Start by marking “The Mac + Cheese Cookbook: 50 Simple Recipes from Homeroom, America's Favorite Mac and Cheese Restaurant” as Want to Read:

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A fun and playful cookbook featuring retro, decadent, and kid-friendly mac-and-cheese recipes from the popular Oakland restaurant Homeroom.

Think Outside the Box!
Macaroni and cheese is one of America’s favorite comfort foods, beloved by kids and adults alike. But there’s no need to rely on prefab mixes—all you need is a handful of kitchen staples, some tasty cheese, and a
Hardcover, First Edition, 128 pages
Published August 20th 2013 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Mac + Cheese Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mac + Cheese Cookbook

Janet
Can't wait to make a few of these recipes using my yummy gluten free pasta. I've eaten at the restaurant and it was divine.
Lizz
Thanks to the Amster-Burtons for donating this to my well-curated cookbook collection. not even kidding; I'm very particular about how many cookbooks I have and this is a good one. I like the focus on simplicity which includes side dishes and desserts that pair well with this favorite, hearty comfort food. Additionally, wine and beer pairings are offered. the whole thing is so yuppie/hipster including the book's aesthetic But I love that stuff. Knowing which fancy microbrew goes well with the sp ...more
The Holy Terror
Received from NetGalley. Man, this is one of those times I wish I had a hardcopy to drool over. Seriously. It's also one of the few times I'm ok with reading an arc on my computer instead of trying to convert a PDF to mobi and reading it on my Kindle. Pictures really make a cookbook worthwhile. I honestly won't even read/buy/check out a cookbook if it doesn't have a lot of pictures. If I just wanted recipes I can get millions online. I buy cookbooks for the pretty pictures!
Hillary
I'll have to try a couple of the recipes before I can properly rate the book, but they look fantastic and the directions seem really easy to follow. It definitely made me hungry!!

9/9/13 So yummy! Full review at http://persephonemagazine.com/2013/09...
Katherine
Wow, this little book is a wicked quick read, and all the mac & cheese recipes in it look tight as hell!! Can't wait to try making some of them. I'd also love to check this restaurant out if I'm ever in Oakland, California.
A+ for lots of pics, really simple ingredients, and booze pairings!

Definitely want to try making these mac recipes:
- Jalepeno Popper Mac
- Gilroy Garlic Mac
- Macximus (Greek spanakopita-style mac)
- Delicious Macken (German influenced mac)

Also, the side dish & dessert r
Kathryn
I am about to start working my way through the recipes. Will report findings.

** Update to Mac Sauce recipe, see below **

1/12/14 - So far I have made the mac sauce and used it in the classic mac & cheese recipe.
All the cheese sauce recipes start with a bechamel sauce that they call their Mac Sauce. Sounds hard but it is really easy. The book even has step by step photos - not that they are needed.

For the bechamel you melt butter in a pot, add flour and whisk constantly over heat, until light
Mason
I must admit the cover of THE MAC & CHEESE COOKBOOK captured my attention the moment I saw it. Doesn’t it look yummy? Visions of mouth-watering dishes of mac and cheese sprang to mind and I had to know more.

I’m happy to say I wasn’t disappointed by the cookbook, quite the opposite. I found this charming cookbook to be packed with delicious recipes, easy instructions, gorgeous color photos, and extremely helpful tips.

Authors (Chefs) Allison Arevalo and Erin Wade have compiled tasty recipes th
Robert Wright
A cookbook about Mac 'n' Cheese is easy to like. Books that are based off of one "hot" restaurant or chef much less so. Arevalo avoids that pitfall. This never feels like a book-length advertisement for her restaurant, though I certainly would want to go there based on this book. (If that makes sense.)

The book features many appealing variations, and presents most recipes in creamy vs. baked options, for those that have definite opinions about that debate.

They manage to incorporate a section of n
DelAnne Frazee
Pages: 128
ISBN-10: 160774466X
ISBN-13: 978-1607744665
E-Book ASIN: B00BKKFVCG

Macaroni and Cheese, the ultimate comfort food for most of us. The Mac + Cheese Cookbook is in fact teaching cookbook that shows us that Mac & Cheese is not just for kids anymore. These simple to read and follow recipes show the versatility of macaroni and cheese. It can be as simple as the plain side d
The Baking Bookworm
This book review, as well as many more, can also be found on my blog, The Baking Bookworm (www.thebakingbookworm.blogspot.ca).

Disclaimer: My sincere thanks to Ten Speed Press and NetGalley for providing me with a complimentary e-book copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

My Thoughts: Macaroni and Cheese, good homemade mac'n'cheese and all its creamy, cheesy goodness, is so comforting that it can soothe my weary soul even on the bleakest of days. Add a crunchy Panko crumb topping and
Jamie Arledge
I found this cookbook to almost be more like a novel than a cookbook. I've never come across a cookbook that had so much reading. I think if somebody is looking for a "cookbook" as the title implies, they aren't looking for all the excess reading. I think if the book itself had been titled something more along the lines of Homeroom's History, Tips & Recipes Revealed then all this extra info would've been more acceptable. Even the acknowledgements & introduction were way longer than I thi ...more
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Admittedly, I LOVE macaroni and cheese - absolutely love it. But I've had a frustrating experience with Mac N Cheese recipes in the past, especially books devoted to the subject. They are usually super fancy, adding strange ingredients in order to 'reinvent' or at least present a different take on the comfort food staple. But really, I want to know how to make a good basic recipe that does what is promised and doesn't tu
eyes.2c
Fantastic!

Ah! Mac 'n Cheese! The very words conjure up for North Americans of all ages security and warm memories. The comfort food of generations, Mac n' Cheese is a symbol of our childhood, our college years, our camping trips, endless summers and cosy winter evenings. It can be a mother's quick answer to the hungry hoards, a singleton's food grab en route to other occasions. It's food that we treasure. Be it a celebration or a a pick-me-up, mac 'n cheese sustains us on all occasions.
As Erin
Darren
A long time ago this reviewer first saw a reference to Mac & Cheese in an American cookbook and for some reason wondered what it had to do with a McDonald's hamburger… the cultural delight that is Mac & Cheese hadn't obviously travelled far enough at that time.

This book manages to find 50 different recipes from one restaurant alone, a restaurant that just specialises in Mac & Cheese. This will either be a form of culinary nirvana or a feeling of "Groundhog Day" for many. Still one ca
Cassie
ARC received from NetGalley.

This cookbook is dedicated solely to Mac & Cheese. Mac & Cheese is the ultimate American staple for children who are finicky eaters. This book takes the staple we all know and love and elevates it.

Most of the recipes sound like something I would make, but I was disappointed by the lack of Mac & Cheese pictures. The blue pictures are entertaining, but do not offer anything to the reader. The pictures that are included should be labeled in some way, because
Sophia
Look no further for mac and cheese recipes: this cookbook has the best recipe. They admit upfront that they have a basic recipe and all other recipes are built on this foundation. I made the classic mac and the minty peas side dish. I definitely have plans to make their chili mac and Sriracha mac.
Anne
All the recipes in the book looked like they'd taste amazing.

I tried out the classic Mac & Cheese recipe from this book, and was generally very happy with the result. I felt that it would have been much easier for me as a home cook, who generally isn't making béchamel sauce by the vat all the time, or making Mac & Cheese for dinner every day - if they would have included the recipe for the béchamel (or as they call it Mac Sauce) - in each of the recipes instead of having it stand alone.
Kait
I love mac and cheese, and this book has a lot of fun and interesting takes on the classic. There's also a few decent side-dish ideas and great dessert recipes in the back.
Beckey
One of the most popular comfort foods that are out there, Mac & Cheese is both comforting and satisfying to the taste buds. It also one of those foods that you can make in a various ways from the different ingredients that you can add to make it.
The book has 50 different recipes that you can create a different taste and flavor for the classic. Some of them I already use while other are ones I am looking forward to trying.
So, forget the box (or bagged) variety you may have in your cupboard a
Sara
Om nom nom, nom nom. NOM NOM NOM.

That is all.
Brie Peters
Made the Smoky Bacon Mac, and the Tuna Mac. YUM.
Oceandreamer001
Amazing recipes.
Odine
Browsing through the local library, I found this book. I thought, hmmm, I like mac n' cheese, let's see what we can do different to this "comfort food" we all know so well.

This book is a collection of recipes from a Mac and Cheese restaurant who specializes in different variations of the pasta.

The book has delicious pictures and simple easy to follow recipes. I tried one out and my family loved it. Definitely going to try some other ones!
Mills College Library
641.822 A683 2013
Marianna
Mac and cheese is comfort food at its finest. This is lovely cookbook with mouth watering pictures. The recipes are easy to follow for even the novice cook because they are broken down into three components, the mac sauce (bechamel sauce), shredded cheese and add-ins. A good addition to any cookbook collection.
Melody
I want every recipe in this book. Right now. Tonight! Lovely photography, clear and delicious-sounding recipes. There's something for every kind of mac + cheese lover here. I think this one needs to go into the permanent collection, destined to be in high rotation.
Lisa
it is a good idea but i am the type that if i am going to buy a cookbook i need pictures with every mac and cheese not just a couple the idea was good and many of them looked quite delicious who knows maybe i'm just partial to my mothers it is very good
Will
What's not to love about this book? Everyone loves Mac and Cheese, but what this book does is open your eyes to the possibility of how special you can make this dish with just adding other ingredients. Absolutely delish.
Liz De Coster
A pretty solid collection of recipes, using straightforward ingredients and a basic recipe template. I did find the formatting (branding?) a little bit twee and precious.
Lisa Urso
I can't wait to try some of these recipes. All of the macs look just like they should: creamy, gooey, and delicious. Be forewarned: this is NOT a diet book.
  • People's Pops: 55 Recipes for Ice Pops, Shave Ice, and Boozy Pops from Brooklyn's Coolest Pop Shop
  • Melt: The Art of Macaroni and Cheese
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • The Homesick Texan's Family Table: Lone Star Cooking from My Kitchen to Yours
  • The Casserole Queens Cookbook: Put Some Lovin' in Your Oven with 100 Easy One-Dish Recipes
  • Curtis Stone's What's For Dinner? Simple Recipes for Every Night of the Week
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • Whoopie Pies