Start by marking “The Founding Conservatives: How a Group of Unsung Heroes Saved the American Revolution” as Want to Read:

The untold story of a small group of founders who prevented radicalism at the dawn of the republic A nation at war. A real estate crash and financial meltdown. Bitter partisan disputes over taxation, the distribution of wealth, and the role of banks and corporations in society. Welcome to the world of the founding fathers. According to most narratives of the American Revol ...more
Published June 13th 2013 by Sentinel HC

To ask other readers questions about The Founding Conservatives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Founding Conservatives

Steven Peterson
Aug 17, 2014 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it
This book addresses a fascinating subject--the differing perspectives of the Founding generation associated with the runup to the Revolutionary War and the war's aftermath. There were a variety of positions among that generation. This book focuses on one group, what the author calls "the founding conservatives." These conservatives were not what we refer to as conservatives in the USA today.

One important point is noted by the author, David Lefer, is the relationship between the thoughts of Ameri
Gerald
Jul 07, 2014 Gerald rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
***Spoilers Alert***
So, I didn't finish this book. It was pretty-well written, but it was too long for me. Nonetheless, I think I got the gist of how the founding conservatives, lead by John Dickinson (according to the author), "saved the American Revolution". There were also juicy facts that I couldn't help not to note.

BTW, this book was written by a self-proclaimed Democrat who thought that the book would annoy all people on the political spectrum.

Basically, the founding conservatives were sav
Pamela
Jan 02, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it
The whole story of the conservatives and the radicals before, during, and after the American Revolution is 1000x more interesting than high school history class had me believe.
Nathan Albright
Mar 06, 2017 Nathan Albright rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge2017
I was given this book by a friend of mine who said the book made him feel rather frustrated, but I'm not sure why that is the case upon reading it. To be sure, the people in this book are mostly obscure, but I was familiar with most of them because of my fondness for history about the American Revolution [1], and the story itself was sufficiently clear to make it easy to understand who was being talked about. In many ways, this book deserves to be a companion volume to Russell Kirk's The Conserv ...more
Casandra Hassett
Jan 04, 2017 Casandra Hassett rated it liked it
It was interesting seeing many of the founders we know and love being referred to as "radicles". I have never seen any other books that go strait to that classification. But, while reading the book the author is pretty good in justifying his words at he start. Then telling the story from this different point of view.

While we focus parts of this story from one person's history we have so many other people who come in and out of the political spectrum of the day and we get a pretty good and broad
Gavin
Dec 04, 2016 Gavin rated it it was amazing
I dawdled with this book for a long time and in retrospect I'm not sure why. It really turned my head around about our Founding Fathers and I made a rush to finish just before starting 'Democracy in America.' Glad that I did because I feel like I have a better sense regarding the debates over the Declaration, the Articles of Confederation, and the Constitution.

Also, I must say that from our vantage point some 240 years after the fact, our FF's were perhaps more intent upon backing our troops, an
Susan Ferguson
Jun 27, 2014 Susan Ferguson rated it it was amazing
Terrific book. I've highlighted bunches of stuff in it.

It tells the story of the conservatives at the time of the revolution, who wanted independence but were not willing to toss everything they knew and had to get it. They were quite willing to fight for it and most of them did. These conservatives kept the American Revolution from turning into a revolution in the style of the French revolution years later. Several times their hold on the government slipped and the specter of overthrow and deat
Adam Carman
Feb 20, 2014 Adam Carman rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent corrective to the politically correct romance of the American Revolution spewing from Right and Left. To those who comfortably relate the tale of how our Founders would already be shooting, Lefer's book should teach that while some of the Founders may have reacted that way, it was the unsung moderates of the tale--men like John Dickinson, James Wilson, and Robert Morris who are often described in the polemics as pro-British--who helped ensure the American Revolution did ...more
Lyn
Aug 05, 2013 Lyn rated it really liked it
Riveting and Powerful!
This book is easy to read and is well written. David Lefer writes the book in a way that makes you ponder and dare to compare the patriots of our past to current day zealots. This book is written for both conservative and liberals because we all share one passion – this great country and wanting it to thrive! This is not a dry history book that merely recites facts; instead there is a rich story to be shared. You will learn a lot about our historical past as well as questi
Connie Farmer
Jun 29, 2013 Connie Farmer rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, well-researched and well-written history of some heroes of the American Revolution who have become lost or footnotes in the popular histories -- perhaps because none of them went on to become President. Well worth reading. After I'd finished the book, I actually missed living with these interesting characters who were so important to our nation's founding.
Patricrk patrick
Aug 29, 2013 Patricrk patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Deals mostly with the politics and political theory during the American Revolution and the leading individuals from the "conservative" side. John Dickinson who wrote "Letters from a Farmer" one of the the most influential pamphlets before the revolution is a main character in the story. I never had pictured John Adams as a radical politician before!
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 27, 2016 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: history
A discussion of the values of the American Revolution and background of several men who helped shaped the republican character of America. While written in an academic mode, The Founding Conservatives is a good read for those interested in the founding of American political thought.
Joseph Malatesta
Dec 05, 2013 Joseph Malatesta rated it did not like it
This book was a joke. This study is a revisionist history that attempts to give credit where no credit is due. If conservatism had won out in the years leading up to the American Revolution, and during the war itself, we'd still be under the Crown's rule.
Rich
Sep 26, 2013 Rich rated it really liked it
A very good book once I got into it. It gave me some new insights into the personalities and debates that shaped us as a nation.
Rick Rowland
Jun 29, 2014 Rick Rowland rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it. Filled with great stories, political and economic theory. Very little filler in here. Just read the book. You'll be glad you did.
Rodneysw
Rodneysw rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2017
Alisha
Alisha rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2015
Pete
Pete rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2017
Michael Hall
Michael Hall rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
James Williams
James Williams rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2015
cquinn
cquinn rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2017
Stan Crader
Stan Crader rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Casey Hinson
Casey Hinson rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Eric Sawyer
Eric Sawyer rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2017
Madeline
Madeline rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
Apr 23, 2017 Laura rated it it was amazing
Great analysis of where/how the conservative movement originated in the founding era.
Kathy Boozan
Kathy Boozan rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Dominic Oliver
Dominic Oliver rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2017