Start by marking “Companions of the Night” as Want to Read:
Companions of the Night

Companions of the Night

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  5,483 Ratings  ·  385 Reviews
The romantic horror genre reaches a new level of complexity in this novel, which manages to be simultaneously thought-provoking and blood-curdling. Kerry becomes the unwitting accomplice of an attractive, mysterious boy on the run, only to discover that he is a vampire. Can she trust her feelings for someone so alien to her? Or has she been "seduced by the glamour of evil" ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published September 1st 1996 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Companions of the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Companions of the Night

Brittany (Nice Girls Read Books)

The first thing you must know is that this book was written before the 'Twilight' vampire hype swept YA novels and turned them into a predictable and boring genre. Companions of the Night is blissfully original.

Each page kept me so absorbed in the story, eager to finish it and find out the ending. When I'd finished the book, I was disappointed that it didn't go on for longer. I would love to see a sequel, though I think all hopes of that are basically dust by now.

The ending was bittersweet, b
Emma (Miss Print)
Vivian Vande Velde is basically my hero. She is a master at taking traditional fairy-tale-like themes and making them fresh and totally unique. Companions of the Night (1995) does that for the vampire story.

Kerry’s little brother, Ian, had a simple request: drive to the laundromat to retrieve Ian’s stuffed bear. Kerry knew all the reasons she should tell Ian no (she had a big test to study for, it was the middle of the night, she only had a driver’s permit and shouldn’t be in a car without a lic
Jackie "the Librarian"
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teen vampire fans
You want to read a GREAT teen vampire story? Forget Twilight. Well, try to, anyway. This is the one you should be reading. It's got a smart heroine who isn't particularly klutsy, vampires, danger, AND (bonus!) you get the whole story in ONE book!

It's late at night, but does Kerry get to climb into her comfy bed? Noooo, she's in charge of her little brother Ian for the evening, and HE left his teddy bear at the laundromat and can't sleep without it. She trudges back to the laundromat, and is sea
Zyra
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, vampire
what a original vampire book it is. kerry saves a vampire thinking he is human. in turn her family gets kidnapped for helping a vampire out. a simple trip to the laundry turns out to be, her start of the adventures with a vampire.
the best part was that the vampires are portrayed as they are supposed to be, blood sucking killers. it did not sugar coat the fact nor did it try to make them honorable or something as seen in most of the vampire books.
the annoying part was most of the book was kind
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Omigosh I wanted this to be good. I wanted this to be good so badly. I wanted something creepy. Look at that cover! It sure looks like a creepy book. Creepy YA Romance. YA Romance generally sucks, I know, but look at the cover! How can’t that be awesome?!

“Easy, my dear Anzu. The cover is awesome, true, but it is a mere metaphor. The shadow monster doesn’t necessarily have to be a shadow monster but a symbol for the darkness within a person. Duh.”

Well… yeah. That sucks.

Bleh meh meh bleh bleh ble
Emily Michelle
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't love vampire books, for the most part. The ones that I've read tend to be a little mindless, full of hot, leather-clad vampires and the humans who happily get sucked into their glamorous world of the night.

And that's why Companions of the Night is my favorite vampire book. It takes the typical elements of YA vampire fiction and examines them, then turns them on their heads. The usual components are there: teenage girl gets caught up in vampire world and develops an attraction to one of t
Amanda
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a great book, but I will say that I found the human/vampire relationship much more "realistic" (as if there is such a thing), than certain other teen vamp books published as of late.

By realistic, I mean, the vampires in this story were vampires. They had to drink blood and it had to be human blood and raiding the local blood bank wasn't going to cut it. That fact alone made the love story much more difficult to create.

I also appreciated the fact that the vampire was manipulative. And that
Sherwood Smith
This short, tight YA story about vampires has long been one of my favorites.
Shannon
Liviania
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People talk like we're living in an unprecedented age of vampire novels. But really, the vampire novel never went out of style after it was invented. The vampire young adult novel, however, is more popular than ever. Back when I was in junior high those of us who liked vampires had fewer options. And one of the most popular options was COMPANIONS OF THE NIGHT by Vivian Vande Velde.

I was already familiar with Velde when someone recommended COMPANIONS OF THE NIGHT to me. I liked her books, ever si
Bree
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
Some spoilers.
This vampire story was definitely unusual. The beginning was a little intense. I felt bad for Marsala. I'm not sure if he was good or bad. Maybe he was crazy, but if what happened to his son was true, then that explained it, but didn't excuse it. To sum it up, it left me feeling confused. There was a little romance between the main characters, but at the end it felt ambiguous, as it was intended to be. Would I recommend this story. Maybe. Give it a try if your looking for an unconv
Wealhtheow
Jul 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, fantasy, ya
One of the few really excellent vampire novels out there. The entire plot has so much common-sense and believability working for it, and the characters are so likeable, that I wish it was hundreds of pages longer.
Larissa
I ran across Vivian Vande Velde's (great) name in a list of popular teen vampire novelists and picked up Companions of the Night on a whim. I read it in about a day and really enjoyed it. The plot moves along at a quick clip, and while the characters do have a strong rapport, the romance element is not given much attention until the very last chapters. (Side note: I wasn't overwhelmed by these characters—they are certainly serviceable, but I didn't completely connect with them. Some of this is j ...more
Andrienne
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was suggested to me after I posted my review of Silver Kiss. I wanted another take on the human girl, vampire boy love story and this did not disappoint. I had to take away one star though for a couple of reasons. Towards the middle, the story lost steam in figuring out what happened to the girl's family. There were parts that seemed contrived; too much effort in inducing some emotions. It could also be that in the effort of the author to make it mysterious (which it was), it got to th ...more
cEe beE
THE best YA vampire book ever!!

Long before Stephanie Meyer came along and ruined vampire lore, before Vampire Academy, Diaries, and a host of others, Vivian Vande Velde wrote the perfect YA vampire novel.

COTN has a believable storyline and realistic characters. The vampire Ethan is charming, but he is devious and not to be trusted. 15 yr old Kerry has to help him hunt down a vampire hunter so she can find and save her father and little brother.

Like most of Vande Velde's books, this is a short
Oyceter
I really loved the vampires in this book; they actually feel like they've lived for quite some time, as opposed to psychologically being a high school student for centuries. I particularly loved the moral ambiguity of the book, that the threat to Kerry felt real and immediate, and the lack of romanticization. This is what a vampire-human relationship might work out if vampires were real.

Full review: http://oyceter.livejournal.com/628159...
Jina
Feb 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This vampire romance has a distinct undertone of violence and pulls you in from page one. Kerri is a 15 year old girl whose mother has left her, her brother, and her father for another man and another life. Their family is still trying to cope with the pain that brought and one of the main reasons that Kerri gives in to her brother's tears and goes to fetch his koala from the 24 hour laundry.

On her arrival she finds three men have beaten and tied up another man and are holding him hostage. They
Mary-Beth
Dec 15, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, romance
Now this is what I mean by a vampire novel. I'm still not sure I buy that the woman is *in love* with the vampire, but it's solved in this novel by the fact that Kerry is a teenager, much less naive than your average 16 yr old perhaps, but still a teenager and therefore prone to crushes and faulty judgement, not to mention that she spends the whole novel in a state of crisis and hyped up nerves and makes her declaration of love when she's just avoided a lot of danger. These are the circumstances ...more
Abby
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of those books that tries to skate by on mediocrity because it's written for teenagers. The main female character is flat and just a bit too cool and logical for a sixteen year old girl. I just didn't believe her. The main male lead, aka the vampire, is neither mysterious nor particularly engaging. There's so much more that it would have been interesting to learn about his life, his change, etc, but these things are glossed over in favor of the two characters driving around town and ...more
Kellie
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vivian Vande Velde, produced an excellent Vampire story without the usual clichés found in many YA books. Kerry is a likeable character who is willing to go through great lengths to save her family, with the help of Ethan. Ethan isn't the nice friendly vampire (found in certain YA Vampire series), he's cunning, ruthless and untrustworthy, but shades of humanity peek out when you least expect it.
Perhaps what I like most about Companions of the Night is the fact that Ethan doesn't reveal all, whi
Mara
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2
A very good YA with an original plot (this has been published in 1995), a smart heroine, a lying vampire out for blood, and monsters with human skin.

Each page kept me absorbed in the story, eager to finish the book, and find out what happened next. How refreshing that the book has an "open" ending: it's up to you imagining what happens after you turn the last page. This story has ended, but you may dream the rest of her life, if you wish to.

As I have often said I'm not a fan of YA, but I
Jamie Collins
I don't read a lot of YA fiction, but I liked this vampire novel aimed at pre-teens and young teenagers. (The cover art is admittedly terrible.) I'm not sure my son would care for it, but if I had a daughter I'd pass it on. It's just the sort of vampire story I like, where the vampire hovers somewhere between a good guy and a bad guy, and is attractive but not to be completely trusted. The heroine adopts a mostly practical approach to the vampire, and there's actually a bit of romance as opposed ...more
Stephanie
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this much more than I expected. The main character is smart and has agency. The vampire isn't watered down and there's definitely a sense of danger throughout the book.
Kira Simion
Companions of the Night is a novel about hunters, vampires, vengeance, and carjacking. A fun adventure I'm glad I picked up!

•The MC Kerry & Ethan/(view spoiler) were an intriguing par!

At times I felt annoyed at both, but as I considered the circumstances that brought them together (an almost murder and a murder), and their pasts, I felt bad for them in different ways and a little more understanding came into my heart.

(It turns out I still I have a heart. Glad it works
Lisa
I love me some open endings where you, as the reader, get to decide whether you think a character was a sincere, loving and misunderstood boy or a manipulative, evil vampire who just liked to fuck around with people.

I vote second.
Michael Selden
I liked the main character and even the main supporting character and the plot. I think this was more a YA story than I originally expected, but it is entertaining.
kyendwarrior
All of Vivian Vande Velde’s books NEED A SEQUEL. (PLEEEASE! :D)

So far I’ve read Dragon’s Bait and this one, and I need to know what happens to ALL OF THEM! DO THEY STAY TOGETHER? ARE THEY IN LOVE (well, in the case of Alys and Selendrile, there was a teensy weensy hint that they liked each other)?? I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AFTER!!

But I digress.
There will be another time to rant about the lack of sequels… another time…

So.

Everything (the world, the vampires, etc) is all explained in bits (no in
Ashley Davis
So, I don't know exactly how I feel about this book. I wanted to read it as study for my genre, so I got a sample. The sample was less than satisfying, with pretty simple writing (which is not bad in and of itself, unless you focus too closely on all the unnecessary wordage--I know about this better than anyone!--and the juvenile tone, but then again it's 3rd person on the shoulder of a 16 year old), but I wanted to see where it was going. I bought the kindle edition for $4.99 and read it in 3 d ...more
Elke
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a favour to her younger brother, Kerry drives to the laundromat at night to retrieve his forgotten teddybear. But suddenly the place is rushed by a gang bringing a young man with them who they claim is a vampire. To prove this, they intend to keep him there until sunrise and have him burned by the sunlight. Kerry does not believe them and helps the young man to flee. But soon she must discover that Ethan really is a vampire and now she has to decide wether he is a bloodthirsty monster or not. ...more
Eva
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really should have checked what I rated this last time before I re-read it. Vivian Vande Velde really...struggles with endings, I think. The pacing the entire book is so good, lots of good twists and turns that keep you guessing and engaged in the story and characters, minimal romance, good, good, good, and then you get to the end and it's like - wait, what? It was a triple cross all along? Since when? Also you never explained any backstory that wasn't instantly retconned by something else the ...more
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 4 May 02, 2018 09:03PM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED Pre Twilight Vamp Book [s] 5 139 Jan 05, 2013 07:04PM
  • Look for Me by Moonlight
  • The Silver Kiss
  • A Gathering of Gargoyles (Darkangel Trilogy, #2)
  • Midnight Predator (Den of Shadows, #4)
  • Moonshine (Zephyr Hollis, #1)
  • Thicker Than Water
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Creed, #1)
  • A Fistful of Sky  (LaZelle, #1)
  • Mexico, 1850 (Vampire Plagues, #3)
  • Sunshine
  • Team Human
  • By These Ten Bones
  • The Vampire...in My Dreams
  • Saltwater Vampires
  • The China Garden
  • The Night Wanderer
  • Daughters of Darkness (Night World, #2)
Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults.

Her novels and short story collections usually have some element of horror or fantasy, but are primarily humorous. Her book Never Trust a Dead Man (1999) received the 2000 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel. She says that she really likes to write for
More about Vivian Vande Velde

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“If you don't like vampire games, don't play” 59 likes