Jump to ratings and reviews

My Paper Heart #2

On Paper Wings

Taking a leap of faith is one thing, but learning to get up when you fall is a whole other story.

After a summer spent with her Aunt Dee in tiny Elsbury, Louisiana, former Chicago princess Libby Gentry traded in her old life for a new one with the southern Casanova, Blaine Crabtree.

But just when she thinks things are changing for the better, old girlfriends of Blaine's start coming back into the picture, and not a single one of them are friendly or bad on the eyes. Combine the worry of passing her first semester at St. Joseph Community College and sponsoring her tomboy cousin in Cotillion and Libby can barely keep up.

It's hard to learn to fly on paper wings. They're flimsy and can easily break. But if Libby can mend a broken heart, hopefully she can learn to fly.

300 pages, ebook

First published November 1, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Magan Vernon

81 books929 followers
Magan Vernon has been living off of reader tears since she wrote her first short story in 2004. She now spends her time killing off fictional characters, pretending to plot while she really just watches Netflix, and she tries to do this all while her two young children run amok around her Texas ranch.

You can stalk or...er...find her online at all of these fun and happy places.

Amazon Author Link: http://amzn.to/1Mi23I9

FELL THE VERN (reader group): http://on.fb.me/1lVsZEo

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (2%)
1 star
2 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews
Profile Image for Amy Logg.
180 reviews101 followers
November 14, 2014
On Paper Wings was an excellent follow up to My Paper Heart.

REVIEW:
The story:
I was so glad to see that My Paper Heart wasn't the end of Libby's story. She may have grown up a lot in that first book, but I felt she still had a lot of things to learn. She's still struggling with her insecurities, not only with her appearance, but also with her relationship with Blaine. Bumping into a couple of bitter ex lovers of Blaine's doesn't help the situation either. As a result she starts to loose control of her eating disorder and tension between her and Blaine comes to a head. Both characters must learn to have faith in one another for their relationship to work, but can overcome all the obstacles that threaten to break them apart?

The characters:
Libby is still a little immature, she jumps to conclusions and struggles to trust Blaine no matter how hard he tries to show her she's the only girl he wants. She almost has to hit rock bottom before she realises the mistakes she's making and can grow into the woman that everyone around her knows she can be.

Blaine is a much calmer character than Libby. He's more relaxed and secure in their relationship too. But he does have his insecurities, especially when Libby befriends a fellow male student. But overall he trusts Libby and is always there for her when she needs him most.

The romance:
These two have to go through a lot of issues over the course of the relationship. But all these obstacles only make their love stronger. They prove to each other time and time again that nothing will break them apart - so sweet.

The Writing:
I love Magan's honest style of writing. Her characters have flaws and make mistakes. And her love scenes are a mix of sexy and sometimes hilariously awkward!

FINAL WORD:
On Paper Wings was an excellent follow up to My Paper Heart. The characters become stronger and more resilient and I loved seeing them grown into the adults I knew they could be!

CONTENT:
Sexuality: mild-medium / some minor sex scenes
Violence: mild
Language: mild-medium / some f words
Drugs & alcohol: mild-medium / some underage drinking

More reviews at The Reading Realm
Profile Image for Amy .
2,671 reviews
December 5, 2015
On Paper Wings picks up pretty much right where My Paper Heart left off. Blaine and Libby are together and are trying to make their relationship work. But, relationships are never easy, especially when the past always finds a way to work itself into the present.

“When we’re good, we’re really good, and when we’re bad, it’s really bad. Two people that have that much passion must be doing something awfully right."

Blaine and Libby both have a lot of growing up to still do and have to learn to start trusting each other if they want their relationship to work. Getting over their insecurities might be the biggest hurdle they have to pass. For Libby, she has to learn to accept that Blaine had a past before her, even if it's not pretty. And she has to learn to let things go, that no one is perfect and that the pressure she is putting on herself can become too much.

“I don’t think you’re crazy at all. I don’t want you to think that either. I can’t say that I understand what’s going through your head, but I can say that I’ll be here for you no matter what. If I haven’t made it clear, I love you more than anything.”

And for Blaine, as frustrating as it is, he has to learn that Libby's insecurities about his past are real and to not brush them off. He will also have to accept that he is enough for Libby, even when he may feel otherwise at times.

Overall, I found On Paper Wings to be a very enjoyable read. I loved the drama, angst and romance. Blaine definitely has some great swoon worthy moments. I love how Magan Vernon gives us drama, but it's always just the right amount. The characters were really easy for me to connect with and I felt by the end of the story, they had grown so much. I absolutely adore Libby and Blaine and hope that we will see more of them in the future....

*An ARC copy of this book was provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review*

You can also see my review at: http://www.onceuponabookblog.com/blog...
Profile Image for Lheanne Spicer.
177 reviews6 followers
November 11, 2014
Blaine and Libby have worked things out and after a discussion with her parents Libby is going back to Louisiana to live. After her first day at the local community college Libby had made a friend and an enemy which happens to be one of Blaine's old flings. Still working on her issues Libby and Blaine decide to spend Christmas with her family, can this country boy fit in with Libbys old world and will Libby herself still fit in.

LOVED this book!!! Magan is such an amazing author and you won’t be able to put this book down. Can’t wait for more books about these two and I have decided that I need a Blaine Crabtree of my own.
Profile Image for Ellie D.
74 reviews10 followers
September 16, 2015
On Paper Wings was a FANTASTIC read that I enjoyed immensely. This sequel was filled with lots of drama, a sweet and passionate romance and anxiousness factor that left readers curious to find out what was happening next. Magan Vernon produced a story that really highlighted a young passionate love that also included a lot of growing and challenges for young adults like Libby and Blaine. It is exciting to anticipate what will happen next.

Plot
This book shows a good development of Libby from where she was in book one but still leaves insecurities (with her disorder and Blaine) that shows that she is still of some need of growing which gives a realistic nature of the book. The addition of Blaine's exes also put a massive amount of tension of Libby and Blaine's love that has readers unsure of where they will end up at the end

Characters
In this book, we see a Libby that is constantly second guessing herself and Blaine...her trust is disheartened with the showing of Blaine's ex girlfriends and hookups. However, this book really lets Blaine shine and become the rock Libby needs regardless of the scenes where there is tension between the two. He really gets the opportunity to show his love for Libby which was a nice reversal from the first book. I enjoyed their romance journey in this book.

There is a good addition of new characters.... whether they be a hero or villain... they brought enough to develop Libby and Blaine to the stage they were in at the end of the novel.

Romance
Sweet, realistic and meaningful... The scene with Libby and Blaine in the lake is 100% a new favourite romance scene

Overall, it was pleasure to read such a heart-warming novel that is part of a great series... cant wait for book 3. Thanks =)
Profile Image for Carla.
989 reviews3 followers
September 21, 2015
*I was given a copy of this book as a gift from the author in exchange for an honest review. Before reading this book, you need to read the first book in the series which is entitled My Paper Wings.

I loved this book just as much as the first one! After spending the summer in Louisiana and falling in love with a southern boy, Libby decides to leave Chicago for good and make Louisiana her home. At first, Libby thinks things are going to be perfect, but she soon learns that life doesn't always follow the script we have created for ourselves. Don't get me wrong-she and Blaine are deeply in love, but things get bumpy when Blaine's old flings start showing up all over the place. Even though she considers herself to be a strong woman, old insecurities resurface, and Libby loses control.

Blaine and Libby really have gone through a lot, but the hard times have brought them closer together. In order for their love to survive, they each have been forced to dig deep and place their trust in one another. I loved how both Libby and Blaine have grown and matured from the first book. Magan Vernon is an excellent author! Obviously, this is a series that I would highly recommend.
Profile Image for Melissa Ogletree.
186 reviews5 followers
September 29, 2015
Libby decided to take a chance and stay in Louisiana the problem with finding yourself is truly looking at yourself faults and all. She thinks she is moving forward but when Blaine's past is suddenly in her face at every turn she struggle to move forward and not let it get to her. The added pressure combined with her own insecurities weigh her down, can her and Blaine build wing strong enough to lift them up?
I think most people not just most girls can relate to Libby's insecurities in one way or another whether you ever went down the path she did or not I think at some point everyone deals with body image issues of some kind. I loved some of the new characters introduced in this book in particular Sawyer he was a great friend for Libby and just who she needed to help put things in perspective. I liked to see the growth Libby experienced and how she continued to cultivate different relationships both old and new. For me Blaine was a great support for her but this book was more about her for me this doesn't end on a cliffhanger but definitely ended in a way that had me anxious for book 3! This is not a standalone book and is part of a series that should be read in order.
Profile Image for Heidi Sturgess.
624 reviews8 followers
October 4, 2015
So Libby choses Louisiana and Blaine over Chicago and it's city lights.
She also joins the community college and I'm proud of her for doing so ♥

Libby did a lot of growing up in My paper heart but she's still wrestling that monster called insecurity and I feel her pain as I struggle with the same monster .
Add a few ex girlfriends to the equation and we have a recipe for disaster .

I must give Blaine credit for his character . He's calm ,relaxed and secure in himself and his relationship with Libby and he's very patient with her I think a lot of guys would have run  for the hills long ago .
Don't get me wrong he also gets his moments but who doesn't.
He really is a southern gem ♥Blaine and Libby have an obstacle course for a relationship and they've been through a lot but when all is said and done love does prevail. ♥

I've enjoyed Magan's writing style and I find her honest and the characters are real and experience real life which makes them identifiable.

Looking forward to see what the future holds in the town of Louisiana.....
Profile Image for Ashley Stevenson .
509 reviews5 followers
May 22, 2015
I received a copy of this book for a honest review. Love this Series can't wait to read more. Libby and Blaine had so many up and down but love strength will keep you moving and love each other no matter what.
Profile Image for April Johnson.
401 reviews4 followers
May 17, 2015
This series keeps getting better. I love the characters and again the story line was great. This book had be laughing at certain parts. I can wait to see what happens next.
Profile Image for Jessica Mitchell.
2,055 reviews16 followers
June 16, 2015
Libby is still having problems with Blaine's past coming to head. Will she get over it or will they hit rock bottom.
Profile Image for H.B. Jasick.
Author 14 books122 followers
November 15, 2015
Libby got a little more likeable. I really enjoyed this part of the story. I can't wait to read further on. :)
Profile Image for Ashley.
206 reviews
February 29, 2016
I really liked this one better than the first! Blaine is amazing and Libby grew on me! I was hoping for more and didn't want it to end but I enjoyed it so much.
Profile Image for Elizabeth.
80 reviews1 follower
August 22, 2016
Very good

Her good book takes in to the story. You will not want to put it down.can't wait to see what else happens
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews