Start by marking “Hope of the Pharaoh (KIYA Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hope of the Pharaoh (KIYA Trilogy, #1)

Hope of the Pharaoh

(KIYA Trilogy #1)

When Naomi’s sisters are snatched up to be taken to be wives of the erratic Pharaoh, Akhenaten, she knows they won’t survive the palace, so she offers herself in their place. The fearsome Commander Horemheb sees her courage, and knows she is exactly what he is looking for…

The Great Queen Nefertiti despises Naomi instantly, and strips her of her Hebrew lineage, including he
Published April 28th 2013 by Curiosity Quills Press

Start your review of Hope of the Pharaoh (KIYA Trilogy, #1)
Jewel

This review is for a free copy of the book courtesy of Curiosity Quills via NetGalley

This book was historically inaccurate, so please if you don't know anything about the period don't rely upon this one.

the author chose for her story the Amarna Period, which is a period that the successors of Akhenaton attempted to wipe out of history, destroying the city and the temples, carving out the Pharaoh's name and that of his wife, Nefertiti, moving their mummified bodies into unmarked tombs, m
Jessa Russo
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I was the Acquisitions Editor for this book.

I can't even begin to tell you how wonderful this book is.

The female lead, Naomi, is strong and powerful, and doesn't back down. She's exactly what we all want to see in fiction, but didn't feel anything like the author was forcing her to be someone she wasn't. Her actions were always believable and fitting.

The love in this book isn't limited to one couple - in fact, love is shown to us in so many different people throughout KIYA. Differe
Jana Brown
As the new year has begun I've been making an effort to clear off some of the many free and inexpensive books off my Kindle list. Some of them have just been dumped entirely because whatever caught my eye in the first place no longer holds true and the others I'm trying to give a read and review before deciding if they stay or go.

With that long explanation Kiya: Hope of the Pharaoh is a book I've looked at several times, but hadn't picked up until recently. I decided that I wanted something a li
Miranda
4.5 stars!

I simply adored this book! Ms. Hamstead did an amazing job writing about ancient Egypt and keeping the plot and characters interesting until the very end. It's written in first person narration.

photo a5c80fd5-214c-4097-89c7-f15d5c1a1241_zpsc074f24d.jpg

Kiya, also known as Naomi, is an interesting heroine. Her character shines throughout the story and she strong willed. She's also a Hebrew. Pharoah’s commander Horemheb tries to take her sisters to become concubines, Naomi offers to go in their place. She soon is renamed Kiya.

I couldn't help
Cassandra Page
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book blew me away! I've always been interested in Egyptology but never a student of it (if that makes sense), and I usually find historical fiction dusty and dull. But "Kiya" is the sort of character-driven story that keeps you turning the pages until there aren't any more, and then you wonder when the sequel is coming out. It has enough historical detail in there to set the scene but not so much that you're bogged down in it and lose sight of the story.

There's romance, intrigue, betrayal,
Summer
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-faves
Words cannot describe how much I adore this book and the series (I'm well into book 3). I've always loved stories of ancient Egypt and their history fascinates me, so I was eager to try KIYA. Once I started reading, I could not put this down! Naomi/Kiya, is a strong, smart strong young woman who faces many challenges and stands up for her beliefs. She is reserved and cautious at just the right times, yet powerful when she stands up for herself and others. I found myself cheering for her every ti ...more
Tierra
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Didnt stop reading all night! Couldnt put my kindle down for a minute. Drama, intrigue, love, murder and mystery. It gets better at the end too!
Thom Swennes
May 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
The young Hebrew girl Naomi volunteers to become one of Pharaoh Akhenaton’s (1380 BC – 1334 BC) wives in order to spare her sisters from being taken in her stead. With almost a hundred wives and even many more royal concubines, life in the royal palace is very hectic. I can imagine that the domestic pressures could have a role in the Pharaoh’s early death at forty-six. Pharaoh Akhenaton’s first wife, Nefertiti (1380 BC – 1336 BC) causes consternation within the royal household. Just prior to the ...more
Minni Mouse
2.5 stars and DNF at 39% because this was so young adult and juvenile that I couldn't handle it. Maybe I completely misinterpreted the marketing for this book, but I thought this would be a historical fiction about Ancient Egypt, right? Something along the lines that Kate Quinn or Michelle Moran would write with its rich historical interpretations. Instead, this was maybe one step higher than the juvenile annoyance that was Reawakened.

THE GOOD
The plot flowed quickly.

THE BAD
The more I writ
Jamie Ayres
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So, Hamstead started right in the action. The story begins with Naomi, a Jew, who offers herself instead of her sisters to be taken as the Pharaoh's concubine. From there, the plot unfolds. Danger, desire, decision . . . KIYA (the new name Naomi is forced to take) has it all! And it was nice to read about another young heroine with moral standards who stuck to her guns, no matter what the cost, in order to protect those around her.

The only thing I didn't like about the story was the villain, Nef
AnaPIN
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely recommend this story. If you want a good read with the mix of history, love, Egypt and a smart heroine, this story is for you.

The blurb:
To save her younger sisters from being taken to the cruel life of the palace, Naomi intervenes and gives herself to be a wife of the erratic Pharaoh Akhenaten.
In the palace, Naomi finds herself thrust into the intrigues of the royal family, and has her name changed to Kiya. She becomes beloved by the Pharaoh, who declares that she will bear him his
Savindi
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, young-adult
Cover Gushing Worthiness: I’m going to be honest, I really don’t like the cover of this book. It’s quite tacky and reminds me of a B Movie poster. I think when you have ancient Egypt as a premise in a book, you’d be able to create a beautiful cover. Final verdict on the cover: a thumbs down from me.

Review:
Yes, little princess, I can see your future. In fact, today it begins with a brave choice. Your choice will shape the course of this land, and although many may try to erase your legacy
Leigh Collazo
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it

More reviews at Mrs. ReaderPants.

REVIEW: Okay, I had no idea that King Tut's lineage was a mystery among historians. I thought Nefertiti was his indisputable mother, and I had no idea there was any doubt about that. Doing a little research after I read the book, I found that while DNA evidence supports the pharaoh Akhenaten as King Tut's father, his mother's identity is less certain. Kiya takes that uncertainty and runs with it, serving up a page-turning story about a lesser-known "mother" for K
Carrie Slager
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
[Full disclosure: I received a free ebook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

First off, please don’t judge Kiya: Hope of the Pharaoh by the tacky cover. The story is so much better, I promise.

Since so little is known about the real Kiya (we don’t even know if she really was Tutankhamun’s mother), I’m willing to suspend my disbelief at the premise of her being Hebrew. Okay, fair enough. Most theories place her as Nubian, but they’re just theories and I thought the whole premise of N
Donna
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you have any interest in Ancient Egyptian history, do yourself a favor and read this book.

Kiya, born a Hebrew named Naomi, is chosen to be the wife of Akhenaten. Chosen to provide him the son he needs to carry on his kingdom. She is a wonderfully strong female lead. You will fall in love with her. She is beloved of Akhenaten and reviled by Nefertiti. She faces everything thrown at her with grace and dignity. I can't stress enough how amazing a character Kiya is.

For those unfamiliar with Ancie
Farrah
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Talk about a historical epic! KIYA portrayed the era of Akhenaten perfectly, with a famous cast of characters and a deeper look into one of the unsung heroes of the time.

I loved Kiya's character. She's only known in history as the mother of King Tut and this book made her into a real, remarkable person. She was incredibly strong and very admirable. Honestly, the only thing I can say about her is that she was totally awesome.

There was a side note of romance that served more as great development f
Sharon Bayliss
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
In Kiya, Hope of the Pharaoh, Egyptian soldiers visit a Hebrew village to find a new wife for the Pharaoh. The Egyptians desire one of Naomi's younger sisters, but Naomi bravely volunteers herself in order to protect her sisters' virtue. When she arrives at the palace, she continues to show strength and bravery, as she stands up for the other wives and concubines, fights the tyrannical first wife, and stays true to her religious beliefs despite threat of death.

I usually do not read historicals,
K.A. Last
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, read-2013
I’ve never been partial to historical fiction, romance or otherwise. From what I have read in the past, I find it tedious and a little boring, with too much emphasis on setting and explanation about historical events.

KIYA: Hope of the Pharaoh was neither tedious, nor boring!

Hamstead has effortlessly woven history into fiction, and I found myself enthralled from the very first page.

The character development in this novel is amazing. Kiya is a strong heroine. She is loyal, brave, and headstrong—w
Ann M. Noser
I waited FAR too long to read this book. It sat in my TBR pile for ages (along with a heck of a lot of other books). As soon as I read the first page, I was swept in. This is an engaging, fast read. The MC is very endearing (although at times a bit dense -- but I won't give away spoilers). Taking this as a historical romance (and not a PBS documentary on Egypt) I realize that perhaps some of the many details aren't 100% accurate of the time period, but I enjoyed the sprinkling of what I expect i ...more
Reeda Booke
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This story depicts Kiya as being a Hebrew and taken from her people to be one of Akhenaten's wives in hope that she will bear him a son and heir to the throne. Along the way she must try to outwit her fearsome rival and great wife, Nefertiti; has a secret crush for a palace guard and a friendship with Horemheb who might have ulterior motives. All this while trying to stay true to her heritage and staying one step ahead of the plots to get rid of her.

I enjoyed the way the story was written and I
James Wymore
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book! I've long been a fan of Ancient Egypt. This charming historical fiction really digs into the politics of being one of many wives. While it has plenty of loving going on, it's done as tastefully as possible for the subject matter. I appreciate it not being done as a romance, which would have made it unbearable.

I enjoyed the story from the beginning. It is a gem of historical fiction, centering heavily on the characters and setting them against a modern parallax which drew me in a
El
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
As someone that has always been iterested in Ancient Egypt and studied the art of the Amarna period, I was very curious to see how Katie Hamstead would take this story. I was pleasantly surprised and had to finish this book as soon as possible!

I really enjoyed her incorporation of known elements and the way she weaved them into her story. Of course, we will never know much about this controversal period in Egyptian history. I think that she has done a great job in creating a novel that will spar
Denise
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love historical fiction and this did not disappoint. I read this for Katie whilst still in its early draft stages and enjoyed the characterisations, the intrigue, the romance and the drama. For anyone who wants to read a novel with romance and drama without the explicit sex and violence, this is for you.
Leigh Statham
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great story! So many twists and turns - love, war, intrigue and cat fights. I especially enjoyed Kiya's can-do attitude and ability to stick to her guns even in the face of death. The whole idea of her coming to love her genetically-deformed-crazy-man-husband was really interesting too. Made me want to research egyptian history. Those dudes were messed up! ...more
Jenks
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting to get my hands on a copy of this book for ages . I kept putting off buying it and I have to comment it seems to hold its value in book stores and even amazon.

Historically and factually the book may by be accurate . But as novel set in this era . It was amazing. I read it in over the course of one day and couldn’t put it down! I loved the perspective of Kiya. Most novels set in the time of Akhenaten refer to Nefertiti and the plot doesn’t pay much attention to the lesser wiv
Christie
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tisha
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it a lot......a heroine you can get behind and a villian you can really hate. Got a little long towards the end, but a book I'd recommend if you like historical fiction. ...more
Cynthia
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating

This story held my attention thru out each page. I will continue the trilogy and expect to enjoy it as well.
Julie
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kiya: Hope of the Pharoah

What a quick and easy read! She makes you feel as if you are in Ancient Egypt. Can't wait to read the next book in this series
Bernadette Hutton
Loved it

How exciting, riveting , fast paced a true look into the Egyptian royal family. The intrigue, the jealousies, the back stabbing. Yet it was touching. Cannot wait to read the othets.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
New Adult Corner: NA ebook 1 12 Dec 18, 2013 08:44AM

• Lily of the Nile (Cleopatra's Daughter, #1)
  • When Women Ruled the World: Six Queens of Egypt
  • The Empress
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David, #3)
  • Flame and Ember (Regency Love #1) (Generations of Love #1)
  • The Shameless Flirt (Regency Love #3) (Generations of Love #3)
  • A True Gentleman (Regency Love #2) (Generations of Love #2)
  • Bone Box
  • Florence Nightingale
  • My Dear Jenny
  • Critical Error
  • Scarab in the Storm (The Lost Pharaoh Chronicles, #3)
  • Her Dakota Man (Dakota Hearts, #1)
  • Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, #1)
  • Akhenaten and Amarna: The History of Ancient Egypt’s Most Mysterious Pharaoh and His Capital City
  • Secrets in the Sand (The Lost Pharaoh Chronicles, #2)
  • Becoming Mary: A Pride and Prejudice Sequel
  • And So it Goes: Kurt Vonnegut: A Life
Born and raised in Australia, Katie's early years of day dreaming in the "bush," and having her father tell her wild bedtime stories, inspired her passion for writing.
After graduating High School, she became a foreign exchange student. Now she lives in Arizona with her daughters and their dog.
She has a diploma in travel and tourism which helps inspire her writing.
When her debut novel, Kiya: Hope o

KIYA Trilogy (3 books)
  • Mother of a King (KIYA Trilogy, #2)
  • Rise of a New Dynasty (KIYA Trilogy, #3)