Start by marking “Coming Home” as Want to Read:
Coming Home

Coming Home

A brutally honest portrayal of the realities of war, this novel relays the story of 15year old Thomas Elkin as he engages in the First World War. A tale of conflict, both global and personal, and of redemption, this is a novel that has the potential to rank alongside the best of retrospective First World War literature. Accepting the blame for the accidental death of his ...more
Published November 2012 by Pen and Sword Books (first published October 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Coming Home, please sign up.
Darwin8u Here is the list of your "Bad Behaving Author Friends":

1. John Hanley - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.
2. Paul Cude - ranked Coming Home 1…more
Here is the list of your "Bad Behaving Author Friends":

1. John Hanley - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.
2. Paul Cude - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.
3. Dab10 - ranked Comign Home 1 of 1 - author of Karmic Krackers
4. Leonardo Ramirez - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.
5. Danielle DeVor - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.
6. Dianne Harman - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.
7. Melodie Ramone - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.
8. Elizabeth Marx - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.
9. Karen Prince - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.
10. Murielle Cyr - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.
11. Janna Yeshanova - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.
12. Jams N. Roses - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.
13. Shane K.P. O'Neill - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.
14. Rhonda Patton/Chester McDaniel - ranked Coming Home 1 of 1 - self-published.(less)

Start your review of Coming Home
mountainmama
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thomas is a 15-year-old English farm boy whose older brother, Archie, is an abusive jerk. During a confrontation, Archie is accidentally killed, and Thomas fakes his own death and assumes Archie’s identity as a cover, reporting for duty as a new recruit in WWI. From there, we follow Thomas as he attempts to assuage his guilt by trying to die in the battlefield to escape his conscience.

Mr. Stolworthy has a fabulous way with words – descriptions are vivid and emotions are real. The gruesome facts
Ann Roberts
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Roy Stolworthy is clearly a born writer. His first novel, COMING HOME, is an excellent story told with great verve. I would have enjoyed it more, but poor editing in the Kindle edition was distracting. A shame, as the battle scenes were brilliantly described. (I hope the problems have since been ironed out.)

The mud and horror of 1916 must have been overwhelming to raw recruits - just as they were for this reader. In my opinion, the battle scenes would have been even more effective had there been
Debbie
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a hard book to put down. I could really feel the turmoil and emotions of the main character. This book really drew you into the time period. If you like historical fiction revolving around war, I recommend this book.
James Buchanan
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well written, harrowing account of a young soldiers life in the first world war. Gruesome detail for a gruesome subject. How lucky we are to live in modern times.
Stephen Crabbe
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this novel because its description suggested a compelling story with a deep exploration of the psyche of a soldier in the cataclysm of World War One. I was not disappointed.

The protagonist goes to war voluntarily, under-age for the army but driven by guilt and fear to throw himself into danger at every opportunity. Because of a terrible event early in the narrative, he assumes his older brother’s identity, thus complicating his relationship with the military authorities, his
Amanda Coote
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read books set in the war but having been recommended this one I thought I'd give it a go....it was fantastic, I couldn't put the book down, it was so well written I was there with Thomas feeling his emotions from page to page. Highly recommended and can't wait to read another book written by this wonderfully talented author.
A film should be made from this book
Belle
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The storyline was great. The only thing I had a problem with was that sometimeshe crucial details were missed. An example is when Thomas came across Archie in the barn. What happened to Josie? No one knows. Also language is definitely a problem. Definitely not a book for children. If you want a book about the harsh realities of war, this is it.
Jason Evans

• Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
  • Initiation YA Edition
  • In Her Shadow
  • Roadkill
  • The Boy (Broussard and Fourcade, #2)
  • Shadows in the Water
  • The Crocodile Bird
  • Dein perfektes Jahr
  • Emily, Gone
  • What Came Before He Shot Her (Inspector Lynley, #14)
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • Grayson Manor Haunting (Addison Lockhart, #1)
  • Tommy St. James Books 1-3 (Tommy St. James Mysteries)
  • Unspeakable Things
After 9 nine years with Royal Air Force I worked in Middle East for five year. Returning to the UK I set up two concerns in magazine distribution and short term loans. I started to write four years ago.My first book 'Coming Home' accepted for TP is set during WW1 and selling very well with 70 reviews. I have since written five other books which I self published, they have met with a varying degree ...more