Start by marking “Fungi” as Want to Read:
Fungi

Fungi

A collection of fungal wonders...and terrors. In this new anthology, writers reach into the rich territory first explored by William Hope Hodgson a century ago: the land of the fungi. Stories range from noir to dark fantasy, from steampunk to body horror. Join authors such as Jeff VanderMeer, Laird Barron, Nick Mamatas, W.H. Pugmire, Lavie Tidhar, Ann K.Schwader, Jesse Bul ...more
Published December 1st 2012 by Innsmouth Free Press

To ask other readers questions about Fungi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fungi

Start your review of Fungi
Gabrielle
How could I resist this? With my borderline obsession with Jeff Vandermeer’s city of Ambergris and its strange mushroom inhabitants – plus the promise of stories by some of my very favorite horror writers; this book jumped into my arms and made me stay up past my bedtime, reading story after story.

Like any anthology, it has a couple of stories that made me go “meh”, but more hits than miss, and they are all refreshingly different! There is horror in these pages, but also humour, whimsy and occas
Karl
May 10, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
TABLE OF CONTENTS: (NOTE: THIS IS the table of contents for the hardcover edition, The TOC for the paperback and e-book is different)

007 - Introduction
011 - John Langan - “Hyphae”
023 - Lavie Tidhar - “The White Hands”
033 - Camille Alexa - “His Sweet Truffle of a Girl”
047 - Andrew Penn Romine - “Last Bloom on the Sage”
067 - Kristopher Reisz - "he Pilgrims of Parthean"
081 - W.H. Pugmire, “Midnight Mushrumps”
089 - Steve Berman, “Kum, Raúl (The Unknown Terror)"
093 - Jeff Vandermeer, “Corpse Mouth an
M Griffin
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fungi, edited by Orrin Gray and Silvia Garcia-Moreno, collects about two dozen weird and fantastic stories focused on the theme of fungus, including mushrooms, molds and a whole related class of bizarre life forms.

I expected mostly dark tales of decay and derangement, but many of the tales here turn out to be lighthearted, whimsical, even silly. Whatever one's preference in terms of tone, Fungi undeniably contains a healthy measure of strong genre fiction. Whether due to my own predisposition t
Justin Steele
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ve said before that original anthologies are usually a mixed bag, and for the most part that remains the case. Therefore, it’s a special thing when one comes out that manages to be great throughout. Innsmouth Free Press, a Canadian “micro-publisher”, has already produced some quality anthologies. Historical Lovecraft and Future Lovecraft both have a spot on my bookshelf, and were quite satisfying. Fungi, their latest anthology, stands as their best work yet.

The brilliant cover by artist Olive
Lena
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lena by: Spells, Space & Screams BOM
Shelves: anthology
444-CED92-FE90-49-BE-801-F-2-DBA63-BA16-E9
The Pilgrims of Parthen by Kristopher Reisz ★★★★★
“Users dreamed of a city — always the same city — an alien ruin...”
This story drew me in like nothing else. It reminded me of time we were all obsessed with Myst. Parthen is the clarion call to the argonaut inside us. I could see it happening!

And dear god, the end...

Letters to a Fungus by Polenth Blake ★★★★★
That was short and hilarious. An escalating series of letters to an invading fungus during suburban warfare.

37-BC6212-EF60-40-E9-98-C6-D50-EBFA96140
Our Stories Will Live Foreve
Tyler J Gray
Jul 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scribd, horror
23 stories. Rated each one (I updated as I was reading) and averaged out to 3.11. Some duds, some ones I liked and am glad to have read. Normal anthology.
A.C. Wise
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
In the interest of full disclosure, I do have a story in this anthology. That aside, I highly recommend picking up a copy. As a physical object, Fungi is gorgeous. Above and beyond the cover art, which initially drew me to the anthology, the hardcover edition has lovely interior illustrations reminiscent of the work of Mike Mignola, and overall there's something very pleasing about the way the book's layout, which is not something I would normally notice. The stories are strong throughout, offer ...more
Frances
A much wider range of stories than I was expecting. You've got some classic fungus/body horror and some sad tales of personal darkness, but there's also Victorian bio-engineering, weird Westerns, dark comedy, science fiction that puts the mushrooms in a very different role from what I was expecting, high fantasy (the old stuff), cross-sections of neighbourhood life that take a dark turn, mind-altering alien invasion, poetry...

I'm sitting here looking over the table of contents, and I really don'
Muchandquick
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First: look at that cover art. Isn't it amazing?

Second: This is a strong anthology. It would be a lie to say I enjoyed every story, but for each story I disliked there were two other stories I really enjoyed. There is a wide spread of stories from humorous to haunting, fantastic to riffs on alternate realities, and damn near everything else in between.

Third: Look at that cover art. Then get this book and read it.
Jessica
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
This was very fun to read. It always seems so difficult to rate a collection of various writers, though, because it never fails that there are stories I really love and others that just seem standard, even almost uninteresting, so I think of this as a high three (since we don't have out-of-ten ratings). I liked that a spec poem was included at the end. Overall, I enjoyed reading it and would probably pass it along to someone I thought would like this kind of thing. ...more
C
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythos-lovecraft
While there are a couple of stories in this collection that left me curious as to why (obviously thoughtful and talented) editors included them, the good tales more than compensate. If you are looking for a great access point into the Mythos or are looking for something other than the standard fare your Mythos works, this is a great anthology. I would certainly recommend it.
Angela
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
very entertaining. Will have to look for some more stuff by some of the authors. I particularly liked the Felix Renn story. As well as a few others.
Leslie
(4.5 Stars)
Frank Errington
Dec 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Fungi is a new anthology from Innsmouth Press edited by Orrin Grey and Silvia Moreno-Garcia. First let me compliment the brilliant cover art from Oliver Wetter. He does a very nice job of capturing the spirit of what lies between the covers of this anthology.

As I read the 27 stories in this collection I found my response to be as varied as the stories themselves. There were some I loved, some I was lukewarm about and others that I just didn't care for at all.

The anthology starts with "Hyphae" a
Jason
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable collection of fungi-themed, weird tales featuring many well-renowned strange fiction writers (Jeff VanderMeer, Molly Tanzer, Laird Barron, among others). What surprised me most, however, were the pieces by authors whose names were a bit less familiar. Two pieces in particular: "Last Bloom on the Sage," by Andrew Penn Romine and "Dust From a Dark Flower," by Daniel Mills stood out to me as exemplar tales of fungal woes.

"Last Bloom" concerns a train heist set in the Weird & Wild West
Heather
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m fond of “cosmic horror,” and a fungal-themed anthology posted under the horror genre sounded right up my alley. While I enjoyed Fungi (edited by Orrin Grey and Sylvia Moreno-Garcia), it wasn’t entirely what I was expecting. Quite a few stories were more whimsical in nature and seemed to have little of horror to them. As is frequently true of anthologies, which are of necessity put together to someone else’s scheme and preferences, you’re unlikely to enjoy all of the tales equally. Mild conte ...more
Aaron
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent anthology from Innsmouth Free Press that centers around fungus great and small. While there are many stories of the Lovecraftian variety, the anthology also includes tales from Steampunk, Western, Fantasy, and other genres I couldn't begin to put a name to. While there were some of the stories that didn't particularly grab me, none of them struck me as a black mark. Personal favorites include "Goatsbride" by Richard Gavin, "Hyphae" by John Langan, and "Dust From A Dark Flower" by Danie ...more
Chadwick Ginther
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I do have a story in this collection, but speaking for everyone else's work, this is simply a stunning anthology. Too many great stories to call out individually, and Bernie Gonzalez's art in the limited edition hardcover is so cool! I'd have read this anthology even if I didn't have a story in it, and I don't even eat mushrooms. ...more
Eric Orchard
The vast majority of the stories here are amazing. I found the ones that interested me most were either the ones with fantastical world building or creepy horror. The subtler stories felt like lost opportunities. Several times I was pleasantly surprised by the tone or approach of a story.
Kate Sherrod
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bedtime-stories
Not a dud in the bunch, but some stories did stand out. Find out which on my blog. ...more
Zeke Gonzalez
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fungi is a collection of 22 short stories & 1 poem that each use the titular organism to tell stories across many genres. While I enjoyed many of the stories, there’s a frequent repetition in the ways fungus is used and the narrative beats of the stories, to the occasional detriment of the stories. This collection is best suited to a reader who is very passionate about the subject & has a preference for dark fiction. Otherwise, these stories could be used as well-written palate cleansers between ...more
Holly Hallam
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personal favourites include Kristopher Reisz, Jeff Vandermeer, AC Wise, Polenth Blake and John Langan.

Wide range of genres including Lovecraftian horror, space westerns, gothic, poetry, high fantasy, detective and comedy, although almost all are SFF. Tonal shifts can make it hard to read the anthology in one go.
Donyae Coles
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went into this expecting mostly dark tales and was really surprised at the wealth of strangeness the covers contained. Not every story was a winner but the wide assortment was def worth reading for me. A pretty solid collection.
E
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A freaky, fantastical, fungal read with a variety of themes. There was very little I didn't like. ...more
Alexander
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A mixture of different genres and styles.

Some are too short for my like, but all in all a pleasant read.
neko cam
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too many of the stories were “just okay”. I lost interest.
itsveryquiet
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A mixed bag, but some great stories in here
Claire
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
not as good as I'd hoped ...more
Jon
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
A large, eclectic collection of short stories that relate to fungi in one way or another. From the expected Lovecraftian-style horror, to altered states of consciousness, fairy tales and even humour - there’s a huge variety of themes on offer here.

However, not every story worked for me, and I probably only really liked around half of the anthology. The stories I did enjoy were really very good, though.
Sascha Stronach
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Really just restating my while-reading review: a real mixed bag. Some are awful, some are amazing, I wish less of them felt the need to go HEY THERE'S THIS LOVECRAFT GUY HAVE YOU READ HIS STUFF WINK WINK.

Overall a decent read.

• Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds, Change Our Minds & Shape Our Futures
  • Dark Hollow (Levi Stoltzfus, #1)
  • Kissing Carrion
  • Judas Goat
  • Midnight Solitaire
  • Sorcerer
  • Rogue
Orrin Grey is a skeleton who likes monsters. When asked, he claims to mostly write oubliettes.