Start by marking “Dangerous Voices” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Voices

Dangerous Voices

Errik has been a prisoner--and alone--for a long, long time. He lives for the moment each day when the window of his dungeon cell shines a bit of light onto his bearded face.

But everything changes when he gets a new neighbor--a young girl with a voice as beautiful as the springrise.

They both know the rules: No singing. No speaking. Voices are dangerous. But they can't help
Published November 11th 2012 by Rae Carson (first published October 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Voices, please sign up.
Heather Hey I saw your question and in case you have not already figured this out, because I too was intrigued by this story and was interested. I googled and…moreHey I saw your question and in case you have not already figured this out, because I too was intrigued by this story and was interested. I googled and found that you can get it for free as a download ebook. Just use this link to her page where she shares links for different formats and pick what is best for you.

(less)

Start your review of Dangerous Voices
Irene Sim
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Her voice is so soft at first, but pure. A free thing with soaring clarity that makes jagged edges of my heart."

Well, that was unexpected. I'm not often tempted by short stories but if I'm familiar with the author's voice I might attempt to read one. I'm glad I read this one.

I would give this story 5 stars if I wasn't so annoyed by the endless questions that were left unanswered at the end but I guess that's the point in short stories. We get only a glimpse on the plot which in this case was in
StrangeBedfellows
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-at-sbf
First off, this is a short story. And I don't read short stories. I appreciate them -- I once took an entire college course dedicated to short stories, and I learned that there's an awful lot going on in those little snippets. It takes a lot of skill to successfully execute a short story. Often, I feel that only the cleverest of writers can pull it off. Which, I imagine, is part of the reason why I don't read them. Most of the ones I've tried just weren't engaging enough. They couldn't escape th ...more
Keertana
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well...at least no one can mistaken this for being a long story. Dangerous Voices, at under fifteen pages, is too short to make much of a lasting impact. Carson writes beautifully, even that much is evident from this short story, and her imagination runs wild. Quite honestly, I'd love a whole novel centered around this short tale as it has so much potential. Dangerous Voices takes place in a jail cell where Errik is imprisoned for being a music mage. When a new jail mate, a girl whose voice is t ...more
Ashley Ehlers
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short stories and I have a love, hate relationship. I love them cause they’re short and they get right to the point but I hate them cause the authors create a world I want to know more about.

I want to know why this young man is locked up? I want to know how long he has really been locked up as his voice is raw and he has a growing beard? I want to know what are music mage’s? What world they live in where those people have to be locked up?

The wanting is good, makes the read so intriguing and myst
Shambhawi P.
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-freebies
I'd read ANYTHING Rae Carson would write.
ANYTHING.
Katja Weinert
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
In under fifteen pages, Rae Carson, the author of one of my favourite YA series - Fire and Thorns - illustrates that few words are needed to convey what we need to know.

Dangerous Voices is narrated by Errik, who has been imprisoned so long he's lost track of the years. Isolated and broken, he waits every day for the momentary sensations of sunlight filtering through his window onto his cell floor. His appreciation of the sun, his ability to marvel at it's warmth and beauty, helps him to endure.
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I think I would have enjoyed this more if I known about the world. Is this a prequel to a series? If so then I would really enjoy reading it.
Karen
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A devastatingly beautiful story.

It will take about an hour of your time - tops - to read this novella. SO worth it.
Heather-Lin
That was beautiful. Simply, achingly, beautiful.

I was able to read this very short story for free on:

There may be more active links from here:

T.J. Day
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! Except for one thing - I wish I had more. Short stories are never enough for me and the details in the story make me want SO MUCH more. I'd love to know how long Errik had really been in that prison, and why he was there - was it simply because he was a musical mage? Or did he do something else to put himself there?

Saddened by the ending and almost brought to tears. Rae Carson writes with such emotion and you just fall in love with the writing and lyrical beauty of it. I sin
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Dangerous Voices is one those short stories that you finish and then cry because it’s over. This was too damn short. Don’t get me wrong, the story is wonderful but I need this as a book….or at least a novella. The imagery alone is perfection. I do think that Carson managed to do things that most people can’t do in 28 pages. She gave us a story worth knowing, worth reading, and full of human depth. In just 28 pages she manages to tap into your emotions and make you vested in each character’s outc ...more
Dora Okeyo
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Beautiful, yet sad story.
It's told by Errik who has been in some kind of prison, all locked up-and how when he meets a lady Lyri, he starts to remember his life and who he was before he was locked up.
It is great-and I reckon a prequel to a story, I love the angle Rae has used-because she hasn't told much about their world. Why aren't they allowed to speak, or sing? Why are the voices dangerous and all. It's a way to keep readers guessing- and I like it. Can't wait to read the next book.
Lina (From the Verge)
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kobo
Very powerful short story! It's less than 20 pages, so instead of writting a review for you to read, you should just go ahead and read the story.

Funny fact: I didn't realise the main character was male until I came back to Goodreads to write this down. From the cover I assumed it was a woman, lol!
Cheryl (Collier)
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am not a short story fan. I want more of a relationship with the characters I've only begun to know. I am so glad I did not let that bias prevent me from reading this one. Questioning, learning, grieving, enduring, accepting, and finally soaring with the bright spot - don't miss your chance to do all of these through this one story.
Kristy
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short story. I would even have loved to see where it would have gone if it was a novel - the story could have started in so many different places and it could also go in many more places, however for the short story it was it was a nice read.
Amber
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
This is the first short story I've ever read and it certainly did not disappoint!

I would love to see this made into a full length book and learn what happened in the outside world that led to the music mages being imprisoned.

Great short story!
M3tamorphasis11
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Very quick. Rich and vivid with detail. I got the idea of it, but was still a bit lost.
Vera Maslow
Jul 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
I suppose it was a well written short story.
I didn't feel like I could get into this, understand it, or care.
Xhex87
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book wasn't for me, but I gave it a two for how cleanly written it was.
Ally
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an awesome little short story.
Adam Light
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Decent little short story. Evokes feelings of dread.
Carrie Kellenberger
This was a terrific short story that was well written with beautiful prose. I'm not a fan of short stories, but this story about a prisoner named Errik who is imprisoned for using his voice is quite powerful. It's a fantasy tale about a man who has lived in a dark cell for many years, but things change when a young girl with a sweet voice is imprisoned in the cell next to his.

Voices in this world are dangerous, thus no speaking or singing is allowed, but once the young girl starts to sing, Erik
Susan
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting short story. Well written and after reading it I wanted to know more about the world it was set in.
Jovi
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The shiver of warmth starts in my face this time, right where the light shines. I know it's impossible because Llyri's not dead yet. Though she no longer sings, I hear her grunt with each blow. Still, the warmth expands down my neck, filling my chest. Sweet, like honey; comfortable, like an old friend. My hands begin to shake, and I want to dance. This time, I don't resist when the song tumbles from my mouth. My voice is pebbly and scratched, but the power in it rocks the iron door.

"Errik!" she
Ashley Ferguson
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story was short, sweet, and to the point. The concept is really interesting - voices are dangerous and the prisoners cannot be heard using them or they will be killed. This leaves room for so many questions though, and we don't get them all answered. Actually, we get very few answered. Why are the voices so dangerous? Where did the muses come from? How do Errik and all of the others get caught in the first place? Who is keeping them in the prison? I was left wanting so much more at the end ...more
Kat Mandu
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kat Mandu says…

I’m a big fan of Rae Carson’s A Girl of Fire & Thorns trilogy, so I just knew I had to get this stand-alone short. The author brings to life a beautifully weaved story of magic, imprisonment, and breathtaking need.

Errik has been in prison for longer than he remembers, watching and listening as the captives in the cells around him die slowly. Though it’s never said who imprisons them, it gives you the impression that they’re all jailed for being musical mages. They all have muses i
Kerr
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
description

Full review can also be found on: Paein and Ms4Tune’s Book Blog

Having recently read her Fire and Thorns series, I was desperate to get my hands on something else Rae Carson. This was a free e-book via Smashwords and it was a short novella. Very short in fact. It seems to cut off and I'm not sure if there should have been more or not. Well that's easy, there SHOULD have been more, but whether there actually was is another matter.

It's such a little snippet and we're left with so many questions;
W
Teresa
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
since i learnt to write short stories, i developed an increased appreciation for the genre. it's different from writing novels, because all the important information must be tied together properly in a few words. at the same time, it cannot be too rushed. but it must really be compact.

i think Rae Carson's writing style is wonderful, but it's more suited for novel writing. in this short story Dangerous Voices, i didn't fully understand what was happening. until llyri asked if errik was a music ma
Burgandy Ice
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a surprising delight! I'm going to have to stop being surprised at enjoying Rae Carson's writing. Lol. She keeps catching me off guard, though. This time I assumed that a short story written from an elderly male prisoner's point of view would be... *shrug* I don't know, simple? Straightforward?

Nope. There's so much more to singing. Without saying what or why, the story slowly reveals everything without such boring things as explanations. It's beautiful, like the patch of light in Errik's c
Tea Time with Marce
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-on-kindle
From my blog

I have started to read short stories before reading a full work of an author I don't know, I really enjoyed this one. What a surprise to realise this is a known author, The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I would never have considered reading a fantasy novel but the writing style of Dangerous Voices has definitely intrigued me.

I enjoyed the suspense of what was going on. Why are they locked up, why can't they talk or sing. Are the guards coming and what will happen?

I think a conspiracy is
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga, #2)
  • Torn (Trylle, #2)
  • Eureka!: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Ancient Greeks but Were Afraid to Ask
  • About Last Night . . .
  • The Truants
  • UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight (Woven in Moonlight, #1)
  • Cum For The Viking 6
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle #1)
  • Jog On: How Running Saved My Life
  • Maps to Nowhere
  • Hope in a Ballet Shoe: Orphaned by war, saved by ballet: an extraordinary true story
  • Criminal Justice: A Brief Introduction
  • Criminal Behavior: A Psychological Approach
  • Cognitive Psychology: Connecting Mind, Research and Everyday Experience
  • The Serpent (The Gameshouse, #1)
  • Cum For The Viking 2
  • Cum For The Viking 3
Rae Carson was born in 1973 in California and now lives in Arizona. She developed an enthusiasm for storytelling in her earliest childhood. She studied social sciences and worked in various industries after graduating from university before she realized her dream and became a writer. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is her debut novel.

In her own words, she "write[s] books about teens who must do brave

News & Interviews