Start by marking “Mrs. Jeffries and the Best Laid Plans (Mrs. Jeffries, #22)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Jeffries and the Best Laid Plans (Mrs. Jeffries, #22)

Mrs. Jeffries and the Best Laid Plans (Mrs. Jeffries #22)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  433 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A friendless old miser, banker Lawrence Boyd, is found dead at home. Called to the scene, Inspector Witherspoon is lucky to have Mrs. Jeffries's help-since the list of suspects includes just about everyone Boyd's ever met.
Published May 1st 2007 by Berkley (first published April 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Jeffries and the Best Laid Plans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Jeffries and the Best Laid Plans

Carol
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one. Another fun book.
Amber
Jul 02, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a really enjoyable, quick read. Inspector Witherspoon is a successfull and respected murder investigator. What he doesn't know is that his housekeeper, Mrs. Jeffries, and his other household staff help him solve his cases by doing their own investigation and dropping him hints. This time, an unpopular banker dies, and Mrs. Jeffries and her team must help the inspector find the murderer before it's too late - and before his nemesis Nivens can take the case away from him.

I breezed throug
Barb Martin
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Mrs. Jeffries and the rest of Inspector Witherspoon's household staff, have their work cut out for them as they try to determine who murdered a man despised by everyone who knew him.

It has been a while since I've read one of these Victorian mysteries, so my detecting skills are rusty. I was slow to come up with the correct suspect, but I did pick up on a giant clue.

We've got news on the Betsy and Smythe wedding front, too. That news, though, won't leave everyone smiling.

Delightful as ever, Mrs.
Karen
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a fun, easy, enjoyable read. It is, however, more enjoyable if you don't think about the plot overly much.
Jennie
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy enjoyable read, as always. I like the group of characters. Cliff hanger at the end.
Drebbles
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007
Nobody is terribly upset when someone murders banker Lawrence Boyd - he had many enemies and no friends. The murderer tried to cover up the murder by setting fire to the studio where Boyd was painting, but the police quickly catch on and Inspector Gerald Witherspoon is assigned the case. There are a lot of suspects and it will take time to question them all, but Witherspoon needs to solve the case fast because his rival, Inspector Nigel Nivens, will do anything to discredit him. Luckily Withersp ...more
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Betsy & Smythe are in the midst of planning their wedding which is two months away but they & the rest of the household are bored.... It's not that want anyone to be murdered, but t hey sure long to get back to investigating....
Lawrence Boys was an unmitigated bugger, he ran a merchant's bank and was a popular amateur painter whose goal in life was to receive as many awards as humanly possible.... He jilted his fiancee in order to marry her sister (who was engaged to someone else), his h
Dharia Scarab
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Allan Krummenacker
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of this series for a long time and they keep being enjoyable. I love the ensemble cast of Inspector Witherspoon's house: the housekeeper who was married to a policeman, the cook, the maid, the footman, the coachman, and their American neighbor and her butler who all secretly help solve the murders the inspector is investigating.

We see these characters growing and developing with each new installment, as their lives change and new people enter their world, all without the inspect
Addison Public Library
Lawrence Boyd was a nasty, ill-tempered man. No one was very surprised when someone murders him. When Inspector Witherspoon is assigned the case, his household staff spring into action to unobtrusively help him. Inspector Nivens is hot on Witherspoon's trail to try to discredit him and the staff feel that someone is following them. Is it one of Niven's henchmen or is it someone from the past who wishes the Inspector harm?

KD 1-15

Check out this book today!
Mary O'Connor
I liked this book and the characters, but it's more and more awkward that Witherspoon is unaware that the servants are investigating, and that even Barnes is in the know. It seems like at this point they are so into secretly solving murders that they are doing Witherspoon a disservice - and he thinks he's more talented than he is. If I try to not think too hard about that while reading it is more enjoyable!
Mary Newcomb
Looking back over my recent reviews in my series I note that several of the most recent investigations have involved thoroughly unpleasant men as murder victims. While I can appreciate that this enhances the field of people who would be pleased to see him dead, this plot device does get old. That said, this victim is especially interesting because of his complexities of nastiness over many many years. The team is up to their usual excellent job of sorting out a tricky case.
Cheryl
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have read this series very haphazardly and tend to pick up installments whenever I come across them in used book stores and whatnot. It didn't take me long to realize that I had read this one before, but I couldn't remember whodunit or whydunit (since this was a dude everyone wanted to kill), so I just let myself enjoy re-reading it. The mystery was well done and the characters fabulous as always.
Marielle
Nov 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is slow going as previous books are constantly and excessively recapped. You figure out who the murderer is long before the characters in the book do, leaving you to wonder if they're idiots. It has a stupid cliff ending which could have been resolved if any of the characters had thought for a minute, however I suppose thinking about the murder wore them out.
Babs
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes detective stories
I love this victorian mystery series. The crew solved yet another murder and it was not who I expected which was a nice twist to things. The end of the book was a twister and did not know what to think at first will not give it away, but makes you want to get the next book and start reading right away which is what I did.
Lynda
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fun entry in the series where Inspector Witherspoon's household staff assists in his murder investigations, unbeknownst to him, of course. This time the victim is a man that everyone hates so the list of potential murderers is a long one. Good mystery . . . Enjoyable cast of characters.
Serena

May 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Absolutely dire.
Kris
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Like all her other books in the series.
Cindy
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: emily-brightwell
I think I need to start at the first of the series with this author. It it a good solid read and I like the characters....even if plot is predictable.
Chrysbander
A little wordy, but enjoyable and light enough to read when busy.
Harriette
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nothing like a cozy mystery to cheer me up. This did the trick.
Rdonn
Feb 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Another in this series, second I've read. They're a nice diversion snowy day, in-between more meaty books. Enjoyable.
Georgene
Murder most foul is the cause of the death of miserly banker. It's up to Mrs. Jefferies and her staff to find out who killed this most disliked man.
Judy
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Part of Mrs. Jeffries Serves Two. Restful cozy.
Carla
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
i loved it, as always with the series, and the ending! I don't know what to think!
Pamela Ennis
May 30, 2014
Kaye
Jul 28, 2009
Ann Baker
Dec 10, 2017
Mary
Jun 29, 2009
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Point of Honour (Mrs. Pargeter, #6)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • No Clue at the Inn (Pennyfoot Hotel #13)
  • A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)
  • The Crafty Teddy: A Bear Collector's Mystery
  • Father Knows Death (Stay At Home Dad Mysteries #3)
  • Murder Can Ruin Your Looks (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #2)
  • The Dead Hand of History (Monika Paniatowski, #1)
  • How to Marry a Murderer (Paige Turner, #3)
  • Wave Good-bye (Southern Beauty Shop, #4)
  • How to Survive a Killer Séance (Party Planning, #3)
  • Scones & Bones (A Tea Shop Mystery, #12)
  • Puzzled Indemnity (Puzzle Lady #16)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
Cheryl Lanham was born on 11 October 1948 in the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia, USA. Her family moved to Southern California in 1959 and she grew up in Pasadena. After graduating from California State University, she decided to work her way around the world and took off for England. She didn’t get much further because she met Richard James Arguile, the Englishman who became her husband, g ...more
More about Emily Brightwell

Mrs. Jeffries (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Dusts for Clues (Mrs. Jeffries, #2)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes Stock (Mrs. Jeffries, #4)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Ball (Mrs. Jeffries, #5)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail (Mrs. Jeffries, #6)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Plays the Cook (Mrs. Jeffries, #7)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Missing Alibi (Mrs. Jeffries, #8)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Stands Corrected (Mrs. Jeffries, #9)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes the Stage (Mrs. Jeffries, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Deliver Her
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Rain Girl (Franza Oberwieser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shuddering
  • The Unseeing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Sisterhood
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Good Neighbor
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms #18)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Free Fall (The John Ceepak Mysteries)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Interference
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • End of Secrets
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Only the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Has Landed (The Liam Devlin Novels)
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Halo Effect
  • The God's Eye View
  • What She Knew
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The 7th Victim: A Novel: Volume 1 (The Karen Vail Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • The Dante Club
  • Grit
  • Fatal Tide
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trinity Game (The Game Trilogy Book 1)
  • Live by Night
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Story
  • The Lost Girls
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Summer (Darling Investigations #1)
  • Depth of Lies
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Supreme Justice (Reeder and Rogers #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide Mystery #1)
  • Gone South