Start by marking “The New York Road Runners Club Complete Book of Running and Fitness” as Want to Read:
The New York Road Runners Club Complete Book of Running and Fitness

The New York Road Runners Club Complete Book of Running and Fitness

"The most useful and comprehensive running book ever."
--Runner's World

The book that set the standard for runners -- in a third edition

Includes:
Training tips for all levels
Motivation and Psychology
Nutrition and Hydration
Health and Medicine
Aging and Exercise
Women's Health Issues
Equipment and Lifestyle
Ample Resource List including running related Web sites
Paperback, Third Edition, 608 pages
Published October 7th 1997 by Random House Reference (first published 1992)

Be the first to ask a question about The New York Road Runners Club Complete Book of Running and Fitness

Dave
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive look at all things related to running.
Chris Crabbs
Good information generally. Some was more dated than I expected.
Michael Clark
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, buy
A definitive guide for competitive running at any skill level. This book contains several personal examples from former world record holders. It provides a professional insight into nearly every aspect of running, and offers excellent advice especially for the beginner. If your goal is to run a marathon, this book will prove to be priceless.

"You will gain a new awareness of your body. Running will improve your stamina. It will help you control or reduce your weight."

"Keeping a diary can be a va
Jessica
Jan 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wondering what a "singlet" is
Shelves: phys-ed
I can't remember which edition of this book I read, but the dorky running people on the cover look kind of familiar, so maybe it was this one.

This is a decent introduction to the topic. It also taught me a somewhat counterintuitive fact about distance running, which is that the people who do it always seem to be dying of cancer. I find this sad and perplexing, and it's probably helped justify my continuing to smoke for so long.... Anyway, I've been really lazy these days and probably won't run t
Jonathan Nichols
Profiling some of the greatest runners in history, this book may seem a bit outdated, but the fact is that many of the people profiled were much faster than me. Based upon what I concluded before, I am not too "good" to discount the older training ideologies described in this book. It is also really fascinating to hear about the practices of legendary runners like "Pre" and Frank Shorter. This book highlights to fact that in the world of running, not much has changed since the 1970s, and I appre ...more
Michael
Good, comprehensive running and training advice for the novice runner... with a mild pitch to New York audiences. If you're looking for personal narrative to accompany your training, this is your baby. The stories throughout offer multiple (sometimes motivational) perspectives and tips to round out the research. Run run run.
Chris Myers
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was good. I liked how it had many different examples of running. It has a lot of personal examples from world record holders and some of the best runners in the world. But i thought that the information was a little out of date.
Colby
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
This book got me through my first marathon.
Ajeng Puspitasari