Start by marking “The Mac + Cheese Cookbook: 50 Simple Recipes from Homeroom, America's Favorite Mac and Cheese Restaurant” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  370 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
A fun and playful cookbook featuring retro, decadent, and kid-friendly mac-and-cheese recipes from the popular Oakland restaurant Homeroom.

Think Outside the Box!
Macaroni and cheese is one of America’s favorite comfort foods, beloved by kids and adults alike. But there’s no need to rely on prefab mixes—all you need is a handful of kitchen staples, some tasty cheese, and
Hardcover, First Edition, 128 pages
Published August 20th 2013 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Mac + Cheese Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mac + Cheese Cookbook

Jamie
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
What can I say? Delicious recipes for the ultimate comfort food.
Shannon
Apr 28, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Received from NetGalley. Man, this is one of those times I wish I had a hardcopy to drool over. Seriously. It's also one of the few times I'm ok with reading an arc on my computer instead of trying to convert a PDF to mobi and reading it on my Kindle. Pictures really make a cookbook worthwhile. I honestly won't even read/buy/check out a cookbook if it doesn't have a lot of pictures. If I just wanted recipes I can get millions online. I buy cookbooks for the pretty pictures!
Hillary
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, netgalley
I'll have to try a couple of the recipes before I can properly rate the book, but they look fantastic and the directions seem really easy to follow. It definitely made me hungry!!

9/9/13 So yummy! Full review at http://persephonemagazine.com/2013/09...
Janet
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Can't wait to make a few of these recipes using my yummy gluten free pasta. I've eaten at the restaurant and it was divine.
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
This book review, as well as many more, can also be found on my blog, The Baking Bookworm (www.thebakingbookworm.blogspot.ca).

Disclaimer: My sincere thanks to Ten Speed Press and NetGalley for providing me with a complimentary e-book copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

My Thoughts: Macaroni and Cheese, good homemade mac'n'cheese and all its creamy, cheesy goodness, is so comforting that it can soothe my weary soul even on the bleakest of days. Add a crunchy Panko crumb topping and
Darren
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
A long time ago this reviewer first saw a reference to Mac & Cheese in an American cookbook and for some reason wondered what it had to do with a McDonald's hamburger… the cultural delight that is Mac & Cheese hadn't obviously travelled far enough at that time.

This book manages to find 50 different recipes from one restaurant alone, a restaurant that just specialises in Mac & Cheese. This will either be a form of culinary nirvana or a feeling of "Groundhog Day" for many. Still one ca
Online Eccentric Librarian
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Admittedly, I LOVE macaroni and cheese - absolutely love it. But I've had a frustrating experience with Mac N Cheese recipes in the past, especially books devoted to the subject. They are usually super fancy, adding strange ingredients in order to 'reinvent' or at least present a different take on the comfort food staple. But really, I want to know how to make a good basic recipe that does what is promised and doesn't tu
Kathryn
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am about to start working my way through the recipes. Will report findings.

** Update to Mac Sauce recipe, see below **

1/12/14 - So far I have made the mac sauce and used it in the classic mac & cheese recipe.
All the cheese sauce recipes start with a bechamel sauce that they call their Mac Sauce. Sounds hard but it is really easy. The book even has step by step photos - not that they are needed.

For the bechamel you melt butter in a pot, add flour and whisk constantly over heat, until light
Daniel
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.5 of 5

I initially requested to read this book because my daughter, a vegetarian, loves macaroni and cheese and I thought it might be nice if we could find some variations rather than having her constantly mixing from a box. But I found that I may use it more than she will!

Authors Allison Arevalo and Erin Wade are the owners of the restaurant HOMEROOM, a Mac + Cheese restaurant in Oakland. Their success with the restaurant promp
Mason
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I must admit the cover of THE MAC & CHEESE COOKBOOK captured my attention the moment I saw it. Doesn’t it look yummy? Visions of mouth-watering dishes of mac and cheese sprang to mind and I had to know more.

I’m happy to say I wasn’t disappointed by the cookbook, quite the opposite. I found this charming cookbook to be packed with delicious recipes, easy instructions, gorgeous color photos, and extremely helpful tips.

Authors (Chefs) Allison Arevalo and Erin Wade have compiled tasty recipes th
Jamie Arledge
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-misc
I found this cookbook to almost be more like a novel than a cookbook. I've never come across a cookbook that had so much reading. I think if somebody is looking for a "cookbook" as the title implies, they aren't looking for all the excess reading. I think if the book itself had been titled something more along the lines of Homeroom's History, Tips & Recipes Revealed then all this extra info would've been more acceptable. Even the acknowledgements & introduction were way longer than I thi ...more
DelAnne Frazee
Pages: 128
ISBN-10: 160774466X
ISBN-13: 978-1607744665
E-Book ASIN: B00BKKFVCG

Macaroni and Cheese, the ultimate comfort food for most of us. The Mac + Cheese Cookbook is in fact teaching cookbook that shows us that Mac & Cheese is not just for kids anymore. These simple to read and follow recipes show the versatility of macaroni and cheese. It can be as simple as the plain side d
eyes.2c
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!

Ah! Mac 'n Cheese! The very words conjure up for North Americans of all ages security and warm memories. The comfort food of generations, Mac n' Cheese is a symbol of our childhood, our college years, our camping trips, endless summers and cosy winter evenings. It can be a mother's quick answer to the hungry hoards, a singleton's food grab en route to other occasions. It's food that we treasure. Be it a celebration or a a pick-me-up, mac 'n cheese sustains us on all occasions.
As Erin
Robert Wright
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, recipes, dcl
A cookbook about Mac 'n' Cheese is easy to like. Books that are based off of one "hot" restaurant or chef much less so. Arevalo avoids that pitfall. This never feels like a book-length advertisement for her restaurant, though I certainly would want to go there based on this book. (If that makes sense.)

The book features many appealing variations, and presents most recipes in creamy vs. baked options, for those that have definite opinions about that debate.

They manage to incorporate a section of n
Cassie
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
ARC received from NetGalley.

This cookbook is dedicated solely to Mac & Cheese. Mac & Cheese is the ultimate American staple for children who are finicky eaters. This book takes the staple we all know and love and elevates it.

Most of the recipes sound like something I would make, but I was disappointed by the lack of Mac & Cheese pictures. The blue pictures are entertaining, but do not offer anything to the reader. The pictures that are included should be labeled in some way, because
Anne
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recipes
All the recipes in the book looked like they'd taste amazing.

I tried out the classic Mac & Cheese recipe from this book, and was generally very happy with the result. I felt that it would have been much easier for me as a home cook, who generally isn't making béchamel sauce by the vat all the time, or making Mac & Cheese for dinner every day - if they would have included the recipe for the béchamel (or as they call it Mac Sauce) - in each of the recipes instead of having it stand alone.
Harris
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-and-cookery
This cookbook, spinning off from Homeroom, the popular comfort food restaurant in Oakland, California (I haven't been, but it's definitely on the list when I make it back to the Bay Area), The Mac + Cheese Cookbook has some solid advice on making some pretty awesome macaroni and cheese. Including the creation of the mac sauce, there are some pretty cool recipes here- my favorite is definitely the Sriracha Mac. What could be better on a cold winter's night? Read more on my BookLikes blog, Reading ...more
Beckey
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks-more
One of the most popular comfort foods that are out there, Mac & Cheese is both comforting and satisfying to the taste buds. It also one of those foods that you can make in a various ways from the different ingredients that you can add to make it.
The book has 50 different recipes that you can create a different taste and flavor for the classic. Some of them I already use while other are ones I am looking forward to trying.
So, forget the box (or bagged) variety you may have in your cupboard a
Katherine
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this little book is a wicked quick read, and all the mac & cheese recipes in it look tight as hell!! Can't wait to try making some of them. I'd also love to check this restaurant out if I'm ever in Oakland, California.
A+ for lots of pics, really simple ingredients, and booze pairings!

Definitely want to try making these mac recipes:
- Jalepeno Popper Mac
- Gilroy Garlic Mac
- Macximus (Greek spanakopita-style mac)
- Delicious Macken (German influenced mac)

Also, the side dish & dessert r
Odine
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Browsing through the local library, I found this book. I thought, hmmm, I like mac n' cheese, let's see what we can do different to this "comfort food" we all know so well.

This book is a collection of recipes from a Mac and Cheese restaurant who specializes in different variations of the pasta.

The book has delicious pictures and simple easy to follow recipes. I tried one out and my family loved it. Definitely going to try some other ones!
Marianna
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mac and cheese is comfort food at its finest. This is lovely cookbook with mouth watering pictures. The recipes are easy to follow for even the novice cook because they are broken down into three components, the mac sauce (bechamel sauce), shredded cheese and add-ins. A good addition to any cookbook collection.
Jeanmarie Brenckle
Mac and cheese an all time favorite

No question as to why I purchased the book.
I was looking for a new recipe to make Mac n cheese.
I download the sample and went back to purchase the book.
Lot's of information on the how and why of making a perfect dish.
Awesome book!
Rachel
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great Recipes & a Mac Sauce!!! Can't wait to try all of these! These ladies had an amazing idea and loved hearing about their stories! My mother gave me this book as a wedding shower gift & I'm so grateful & excited to try it out. I hope I can learn to cook as well as she!
Lisa
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
it is a good idea but i am the type that if i am going to buy a cookbook i need pictures with every mac and cheese not just a couple the idea was good and many of them looked quite delicious who knows maybe i'm just partial to my mothers it is very good
Melody
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I want every recipe in this book. Right now. Tonight! Lovely photography, clear and delicious-sounding recipes. There's something for every kind of mac + cheese lover here. I think this one needs to go into the permanent collection, destined to be in high rotation.
Will
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
What's not to love about this book? Everyone loves Mac and Cheese, but what this book does is open your eyes to the possibility of how special you can make this dish with just adding other ingredients. Absolutely delish.
Sophia
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Look no further for mac and cheese recipes: this cookbook has the best recipe. They admit upfront that they have a basic recipe and all other recipes are built on this foundation. I made the classic mac and the minty peas side dish. I definitely have plans to make their chili mac and Sriracha mac.
Carissa
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the variety of mac n cheeses. The pictures were appealing. It's good home cooking. I loved the instructions at the beginning about proper sauce making and troubleshooting. The way they paired beers with the different mac n cheeses was awesome. It was a nice touch that I wasn't expecting.
Kristen
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
The recipes looked good, and I appreciated their instructions on making a basic bechamel sauce.
Leigh
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Some interesting recipes. I admit, I just want the book because it is so pretty. I'll wait though and buy it used.
  • The Glorious Pasta of Italy
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • Making Artisan Pasta: How to Make a World of Handmade Noodles, Stuffed Pasta, Dumplings, and More
  • Secrets of a Jewish Baker: Recipes for 125 Breads from Around the World
  • Joy the Baker Homemade Decadence: Irresistibly Sweet, Salty, Gooey, Sticky, Fluffy, Creamy, Crunchy Treats
  • Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery
  • Melt: The Art of Macaroni and Cheese
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • Baking with Mary Berry: Cakes, Cookies, Pies and Pastries from the British Queen of Baking
  • Gingerbread Cookbook
  • Sally's Baking Addiction: Irresistible Cookies, Cupcakes, and Desserts for Your Sweet-Tooth Fix
  • Lidia's Commonsense Italian Cooking: 150 Delicious and Simple Recipes Anyone Can Master
  • Weight Watchers 50th Anniversary Cookbook: 280 Delicious Recipes for Every Meal
  • Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast Weeknight Meals: Over 280 Incredible Supper Solutions
  • The Casserole Queens Cookbook: Put Some Lovin' in Your Oven with 100 Easy One-Dish Recipes
  • New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes from the Nation's Best Purveyor of Fine Soup
  • People's Pops: 55 Recipes for Ice Pops, Shave Ice, and Boozy Pops from Brooklyn's Coolest Pop Shop
  • Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker