day job for the peace and quiet of her beloved childhood cottage, St Christopher’s – she just didn’t expect it to be so soon.
At the reading of her mother’s will, she’s shocked to learn that she hardly knew Rosam
Kindle Edition
Published November 18th 2012 by Hudson

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Cake Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wedding Cake Tree

Ms. Brandon
Quizá sean 3,5 estrellas porque no he sentido tanto como esperaba, pero le pongo 4 porque me ha gustado que se salga un poco de lo típico. Ha sido bonito acompañar en el viaje a Grace y Alasdair, me hicieron más llevadera una semana algo pocha.
Natalie
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is quite simply a wonderful book that will make you want to plant your very own memory tree.

I was swept away into the story from the start. As soon as Grace finds out about the mysterious holiday her Mum had arranged for her before she passed away, I was intrigued about the secrets that she would uncover along the way. The story unfolded slowly and meant that chapter after chapter were full of interesting twists and turns, and revelations that took me completely by surprise.

The hero of the
Kim
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, kindle, net-galley
I loved this book- one of those books that makes you think. I had recently read something that asked if you were planning a journey of the 5 most important places to you- which would you pick and this book has the same base.

When Grace loses her mother, she receives notification that she has to see the solicitor in 6 months time. She is told that her mother has left instructions for her ashes to be spread in different locations and that she has arranged for a Marine to accompany her and pass on l
Frankie Valente
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is really different; but in a good way. It has a romantic side to it, but it isn't just another chick-lit romance. It is much deeper than that, and funny too. It celebrates the best of the British landscape and acknowledges the modern day dilemma of fighting for Queen and Country for causes that are not always clear cut.

Melanie Hudson has created great characters in Grace and Alasdair, who are thrown together by the meddling of Grace's mother. I don't want to say too much about the plo
Neil Dyer
Jan 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'm afraid unlike most of the reviews, I didn't warm to this book at all. I was initially intrigued to understand what the whole reading of the letters was going to reveal, but didn't feel it amounted to much and the pairing/flirting between the two on the trip didn't really set me alight. I did feel it was chick lit and was far too gentle to become a page turner.
Mave
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this story, it's a book that makes you think
At the death of her mother Grace discovers that she had organized a trip to spread her ashes: she must bring it to some places very dear to her in the company of a marine.
The descriptions are so vivid that it really seems to visit England with Grace and Alasdair. The characters are great and lovable
If you want a book that makes you cry and laughing, this is perfect for you
Blodeuedd Finland
Grace lost her mother 6 months ago and it's time for the will. Oh her mum was a strange one because Grace is sent on a journey to learn more about her mum. With her she has a hunky solider named Alasdair. I see what you did there mum ;).

Did I approve of the journey? Yes and no. It was a lovely thing to do and to find out about your mother's past. It was a hard thing to do to find out about your mother and the things she had not said.

The book takes Grace from place to place. Special ones to her m
Robyn Koshel
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts with a mystery and Terry the magic tortoise, who could resist that?. It then goes on to be a fairy tale of self discovery in the most gorgeous locations. Scotland is described in breath taking details. I had to laugh at the Clootie dumpling- most people has no idea what to do with it either.
The progression of Alasdair and Grace's romance starts out as old fashioned and charming, but the heat definitely gets turned up. Trust me when I say it is all tasteful and you will want an Al
Allie
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a little gem, this was a lovely magical read. An emotional, entertaining and fun filled adventure.

Happiness, poignancy and some of the best locations in the UK.

After the death of her mother, Grace is put into a cab an sent off on a journey of discovery......led by letters left by her mum, she sets off to walk in Rosamund's footsteps. As a guide she has a Marine to assist, Alasdair and the pair bicker their way around their tasks.

I wasn't expecting the story to be the almost life affirming r
Deborah Blanchard
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the publisher, for review, from Netgalley.
This is a truly wonderful story. It deals with loss and love and so much more that words just can't express in this review. It is about finding what truly makes you happy and to take chances in life. You never know how things will turn out unless you give it a go. It is extremely well written and flows effortlessly throughout. Some of the English terms threw me at first, but not for long, as I became immersed into this world. In
Agi
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, favourite
I think The Wedding Cake Tree was for me this year's biggest surprise. I must be honest, I have expected something different when I started this book, something casual, something totally different, but after reading the first few pages of this story I had a feeling that I am keeping a real gem in my hands.

I think this review is going to be a very short one because I can't say a bad word about this book!

Straight to the point, from the very beginning we know what's going to happen in the story, an
Dawn
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had an e-copy of this book from Choc-lit.com in exchange for an honest review which I'm more than happy to give.

I started this book intending to read a little bit with a coffee and literally didn't stop until I'd finished it! It is so beautifully written and I was compelled to keep reading, wanting to know what happened next but at the same time not wanting it to end. It's one of the few books I've read recently that left me bereft when I turned the last page, a story that will stay with me f
Shaz Goodwin
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grace returned to London after the death of Rosamund but is back in Devon six months later for the reading of her will.

Grimes, the solicitor (wearing no shoes or socks and with Terry the tortoise on the desk), explains to Grace the conditions that she needs to meet before the will can be read. She doesn’t believe it’s happening … it feels very surreal!

Conditions: Five destinations and five letters in 10 days. She must set off with Alasdair on the same day.

Visiting the Yorkshire Dales, the Scotti
Suze Lavender
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Grace has recently lost her mother. She wants to return to her childhood home to live a secluded life in the countryside. She loves the home she grew up in and is especially attached to the beautiful wedding cake tree in the garden. Grace expects to inherit the cottage, but her mother has other plans. Even in death she tries to send Grace a message. Grace has to wait six months before the reading of the will. When she's finally ready to hear what it says there's another surprise waiting for her. ...more
Pansy Firefly
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The plot is original and pretty much flawless in execution with well drawn three dimensional characters. Grace’s mother has died, but she can’t get her hands on the will or inherit her childhood home until she goes on a pilgrimage to the settings of significant events in her mother’s life – a secret life before Grace was born – and at each location she gets to read a letter from her mother, telling her about the happenings in her life at this particular location. She’s joined on her sojourn by a ...more
Linda
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grace’s life comes to a screeching halt with the death of her mother. A loving, free spirit of a woman, she gave Grace a wonderful childhood full of memories she will cherish forever. The absence of her father was filled with the many coming and goings of the people her mother housed at her Devon retreat. The retreat was a peaceful, beautiful spot visitors came to relax and finds themselves.

To Grace’s dismay her mother’s final wishes were not as simple as one might imagine. She was to go on a jo
Anne
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The Amazon reviews of this lovely book from one of my favourite publishers, Choc Lit, say everything about it really. There were 205 of them when I looked today, and only 8 of them three stars or less. In terms of volume, that's really something - but no surprise at all, because this book was absolutely lovely, a joy to read from its opening pages to the last.

The whole premise for the book is excellent - a tour arranged by Grace's mother Rosamund before her death, guided by a series of letters
Kirsty (Book - Love - Bug)
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I haven't adored a book in the way I adore The Wedding Cake Tree for a while. I became totally and utterly immersed in Grace's journey, and the hunky Alasdair was a wonderfully packaged bonus.

Hudson writes in the most descriptive manner that you feel like you are living and breathing the story with Grace. I found my eyes brimming with tears on more than one occasion, whilst at times my heart ached, and at other times it sung and fluttered with joy.

I loved the different locations as well - I co
karmaforlifechick
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have had this book on my to-read list forever and it was brilliant! I found it was very slow in the beginning, but the slow pace of the book allowed the story to simmer and it was well worth the time it took to read.

What a rollercoaster of emotions I experienced reading this book. Grace's life was good for the most part, but between her mother, Rosamund's story, and Alasdair's life unfolding, how heartbreaking and inspiring are the sacrifices of the "special forces" of the ones who protect our
Ann
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Set in England, Grace's mother leaves her a two week trip she must take before she can inherit her beloved cottage. She must travel with her mother's hand picked guide in the hopes they will fall in love. I love this type of story where parent and child are the main characters. You can see Grace growing and maturing during their travels and she learns not only about her mother's early life, she learns about herself. So well written, I'll be looking for more books by Melanie Hudson.
Rosa Fragua
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Crazy mother, very sentimental storie, but a great truth: hapiness is in yourself.
Anne Wilson
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
No doubt I loved this book the places they went to sounded magical and beautiful as for Grace and Alasdair they were made for each other xx
Veronica
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chic-lit
Gosh I enjoyed this book! A lovely story that flowed. I found it hard to put down. I hope we get another book from this talented writer xx
Bev
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not just a frothy romance this one, much deeper feelings involved. Kind of a happy/sad book, I found myself smiling through tears several times.
Maisie
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An extremely descriptive book both physically and emotionally. A grieving daughter carries out her dead mother's wishes, the book simultaneously covers both of their life journeys and is somewhat difficult to put down. The storyline takes you to a variety of destinations as the daughter revisits her mother's footpath and learns about the woman she was before she was born. It has the opportunity for the reader to think/question their own life journey. I would recommend this book and feel it is on ...more
Chantelle
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. It's one of those books you finish reading and it inspires you to want to do more exciting "living life" moments instead of being stuck in your daily routine watching others live life. Would recommend for an easy read, leant it to my friend and she's enjoying it too!
Gingercat
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Choc Lit for providing me with a copy of The Wedding Cake Tree for review purposes.

The Wedding Cake Tree was a bit of a surprise for me. From the title, I expected the book to be a fairly light hearted piece, yet it proved to be a poignant and heartfelt story. It is the tale of Grace and her adventures as she follows her deceased mother, Rosamund’s, footsteps on a journey to learn the truths that her mother had not had time to impart to Grace whilst still alive. The journey allows h
Marsha Spohn
First reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

Do any of us truly know our parents? Think about that for a moment. As children, we often think (mistakenly) that our mother’s or father’s lives started when we entered it. I mean, come on, before we were brilliant adults we were kids who thought the universe started and ended with us. It’s what kids do.

I know, personally, that my own mother lead quite an interesting and rewarding life before I made my appearance. But I didn’t know about that “former” life until
Fi
Losing her mother six months previous means photographer Grace is back in Devon for the reading of her mother's will. Except it's not a really a will and more a set of instructions for her to follow. Grace must journey across the British Isles, and Zagreb too, to find out more about her mother's life and who she really was. Not only this but she won't be traveling alone. Alasdair, a battered and weary Marine who has stayed at the retreat run by Grace's mother, will be traveling with her along wi ...more
Sue
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved the places Melanie took me in The Wedding Cake Tree!! From the sheep to the stars to a sky with different shades of blue, The Wedding Cake Tree was a journey of discovery not only about Grace's mother, but about Grace and Alasdair. With a wide range of emotions, surprises, heart ache and hope, I loved this journey.

Melanie's description of the places and the people are fantastic! She makes everything vivid and easy to picture in my mind, and made me feel like I was right there with Grace
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Beneath the Willow
  • Love Lost
  • The One Nighter
  • The Falling of Grace (Falling, #2)
  • Bonds Of The Heart
  • A Bird Without Wings
  • Margaret of the North
  • Is Love Enough
  • The Mysterious Miss Mayhew
  • Forever's Promise (Bayou Dreams #4)
  • More Than One Night
  • What Matters Most (Memory House Collection)
  • Better Together