Start by marking “Crystal Cove” as Want to Read:
Crystal Cove

Crystal Cove (Friday Harbor #4)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  7,060 Ratings  ·  994 Reviews
ONE WOMAN WHO HAS BEEN CURSED NEVER TO FIND LOVE . . .

ONE MAN WITHOUT A SOUL WHO WANTS HER MORE THAN LIFE ITSELF . . .

THEY MEET IN A SMALL ISLAND TOWN IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST, WHERE MAGIC IS IN THE AIR AND FATE IS A FORCE TOO POWERFUL TO DEFY. . . .

In New York Times bestselling author Lisa Kleypas's Crystal Cove, Justine Hoffman has made a comfortable life for herself on
Published July 30th 2013 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published February 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Crystal Cove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crystal Cove

Jill

Disappointing...

I haven't been this letdown in a Lisa Kleypas story since I read Where Passion Leads. At least the excuse there, it was her debut.

Justine Hoffman despairs of never falling in love, especially since she's seen her best friend and cousin, Zoë fall in love with Alex Nolan, in book #3 Dream Lake. Owner of the bed-and-breakfast, Justine's been raised as a pagan and is a hereditary witch.

Jason Black has produced the most successful fantasy video-game series ever. Staying at Justine's B
SanO
This was a *Fizzle* not a sizzle. Oh hell NO. I never believed I could rate a Kleypas book with 2 stars—NEVER--and it pains me to do so now.

Wow where to begin.
1. Didn’t buy the *instant* chemistry between Justine & Jason.
2. Too much detailed descriptions of the surroundings- (became annoying)
3. This paranormal/supernatural genre is not a strong suit for Kleypas. I would've expected a dark/angsty type of vibe in a PR, but here it felt mild, and emotionless. And the witchcraft details felt l
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Lisa Kleypas has a special place at the top of my list of favourite authors. I love, love her historicals but I understand her reasons for wanting to extend herself as an author by writing contemporary novels. The Travis series is one of my favourites and I have enjoyed the first three books in the Friday Harbor series. So I was looking forward to Justine’s story but Crystal Cove was so disappointing.

What didn’t work for me ~

There was so much emphasis on the witchcraft that, at times, it s
willaful
The fantasy elements in this series have gotten more blatant with each book, from the delicate suggestion of magic in the first to actual witches performing actual spells in this, the fourth. I had no major issues with it in the previous books, but I felt that Kleypas bit off more than she could chew in this one. The fantasy and reality mix just didn't gel.

I was also disappointed with the hero, who starts off mysterious and intriguing and then quickly morphs into every other hopelessly in love,
Lisa Kay
Images of Friday Harbor, Washington.
[image error]
[image error]
★★★★☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Oh! I’m so relieved. I read a couple of negative and hesitant reviews (although not about the audiobook) of the latest release in Lisa KleypasFriday Harbor series, Crystal Cove. Let me reassure you; I loved this one also.

Tanya Eby returns to narrating this enchanting series and does a nice job. I realize most women can’t do the sexy baritone I hear in my head for all my heroes; nevertheless
Liz* Fashionably Late

I NEED HELP.

I'm done with these series. For real. I LOVED the first book, so sweet and romantic. I loved the hot, sexy scenes and the way the characters connected.

This?
Instalove/Instalust.

Jason was a controlling, self-absorbed, super rich ass and I couldn't stand him. There was some BDSM elements in the story, elements I'm not familiar with, elements I wasn't looking for in a sweet family story.

Friday Harbor series started as a romantic book for the holidays and ended up as a Paranormal serie
Crista
2 1/2 stars

This review is a painful one to write. I love this author and will ALWAYS love this author. She has penned some of my very favorite books: Dreaming of You, Smooth Talking Stranger, Again the Magic, Devil in Winter, and the entire Hathaway series. These are books that have become comfort reads. They have helped me through difficult personal times, and are books that continue to beckon me for re-reads time and time again. For this I will always be grateful.

With all that being said, Cry
Katie Michaels
I'll tell you a little secret. This is my first Lisa Kleypas book. I generally don't read contemporary romance, but the description on this felt a little PNR-ish and I have long heard positive things about this author. So I figured this was a great opportunity to give her a try.

Take a look at the blurb. Frankly, she had me at "Man-Without-A-Soul." Unfortunately, when I actually started reading, I was sorely disappointed. I think the description of the story is accurate, but let me tell you abou
Marisa Sauco
Esta historia es bastante diferente al resto de las historias de la serie, y en mi opinión, prescindible.

Me gustó, pero no logró emocionarme como las anteriores.
D.G.
Check out this review and others at badassbookreviews.com

Lisa Kleypas has been one of my favorite authors for a long, long time. I don’t think she walks on air and I’ve certainly not loved everything she’s written but I can’t remember the last time I was so disappointed by one of her books. While reading Crystal Cove, I was in disbelief that a writer known for her romantic love stories and great character/plot development would write a book with an insta-love trope and plot holes the size of tan
SheLove2Read
Oct 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
**Note: my views on this book are my own and not directed toward any one person(s), event or lifestyle. If you have a problem with that, feel free to unfriend.

I have a motto about most things in life: go big or go home. LK certainly went big in this one. She should have gone home. I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever considered not finishing a story of hers, and I wish I had gone with my gut and not finished it at all.

The synopsis, for once, is fairly dead on, so I won't rehash
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Lisa Kleypas stretches her wings in CRYSTAL COVE, venturing farther than she has ever before. Though her signature voice is still very much present, she also delves deeper into the paranormal aspect that has sprinkled this series so far. The paranormal element is played up much more since Justine is a witch and belongs to a coven and her mother has cast a spell on that prevents her from ever falling in love.

Now, Justine and Jason are facing a curse that once uplifted could cause dire consequence
Pamela(AllHoney)
Crystal Cove is the fourth book in Lisa Kleypas' Friday Harbor series. Justine Hoffman is the proprietor of of a Bed and Breakfast in Friday Harbor. She is also a reluctant witch. She discovers that someone put a curse on her that she would never fall in love. Jason Black is a man without a soul but that doesn't mean he has no feelings.

A bit strange for me. I liked it but didn't love it. It didn't grabbed me like Lisa Kleypas usually does. It may have something to do with the whole witchcraft s
Cat
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fantasy, ugh, 2013
I love Kleypas. She's one of my few auto-buys, and has been since her days writing historicals. I greatly enjoyed her Texas books, so I know she can write contemporary well, but if I wasn't reading these Friday Harbor novels on my Nook I'd throw them across the room.

Crystal Cove is the most maddening entry into the series yet. Everyone, even characters we'd met before and had their own books, came across as bland, flat, and stock. Please don't get me started on Priscilla and her charming Souther
Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads
I love the Friday Harbor series. I love the bit of magic woven into every story that made each of these romances so alive and...magical. Crystal Cove was a little different than the other three novels in the series in that it was more magical, perhaps even paranormal than the others. Justine is a bone fide witch. The hero, Jason, has no soul. There are curses and covens and spells. The story felt different because it was more steeped in the supernatural than the others. The story opens with Just ...more
Mary
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What to say? I really liked this book but it is different from the others in the series so be aware. Love the heroine but it took me a while to decide if I bought in to the reason she couldn't be with the hero. Yes, it is a farfetched, but if you love a story and it's characters and the author is as skilled as Lisa Kleypas you can suspend a lot more disbelief than usual. There is some hot sex and a real love story. And one of my favorite things? (This is just a bit spoilery). The relationship be ...more
Geo Marcovici
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O Vrajitoare si un tip fara suflet... Un blestem care poate fi fatal!
O dragoste ce poate sa te înalte la ceruri sau sa te alunge in ceturile deznadejdii!
Recenzia mea completa o găsiți aici: https://justreadingmybooks.wordpress....
Mersina Seena
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished Dream Lake and I want this installment.

I love that we readers are truly the luckiest people out there in our crazy world that we get to read these magical stories!
Mimi Smith

Wow. I think I was more disappointed in this book than any other LK one. And Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor set quite a high (or low as it were) bar on that one.

Let's just make two thing clear: I'm a girl who loves magic. I love it in my books, movies, you name it. I've waited and am still waiting for that late Hogwarts letter and have watched Charmed like a thing possessed.

The second thing is: I love Lisa Kleypas. I love the Travises and the Wallflowers and I think she's an amazing wr
Bekah
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laughter, tears, and an intensely hot love affair contained within a mere 300 pages? Why yes, I am reading a Lisa Kleypas book (and loving every second of it)! Lisa gives to us Crystal Cove, a place where magic literally does happen. A place where a cursed witch fated to never love, dares to break a horribly dangerous curse all in the hopes that she will just feel love for once in her life....and then she meets an enigmatic man with no soul.

Justine Hoffman, a hereditary witch who struggles to f
Nuria Llop
Sep 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lo único que me ha gustado de esta novela es el protagonista masculino (y no en todos los aspectos de su personalidad) y las dos mujeres mayores de la isla, amigas de la protagonista. Reconozco que el tema de las brujas no me atrae y, en esta historia, es la base del argumento, lo que mueve a todos los personajes y la raíz del conflicto de pareja. Toda la trama gira en torno a la brujería y la hechicería, por lo que me resulta difícil opinar con objetividad. De todos modos, incluso si intento ai ...more
Miriam Stern
And I'm done with Crystal Cove...

It was okay. I'm giving it four stars because it has witchcraft and because it also has a gamer as a main character (although Jason is a bit unrealistic as a gamer... Please...)

Things I really liked: Jason and Justine are sweet and loving and it's a nice chemistry.

Things I didn't like: it's a little fast paced, and a bit TOO unrealistic, too many small twists but nothing too significant.

You can see part of the ending miles away and where are the other Nolans!?!
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
We started this on audio, but I finished it on kindle. I liked this one a lot more than many of Kleypas fans. In fact, I liked it quite a bit. I probably helped that I didn't have high expectations. I liked Justine from the other books, but I wasn't particularly attached to her character. She seemed a bit shallow but kind in the other books. I have the feeling that Kleypas didn't have Justine's character fleshed out initially. She must have spent some time with Justine in between Dream Lake and ...more
Jess
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: B

In this latest Friday Harbor book, Justine is a witch who refuses to join her mother’s coven. She’s currently estranged from her mom who wanted Justine to be someone she’s not and didn’t agree with Justine wanting to follow her own dreams and open a B&B. The bad feelings between the two get even worse when Justine figures out that her mom cast a spell on her as a young girl so that she would never find love. Her mom’s heart was broken wh
Bella Grace
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LK fans!
Recommended to Bella by: Myself, 'cause I rock. Duh.
Love, but some itty-gritty things were real bothersome. Let me tell you, Kleypas never gets it wrong, and this book is an aberration in consideration of her other works.

A whole lotta insta-love, but when it's LK, you can't give her anything less than at least 4 stars for any of her books.

Review to come + info on the Friday Harbor series. Are there more books or no? Hmph.
Jacob Proffitt
This is fourth in a series, and characters from the third are present (none from the first two, though). They aren't a big part of the book, so you don't really need the others to enjoy this book. And frankly, this one has a much more active supernatural element so the others aren't really a very good indication of what to expect with this story, either.

I was looking forward to this one because it promised to have a more active supernatural element. Unfortunately, that turned out to be the book'
Kristina
I had to put this book down so many times during the course of reading. Not because it was boring or I had things to do, but because I had to stop reading long enough for the tears to dry up. Wow, what a tearjerker, in the best of ways. I cried for love, loss, faith, sacrifice, fear, anticipation, you name it, I felt it. It ripped my heart out and put me all back together and then did it again. Personally, I love when books put me on an emotional roller coaster.

If you've read the other books in
Lauren
Crystal Cove
3 Stars

Crystal Cove reminds me of the film Practical Magic only not nearly as entertaining or satisfying. It seems to have all the right ingredients but simply falls flat.

Justine starts out as a feisty, take no prisoners heroine but turns into a submissive doormat willing to forgive all transgressions merely because she has the hots for Jason. She is also the worst witch I've ever encountered.

Jason has potential as a tortured hero and his description as "a man without a soul" is ver
Kitana
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I feel I should explain myself, as I'm sure many people will consider two stars a negative rating.
First off, from me, two stars is not bad. I am hard on books. It basically means I enjoyed reading it, but re-reading will probably not happen.

This is a good story. The characters are emotionally engaging and easy to relate to, the plot has some nice little twists, and the story has been written with finesse and edited well.
If you like romance and are intrigued by a little exposure to some slightly
Glamdring

I really had a hard time rating this book.

The story was well written and had some beautiful quotations but I couldn’t really connect.

I found that there were a lot of inconsistencies with Justine character as well as the story. Some serious things happen to her but after a first strong reaction they just seem to be forgotten. Same for Jason who lacked charisma, and for a clever man, did several pretty stupid things.

At the very beginning I liked their relationship but after that I couldn’t belie
We Love Lisa Kleypas: Crystal Cove (Friday Harbor #4), by Lisa Kleypas 53 188 Aug 16, 2015 07:35AM
  • A Christmas Present
  • Christmas Love Stories
  • Three Weddings and a Kiss
  • At Last (Lucky Harbor, #5)
  • Within Reach
  • The Duke's Match Girl (Fiery Tales, #3)
  • The Seduction Of Elliot McBride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #5)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • Rude (House Of Payne, #4)
  • Rocked: Joe and Liss (Rocked #1-3)
  • The Edge of Never, The Edge of Always: Two Book Collection (The Edge of Never, #1-2)
  • The Autumn Bride (Chance Sisters, #1)
  • Strong Enough to Love (Jackson, #1.2)
  • Almost Summer (Fool's Gold, #6.2)
  • Sugar Creek (Destiny, #2)
  • The Nekkid Truth
  • An Unexpected Gentleman
More about Lisa Kleypas...

Friday Harbor (4 books)
  • Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1)
  • Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2)
  • Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3)
“My point is, when someone is hurting you, they can call it whatever the hell they want. They can even call it love. But words lie, actions don’t.” 18 likes
“Love will break your heart,[...] but love can also mend it. Not many things in life are both the cause and the cure.” 16 likes