Start by marking “Readings from Readings 2: New Writing from Malaysia, Singapore and Beyond” as Want to Read:
Readings from Readings 2: New Writing from Malaysia, Singapore and Beyond

Readings from Readings 2: New Writing from Malaysia, Singapore and Beyond

(Readings from Readings #2)

The victim of a snatch theft adopts a rock which she carries everywhere for protection; a world-famous author plots the perfect suicide in an anonymous hotel room, and a young neurosurgeon finds himself on the other side of the medical equation after a tragic accident. From the village headman who travels to weddings on his tractor, to an androgynous rock singer with a U2 ...more
Published November 25th 2012 by Word Works

To ask other readers questions about Readings from Readings 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Readings from Readings 2

Vivian Adram
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the fact that there's been a Readings from Readings 2, keeping up with the momentum is good. I took Creative Writing from Sharon Bakar at one point in life and have been in love with reading and writing every since. I can't say I do it diligently, but when I do it, I am liberated. It's therapeutic and I recommend it for everyone! Similar to the book - so many different people with so many different stories to tell. Many broke my heart - then mended it - then gave it hope.

Someday, I hope t
Fadzlishah Johanabas
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
The first volume comprised of poems and stories in both English and Malay. This time, Readings from Readings comes back almost exclusively in English. It feels as though the second volume is targeted at readers beyond Malaysia and Singapore. I'm biased, but to me it's a good move.

The book is well-edited, with minimal typos, and the presentation is absolutely lovely. The stories and poems are so much stronger in this volume. Some of the stories are heavy-handed and didactic, and some are so open-
Corinne
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
As one who is new to Malaysian writing and culture, I found Readings from Readings 2 a delight. The collection features prose and poetry of various lengths that were read at a live event by the authors themselves. I wish I had been present to experience that; the emotional range going on in these pages would have been something to experience in person.

Full of beautiful imagery as found in the poem 'Kuala Lumpur Trilogy', heart-rending tension in the story 'Of Snakes and Flower Cars', and the col
Marian Allen
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every piece in this book was stellar, whether it dealt with suicidal ideation or a cat's opinion of who should ask forgiveness of whom.

Every piece took me into the everyday life in a world that's unknown and exotic to me, but also into the hearts of people just like the people in my town -- people like me.

I would like to recommend this book to everyone, if only for the way it shows the common humanity of the world, but the book gives more than that. The stories and poems are all love songs to
Anna Tan
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Readings from Readings 2: New writing from Malaysia, Singapore and beyond, is a wonderful collection of work, comprising short pieces of fiction, non-fiction and poetry. The flavour is undoubtedly Malaysian (ok, and Singaporean) with sprinklings of other voices in between. I found that I preferred the local (or at least Asian) pieces more than the odd sprinkling of “Western” names that found their way into the book. For one, Marc de Faoite’s pieces on Night Fishing in Langkawi and The Milking Pe ...more
Frederick Brooke
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every so often you discover by chance a writer or writers you’ve never heard of before, and I had this experience when I received a review copy of this book. It’s a compilation of stories and poems by a variety of mostly South Asian names, only one of which I had ever heard of.

My way of reading “foreign” literature is to let it flow over me and make its impressions on me. When I read Tolstoy and Dickens in high school, loads of words and customs and concepts in their books were foreign to me. I
Punit
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice little medley of stories like a box of chocolates; some you like, some you don't.
My favourite picks: Rani Taxis Away, Blue, KL Trilogy, Milking Pen, Waiting
Marc Faoite
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
D. Biswas
Dec 20, 2016
Masrynna
Jan 28, 2016
Sharon Bakar
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Gwynedd
Oct 06, 2014
Dayang Noor
Jan 06, 2013
Reyna's Mom
rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2014
Hadi Nor
Dec 12, 2012
Atikah Wahid
Jul 13, 2016
Melanie Lee
Jun 06, 2014
Angeline Woon
Nov 27, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Prav
Nov 21, 2013
Ilaria Benini
Jul 03, 2014
Ted Mahsun
Jun 14, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: published-in
Siao
Mar 29, 2016
Sean
Apr 03, 2016
Bernice Chauly is the author of six books of poetry and prose: Once We Were There (2017, Winner of the Penang Monthly Book Prize), Onkalo (2013, “Direct, honest and powerful” —JM Coetzee), Growing Up With Ghosts (2011, Winner of the POPULAR-The Star Readers’ Choice Award for Non-Fiction), The Book of Sins (2008), Lost in KL (2008), and going there and coming back (1997).

Born in George Town, Penan

Readings from Readings (3 books)
  • Readings From Readings: New Malaysian Writing