Start by marking “Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)” as Want to Read:
Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)

Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness

(Great Lives From God's Word)

In a world where faith is fading and integrity is rare, the life of Joseph shines like a brilliant star in the nighttime sky, showing us that following God brings hope even in the worst of circumstances. In "Joseph", Chuck Swindoll reveals a man buffeted with the same kinds of problems we face today--or worse. A man whose tenacious faith in God ultimately won him great hon ...more
Published August 21st 1998 by Thomas Nelson (first published November 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Joseph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joseph

D.A. Cairns
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first thing that surprised me in reading this biography was the fact that Joseph has more of the Bible devoted to his story than other other character. I was familiar with his tale before I read this, and I learned nothing new about him. However Swindoll's style, particularly how he quotes Bible passages then paraphrases them, really made Joseph's story much more real and relevant.

This is a very well written and inspirational book. I felt very affirmed and encouraged by reading i
Mary Welchans
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chuck strikes again! I read his book on David a few years go and have yet to come across another author who brings these people to life! Not only does Swindoll takes you through the life of Joseph, he gives you practical application throughout the book, and he also brings you back to the most important point- the Gospel!!! I highly suggest this whole series!
Kayce
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a great read! Joseph is an amazing example of what it means to demonstrate God's love and forgiveness.

Having been a favorite of his father's, his brothers were jealous and sold him into slavery. Then he was falsely accused and put in prison. He had a gift from God to interpret dreams and after interpreting dreams for fellow cell-mates, he told one of them not to forget about him. Well, that man was freed and forgot about Joseph. It was another 2 years for him in jail. Then Pharaoh had
Tom
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
I enjoyed this book for the most part. I've always loved the story of Joseph. So much inspiration and a great example of integrity, honesty, patience, and forgiveness. This book opened my eyes to look at parts of the story in a new light.

However, a few things annoyed me. Mr. Swindoll, who I greatly admire and respect, apparently felt the need to make the book look larger than it really needed to be. One way in which he did this was to quote a stretch of scripture from Genesis and then immediate
It's been years since I read this book, but due to some things going on in my life, I really wanted/needed to reread this story. Joseph has been my hero for a very long time. He went through so much, yet he kept his focus on the right things. He didn't come better or seek revenge.
This audiobook was well done and was perfect to listen too during my busy work schedule.
Jeff
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-book-list
I love these biographical profiles Charles Swindoll has written. I've read the ones he did on David and Paul, and they were excellent as well.

Here are some take-aways:
* A strong faith leads to a good attitude. When those two essentials are in place, troubles become challenges to face not reasons to quit.
* During the waiting period, trust God without panic.
* A number of years ago, someone counted up the promises in the Bible and totaled 7,474.
* Integrity has a way of silencing the
Amy
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love all Chuck Swindoll's books, especially the ones from this Great Lives From God's Word series. This is the 3rd book I've read in the series (Read Jesus and David previously) and I have to say, it's my favorite so far. Joseph is probably my favorite bible hero after Jesus. To have the patience of Joseph and the complete trust in the Lord that he had would be incredible. I bet he was a great father to Manesseh and Ephraim although the bible doesn't speak much of it. I always love rooting for ...more
Darrell
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Charles R. Swindoll's celebrated series of biographical character sketches from God's Word. One can tell that Swindoll goes in deep and lovingly talks his way through his subject matter. That statement is especially true in the case of Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness. Of course, the Bible present Swindoll with much to write about; his is a story of dramatic twists and turns. Read this and enjoy.
Kathy
Nov 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-study
I love Joseph. His whole life is full of tragedy that you just can't believe is happening to him: being sold into slavery by his own brothers, accused of rape, imprisoned for a long time, etc. After he correctly interprets the dreams of the Pharaoh, he is finally taken out of prison and becomes Prime Minister of Egypt. In his position, he is able to save his whole family from starvation. Everything was in God's timing.
Leigh Ann
May 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I re-read this book to help me prepare for a Bible study at my chaplain job and was amazed again how good it was. The residents loved it too as I went through it with them. The story of Joseph is like a common day soap opera!
Nicole
My first book by Swindoll, Joseph was a enriching read. With intelligent writing and inspiring teaching Swindoll reminds us that Joseph was a man with the utmost integrity that each of us should strive to exemplify.
Lisa
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Superb book covering the entirety if Joseph's life. Mr. Swindoll dives into Joseph's story to find characteristics we can role model and makes each situation relevant to our lives. fabulous & favorite read!!!
Misty Broqi
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book about Joseph. I've always been fascinated by his life story. He definitly was a person with a great attitude and of great integrity. I hope both of those qualities are in my own son Jozef.
Katherine
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: character
Nothing ever beats biographical story from the Old Testament.
smalls
Feb 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I completely enjoyed this book! Would highly recomend it! Great as a study guide!
Kelly
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love the one I'm reading on David, I want to read this one next!!
Pam Hylbert-eder
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite biographies by Charles Swindoll.
Vicky Jeter
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite characters in the Bible. Love the way Charles Swindle brings to life this story with grace and love.
Ron Thibeault
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charles Swindoll has hit the mark with his biography of Joseph. This book was truly a wonderful experience. I was greatly encouraged, especially reading all about the negative things that occurred. Yet, he managed to give God the glory. I only hope I can keep the faith Joseph demonstrated.
Steve
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This book is probably better than a three. I got bored half way through and quit reading it. I picked it up again and finished it, albeit two years later. I now remember that I was reading Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead at the same time. I quit reading that book too. I imagine I just had a bad combination. I remember thinking this book was good at the beginning, and when I picked it up again the last two chapters were great too. The book has lots of Swindoll's wise insights that you'd expect, along ...more
Mike
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I always thought about the story of Joseph as one that dealt with overcoming adversity, and not playing favorites as a father. But after reading this I realized I missed the point all these years. It's a story of forgiveness, renewal, and constant reassurance on Joseph's part.
Besides forgiving his brothers for what they did to him, and having the opportunity to redevelop a relationship with his family, he found himself reassuring his brothers due to the guilt they felt. At least for a while t
Michelle Wood
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Chuck Swindoll is one of my very favorite authors. He makes the bible come alive in a way that every1 cannot do. I read this book and the others in the series. The points Chuck makes throughout this book are so clear, concise and easy to understand. For sure, if you believe in God you know He is a forgiving God. For Joseph to go through the things he went through and have so much forgiveness in his being can only come from God. The carnal part of our beings is not made of forgiveness. This is a ...more
Josh
Jan 12, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a good account of Joseph's story. He went chapter by chapter of the Biblical account in depth. I appreciated that he humanized Joseph. He wasn't this lofty Biblical saint. He was just a guy with faith. However, I feel like Swindoll really went on a lot of tangents as he tried to apply and connect each portion of the Biblical story with real world anecdotes and accounts. That was necessary, to a point, but I think he just took it too far. So that's why I'm going to have to give it 3 star ...more
Mathew Nix
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like his previous biography of David, Swindoll does an excellent job breathing life into the biblical narrative and making Joseph's story seem more real. He also is good at here drawing forth numerous spiritual lessons one might learn from Joseph's life, even from the seemingly smallest of details. I'd recommend David over this one in the series, but this is still a very good read and worth your time.
James Kim
Another solid book by Chuck Swindoll. If you're looking for scholarly, historic, textual studies and reflections, you'll be sorely disappointed. However, if you're looking to be encouraged and inspired by the stories of the people of the Bible, C Swindoll does it like few others can. The book reads like a series of sermons. There are wonderful God-truths, and you will be inspired and encouraged by folks who lived their life with faith.
Jason Henry
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. Mr. Swindoll really dives in to Joseph's life like a student of the Word. In some instances, Swindoll opens your eyes and mind to the things we often overlook when reading the bible. I truly never lost interest when reading this book about Joseph from beginning to end, from page to page. Joseph truly was forgiving and the grace of God covered his life from beginning to end. An excellent study of His Word.
Mark A Powell
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Swindoll accurately captures the main themes of Joseph’s story, especially concerning the sovereignty of God, yet the overall effort comes up short. Too much emphasis on strong leadership principles and positive attitudes bog down the flow of this book. While both of those things are good and necessary, they seem quite tangential to the intended thrust of the narrative. I applaud Swindoll’s desire to pastorally apply truth, but wish he’d focused more on the bigger picture.
Angela
Nov 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Angela by: Kurt Knoll
This brought alive to me the story of the tribes of Israel. After Charles gave me this story with a 21st century perspective, I could better understand Jacob, his children, and how they came to be the children of the land of Israel. This catapolted my spiritual walk to the next level; understanding and clarity.
Will Waller
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well done portrait of Joseph and a big help on a recent sermon series on the book of Genesis. Not aligned with the author's theology but his portrait of Joseph was relevant and accurate. He offers much wisdom in this book and much to be gained by studying it.

His work on the father Jacob is a bit harsh, and to be taken with a grain of salt however.
Jonathan Kelly
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Part 3 in an excellent series by Chuck Swindoll. A very practical look at the story of Joseph. Swindoll highlights many applications we can take from this man's godly living. All the while, he points out many small details which might be missed without a thorough reading of the Genesis account. Highly recommended for the scholar and lay person alike.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Weigh Down Diet
  • Every Thought Captive: Battling the Toxic Beliefs That Separate Us from the Life We Crave
  • The Body
  • Reaching for the Invisible God: What Can We Expect to Find?
  • The Dangerous Duty of Delight: Daring to Make God Your Greatest Desire
  • Hear No Evil: Marching in the Lord's Army, Fleeing the Devil, and Finding a Righteous Groove
  • Reading the Bible with Rabbi Jesus: How a Jewish Perspective Can Transform Your Understanding
  • Eternal Security
  • The Church at the End of the Twentieth Century: Including The Church Before the Watching World
  • New Light on the Difficult Words of Jesus: Insights from His Jewish Context
  • How to Read the Bible as Literature: . . . and Get More Out of It
  • The Book of Romance: What Solomon Says about Love, Sex and Intimacy
  • The Art of Forgiving
  • The Baron's Apprenticeship
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra ...more

Great Lives From God's Word (9 books)
  • David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1)
  • Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2)
  • Moses: A Man of Selfless Dedication (Great Lives From God's Word 4)
  • Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives from God's Word, #5)
  • Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)
  • Job: A Man of Heroic Endurance (Great Lives from God's Word Series, Volume 7)
  • Fascinating Stories of Forgotten Lives: Rediscovering Some Old Testament Characters
  • Jesus: The Greatest Life of All
“The desire of Joseph’s heart was to see his father and to get all of his family to move to Egypt and to live near him so he could provide for them without reservation and without limitation.” 0 likes
“God constantly uses the lives of Bible characters to teach us, to encourage us, to warn us.” 0 likes