Start by marking “Zero Hour (NUMA Files, #11)” as Want to Read:
Zero Hour (NUMA Files, #11)

Zero Hour

(NUMA Files #11)

It is called zero point energy, and it really exists—a state of energy contained in all matter everywhere, and thus all but unlimited. Nobody has ever found a way to tap into it, however—until one scientist discovers a way.

Or at least he thinks he has. The problem is, his machines also cause great earthquakes, even fissures in tectonic plates. One machine is buried deep u
Published May 28th 2013 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Zero Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zero Hour

Start your review of Zero Hour (NUMA Files, #11)
Brenda
Kurt Austin was currently on leave in Sydney, Australia where the conference he was attending in the halls of the Opera House was boring him to tears. His escape, on the pretext of taking an urgent call, led him to a young woman who also seemed to be escaping the boredom; plus a helicopter and a fleeing speedboat. The suddenness of Kurt’s awareness of danger came when he heard gunfire; then the crashing of the boat meant he leapt into action. When the helicopter subsequently hit the Opera House, ...more
Jackie
Jun 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Typical Clive Cussler: something to read for an afternoon getaway from reality. True escapism.

Nothing extraordinary; but then again, perhaps being basically free from offensive language might be considered extraordinary in today's world of fiction. I'm appreciative of that - I find myself whining a lot about the pervasive use of offensive language that does nothing to further the plot or characters. My hat is off to those who can weave a grand tale and hold my interest without resorting to such
Jerry
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an exciting adventure! This was definitely a pageturner!
Barbara ★
Clive Cussler writes the best "over-the-top" thrillers. So unlikely but still fun to experience. This one took place mostly in Australia and I simply loved listening to the Australian accents. It made my enjoyment of the story just that much better. I missed a few in the series so there were a few promotions that rather surprised me. Guess I have to back track and read the remaining books in sequence to find out how these events transpired.
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australia
I love Clive. He did a great job researching Australia, but they that read it on Cd not so much. Nobody says "zero zero zero", it's "triple zero". Nobody says the letters A S I O, it's a word a-zee-oh. But I like the story and how he ties in real events. The fake Australian accents were really bad, they should have hired my daughter.
Tory Wagner
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This is part of a long standing sci-fi series with engaging characters and some interesting plot twists. If you enjoy this one, you might want to start at the beginning of the series and see how the story line and characters develop.
Richa
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
A good fast paced adventure, a-la James Bond. Light, frothy, fast, testeterone driven, adrenalin boosting, save the world set up.
Shannon
I finished this one yesterday and it was SO MUCH FUN! How refreshing to read an adventure story, often at sea no less! Definitely will be going to the beginning of this series and starting to read it from there. A total (and often literal) blast!
Barb
This might be one of my favorites of the Numa series so far!!
Kathy Davie
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, action
Eleventh in the NUMA Files action suspense series revolving around Kurt Austin and Hayley Anderson.

My Take
Almost the usual Cussler adventure. Yeah, almost, the earlier novels have a greater sense of action, tension, and drama. I don't know if it's a lack in the writing or if the writing is leaving me ambivalent about the drama because Kurt Austin always saves the day, so I'm not worried. Sure, it's fun, and I enjoy reading it, but my heart doesn't race. The great train hold-up was exciting as I
Susan
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. I’m also a long time Clive Cussler fan and have been looking forward to the release of this book since it was announced. ZERO HOUR is the second collaboration between Cussler and Graham Brown. It is also the latest saga for my two favorite NUMA characters - Kurt Austin and Joe Zavala.

What do Nicolas Tesla, the Great San Francisco earthquake, a sunken ship, and the Australian Outback have in common? They form the backdrop of this K
Kathy Dube
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of Zero Hour as part of a GoodReads first reads giveaway; this review is based on that copy.

I enjoyed the book - it has all the familiar NUMA characters, exciting plot, evil villains, and action you expect from a Clive Cussler book. I liked it more that some other books in this series that I've read; it was fast paced and kept my attention. I recommend it if you like the NUMA Files series.
Kelli
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads first read giveaway!

I have never read a Clive Cussler book before. It definitely reminded me of Dan Brown...action right from the beginning to hook you in from page 1.

I got pretty distracted towards the middle as there were so many characters and side plots going on at the same time, but I did enjoy the book.

Diane
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this installment from the NUMA "files" much more than the past several Cussler novels I have read. Kurt is growing on me, although I still miss Dirk in the field! I haven't particularly enjoyed the Trout novels so having just a touch of them in this one was about right for me. The story line and the extra characters were great.
S
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Clive Cussler always delivers an entertaining, fun read. And this book was no exception. If you want realism, then this isn’t the book for you. But if you want an entertaining, good read, then grab this book, sit down and go for it.
Susan
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
First book like this I've "read" listened to it on Books on Tape. pretty much non-stop adventure, fast action, some fun characters, and enough "science" to be intriguing, made me look up some things to check on reality...Overall, not my cup of tea, but made for a good car book..
Barbara
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Waiting for my nook down load. Love his works.
Mike French
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another page turner by Clive Cussler. If you enjoy thrilling action,adventure and mystery then Clive Cussler is the author for you!
Christina Farley
Listened to the audio with my oldest son who love Cussler. Enjoyable read.
Maria Rose
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is #11 in the Kurt Austin series, which is set at least at the start in Australia, near Sidney where those famous amphitheaters are located right at the water edge. Kurt was at a boring lecture, which he somehow found a way to leave supposedly for some fresh air. He finds an attractive blonde woman, named Haley, who appears to have a problem with one of her high heels. While striking up a conversation, a boat being pursued by a helicopter with guns is racing straight to their location. When ...more
Joel Jenkins
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A disgraced scientist uses Tesla's theories to harness zero point energy in an effort to destroy Australia.

Though side character Joe Zavala is the one who is characterized as the ladies man in all the books, Kurt Austin might be the real player. Each book he rescues and romances a new woman and then we never hear of her again in following books.

In this book, Austin's romantic interest is a lovely blond Australian scientist with Hodophobia (the fear of travel). I would be surprised if she is ev
Timothy Baril
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Zero Hour by Clive Cussler and Graham Brown features Kurt Austin and Joe Zavala on a mission to save Australia, and the world from a mad scientist bent on destroying entire continents.

This book is SO classic-era James Bond. Daring action from the opening pages to the end. Locations from the most remote parts of the Australian desert to the most remote reaches of the southern oceans. There are nukes involved. And dangerous Russian agents. The mad scientist behind it all even has his own secret un
AMIT.S
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am a great admirer of all clive cussler novels. this is my 12 th Numa files Novel which was wonderfully written by the master of adventure novels, who is my favourite author along with James Rollins and whose name is clive cussler. The Numa files characters Kurt Austin and Joe Zavala long with the Trouts , Dirk Pitt and James Samdecker are very beautifully described by clive cussler. This novel is Fast action and adventure set up down under in australia and its neightbourhood Heard Island. Fro ...more
Neil Renneberg
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely an enjoyable read, it is my first Clive Cussler book experience. Written similar to your typical action movie (think of a James Bond movie plot, or your more typical action movies usually starring Jason Statham, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, or Steven Seagal) with a fast paced story line.

I'd prefer to enjoy that kind of story in the form of a movie, but not an unpleasant experience. Will read another Clive Cussler book, but will start with the first book in a series, and I'm no
Jessica
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
My brother in law gave me this book sort of as a joke and with a dare to read it in less than a week. This is not normally a book I would choose to read, it’s really outside of my usual taste in literary faire. But I was recovering from surgery so I decided to just try it. I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would! It is my first Clive Cussler novel. It was exciting, humorous, and very easy to read. I really felt like I was watching a movie. It was super far fetched and unbelievable but it pr ...more
Lynn
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Listened on Audio CD - Scott Brick was pretty good - especially with all the accents. The first chapter he sounded a little hyped up, but he settled down after that.

The story was the typical good Cussler, with a lot of characters and different sites of action to keep track of.

Did a good job explaining Zero Point Energy. Not sure how accurate their explanation is since I got lost in the Wikipedia entry and emerged with no clearer understanding. But it sounds plausible.
Dorothy J. Barkell
Great book!

This was a Kurt Austin book, and along with Joe, a scientist, a party of Russians, and some criminals, the final result was that our NUMA guys prevented a destructive device from annihilating half of Australia. The book was well written, with Cussler's brand of excitement, bravado, and humor leaving you breathless at the end. I loved it! One of the best books by Clive Cussler since the early Dirk Pitt books.
Marietta Slater
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it that Dirk, Sandecker and Hiram were also included in this Austin//Zavala saga. Austin and his crew's mission is to stop a mad scientist from blowing up part of the earth using zero-point energy. Some Russians end up being so-called allies in the search for the mad man. This plot is well developed and is an enjoyable fast read
Colleen
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Clive Cussler book but it won't be my last. I was impressed that although it was #11 of the NUMA files, it didn't require reading the previous novels to get into the story or understand the characters. Lots of action, adventure; great descriptions! The entire time I was reading this it reminded me of James Bond...that's a good thing!
Ready for my next Cussler!
Paul
This was okay.

From the start you sort of knew what was going to happen in terms of the storyline. Having said that the ending was somewhat surprising in terms of the use of nuclear weapons, but not really in terms of you knowing the outcome. Other than that, it's good to see Australia being described in this work.

A good read, but it could have been better.

• Victory and Honor (Honor Bound, #6)
  • Deep Fire Rising (Philip Mercer, #6)
  • Firing Point (Jack Ryan Universe,  #29)
  • Call to Treason (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #11)
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • The Eden Prophecy (Hawker & Laidlaw, #3)
  • Sinister Intentions & Confiscated Conception
  • Long Range (Joe Pickett #20)
  • The Tiger and the Dragon (USS Stonewall Jackson #5)
  • Mirror Image (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #2)
  • Hit List (Stone Barrington, #53)
  • The Ash Doll (Charlie Priest #2)
  • Ninety Degrees North (USS Stonewall Jackson #6)
  • The Iranian Blockade (USS Stonewall Jackson #4)
  • Vulcan's Forge (Philip Mercer, #1)
  • House of War (Ben Hope #20)
  • Bombshell (FBI Thriller, #17)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

NUMA Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Serpent (NUMA Files, #1)
  • Blue Gold (NUMA Files, #2)
  • Fire Ice (NUMA Files, #3)
  • White Death (NUMA Files, #4)
  • Lost City (NUMA Files, #5)
  • Polar Shift (NUMA Files, #6)
  • The Navigator (NUMA Files, #7)
  • Medusa (NUMA Files, #8)
  • Devil's Gate (NUMA Files, #9)
  • The Storm (NUMA Files, #10)