Start by marking “No One Could Have Guessed the Weather” as Want to Read:
No One Could Have Guessed the Weather

No One Could Have Guessed the Weather

2.74  ·  Rating details ·  613 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
If you loved The Girls’ Guide to Hunting and Fishing, this book is right up your alley.” —Isabel Gillies,New York Times bestselling author of Happens Every Day

Sometimes what you want in your twenties isn’t what you want or need in your forties. . . .

When Lucy Lovett’s husband loses his job, she is forced to give up her posh life in London and move their family to a tiny a
Published June 13th 2013 by Putnam Adult (first published May 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about No One Could Have Guessed the Weather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No One Could Have Guessed the Weather

Candy
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wasn't thrilled with this book. A story of 4 different women, and how they are dealing with different changes/experiences in life. I didn't see how the characters really had anything to do with one another. There seemed to be some deceit and back-stabbing. I kept hoping that it would get better, but never quite seemed to get there...
Mayda
May 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
This novel had a lot of potential, but unfortunately, it just didn’t live up to it. The chapters are really short stories that are somewhat linked together, but the result is a disjointed collection. The novel might have been better with less narrative and more dialogue. I never felt that I got to know the three main female characters at all, let alone the men in their lives. I could not relate – or even like – any of them. The character development was shallow, or maybe the characters were just ...more
eb
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it
A weightless collection of linked stories about women living in Manhattan. Most of the characters are American, but they all talk like the Queen Mother—"you lot," "quite liked," "holiday" instead of "vacation," etc. etc. There's no literary merit here whatsoever, but there are plenty of laughs. I'd recommend this one for the plane, or drunken vacation reading.
Terri Jacobson
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A funny, quirky little novel about 4 very different New York City women who meet at their children's
school and become friends. The book has many insights into being a woman and being a mother, and the difficulties that can beset a marriage as the woman reaches middle age. The characters are well-drawn and memorable. The writing is witty and thought-provoking. I really enjoyed this book.
Sooz
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
i'm a little over halfway done this novel. you know one of the things that -as a reader- i have learnt after decades of selecting books to read, is how to pick books that are 'right' for me. there are bound to be slip ups however and this is definitely one of them. unless this book as a stellar ending, i am going to end up feeling very 'meh' about it ... this translates to a 2 star 'it was okay' rating, which doesn't mean the book was really that bad. it just means i made a bad choice.

i think No
PopcornReads
Book Review & Giveaway: The book cover drew me to No One Could Have Guessed the Weather by Anne-Marie Casey (UK title = An Englishwoman in New York). It piqued my curiosity and I had to find out more. When I read the publisher’s brief description, it resonated with me so I knew I had to read it. Other reviewers are comparing it favorably to The Girls’ Guide to Hunting and Fishing, which I haven’t read.

What I can say about No One Could Have Guessed the Weather is that it’s quite a timely pie
Maryann
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is a cliche. Or rather, a whole host of cliches. The poor super rich women are bored with their lives and don't know how to adapt when the market tanks and they have to live "normal" lives. They don't feel fulfilled and have affairs or their husbands have affairs or they gossip about the affairs that are happening. I couldn't relate to any of the characters, ever. Also, the author kept using the British terms for things (i.e. jumper instead of sweater), even though the setting was NYC. ...more
Emily Antonen
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Sex in the City meets Married, With Children.

Four women in New York City deal with marriage, children, aging, oh...and lots of wealth, while they bat around their angst about life and consider whether each has the "splinter of ice" necessary to survive in Manhattan.

The message I took away from this book was that if you have rich friends who purchase you an 8 week writing course (and perhaps have some pull with a publisher,) you can get such a book published and highly placed, which otherwise wo
Pam Gary
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Author Anne-Marie Casey weaves a story of flawed, but likable, fortyish females living their imperfect lives in New York City. Ms. Casey expertly intertwines their lives which includes a wide assortment of life issues: marriage, divorce, children, careers, friendships, wealth, financial loss, affairs, death, and more. She covers it all with smart prose brimming with humor, poignancy, and sophistication.

I particularly liked the very last page which cleverly pulls the story together into a neatly
Jill
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
I don't remember how this book eked up on my to read list. After I read some of the reviews and the dust cover synopsis, I was intrigued, though. While I wanted to like it, and was even prepared for a Sex and the City type indulgence, I felt let down at the end. It seems to be a character study, with a few "dramatic" plot twists that never really actually moved the plot (and were actually predictable). An average summer read, short and sweet, but not my favorite of thr summer.
  • The Wishing Hill
  • Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides
  • Bay of Fires
  • The Girl Below
  • The Mermaid of Brooklyn
  • The Measure of Manhattan: The Tumultuous Career and Surprising Legacy of John Randel, Jr., Cartographer, Surveyor, Inventor
Anne-Marie Casey is a novelist, screenwriter, and playwright. Her film and TV scripts have been produced in the UK and Ireland and her theatrical adaptations of Little Women and Wuthering Heights enjoyed sell-out runs at the Gate Theatre in Dublin. No One Could Have Guessed the Weather, her first book, was an international bestseller. She is married to the novelist Joseph O'Connor. They live in Du ...more
More about Anne-Marie Casey...