Start by marking “Safe House” as Want to Read:
Safe House

Safe House

When Rob Hale wakes up in hospital after a motorcycle crash on the Isle of Man, he is told that Lena, the woman he claims was travelling with him, doesn't exist. The woman he describes bears a striking resemblance to his recently deceased sister, Laura, but has he really only imagined her?

Convinced that Lena is real, Rob sets out to find the answers to who she is an
Published 2012 by Faber and Faber Crime

To ask other readers questions about Safe House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safe House

Start your review of Safe House
Chris
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Local plumber is called out to a remote country house on the Isle of Man. An old boiler in need of repair is involved and a wrench from his van also makes an appearance. But all is not what it seems...
Yes, it really is more exciting than that! It's a well-written and sometimes intense thriller. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
(Not to be confused with the Denzel Washington movie of the same name, where you won't find a plumber at any cost. But then I suspect you knew that)
Andy
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2014-trl
It is what it is, a solid crime story as a debut stand-a-lone thriller from Chris Ewan. Slightly better than most run-of-the-mill crime/thrillers but in reality a 3.5 rating I would give it. The characters are quite engaging, the plots decent & i quite like his style of writing & found myself reading a good 60-70 pgs at a time whilst i could bathed in glorious & no doubt harmfull gama-rays or some such new dangerous thing for mankind to be doing.....

I liked it.
SyaSya Syed Nasir
2.5 stars. Definitely not my cup of tea. I used to like it when I was 20. But..now...erkk...

Full Review Click Here
ReadandRated
Synopsis: When Rob Hale wakes up in hospital after a motorcycle crash he is told that Lena, the woman he claims was travelling with him, doesn't exist. The woman he describes bears a striking resemblance to his recently deceased sister, Laura, but has he really only imagined her?

Rob sets out to find the answers to who Lena is and where she has gone. He is aided by Rebecca Lewis, a London-based PI, who has come to the Isle of Man at the behest of his parents to investigate his sister'
Jess
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book read from my Kindle <3 That was an exciting experience. It was definitely the right choice of book to read; perhaps not very festive but pretty gripping nonetheless.

It was intense from the start, hooking you straight into the crazy story line and the adventure our hero was about to enbark on. The writing style was plain and simple, but i think this was an advantage; with such a heavy story line you want it to be an easy read, unlike a lot of other crime novels. Every character was
November Is Nyarlathotep The Haunted Reading Room
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to November Is Nyarlathotep by: NetGalley
Shelves: may-2012-reads
“Safe House” is a rather convoluted mystery with an intriguing background and backdrop. Set on the Isle of Man-a location which is basically unknown to many readers, but delightful to discover-this novel hits the ground racing and doesn’t stop ever. Rob, a heating/plumbing small businessman, accepts a job in an isolated rural area. The cottage’s residents seem odd to him, but he dismisses that until one of them, a blond calling herself Lena, asks him to give her a scenic ride on his motorbike. R ...more
Urbansurfer
With conspiracy stories it helps to have something worthy of being uncovered by the main character. In this case, it was Who-cares?! The atmospheric setting could not overcome a poor choice for the voice of this story.

A dare devil, motorcycle-riding plumbing and heating serviceman.....ooohhh now that really is different. But his dog had more of a personality. And then the attractive female private detective brought in to assist, hates dogs. and the tension is established! Will she, won't she...
Sarah Vecchi
Meh. I was pretty turned off by this book. The main female protagonists are consistently described in terms of their appearance and hotness. I lost count of the number of times their long legs were described or their shirts hiked up to reveal skin when they were reaching for something. It felt like the author just imagined his ideal of an attractive women, described their appearances ad nauseam, but failed give them personalities at all. The only other woman introduced in any detail, a police de ...more
D.J.
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given an audio book version of Safe House to help me pass the time whilst recovering from major surgery. It certainly worked, as this book is very absorbing and all too plausible. I particularly liked how the author kept bringing the dog Rocky into it in significant ways. One minute I'm thinking "yuck, wet dog hair” and the next I realise the author’s cleverness and how I have been set up good and proper as a reader. Great attention to detail! The only negative I found was that due to the ...more
Sean Randall
I don't know what I was expecting from this but £0.20 for my debut of a well-reviewed author seemed worthwhile. I wasn't disappointed, but nor was I very impressed. It seemed to be an average run-of-the-mill thriller, with clues so random only the main character would understand them but so obvious that a reader needn't bother thinking about them too much. The only real thing this one had going for it was its location, but even that was used - overused, in fact - to help the plot along. I wouldn ...more
Jackie
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Had to keep reminding myself who was who throughout the book. I don't think this was through any fault or confusion brought on by the writing but more to do with the fact that this book just didn't do anything for me or hold my attention very well. 2.5-3 stars.
Penni
Apr 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give it 3 out of 5 stars. I found it intriguing and well written and it kept my interest all the way through, I liked the characters and felt myself drawn to them and hating the BAD guys! willing the good guys to get even etc.

It is not a book I would rave about telling everyone I know that they MUST read it etc however but it is a good entertaining read and kept me going until the end. the last 155 pages were the most page turning to me and I read them in one sitting.
Lisa Wightman
Did really enjoy this book, had a little trouble keeping track of who's on who's side though... I am on strong painkillers at the moment so could very well be that rather than the authors fault!
Mark Elvy
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not very often that I've enjoyed a book like this, and I can't really explain why, but I just loved it. Simple. The writing style was catching and engaging, the plot was great and characters superb, 10/10
Lucio
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book with a few unexpected twists. Took a while for me to get into it, but thoroughly enjoyed the investigation and the brutal fight scene descriptions ☺ ...more
Rachel Amphlett
3.5 out of four - loved the TT references!
Luanne Ollivier
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing premise and a reader that I really like = one good listen. That was the winning combination with Chris Ewan's book Safe House and Simon Vance's narration.

Safe House opens up with a great opening gambit. Plumber Rob Hale is doing some heating work at an isolated house. Lena - the young woman staying there - asks to go for a ride on his motorcycle. But, they crash. Rob wakes up in the hospital and one of his first questions is 'How is Lena '? And the answer is unexpected
Francesca
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Well I didn't come out of this book feel overwhelmingly impressed. It's a very typical small town mystery story where in the end it turns out to be an international conspiracy. Which, surprisingly, has been done over and over again. The women are flat characters and the specific details about their movements and clothes scream out "written by a man!" The police seem to switch sides every other chapter and I really struggled to work out which kidnappers were good guys and who the bad kidnappers w ...more
Aunty Janet
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thriller based in the Isle of Man which reminded me of Linwood Barclay's books. Lots of twists and turns and gripping in parts.
''When Rob Hale wakes up in hospital after a motorcycle crash he is told that Lena, the woman he claims was travelling with him, doesn't exist. The woman he describes bears a striking resemblance to his recently deceased sister, Laura, but has he really only imagined her? Rob sets out to find the answers to who Lena is and where she has gone. He is aided by Rebecca
Ian
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyable little undemanding murder mystery/spy thriller that takes in all the sights that the Isle of Man has to offer. That'll be the Laxey Wheel and the roads used for the TT races plus Douglas then. No visit to or even mention of Mark Cavendish's house though. Some nice twists along the way as Rob Hale, just a short time after the suicide of his sister, awakens in hospital bed after a motorbike accident to be told that Lena, his pillion passenger may just be a figment of his imagination brou ...more
Dan
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd have given this book 4.5 stars if I could. Having bought it from the Kindle store for 20p, I wasn't sure what to expect, but this book really delivered. From the seemingly mundane event of a broken boiler at a remote cottage, the plot twists and winds its way to an exciting finale at a speed that mirrors the Isle of Man TT course. Most of the action takes place on the Isle of Man, where plumber Rob is drawn into a previously unknown world where people will stop at nothing to get what they wa ...more
Louise
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marie Knock
This was an odd read for the reason that I felt myself as equally bored as intrigued throughout the story.

I feel that it might have a little too many characters in it - so much so, that very few are explored in any real depth.

I feel the author also took too much time explaining the Isle of Man and its environment - necessary in some cases, but more often than not it felt a little like a tourism plea in places.

It's readable - and there are some interesting plot twists - b
Kimbofo
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could trot out the usual terminology — fast-paced, gripping, action-packed — to describe Chris Ewan's Safe House, but this novel is slightly more than that. This is a highly intelligent thriller, one that is filled with so many twists and turns in the plot it's impossible to guess the ending. I read it lounging by a swimming pool in Rhodes and loved every minute of its octane-fuelled narrative.

To read the rest of my review, please visit my blog.
Nicki
This is a very well written and crafted book. It hooked right from the first page, and kept me glued for the few days it took me to read it. I liked the main character Rob who gets involved by chance in the beginning, or so it seems. Lots of twists and turns and shady characters, that you don't know if you can trust or not. It kept me guessing for a long time, making it a very satisfying read. I will definitely read other books by this author.
Donna
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I started this book quite some time ago but it didn't grab me at first but after a recent visit to the IoM I decided to give it another go and this time I really enjoyed it, mainly due to the fact that I could visualise some of the places described in the story.

I did feel though that there were too many characters in the story and at times it got a little confusing but all in all an enjoyable read. I'm glad I gave it another chance as I quite liked the style of writing.
Laura Turner
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
What an amazing thrill ride to read. I really enjoyed the unusual style of jumping between first and third person - it made it clear straight away exactly who's dialogue you were reading.

The overall plot was obvious in places but the way the plot unfurled left you wanting to keep reading, and the characters were quire believable.

A FREE bargain for the Kindle from Amazon ... thanks Amazon as I am now off to find some more of Chris Ewan's books.
Graham
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Thought it would be a standard "murder/body in gritty (usually rural) region, where events uncover a past that should have have been left buried", but to my surprise it was one of the best thrillers i've read in years. Well written, well paced & characters you are rooting for. It literally had me on the edge of my seat. The perfect thriller. And only 20p on kindle.
Fay D
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Downloaded this whilst 20p on kindle, never read anything by the author and was keen to try something a bit off kilter from my usual books. I was not disappointed!!! This book had me hooked from the start and has so many twists & turns I feel I've been on a roller coaster!!! Great suspense and really does keep you guessing until the very end!!
Shaun
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well written with enough twists and turns to keep the story moving. The book combines well rounded characters and a beautifully painted setting. The switching between first and third person narrative could have been its undoing, but it worked well in this instance.

• Thursdays in the Park
  • Schnitt
  • The Dark Winter (Aector McAvoy, #1)
  • Monday to Friday Man
  • Disappear
  • The Legacy (Legacy, #1)
  • The Half-life of Hannah
  • Ryan's Return
  • The Killing House (Malcolm Fletcher, #1)
  • In a New York Minute
  • Dead America
  • University Challenge
  • Jeremy's Choice (The Peeling, #1)
  • Watch Over Me
  • Promise (Soul Savers, #1)
  • Beckoning Light (The Afterglow Trilogy, #1)
  • The Rose of Sebastopol
  • A Face in the Crowd (Prime Suspect, #2)
Writing as C.M. Ewan, my latest thriller is A WINDOW BREAKS.

I'm also the author of the popular GOOD THIEF'S GUIDE TO ... series of mysteries about globetrotting crime writer and thief-for-hire, Charlie Howard. The series has been praised as "crime writing at its best" (Sydney Morning Herald) and a "delightful series" (The Seattle Times) and comprises THE GOOD THIEF'S GUIDE TO AMSTERDAM
“Tea. Of course. This was what the English always offered you. It” 1 likes
“But the light of triumph glimmered deep within them. A victory. Just a small one. She was radiant with it.” 0 likes