Start by marking “Lexicon” as Want to Read:
Lexicon

Lexicon

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  25,339 Ratings  ·  3,608 Reviews
At an exclusive school somewhere outside of Arlington, Virginia, students aren't taught history, geography, or mathematics--at least not in the usual ways. Instead, they are taught to persuade. Here the art of coercion has been raised to a science. Students harness the hidden power of language to manipulate the mind and learn to break down individuals by psychographic mark ...more
Published June 18th 2013 by Penguin Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Lexicon, please sign up.

Elsof Ellen Page as Emily
Chris Helmsworth as Wil
Anthony Hopkins as Yeats
Omar Epps as Eliot
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Seenhear
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kemper
“Vartix velkor mannik wissick! Vote for this review and then email me your credit card numbers!”

If you followed my instructions, then this is the greatest book ever written. If you didn’t, then it’s a decent thriller with a clever sci-fi hook to it that doesn’t deliver on its full potential.

Lexicon tells two parallel stories. In the first one, Wil is an Australian who is abducted at an airport by a mysterious man called Tom who tells him that he is being pursued by a powerful and dangerous group
Jim Loter
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Were I 20 years younger I would have read this and then immediately rushed to grab books on Peirce's semiotics, Searle's speech-act theory, and Wittgenstein's philosophy of language to produce a conference paper titled something like "Locution, Linguistics, and Lexicon: Words and Gender Power Dynamics in Max Barry's Fiction." But I'm not a graduate student anymore so I can read books for pleasure now!

And, boy, did I enjoy this book. It's as if Barry is one of the "poets" from the novel and he ha
Joel
Oct 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I feel somehow wrong giving a so-so review to a book that I enjoyed and read really quickly, but part of me wishes there was just a little more "oomph" to this book. Barry does a nice job with the structure, giving us pieces that fit together more and more clearly over time (though some of the twists are easy to guess, I was genuinely surprised more than once in the book) and flesh out the world of the Poets in some really nice ways.

But honestly, there should have been more. What's here feels li
Lindsey Rey
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my jam! Recommended for fans of The Magicians, Vicious, and The Night Circus.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
YES YES YES YES YES.

Simple as that.

Max Barry. You either get him, or you don't. So to those poor souls who happen to think his books are total crap *waves enthusiastically at Dan*, I say: I am so sorry. Please try not to feel too bad about this sad state of affairs. It is, after all, not your fault if you were born with Despicable Book Taste (DBT™) (view spoiler).

►► Full Words and Coolness and Violence Oh My Crappy Non Review (WaCaVOMCNR™) to come. Eventually. Say
Amanda
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
3 1/2 stars.

Are you a cat or a dog person?

In the world of Lexicon, your answer reveals everything they need to know about you. Who are "they"? They are the poets, people who are hardwired to resist persuasion and to use language as a weapon against the rest of us. Studying linguistics, personality and psychology, poets have the ability to subvert free will and compel us do as they wish. The most powerful poets are given pseudonyms that appropriately demonstrate their mastery over language and,
Amy Warrick
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was ok

So anyone whose mother ever taught them 'sticks and stones may break my bones..." knows that words DO hurt and they influence people and the pen is mightier than the sword and yadda yadda so Mr. Barry is not exactly breaking new ground here...we are READERS, Mr. Barry, who are reading this book, so, you know, give us some credit. Words be some pow'ful shit.

Anyway, the premise of the book is interesting - persuasive young people are taught mysterious words to use on a variety of personality ty
Regan
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
3.5? 4?

i really really enjoyed the first 2/3 of this book. However, I sorta got lost at the end of the story....
Susan Tunis
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Out of context

Several years ago, I heard author Chuck Palahniuk read a story so disturbing that a woman in the audience fainted. She wasn’t the first. Palahniuk summed it up thus: “The power of words.”

I couldn’t help but think of the above as I delved into Max Barry’s fifth novel, Lexicon. I’ve been a fan of his work since Syrup, so I’m old school. I tend to think of Barry as a satirist first and foremost, so I was surprised when Lexicon opened very much like a thriller. Readers are thrown strai
Susan
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy cow Batman! This was a really terrific story. Just very different. I'm not a huge reader of science fiction or dystopian-type novels, but I love it when I come across a good one. "Lexicon" is definitely a good one.

I actually had to read my way almost 20%-25% into the book before I was totally hooked. I found the beginning a bit confusing, but I sensed it was going to pay off if I just kept reading and it totally did.

Great concepts about language, persuasion, how language can be used as wea
  • Rupetta
  • Jezebel's Ladder (Jezebel's Ladder, #1)
  • The Best of All Possible Worlds
  • Afterparty
  • The Lives of Tao (Tao, #1)
  • The Adjacent
  • vN (The Machine Dynasty, #1)
  • Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden's Syndrome
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
  • Angelmaker
  • Zeroes
  • Necessary Evil (Milkweed Triptych, #3)
  • Strange Bodies
  • Love Minus Eighty
  • The Flight of the Silvers (Silvers #1)
  • Pirate Cinema
  • Shovel Ready (Spademan, #1)
  • The Word Exchange
“People resist a census, but give them a profile page and they'll spend all day telling you who they are.” 71 likes
“every story written is