Start by marking “Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1)

Nefertiti's Heart

(Artifact Hunters #1)

Cara Devon has always suffered curiosity and impetuousness, but tangling with a serial killer might cure that. Permanently.

1861. Cara has a simple mission in London – finalise her father’s estate and sell off his damned collection of priceless artifacts. Her plan goes awry when a killer stalks the nobility, searching for an ancient Egyptian relic rumoured to hold the key
Published February 14th 2013 by Curiosity Quills Press (first published February 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Nefertiti's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nefertiti's Heart

Start your review of Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1)
A.W. Exley
Nov 22, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, gaslamp
I wrote it, so I'm kinda biased :)
An ancient artefact, a kick arse heroine, a serial killer & a bad boy Viscount, sexiness, airships and pirates - what more could you want?
Anne Odom
Quick warning - this book contains triggers for those who have experienced physical and sexual abuse.

Overall, the book is a fun read if you enjoy a romance with a pushy male lead who swoops in and rescues the female lead in her times of duress. If you are more of a "female-kicks-ass" fan, you might not like this tale so much.

What I liked
-------------------
* The steampunk world - well crafted with many creative mechanical elements subtly included in the regular every-day way of things.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Don’t be fooled by the description for this book. It has little to do with steampunk or mystery and everything to do with romance. I don’t like romance so it was a big turn off for me. I was expecting a fun steampunk adventure with a strong female character but what I got was LOTS of romance. Talk about being misled!

The sexual content of the book should definitely be mentioned in the description and I really think no book depicting the repeated rape and beating of an underage child should come
Steven
I took a chance requesting this one from Netgalley, and it was WELL worth it.

This is a fun romp through a Victorian-era London, with the steampunk technological twist. Likeable characters, an intriguing mystery, and a vividly described (and brought to life) world made this a 5 star for me.

Cara Devon's father was NOT a good man. At the age of 14, after some seriously rotten events (that are revealed over the course of the book), Cara bolts and doesn't return until 7 years later after the death of
Sh3lly
May 24, 2014 marked it as to-read
Free on Kindle: July 23, 2016. Apparently, this is steampunk lite and heavy on the romance, with some possibly controversial topics. Read my friend Sarah's review to see if you may be put off by it. I'm a masochist when it comes to books, so I'm going to give it a try. What can I say.
Beth
Cara Devon has suffered her father’s whims and paid a horrible price. Now he’s dead and she must reface her past, return to London and the society that sat idle and watched while she was so badly misused. She is a survivor. She escaped her abuse and nothing will get in her way now. Cara is determined to sell off all her father’s precious collection and leave London and her past behind her forever.

Viscount Nathaniel Lyons wants Cara’s artifacts. He wasn’t prepared for the spit fire that shot his
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
AMMP Buddy Read with Venecia & Preethi!

So I admit I skimmed a bit toward the 2/3 mark. Maybe part of it was because I'd put the book down for a few days in order to read Fairest, but I think it had already lost some of my interest before that point, unfortunately. The romance didn't interest me at all; I'd gone into this book expecting something akin to an Indiana Jones adventure with a bit of steampunk thrown in, and the book seemed unable to decide whether it wanted to be that with a
Christmas Carol ꧁꧂
I lurk over at the Goodreads Writer's Group every now & again & I was impressed with some of A.W's comments & her attitude to writing. & she is a Kiwi - bonus. & this particular book was free on my Kindle - for the win!

I liked the realisation of a very different Victorian England & the story itself was a fast paced read. In spite of her horrific past I never became fond of Cara & found some of her actions & motivations bizarre. I did quite like Nate though.

I've
Marijan
I'm not sure how to rate this book. First half was interesting, the romance didn't get in the way too much, and then...there was too much romance,not enough adventure and mystery was solved too quickly. I guess 3.5 going on 3.
it is a well researched and skillfuly written book, though.
AudibleBlerd
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting 19th Century Mystery

This book had a lot of different elements (steam punk, adventure, "archeology," etc.), but overall it was a murder mystery. I found the story very enjoyable, though it did read a bit like a Mary Higgins Clark novel. That is, I knew who the killer was halfway through the story and the loose ends information was given via character explanation at the end of the book.
Katie Sue
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. It took me a while to get hooked because the author is building the world and characters in this book.

I feel like a comparable book to this one would be “Stalking Jack the Ripper by Karri Maniscalco”. Stalking Jack the Ripper has more of creep factor to it but I feel the characters in Nefertiti’s Heart are more likable- Just my personal opinion.

I took a liking to Cara from the first chapter and just liked her more and more throughout. I thought this book would be all
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I THINK THIS IS ONLY THE SECOND STEAMPUNK BOOK I HAVE READ AND I LOVED IT. I ACTUALLY HAD IT ON MY CURRENTLY READING SHELF A FEW DAYS BEFORE READING IT. NEEDLESS TO SAY I STARTED IT YESTERDAY AND COULD HARDLY PUT IT DOWN! I FINISHED IT TONIGHT.
I LOVE THE CHARACTERS, THE STORYLINE, ROMANCE AND GRUESOME PARTS ALL IN ONE BOOK. I HAVE NOT READ A BOOK LIKE THIS BEFORE AND LOOK FORWARD TO READING MORE IN THIS SERIES. I THINK ALL FANS OF THIS GENRE WILL LOVE IT!
Jaid
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I was very torn about how I felt about this book. I enjoyed the murder mystery aspects immensely. I also was very intrigued by the way author weaves in aspects of Steam Punk Fantasy without letting it bog down descriptive narrative. An unfortunate failing in many steam punk or sci-fi novels in my opinion. The story line is creative and has just enough twists to keep you hooked without becoming garbled. Over all a thoroughly entertaining murder mystery in a unique setting.

Where I get very
Jess
I was very disappointed by Nefertiti's Heart. I had it on my GR wishlist for MONTHS and then specifically bought it to read on holiday and it was such a letdown. Although the book was not as awful as Phoenix Rising (the comparison is inevitable, I'm afraid), it ended up being still rather uninspired. The plot was was serviceable as I was reading but pretty forgettable afterwards.

This review summarizes all my issues with the story quite nicely - I find it unbelievable that a heavily traumatised
Feminista
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: steampunk
Writing style was not too impressive. A bit abrupt...

The plot was also unrealistic. The heroine was supposed to be this strong woman with an abusive past. But then she becomes weak for the hero. The first time she visits the hero at his home, a near stranger to her, he tells her to take a bath and change her clothes and she does, with no resistance. She tells herself she needs a bath. Well maybe don't take it in a stranger's home.
Bill Tillman
Oh this tale started out so very well, only to fall into adult sexuality. Not my cup of tea, but really great steampunk.
Catharine Glen
NEFERTITI’S HEART is one of those books I knew I’d enjoy from the very first chapter. It was a wonderful mix of fun and dark, with an engaging writing style and well-paced plot that kept me wanting to read more.

Exley writes colorful, developed characters. Cara is a strong heroine who goes against the societal grain. In a way, so does Nathaniel, with his questionable and perhaps not entirely legal dealings. Both have dark pasts that helped connect them. Though their relationship seemed a bit too
Amy
Edited on May 22, 2015
After reading The Iron Duke, and seeing how much more inclusive a steampunk romance can be, I had to come back here and change my rating from a 4 to a 3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I vacillated between giving this 2 stars and 4. Obviously, the higher rating won out.

There are things about this book that can absolutely make a reader hate it. Things like a magic penis that (view spoiler)
Diantha Jones
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ORIGINALLY POSTED TO DJ'S BOOK CORNER

Steampunk is quickly becoming one of my favorite genres. I’d had my eye on this book on Amazon for months (look at that beautiful cover!), so when the author appeared on the Masquerade Crew site, I was like WHAAAA??? Let me get Nefertiti’s Heart! She gave it to me, and I tried to hold off, but like I said, I’ve been eyeballing this book for forever.

The beginning is intriguing and I immediately liked the main character, Cara. From the jump, we learn that she’s
Lauren
Neferitit's Heart
4 Stars

After the death of her father, Cara Devon inherits his collection of priceless artifacts. Her plan is to locate and sell the hidden antiquities, but soon discovers that she is not the only one searching for them. A deranged killer is hunting amongst the daughters of the nobility for an ancient Egyptian relic rumored to hold the key to immortality and Cara realizes that she must find it before she becomes the next victim.

An entertaining mix of mystery, romance and
Stephanie Kaye (In Wonderland)
This review was originally posted on In Wonderland My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this book! I was a little hesitant to pick it up for reasons I will never understand but I am so glad I did because I thoroughly enjoyed this and am really itching to get to the rest of this series!

Things that I really enjoyed:

All of the Egyptian-ness within it! It was great to hear about some of these artifacts and the Egyptian elements were wonderful!
I really loved the mystery that went with this. It wasn't
Ella Carmichael
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It passed my 2 main criteria. It was enjoyable, and it kept me hooked right up to the final word. I really like the lead characters, and they are portrayed in such a way that the reader genuinely wants them to succeed. I found the romance a little off-putting, but that's because a) it was unexpected and b) I am not what one might describe as a true romantic. There is such sizzling heat between the main characters that it's not advisable for anyone who has just been through a breakup to read ...more
Robyn
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I enjoyed this but thought it was a bit thin. That being said, I know it's a series so quite a bit of time ended up being spent on character & world building. I enjoyed Cara as a heroine but didn't think she was entirely believable (and I think her past would be difficult for some readers). Nonetheless, it was witty and I suspect I'll plunge back into the series at some point. 3.5 stars.
Ludovica
This book is a hard one to review. It has some very nice parts to it, and I honestly have to say that I enjoyed reading it, once I started ignoring about half of what was going on in it. I am not a very critical reader, but for the sake of this blog, I have to be a critical reviewer, and for this reason, I wasn’t really able to give this book more than 2 stars.

Let’s start with the most critical element of any piece of historical fiction: the historical part.

IS IT A BIRD? IS IT A PLANE? NO – IT’S
Amanda
Jul 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dragana
First thing that attracted me to Nefertiti's Heart was the title. You may not know, but I am crazy about Egyptian history and mythology, so as soon as I heard Nefertiti - I had to read it. The second thing that I liked was the cover art. That steampunk heart looked so awesome, I just had to know how A.W. Exley merged steampunk and Egypt into one. Robot-mummy Nefertiti? One can only hope. :)

My realistic expectations that I will like Nefertiti's Heart were, honestly, pretty low. I never heard
Gail Koger
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining

I'm not a big fan of stream punk novels, but I really enjoyed this one. A feisty heroine, a hot hero and a great story. What more could you want
Rebecca
Jan 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read half of this book, which was at least 25% more than it deserves. I always feel a little bad about leaving harsh reviews, but in recognition of the author's effort, I can at least offer my honest reaction instead of sugar coating it. The premise seemed interesting.

The heroine is ostensibly a well educated, higher class lady from Victorian London but she talks and thinks like a vapid 2010's teenager, which is all the more irritating and ridiculous because the author chose to dump her
Lee Dunning
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Huge disclaimer here - I don't like romance. Flirting is okay, and a quick hook up, but then lets get back to the real story. I'm not fond of endless pages of moaning and groaning and gasps of pleasure. So, take that into account when you look at my rating - 2.5 stars. This book is chock full of romance and sex and I picked it up looking for Indiana Jones-ish adventure.

The cover of the book is what initially grabbed my attention. I think it's simply gorgeous, depicting the artifact, Nefertiti's

• Thunder Hunter (Viking Soul #1)
  • Chosen (The Djinn Wars, #1)
  • The Prisoner's Key (Glass and Steele, #8)
  • Dead Rising (The Templar, #1)
  • Taken (The Djinn Wars, #2)
  • Fallen (The Djinn Wars, #3)
  • The Last Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #1)
  • The Cheater's Game (Glass and Steele #7)
  • Black Annis: Demon Hunter (Revenge of the Witch, #1)
  • Twice Upon A Time (The Celtic Legends, #1)
  • Revenge of the Barbary Ghost (Lady Anne Addison Mysteries, #2)
  • The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1)
  • Sorceress Awakening (Gargoyle and Sorceress, #1)
  • Wolves (I Bring the Fire, #1)
  • The Ink Master's Silence (Glass and Steele, #6)
  • Bloodless Assassin (The Viper and the Urchin, #1)
  • Miss Mabel's School for Girls (The Network Series, #1)
  • The Golden Spider (Elemental Steampunk Chronicles, #1)
Books and writing have always been an enormous part of my life. I survived school by hiding out in the library, with several thousand fictional characters for company. At university, I overcame the boredom of studying accountancy by squeezing in Egyptology papers and learning to read hieroglyphics.

I write historical fantasy novels from my home in rural New Zealand.

Artifact Hunters (5 books)
  • Hatshepsut's Collar (Artifact Hunters, #2)
  • Nero's Fiddle (Artifact Hunters #3)
  • Moseh's Staff (Artifact Hunters #4)
  • Nessy's Locket (Artifact Hunters, #5)
“Are we immortal?" he paused in his exploration of her skin.

Mischief shone in her eyes. "Want me to shoot you and find out?”
11 likes
“do you tell if someone is immortal?” she whispered. “You kill them, and see if they get up again,” he answered, always pragmatic.” 4 likes