Start by marking “The Finite Canvas” as Want to Read:
The Finite Canvas

The Finite Canvas

We are marked by what we have been. And erasing either of those can have unpredictable consequences...
Published December 11th 2012 by Tor Books (first published December 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Finite Canvas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Finite Canvas

Start your review of The Finite Canvas
rick.
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think what is most impressive about The Finite Canvas is the robust world-building which Brit Mandelo was able to accomplish within the constraints of short form fiction. This is a story of a three day encounter between two women who are confronted by their own mortality. The mercenary threatened by violence and the doctor by illness. These aren't shadowy specters. They each vividly understand their reality. The title refers to a ritual scarification that is done to record a tribute to the ...more
Andreas
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A female assassin atones for her murders by letting a medicine carve her arm (cf the great illustration by Rick Berry) while telling her story. This is the frame story for The Decameron-like redemption/love/family story. Two strong female characters, an intense mystery set in a dystopian world with a bit of action, and a perfect ending make up this novelette. I don't understand why this one didn't win the Nebula instead of Close Encounters. It isn't for the faint of heart and I'm pretty sure it ...more
Malapata
Sep 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Flojito, no me ha convencido ni la historia ni los personajes. A ratos previsible.
Cameron
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Meh, it was okay
James Ranger
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Such an easy read it could pass for a book for children. Prose style is nothing fresh or unique. Dialogue was atrocious. Clearly the author thinks they are witty, with their pinky in the air, but what this bland, banal and boring story comes off as is a failed attempt at being high and mighty. I'm glad I spent no money on this, but I feel bad for my colleague who did, which was how I got to read it.
Ashley
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Every time I read a Tor.com Original, I feel like I've experienced a little bit of magic. Like I've left somewhere, yet time didn't move, and returned different. This one is the same, and I adore it like I do many of the others.

This one is going to stick with me awhile, I think. It's beautifully macabre, and I feel that the tone and flow of the story certainly fits the subject material. I don't think it will be a tale for everyone, but for me, it "fit." It's also one of those wonderful short
Tony
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
tor.com original

Definitely bleak, but there is also a hope for the hopeless going on here. Jada, wants to get her story out and honor the dead she also desires something for herself that is dependent on Molly. Molly needs something that Jada can give but in the end is given even more. Though both women get what they hope for this is not a happily ever after.
Rand
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: you
Dark and shining evidence that narrative tension and imaginative grandeur remain possible in the short form.

A story to be savored slowly so to let the details build, written in the shadow of Bradbury's Illustrated Man.

Available free to read on tor.com. Highly recommended for those who enjoy literary fiction.
Maggie Gordon
Another hard hitting and incredibly well-written short from Tor's free fiction series, this time about justice and stories and the tough choices that people make. Mandelo packs an enormous amount of world building into a a few pages, as well as a lot of emotional.
pax
That one made me almost cry at the end. Ouch. Ouch. How strong! Picking more by Mandelo ASAP.
(Read as part of he "Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirtieth Annual Collection", but this one totally deserves to be listed and recommended extra.)
Serena
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My Rating System:
Geert
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gripping novella about a doctor who finds her peace in carving up a mercenary
Ellen
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
holy crap that was amazing
Rainey
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mandelo's short work sent chills through me- a brutal yet loving homage to the intricacies of broken humans and their broken relationships in a world ravaged by those very same humans. Perfect.
Kimikimi
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tor-com
Another Tor.com short story.

My god this is bleak.But it's kind of haunting and beautiful too.
R.K. Nickel
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story was absolutely brilliant! Oh man, such beautiful writing, and such a simple yet evocative journey between this two characters. I would recommend this to absolutely anyone.
Velma
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really nice to see female characters in scifi/fantasy.
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This one didn't really grab my attention like others have.
JM
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
It was an interesting story. The protagonist's motivation wasn't quite to my liking, but I can see how some people react that way.
Dazrin
Mar 11, 2015
Farah
Apr 01, 2018
Christine
Very nice story about art and meaning.
Tiffany Rose
Barry
rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This book refuses to update refresh ratings detail 2 22 Feb 20, 2013 04:06PM

• Strange Planet
  • Hello, Moto
  • Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)
  • Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1)
  • The President's Brain is Missing
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • Zenith Man
  • A Haunted House
  • A Very Scalzi Christmas
  • Identity Thief (This Can't Be Happening collection)
  • Lila (The One, #7)
  • Color Me In
  • Lost Lake (Detective Gemma Monroe, #3)
  • Daytripper