Start by marking “Die Empty: Unleash Your Best Work Every Day” as Want to Read:
Die Empty: Unleash Your Best Work Every Day

Die Empty: Unleash Your Best Work Every Day

Most of us live with the stubborn idea that we'll always have tomorrow. But sooner or later all of our tomorrows will run out. Each day that you postpone the hard work and succumb to the clutter that chokes creativity, discipline, and innovation will result in a net deficit to the world, to your company, and to yourself. Die Empty is a tool for individuals and companies th ...more
Published September 26th 2013 by Portfolio (first published May 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Die Empty, please sign up.
Nahid You'll get a bit inspiration at the beginning of the book. But as you proceed, you will succumb to boredom.

Start your review of Die Empty: Unleash Your Best Work Every Day
Heidi The Reader
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Your days are finite. One day, they will run out. As a friend of mine likes to say, "You know, the death rate is hovering right around one hundred percent." pg 3

Todd Henry has given the world a call-to-action with Die Empty. The book is one big reminder that one day you (yes, you!) will die and he imparts some useful tools to help you discover what you're meant to do and then to do it to the best of your ability.

"If there is one overriding goal of this book it is this: to bring a new found clari
Laura Leaney
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
The first 30 pages or so resonated with me, mostly because I waste a lot of time deviating from well-intentioned plans. I also love the title. The rest of it was painfully boring. Better self-help lessons might be found in the writings of Marcus Aurelius. I'm pretty sure he "died empty" without giving too much thought to catch phrases like the "Seven Deadly Sins of Mediocrity."

The author's ideas are fine, but the writing is dull and clichéd: Engage today with urgency and diligence. Plant seeds
Emma Sea
Jun 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
The book sat very uneasily with me, for more reasons than simply the repetition of bland aphorism. It's clear Henry's target market is the middle-class white-collar worker, and although Henry discusses entrepreneurs in many places, the overall tone of the book is very much that the cure for a meaningless paper-pushing middle-management life riddled with Koinophobia is to put more energy into your work; all your energy; all your drive.

When Henry talks about frustrated staff who whine, "My manager
Todd
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A disclaimer is in order. I have been a Todd Henry enthusiast since I read his first book, The Accidental Creative: How to be Brilliant at a Moment’s Notice. His regular podcast is on my weekly “must listen to” list. I was thrilled when I heard the title and theme of his second book. I’m what business guru, Ken Blanchard, calls a “raving fan” of Todd’s work. Admittedly, I’m biased not just because we share the same first name.

Die Empty: Unleash Your Best Work Every Day is about how we can unle
Chung Chin
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
From the cover jacket - "Die Empty is a tool for people who aren't willing to put off their most important work for another day. Todd Henry explains the forces that keeps us in stagnation and introduces a process for instilling consistent practices into your life that will keep you on a true and steady course."

Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But since no one was listening, everything must be said again. - Andre Gide

This quote came to mind as I was reading through the book
Reem
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Die empty
. it is not about getting everything done today.
. it is not the same as “live like there is no tomorrow.
. it is not about following your whims.
So what does Die empty mean?
1- Your days are numbered – finite- someday they will run out, Do not waste the opportunity.
2- You have a unique contribution to make to world.
3- No one else can make your contribution for you, Do not make yourself a victim.
4- Your contribution is not about you; cultivating a love of the process is the key to m
Emily Reeves
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous read about making a difference in your life each and every day rather than living by your to-do list. I will keep this by my side as a reference and reminder to live and act with purpose.
Þórsteinn Ágústsson
The title says it all, the book is empty!
Pretty dull, full of common truth told much better elsewhere. Had to force my self through 3/4 than I couldn´t take it any more
Reemi
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
*Finished this book* during the COVID- 19 quarantine. 31 March , 2020 11:45 PM.*

"It's easy to get lost and wake up many years later in a strange land asking yourself, "where am I, how did I get here, and how do I go back ?" "

This is one of the few nonfiction work-related books I've read, which is not my to-go-to genre, so this book was like a sweet introduction to that.

Die empty is a book that discusses how to treat your job the way it should be treated, it claims that unlike most books and opin
Mason
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: first-reads
If there’s one book that America’s politicians should be reading, it’s Die Empty: Unleash Your Best Work Every Day by Todd Henry. Although the book is aimed at creative professionals, and they’re used for most examples, the principles and insights gleaned can relate to anyone that’s willing to get honest with themselves and open up to Henry’s advice. Die Empty is less about a stringent set of rules and tasks that you must accomplish and more about adopting a different mindset. Henry makes sure t ...more
Ryan Boomershine
I read a few books like this a year, because I feel I must. I do desire to keep some sort of finger to the pulse of what modern man finds to be the answer to productivity and effectiveness, and this book is really well reviewed.

This book is to productivity jargon what the Moulin Rouge is the can-can. [By that I mean it is a sort of epicenter, if you must know why I must deal in crude metaphor.]

In fact, Henry skirts alongside biblical mores the whole book through without ever hitting them head-on
Loren
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: to-be-sold
What a disappointment. I read the first chapter for free and was intrigued enough to download the worksheets and order a copy of the book. Unfortunately, the book is not geared toward "creatives" at all, but people laboring for start-ups and larger businesses, "creating" under the gun for their corporate masters. It's about making yourself feel better about pouring your soul into work for someone else's profit.

Reading this book was less an exercise in getting out of it what I put into it and mor
Banner
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Motivational talks don't usually touch on death, this one built it's premise on the fact that you are going to die one day. To quote, "the death rate is hovering somewhere around 100%". Given this unavoidable fact, how does this effect your life decisions? What we regret most is not living up too and fulfilling our potential. Life is full of unrealized dreams and goals, not because they were attempted and failed, but because we chose the comfortable path and just didn't really try.

Through a cou
Annie
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
The title "Die Empty" gives the impression on how to be ambitious and driven to achieve all your dreams. This was more about methodically improving yourself and picking the things that are important. He gives an example of how his son had hurt himself by trying to jump two steps at a time going downstairs. He freaked out from the crying and was ready to enact a new rule of "no jumping on stairs". Then he stepped back. This was the first time it happened. Obviously, his son felt the pain of makin ...more
Ben Nesvig
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
If The War of Art, So Good They Can't Ignore You, and chapter 4 of The 33 Strategies of War had a book baby, this would be the result. And I mean that in a good way. The book has a lot of solid applicable advice that anyone can use to be more effective, get clarity, and do better work.
Melanie
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Outlines seven ways that humans fall into stagnation or mediocrity not only at work but also in other areas of our lives. Describes each factor and how to remedy it in a easy to understand way. I recommend it to anyone that what to improve their life.
Julie
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
An honest, practical read that applies to everyone. A good book that will make you think.
Candle
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What Die Empty Doesn't Mean

The phrase "die empty" could easily be misunderstood to mean spending every ounce of yourself on your career.

the words "DIE EMPTY!" in an attempt to squeeze a little more effort

No one else can make your contribution for you
Waiting for permission to act is the easy way out. Everyone has to play the hand they're dealt. This
means that you can't make a habit of pointing fingers, blaming others, or complaining. As painful as it
can be, unfairness is baked into every aspe
Lisa
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-list
Really enjoying Todd Henry’s books for creative workers. There are a lot of good tips and advice in what I’ve read so far - and he has a lot of free resources on his website as well!
Gabrielle
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Classic “new year, new you” read. Lol at myself.

It was good. The stuff about the traps we fall in to - especially the trap of comfort - resonates.

The privilege of being able to spend time finding the thing you’re uniquely suited to though. Sometimes I sicken myself. Four stars.
Kamie
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, nonfiction
"Be fiercely curious" 👍👍
Donna
Inspirational business read on how to figure out and focus on what's most important to do right now to reach long-term life and work goals.
Andy
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
MMM... The main innovation was an alliteration: mapping, meshing, making. This is equivalent to the old concept that there are three broad categories of jobs (working with Ideas, People or Things) and that each of us tends to prefer one over the other two, but needs to do all three to some extent. I think the old way of talking about it is clearer even if it isn't alliterative. The examples used to illustrate concepts are pretty superficial or else are lifted from other books. It's not malarkey, ...more
Jess
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, business
This book's a great complement to David Allen's Getting Things Done (GTD). I read GTD shortly before reading Die Empty. GTD teaches you how to be organized and productive. Die Empty helps you figure out how to be productive, but it also helps you determine your goals. The author explains how to pinpoint your goals, make sure they're the right goals, and make a plan for reaching them. This applies to your personal life and your professional life.

(Disclaimer: This is what I got out of the book. T
Jeff
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This book has a great title and starts off with promise, but gets bogged down with to many rules and things you have to do to be successful. I think it would be nigh impossible to do everything the author suggests and have any time or energy left to do your best work. Much of the material is not new, but has simply been renamed. On the plus side, I appreciate the author's emphasis on developing character. Many of the principles are based on character traits of honesty, humility, perseverance, et ...more
Catherine Gillespie
Die Empty includes a lot of the same concepts as The Accidental Creative, including advice on how to curate the flow of media you’re subjected to, ideas for how to have weekly and quarterly self-assessments of all of your work and life activities, and how to maximize your focus. It does contain a bit more information about goal setting and how to leverage your focus, time, and energy to be sure you’re really being effective in the roles you identify as your priorities.

{Read my full review here}
Jennifer Louden
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Highly useful. I read Todd's first book, Accidental Creative, and found it useful as well, although he does write more for people in organizations then self-employed but still, easy to apply most of the ideas.

This is a book you need to read through, and then decide how you will apply it. I will not be applying all his ideas - they are a bit complicated and overwhelming at first blush, but I will be adapting quite a few.

Read with a highlighter!
Brady
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Another bland self-help book with too many "do it this way or your life won't be important" manifestos. The title was good, but there didn't need to be a whole book declaring every practice you need to do in work and life to make it happen.
Tommy Kiedis
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insight. Great ideas. Great void.

In Die Empty: Unleash Your Best Work Every Day, Todd Henry, self-professed "arms dealer for the creative revolution" offers every-day practical help for people who want to operate at their best.
People “sense they have something more to give, but they can’t quite put their finger on why they’re stuck in first gear. They have a nagging suspicion that they are capable of contributing more—maybe even being truly brilliant at something—but have no road map for
Nicholas Majula
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read.

This book is about cultivating the mind-set and the methods you need to unleash your best work each day, and to increase the odds that, at the end of your life, you will not regret how you spent your days.

Todd Henry unloads everything (questions, practices, insights) and honestly it can be overwhelming at times. In some instances I felt the book dragging and I could sense a strong feeling of boredom. I didn't find everything to be particularly useful to me but this book has incredible
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Book Review 1 2 May 31, 2019 02:16AM

• Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
  • The 5 Elements of Effective Thinking
  • Maximize Your Potential: Grow Your Expertise, Take Bold Risks  Build an Incredible Career
  • Design Is a Job
  • Tetris: The Games People Play
  • Hot Dog Taste Test
  • Smartcuts: How Hackers, Innovators, and Icons Accelerate Success
  • Possible Minds: 25 Ways of Looking at AI
  • Rich Dad's Before You Quit Your Job: 10 Real-Life Lessons Every Entrepreneur Should Know About Building a Multimillion-Dollar Business
  • التداوي بالفلسفة
  • It's Not All About Me: The Top Ten Techniques for Building Quick Rapport with Anyone
  • Mind Your Breathing : The Yogi’s Handbook with 37 Pranayama Exercises

News & Interviews

“We need to fall in love with the process, not just the end product of our work.” 7 likes
“Make sure that you’re nurturing your process. It’s the only thing you can truly control, and it’s the thing you’ll always have regardless of where you end up.” 5 likes