Start by marking “One for the Road: How to Be a Music Tour Manager” as Want to Read:
One for the Road: How to Be a Music Tour Manager

Read Book

One for the Road: How to Be a Music Tour Manager

As the music business continues to go through many dramatic changes, music groups are quickly discovering that in order to build and sustain a successful career they must stay on the road and do as many shows possible each year. Because of this, skilled tour managers for music groups are now needed more than ever.

In One for the Road: How to Be a Music Tour Manager, Mark Wo
Published November 21st 2012 by Road Crew Books (first published November 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about One for the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One for the Road

Start your review of One for the Road: How to Be a Music Tour Manager
Andy
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Concert tour management is a largely undocumented and under-reported career role in the live music business, and so finding out how to break into the ‘job’ is difficult. Luckily, Mark Workman’s book is comprehensive, and so is pretty much the only resource tour will need to find out what a tour manager does and how you can become one.
The book is very detailed and explains exactly hat the roles and responsibilities of the modern concert tour manager are.
The author also lists his personal experien
Tom Schulte
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mark Workman’s guide for the professional or would-be professional tour manager is encyclopedic in scope and detailed yet is often entertaining due to Workman’s pithy delivery (complete with Star Wars allusions), anecdotes, and humorous asides. Mark’s history is with heavy metal (Testament, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, etc.) but the mechanics and logistics of his overview is applicable to any touring band and, while he does not say so, I think managing any touring arts ensemble such as scholastic o ...more
Fritz Nordengren
Mark Workman's inside view of life as a music tour manager is a fun and fact-filled book. It's well organized and leads the reader straight through -- and at the same time, I was able to read non-linearly, picking and choosing sections I was curious about, without feeling lost or confused. He tells the future tour manager the need for signs when a band is touring on the road, so they know which way to the dressing rooms and which way to the busses. His book has an equal sense of organization.
I
Michelle
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Highly useful book, and clearly stated in every category with practical pieces of advice for road managers starting out. I used this book for research for a novel I'm writing about a tour manager, and for my purposes, I wish there had been more info about managing tours for established, bigger bands, but this is a great book for its intended purpose of educating new tour managers.
Jonathan Anderson
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The audience for this book may not be wide, but I can't imagine those who would be interested could ask for anything more. Incredibly comprehensive, with a good amount of explanation that comes off as helpful, not condescending. I could've taken a few more road stories as practical examples, but I could listen to anybody's road stories.
Francesca Strada
Jan 25, 2015
Jeff
rated it did not like it
Aug 02, 2019
Oct 11, 2014
Chelsea Myers
Feb 07, 2014
Mark Workman
Nov 21, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Neff Harris
1 follower
"Workman provides a witty and entertaining read." Revolver Magazine

"A witty and inspiring power punch." Chuck Billy, Testament

Pittsburgh Music Magazine 10/21/2013
"Mark Workman lays out such a comprehensive strategy to becoming a working tour manager that if one has the will, Workman provides the way. Add to that Workman's writing style that is very smooth, humorous at times, and easy to understand